No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your private messages are full. Here is an addendum.

Okay, winter temps could go as high as 50's with lows in the 40's. It has been at least 15 years since we've had a week long that doesn't get above freezing but it has happened before. Quite often in February we'll get a stretch in the mid 60's. Gives everyone spring fever.

Also, you can go from the Pacific ocean to the ski slopes in less than three hours. Pretty cool, huh?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I so hope that the weeny teeny crabs are feeling better on the morrow.
      What topics are you working on - re schooling - at the moment ????
      You just never know - Gwamma knows alot of Sh-t about nuffink - and the crablets might be interested !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
        I so hope that the weeny teeny crabs are feeling better on the morrow.
        What topics are you working on - re schooling - at the moment ????
        You just never know - Gwamma knows alot of Sh-t about nuffink - and the crablets might be interested !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
        Thanks! Both of my sickos are sleeping at the moment, but that happened just a few minutes ago. Thank goodness - it is only almost 2:45 in the morning here!

Lemme' see... First is all about stories, especially folklore, myths, mythology, classics, and cool children's books. She will probably be a librarian, especially a children's librarian. Currently she is looking for myths and mythology and fables from further afield than what is commonly read here, so if you can recommend good books on Maori/kiwi folk tales and stuff like that, First would be truly grateful. She is also doing well in a Fine Arts+history and culture of Europe class that she takes weekly at her piano school - teacher is accredited, so it counts as a high school credit without any "but you homeschooled it" hassles.

Fourth is learning some geography by looking up all the places on her horse game app for the iPad - each breed of horse she encounters, she looks up where the breed originated. Huge geography lessons in conjunction with watching Ewan McGregor's "Long Way Down" and "Long Way Round" world motorcycle tours (DVD). If you haven't seen them, they are a really fun watch!! We just did the Great Backyard Bird Count at a local nature center over the weekend. Google it - cool ornithology stuff! And she is still all about the dinosaurs - she just got a dino app for iPad that requires the user to build Jurassic Park, and she goes around saying stuff like "Mom! My gallimimus grew!" At this point, she has pretty much exhausted the dinosaur book selections at three libraries.

Second is playing her heart out on the piano. She likes darker stuff - Chopin's Funeral March, the music from a lot of Tim Burton movies - especially The Corpse Bride. And cooking - single-minded, she is. She wants to be a special-diets chef, so she sees no point in learning anything else... Sigh. I get in her way and make her do other things, too, but we butt heads on that. She recently told me that if I could somehow tie all of her learning into cooking, then that would be okay. So I told her this - fine, you will do geography (for example) by learning the location of the countries of production of each spice and herb in my cupboard. And before you think this is easy - I have one helluva spice rack!!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
          Your private messages are full. Here is an addendum.

Okay, winter temps could go as high as 50's with lows in the 40's. It has been at least 15 years since we've had a week long that doesn't get above freezing but it has happened before. Quite often in February we'll get a stretch in the mid 60's. Gives everyone spring fever.

Also, you can go from the Pacific ocean to the ski slopes in less than three hours. Pretty cool, huh?
          Oops - just made some room!

I have already begun my county list...
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Chefs need good French, Italian and possibly a host of other languages - polyglot as well as polygeuomai. Yes, I googled 'geuomai' - my Greek is not up to chef standards. Could do a lot of social history through food, too - who ate what when and why...the fall and rise of the oyster as a social signifier. The gentrification of gumbo. The potato famine...

One of my medical editors does historical articles with an O&G bent - did Empress Josephine have chlamydia? - and such like. It's amazing how you can find other subjects within an area of interest if you look. (Sure you know all about this - your lessons sound fab.)
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I have to say I concur with second, I think she could learn just about everything through her area of interest. Okay I'm a little biased, since I'm a former chef. Recently I started listening to "Consider the Fork: A History of How We Eat and Cook" it's a great history book that might capture her interest. When you think about it, just about all subjects can easily be covered under cooking: math is obvious, to make the math more challenging she could imagine she is cooking for 150 guests, for history she can research a particular period and design a menu accordingly, for writing there are plenty of options like writing a restaurant review.

