Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    You know us....Sleeps well......when you gets to it!
    While the cats away..... hehehehe

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
      While the cats away..... hehehehe
      Squeek, squeek....

      Comment


      • I've embroidered 52 daisies this weekend (I was right, I did do the maths wrong - total number of 60 daisies). I've decided to bind the quilt by hand too - may as well make the whole thing hand sewn and, also, I've just acquired a new machine and now it not the time to start learning how to use it.

        OY VEY. Can I bind a quilt in ten days (six of which I'll be at work)? I suppose we'll find out. I predict I will still be sewing on Christmas Day.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
          I've embroidered 52 daisies this weekend (I was right, I did do the maths wrong - total number of 60 daisies). I've decided to bind the quilt by hand too - may as well make the whole thing hand sewn and, also, I've just acquired a new machine and now it not the time to start learning how to use it.

          OY VEY. Can I bind a quilt in ten days (six of which I'll be at work)? I suppose we'll find out. I predict I will still be sewing on Christmas Day.
          Hand binding is going to be easier than sewing all those daisies! What kind of binding do you use? We use a 2" strip of fabric, pressed with selvedge edges together, sewing the selvedge to the front of the quilt and wrapping the binding over and sewing with a blind stitch on the back of the quilt. We have found the double layer of the binding holds up better.....

          Comment


          • But doesn't it need to be cut on the bias to go round the corners?
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              But doesn't it need to be cut on the bias to go round the corners?
              Not if you miter the corners...
              Last edited by ssn679doc; 12-16-2013, 02:18 AM.

              Comment


              • aah. well. maybe next time
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                Comment


                • The lady in the quilt shop in Maldon explained that doubling over trick, Doc, but my quilting fu was insufficient for the task. I can cope with drawing around a template, but measuring and rotary cutting are beyond my ken. Because of this, the strips I cut were too narrow to double over, or so I thought. In the end I hand-sewed one strip and then broke down and used the new machine for the rest of them. Essentially, it's bias binding as I'm tucking in the hem on the back as I go and hand sewing - is it called whip stitch? - the back. I think mitred corners are also beyond my limited capabilities, but I'll see if I can make sense of a few youtube tutorials. Photos will follow. If I have time I might add a few - 10 - extra daisies as I am not sure I have enough points to secure the three layers. I might also machine quilt in the centre of the green border to help secure the thing. Then a gentle launder and a press and DONE! Ta-da. I conservatively estimate it's the product of 500 hours of manual labour. It's the most professional-looking quilt I've ever managed, but still there are mistakes or infelicities aplenty and I shall be pleased to wave it goodbye. Husband will deliver it as I am not attending the inlaw's festivities (it has to be said that this is no great loss to me).
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                    The lady in the quilt shop in Maldon explained that doubling over trick, Doc, but my quilting fu was insufficient for the task. I can cope with drawing around a template, but measuring and rotary cutting are beyond my ken. Because of this, the strips I cut were too narrow to double over, or so I thought. In the end I hand-sewed one strip and then broke down and used the new machine for the rest of them. Essentially, it's bias binding as I'm tucking in the hem on the back as I go and hand sewing - is it called whip stitch? - the back. I think mitred corners are also beyond my limited capabilities, but I'll see if I can make sense of a few youtube tutorials. Photos will follow. If I have time I might add a few - 10 - extra daisies as I am not sure I have enough points to secure the three layers. I might also machine quilt in the centre of the green border to help secure the thing. Then a gentle launder and a press and DONE! Ta-da. I conservatively estimate it's the product of 500 hours of manual labour. It's the most professional-looking quilt I've ever managed, but still there are mistakes or infelicities aplenty and I shall be pleased to wave it goodbye. Husband will deliver it as I am not attending the inlaw's festivities (it has to be said that this is no great loss to me).
                    lol... I doubt that rotary cutting is beyond your ability.... I mean, seriously, with what you do for a living, measuring and cutting is easy peasy... just takes a bit of practice. YouTube videos would be a great way to learn! I look forward to seeing pics of your finished quilt! 500 hours if a f*!^-ton of work.... Good on ya for doing it.... You are a better person than I am..... No blaming you for no wanting to go to "festivities"...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      I look forward to seeing pics of your finished quilt! 500 hours if a f*!^-ton of work.... Good on ya for doing it.... You are a better person than I am..... No blaming you for no wanting to go to "festivities"...
                      And me, on the pics.... shit yeah, that's some graft, cap doft BG....and me on the better person....and hell yeah, on the festering-ivities, I'd imagine there'd be a better atmosphere on the moon!

                      Comment


                      • Badger, your quilt is testimony to your creativity, skill and Perseverance with a capital P. Amazing work, well done and I can certainly understand your relief at finally reaching completion and handing it over. May it help to cover over the rough patches (for want of a better phrase) in your relationship with the recipients. Bless you. x
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                        Comment


                        • Thank you, everyone, for your kind words re quilt. Honestly, I cannot explain the feelings that accompany projects of this magnitude and - thinking back - I've felt differently about each of the three I have now done...except to say that there comes a point of total disengagement from the artifact I have manufactured. I'm at that point now. I'm ready to send it off into the world and never see it again. Of course, I hope that it's an olive branch, given the current situation, but this project has spanned a whole year, has accompanied me to the UK and back - it encompasses far more than this current upset (to me at least, to them it might always be a reminder of rancour...and I'm okay with that, too).

                          Went to small boy's first ever school musical last night and it truly was what you would expect from a school that values the children's learning experiences over catering to adult expectations: chaotic, exuberant, creative, anarchic and wonderful. There was Dr Who, Star Wars, evil Blitzen, Harry Potter, Christmas and interpretive dance. A cast of 100, from the preps to the grade 10s and the teachers, entertained an audience of dazzled relatives.
                          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                          Comment


                          • Ah, I should clarify. I'm bowing out of the in-law (they have unique funny name that combines well with the F-word, I'm sorry I cannot share it with you) festivities mainly to ensure that mad SiL feels able to attend. I think she needs the effing-laws more than I do.
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                            Comment


                            • No matter the feelings it was made with, it's still an achievement, my lack of patience alone wouldn't even allow me to attempt it!

                              An evil Blitzen, noooooo, he could never be such a thing.....Sounds an, err, interesting show with that cast, to be sure....

                              Kudos with the inlaws as well, no point in making a potentially shite situation shiter....

                              Comment


                              • School musical sounds fantastic, we've had a few good ones here too and I love them. Well done to Small Boy, hope he had a great time.
                                Annie Ups the Ante
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X