No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So - we are at Christmas Eve day, and I have a huge food project going. In its most outrageous form, I want to (eventually) cook a "Dinner" (with a capital D) for each Sunday of Advent, plus Yule, and then Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and follow that up with a riff on the Twelve Days of Christmas (with a Dinner) until Epiphany.

As all things are cancelled here because of Christmas and Third's school break (no therapy, no sports, no outside lessons, no doctors, no nuthin'! for a whole week), I have the at-home time to spoil my people with food. Since Second wants to be a chef, First likes to bake, Fourth needs the kitchen lessons, but ALL love to EEEEEEEAT, they all help. Makes for memories, better cooking, and the food hits the table faster. It is good all around.

After a few years of hoping, I still haven't managed to get all the Sundays of Advent, but this year, I managed to catch Yule and the fourth Sunday. Here is the breakdown so far:

Yule: black forest ham, crab-stuffed mushrooms, mushroom soup, roasted brussel sprouts, salad of iceberg and English cukes (Fourth likes iceberg - yuck, but we were trying to specifically please her) with homemade vinaigrette, roasted/salted baby potatoes, and my mom brought homemade raisin bars (a surprise)

Fourth Advent: Boeuf Bourguignon (the real deal, whole bottle of wine and all), frisee/red Boston/romaine salad, mashed potatoes, fresh hot bread (First baked) for those who could eat it, gluten-free and wheat versions of brownies, and a pumpkin custard for Third (made from fresh pumpkin that First baked)

Christmas Eve: whole pan-fried mackerel, blue hubbard squash soup, green beans, roasted beets with lemon, baked red potatoes, and a lemon granita

Christmas Day: roasted duck, spinach dip with melba toast or carrot sticks, wild mushroom soup, buttered peas, scalloped potatoes (using coconut milk), gluten-free chestnut stuffing, eggnog (I always wanted to make a real one), and a pear tart
    ----

the Boeuf Bourguignon was awesome! The black forest ham was okay, but I actually had had my heart set on a venison or something suitably wild but couldn't source it in time, so I will have to be better prepared next year.

Merry Christmas to all!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Merry Christmas! All the meals sound delicious, especially The Christmas Eve menu!
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• If my life at Crabbcakes Manor were a reality show, here would be the first five episodes...

First Episode is titled "Do Not Leave Whole Fish Outside And Unattended When You Live In The Woods"
        Family mother, thinking that using the natural cold of an early-winter day to keep freshly thawed fish outside to chill until it is time to cook Christmas Eve dinner is a Good Thing, suffers the natural consequences of such an action by having two of the six beautiful, whole mackerel simply disappear. An intense search, by flashlight, of the porch, deck, and surrounding sidewalks and lawns yields no clues whatsoever. Her family is still fed fish, just not as much as had been hoped for, to the disappointment of all.

Second Episode is titled "Read The Labels, Dummy"
        Oldest daughter, distracted by heaven knows what, gets cornish hen out of the freezer instead of duck for Christmas Day dinner, as her mother had requested. The mother, stupidly thinking that a teenager can read labels and/or tell the difference between a teeny-tiny Cornish hen and a much-larger duck, doesn't double-check. The family doesn't suffer much, as the daughter does remove 6 hens and the family therefore is well-fed for dinner, but the mother is still slightly miffed.

Third Episode is titled "Spell-Check Exists For A Reason"
        Family mother, thinking she proofreads well enough, discovers that her online forum journal title has a spelling error that is just noticed as said journal enters its sixth month of existence. Mother suffers vague feelings of stupidity. On the other hand, the spelling error in question is in regard to a location name, the inhabitants of which are definitely not known for academic brilliance, so the family mother flips-flops between feelings of educational inadequacy and bouts of giggles.

Fourth Episode is titled "Does It Hurt If You Shoot Me In The Butt With My New Nerf Gun?"
        All of the family's children receive Nerf guns for Christmas from the family father, and all guns can be loaded with multiple darts. The family mother has to put up with foam darts sticking out from all smooth surfaces in the house before the children decide to shoot each other in the butt, copying Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame). Just to feel the pain - if any. The mother secretly decides that having her children shoot each other with soft plastic is infinitely preferable to them shooting each other with pennies out of an air cannon, as Adam had challenged Jamie to do.

