waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD, you make my heart melt.

Also, the small boy's school melts my heart. I would crawl over broken glass to ensure that he stays there (and some days Australia does rather seem an incredibly hostile environment for husband and me). I've been thinking about this a lot this week as today marks the end of his first year - called prep here - at the school. Truly, it has been a year of miracles and wonders. I cannot adequately describe what school adds to our family life. Except... read the emergency plan and see the care and attention paid not just to physical safety (and bushfire is a THING here), but also to emotional wellbeing (the line about older children being on the window seats to protect and comfort the younger children had me tear up).

And the school's FAQ - where else would you find a school that says 'take risks'?

I think school has made us better parents. Certainly it has empowered small boy to question us when we are displaying less than optimal parenting - and that is no bad thing. If I can give him one gift it will be to know, from an early age, that his parents are fallible humans, just like all other humans. We have no special insight or power over him.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• That's one hell of a emergency plan.... And that's a great post, all they positives, I'd be trying to think about that for a good while, It'd make my mood better, just to forget about all the other stuff for a bit!

Comment

• Replying to you here Badger - thanks so much for your warm welcome back! So lovely to read that Haha, I return for MDA wise advice whenever I have a crisis

I'm not uptodate with anything but I hope you're doing really well <3 xx
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Aw, YB - we missed ya.

A 40C day today. Too hot for me. I can cope up to 30, but after that the synapses fuse. Our house has single glazing and no insulation: in winter it's freezing and in summer an oven. We have a small (ineffectual) AC unit in the living room and a portable evaporative cooler which merely moves damp air around a bit. Tonight's going to be ghastly as the weather's not supposed to break until late tomorrow morning.

Departmental lunch - duck risotto in a swanky pants restaurant and two glasses of pinot. Dinner was cold cuts and spinach/tomato salad.

Thinking of Christmas lunch options. We always do rib of beef as husband thinks poultry is a very inferior type of meat. However, most unusual for me, I have yet to decide on any of the sides/courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            Aw, YB - we missed ya.

A 40C day today. Too hot for me. I can cope up to 30, but after that the synapses fuse. Our house has single glazing and no insulation: in winter it's freezing and in summer an oven. We have a small (ineffectual) AC unit in the living room and a portable evaporative cooler which merely moves damp air around a bit. Tonight's going to be ghastly as the weather's not supposed to break until late tomorrow morning.

Thinking of Christmas lunch options. We always do rib of beef as husband thinks poultry is a very inferior type of meat. However, most unusual for me, I have yet to decide on any of the sides/courses.
            Bit toasty that, hottest day in me life was in Melbourne, 45C in the shade, coming from not so sunny Brizzle in December, you could feel yourself BBQ in the sun....

We used to have Beef Welly for that same reason, got a leg of lamb this year....

Comment

• Today was cooler, thank goodness.

Going to a crimbo party tomorrow. I was asked to bring a gluten-free, nut-free dessert for 30. I made this, sans pastry base, scaled up to ten eggs:
              How to make the perfect black forest gateau | Life and style | The Guardian

Never done one before and so far I've only done the cake bit, but it seems to have worked. Also we have to take a 'crap kringle' gift to exchange. I found a book of Australian rural erotica - Fifty Bales of Hay - and a Girl Power Karaoke DVD.
              Last edited by badgergirl; 12-20-2013, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• holey moley Badger - that is one helloffa temp !!!!!!!!!
                even thirty in the shade is about 10 to hot for this old Gwamma.
                you must be sooooo proud of small boy. I love the school plays/shows, and I cannot wait to see my wee grandsons in their school productions, althou we have a wee of time before then !!!!!!!
                would lovwe to see a piccy of the quilt !!!!!

I have just finished two queen sized knitted/ crocheted blankets for Mum and Dad, and my sister and Hubby. Phew - I can tick that chrissy pressie off the list !!!!!
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Today was cooler, thank goodness.

Going to a crimbo party tomorrow. I was asked to bring a gluten-free, nut-free dessert for 30. I made this, sans pastry base, scaled up to ten eggs:
                  How to make the perfect black forest gateau | Life and style | The Guardian

Never done one before and so far I've only done the cake bit, but it seems to have worked. Also we have to take a 'crap kringle' gift to exchange. I found a book of Australian rural erotica - Fifty Bales of Hay - and a Girl Power Karaoke DVD.
                  Blood 'yell, the BFG looks richer than the Sultan of Brunei....Me and me brother and the old man used to give each other crap crimble pressies, we'd have a right laugh, I must confess wearing thermal long johns under me shorts at a restaurant in the kangaroo grounds for Christmas dinner was a test, mind you he had a bobble hat and mittens on....

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  holey moley Badger - that is one helloffa temp !!!!!!!!!
                  even thirty in the shade is about 10 to hot for this old Gwamma.
                  you must be sooooo proud of small boy. I love the school plays/shows, and I cannot wait to see my wee grandsons in their school productions, althou we have a wee of time before then !!!!!!!
                  would lovwe to see a piccy of the quilt !!!!!

I have just finished two queen sized knitted/ crocheted blankets for Mum and Dad, and my sister and Hubby. Phew - I can tick that chrissy pressie off the list !!!!!
                  Hiya G, hope you're good and the old fella....I'm with you on temp, I wilts when its too warm....and you've been busy with the needle ain't ya

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    Blood 'yell, the BFG looks richer than the Sultan of Brunei....Me and me brother and the old man used to give each other crap crimble pressies, we'd have a right laugh, I must confess wearing thermal long johns under me shorts at a restaurant in the kangaroo grounds for Christmas dinner was a test, mind you he had a bobble hat and mittens on....

Hiya G, hope you're good and the old fella....I'm with you on temp, I wilts when its too warm....and you've been busy with the needle ain't ya
                    I wrapped the wifes big present in 2 different wrapping papers... one is a green background with fir trees and the like, the other paper is a Disney Princess wrapping paper, and I put a big red ribbon, a spray of cranberries and 2 different colored bows on each side of the cranberries... It looks right atrocious... which was the intent.... Bear in mind this present is about the size of a 2 drawer filing cabinet.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      I wrapped the wifes big present in 2 different wrapping papers... one is a green background with fir trees and the like, the other paper is a Disney Princess wrapping paper, and I put a big red ribbon, a spray of cranberries and 2 different colored bows on each side of the cranberries... It looks right atrocious... which was the intent.... Bear in mind this present is about the size of a 2 drawer filing cabinet.....
                      Lol, must look right divine....one year I thought it'd be a wheeze to wrap everything in toilet paper as it was all crap, 'till I found out it's semi-transparant and took about 3 times as much....

Comment

Lol, must look right divine....one year I thought it'd be a wheeze to wrap everything in toilet paper as it was all crap, 'till I found out it's semi-transparant and took about 3 times as much....
                        but it's a totally recyclable material!

Comment

You should have used quilted.

Comment

oh quilted wrapping paper would have been bonus!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              but it's a totally recyclable material!
                              After the crimble day indulge, it didn't go to waste (no pun intended, err)....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                              Lol, so using Izal, weren't me best move then....sigh, if only I knews then what's I knows now.....

Comment

After the crimble day indulge, it didn't go to waste (no pun intended, err)....

Lol, so using Izal, weren't me best move then....sigh, if only I knews then what's I knows now.....
                                so THATs the brand the US Navy uses.... we just called it 400 grit.... I have often wondered where that stuff came from... Now I know... it's imported! Nothing but the best for the boys in blue!

Comment

Working...
                                X