DS's area of interest at the moment is a bit challenging for me; he's almost exclusively into gaming, weight lifting and target practice. I have almost nothing to add to that list! He and I are working on Vedic Math together but I can't say he is passionate about that. He's also into learning computer coding, something else I know nothing about. I was able to direct him to The Uncollege site which has a lot about coding. UnCollege - Hacking Your Education
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Wow this home schooling stuff sounds really interesting.
                What ages are the troups CC?
                and did I send you my email?
                I have a heap of 'down under' ideas that would love to skype, email or post

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  Wow this home schooling stuff sounds really interesting.
                  What ages are the troups CC?
                  and did I send you my email?
                  I have a heap of 'down under' ideas that would love to skype, email or post
                  First is 16, Second is 14, Third is 12, and Fourth will be 10 soon. Homeschooling IS interesting! The first thing I would tell you about it, though, is that no two families do it exactly the same, because each family's impetus for pulling their kid(s) out of public school (or not enrolling them in the first place, like I did with the three who stay home), goals for their kid(s), and beliefs about what "education" is or isn't, will be different. Add to that the natural variation in learning style, personality, and realities of each youngster's home life, and no two homeschools will be the same. And I see that as a positive - wonderful flexibility. And boy, do you grow as a parent and person when you take something like this on!

Comment

• Has First come across Angela Carter's collections of fairytales? Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales: Angela Carter: 9781844081738: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

• I bet it has been an amazing experience.
                      Gwamma has her thinking cap on - however she is first doing a wee bit of experimentation of her own!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                        I have to say I concur with second, I think she could learn just about everything through her area of interest. Okay I'm a little biased, since I'm a former chef. Recently I started listening to "Consider the Fork: A History of How We Eat and Cook" it's a great history book that might capture her interest. When you think about it, just about all subjects can easily be covered under cooking: math is obvious, to make the math more challenging she could imagine she is cooking for 150 guests, for history she can research a particular period and design a menu accordingly, for writing there are plenty of options like writing a restaurant review.

DS's area of interest at the moment is a bit challenging for me; he's almost exclusively into gaming, weight lifting and target practice. I have almost nothing to add to that list! He and I are working on Vedic Math together but I can't say he is passionate about that. He's also into learning computer coding, something else I know nothing about. I was able to direct him to The Uncollege site which has a lot about coding. UnCollege - Hacking Your Education
                        This interconnectedness of all knowledge is what drew me to research Unschooling in the first place, and the more I deal with it, the more it internalizes.

I just read Second the sentence where you concur with her interest area... Her response - "Woo Hooo! Yeah!!" First just put a hold on the "Consider the Fork" book at the library, thanks!

Hmmm... What kind of target practice is Son into? And what gaming does Son do?

We have a couple of books in our schoolroom devoted to anatomy for weightlifters - "Strength Training Anatomy" by Frederic Delavier. And amazoning around, I found this: "The Perfectible Body: The Western Ideal of Male Physical Development" by Kenneth Dutton - the description sounds really interesting - how to reconcile Western Civilization's belief in the physical being as fallen/imperfect with the historical/artistic record of depicting (super)human perfection as a conspicuously masculine physique. And "Venus with Biceps" by David Chapman - you gotta look at that description! I just may get that title!

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                          Has First come across Angela Carter's collections of fairytales? Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales: Angela Carter: 9781844081738: Amazon.com: Books
                          Nope - but since you have given us the title, First is exploring as I type... Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                            Nope - but since you have given us the title, First is exploring as I type... Thanks!
                            Women who run with Wolves is a classic too. I like to look at fairy tales and see how the archetypes are used in women's writing (my MA dissertation [thesis in Yank speak] was on the poet HD and her relationship with/use of the imagery of mythology to exert a poetic voice/identity). There's plenty to dig into there, I should think

Comment

• DS likes shooting his 22 rifle with DH. I don't go with them but I hear his aim is getting very good. Lately DS has been playing Team Fortress 2, it's a co-op game he plays on line. In April for DS's birthday I have agreed to take him to a gaming event about 3 hrs form here. From what I understand players bring their computers and play together, there are tournaments and prizes. As a parent I'm curious to meet the people he plays on line with. I guess I'll just bring some knitting or felting to keep myself busy.

So far DS hasn't been interested in anatomy, but I think I want to check out that book Venus with Biceps!
                              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Hey, Gwamma, if you read this, I am not ignoring you - Third and I are just having one helluva day. She had a seizure this morning - her first ever, and was transported by ambulance to our local medical center, and from there then transported to the Cleveland Clinic where we were admitted. We both are tired and she is holding up well, despite having an IV port inside her elbow. EEG and EKG tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X