Fifth Episode is titled "Is The Ketchup Still Good If I Poured My Half-Eaten Peas Back Into The Buying Club-Size Container?"
        The third daughter decides to be frugal and save her half-eaten peas by pouring them into a gazillion-ounce jug of Heinz ketchup while nobody was looking. Obviously, at least to the daughter, it was a brilliant idea as the peas were themselves covered in ketchup during the family dinner. The family mother has a spat with the family father over the usability-slash-hygiene of the ketchup remaining in the jug. The family mother disposes of the gazillion ounces of ketchup, whereupon the now angry family father makes an outing into town to procure more ketchup before the KT's set in (ketchup tremors - from a sudden withdrawal of the condiment).
        Last edited by Crabbcakes; 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM.
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• DUCK is now thawing for tomorrow's dinner...

Comment

• Happy New Year, everybody! May you all have a very Primal year full of love, good food, fitness, fun, and reached goals!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              Happy New Year, everybody! May you all have a very Primal year full of love, good food, fitness, fun, and reached goals!
              Same to you CC. My best to you and yours

Comment

• Happy New Year Crabbcakes! (I'm only a few days late!) I'm happy to say I reached my goal of 10 full push-up. DS is pushing me to do more sets, yesterday I did 5, spread out over the day & evening. If any one would have told me this time last year I'd be able to do 50 push-ups in day, I would have said they must be talking about some one else. I've never considered myself strong so it goes to show you can change even at the ripe age of 52!
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Happy New Year, Journal!

Time to re-evaluate, reflect, gossip a bit, and maybe set some goals...

Gossip first, shall we? Yesterday I scored big at a salvage grocery - I found a brand-new Benriner spiral slicer at half off! I have had this on my wish list for a while now, after discovering its existence on a lot of raw-food sites/in raw food books. Second is currently spiral-slicing every potato in the house and making a spiral-sliced pan-fried large-as-a-plate fried-in-lard hash-brown-style potato pancake for everybody in the house. I just got mine, topped with two over-easy eggs... YUMMMMMMM!

I am holding steady at the third hole on my Belt Measure, despite my extended holiday season, which kicked off mid-November with my trip to the Vaterland. I got Mark's new Sauces and Dressings cookbook for Christmas and have already made the Onion Gravy, which Crabbcakes, Hubby, First, Second, and Third proclaimed to be anywhere from good to delicious. Fourth spit it out. But Fourth is notoriously picky. Truly, I am seriously beginning to believe Fourth is a super-taster for real - she can detect the smallest nuances in flavor. That would also explain her absolute love of plain food - everything else is overwhelming to her.

And we bought a new car Monday night. Our beloved Chevy Venture is on its last leg - the check engine light is on again (we have already replaced the engine once), there is a horrific vibration coming from the front end (which a bearing replacement did not fix and three mechanics cannot further explain even though they hear it and feel it), also a huge squeak just like a bed spring also from the front end, 180,000+ miles, and a badly rusted suspension. We have been searching for the perfect replacement car for a while, knowing that cars are not immortal, and made our decision - a 2013 Toyota Sienna. So after a Ford Bronco (sold a long time ago), a Buick Skylark (a '79 waiting in the barn for restoration), a '99 Chevy Astro (still owned by us and running well), a Chevy Venture, a Chrysler LeBaron (hubby's almost-antique convertible in mint condition), a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee (still owned by us and running - our 8-cylinder I'm-stuck-on-this-hill-in-the-snow car) and two Mazda Protege (one driven to death at 250,000 miles; the second is currently with us and is Hubby's commute-to-New Jersey car) - this mostly American-made family has chosen a Japanese ride. Four days in.... and we LOVE THIS CAR.

----

Rehash of 2012: I went Primal. I joined the MDA. I survived one Whole30. I did get healthier and happier and thinner, my sleep is more ordered now, my moods are more stable, and my self-esteem is up. I didn't really get more fit. 'Cause I am a lazy snot with the WOMing, I know. All in all - very positive and definitely better than the same time one year ago!

----

Goals: Having a hard time with this. That Germany trip was such a motivator, and now I don't have anything external that is that powerful. I was thinking just this morning that it would be a good thing to simply continue with my journey along the Belt Measure. I have two holes to go - this is a 5-hole belt - and I would dearly love to lose a few more inches around the waist (it is still bigger than necessary). SO... (drum rolllllllllll)

CRABBCAKES NEW GOAL IS TO LOSE ENOUGH BODYFAT/INCHES TO COMFORTABLY FIT INTO THE TIGHTEST HOLE ON THE BELT MEASURE BY MAY 31ST.

Which date just happens to coincide with some little birdie's birthday, btw...

So, Journal, that is all for the moment. It has been good to get back to you, and I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store!
                  Last edited by Crabbcakes; 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                    Happy New Year Crabbcakes! (I'm only a few days late!) I'm happy to say I reached my goal of 10 full push-up. DS is pushing me to do more sets, yesterday I did 5, spread out over the day & evening. If any one would have told me this time last year I'd be able to do 50 push-ups in day, I would have said they must be talking about some one else. I've never considered myself strong so it goes to show you can change even at the ripe age of 52!
                    Party at Forager's place!!! That must be the best feeling, being fit like that. Isn't the Primal thing just amazing at times?!

I think I could do 3. Once. With bad form. But I have noticed that as my moods and sleep stablilize, getting the fit thing going is getting a wee bit more attractive.

I have been debating whether I should just go and buy that YAYOG book and start making my way through it - in fact, I think I will go into the office and have hubby hit amazon right now...

Comment

• Yeah it feels pretty good after a lifetime of thinking of myself as somewhat of a weakling. My form on the push-ups isn't all that great so now I'm working on improving my form. DS and I use the PBF, focusing on doing the 4 primal moves, it's available for free down load. Some find it a little boring but I like the way Mark clearly demonstrates the progression of each movement, so I know when to move on to the next level. I tried other routines that I found on youtube and I found that I couldn't really asses my progress and most seemed too advanced for me.

We had a Benriner spiral slicer at a restaurant I worked at, we used to cut beets on it and garnish salads with them. It's funny how that impressed people. I always thought I would like to have one at home. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. It must be fun to have a kid that's into cooking, I would love to have some one else in the house enjoy cooking, and make me breakfast! DH does sometimes make me breakfast on the weekend.

GAPS is much more doable now that we are on "full" GAPS. DS will be off steroids in 1 month then he will join us on full GAPS. I don't think I will have him do the intro, I think it may be too challenging and put him off to the whole thing. One thing I need to find out is if he can still have his raw goat milk. I'd hate to have him give it up, we have a goat share so we could substitute kefir for milk but no one here cares for the kefir, too sour.

Comment

• HELP WANTED AD...

SOMEONE WHO CAN EXPLAIN, IN WORDS A TECHNOLOGY-IDIOT CAN UNDERSTAND, HOW TO ADD ONE OF THOSE CUTE QUOTESY ADD-ONS LIKE LOTS OF FOLKS HAVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR REPLY BOXES...

I found a really inspiring quote, and I would like to add it. I am clicking around here, looking for the magical button that has "push here to add quote" on it, but haven't found it...

Thaaaaanks...

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                          HELP WANTED AD...

SOMEONE WHO CAN EXPLAIN, IN WORDS A TECHNOLOGY-IDIOT CAN UNDERSTAND, HOW TO ADD ONE OF THOSE CUTE QUOTESY ADD-ONS LIKE LOTS OF FOLKS HAVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR REPLY BOXES...

I found a really inspiring quote, and I would like to add it. I am clicking around here, looking for the magical button that has "push here to add quote" on it, but haven't found it...

Thaaaaanks...
                          the button you are looking for is EDIT SIGNATURE.
                          You can find it by going to FORUM ACTIONS>GENERAL SETTINGS and you'll see it in the sidebar on the left, about halfway down.
                          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Testing...

YooHoo!!!!

Thanks, badger!!!

Comment

• Nice quote! And well done, you are a good learner!

Comment

• So. In keeping with the spirit of all those poo-less threads on here at the moment, I have gone poo-less and used baking soda only the last time I washed my head...

And Holy Saint George, Batman! Those dragon scales I have been dealing with at the hairline are seriously diminishing!! I just looked for them, as the bedhead could seriously use some attention this a.m., and I actually had to looooook - mostly they greet me by falling out of my hair all by themselves when they get to missing me.

I'll be damned.

Comment

Working...
                                X