Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    And sausage & bacon to boot, oh yeah!

A bit extreme, but maybe something almond flavoured....
    Almond flavor.... hmmm cyanide would be less exteremme than Haldol? lol.....

Hydrogen cyanide (HCN) and cyanogen chloride (ClCN) are colorless-to-pale yellow liquids that will turn into a gas near room temperature. HCN has a characteristic odor of bitter almonds,
    https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/...st_CBRN.htm#03

Comment

• I can't get involved. All I can do is watch from the sidelines and grind my teeth. Terrence and Karen need to talk to each other and make joint decisions, without me getting husband to stick his oar in again.

When we first moved here, Annabel came round every night and stayed until 11pm. In the end, husband had to tell her to stop (which is when she started actively avoiding me - yay) whereupon Annabel told husband she thought she was helping us and that we were lonely. Er. Words failed me.
      Last edited by badgergirl; 09-26-2013, 01:50 AM.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I can't get involved. All I can do is watch from the sidelines and grind my teeth. Terrence and Karen need to talk to each other and make joint decisions, without me getting husband to stick his oar in again.
        Your probably better off on the sidelines, frustrating as it may be, can't see no winners in this game!

Get yourself a gumshield to save the gnashers....

Comment

• Boys are off to the beach tomorrow. Today was a lazy day - I even had a midday nap.

B: bacon, six rashers; coffee (no other options as we needed to get groceries); tsp p'nut butter
          L: tiny bowl of broc and blue cheese soup, small handful of macadamia nuts; three mugs of milk - all that bacon made me gaspingly thirsty
          D: pork ribs, roast beetroot and brussels (boys get spuds and carrots as well)

Half my plate was brussels - heaven is a charred, salty, garlicky brussel sprout. Now, what shall I eat and cook while the boys are away and I don't have to pander to their palates? I have avocados, red cabbage, aubergine, smoked salmon, eggs, beef, sour cream...

Also, there's a bucket of milk magically making yoghurt in the oven right now. Suddenly, Monday morning seems a lot less depressing.
          Last edited by badgergirl; 09-28-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Sorry about the family drama.

Half my plate was brussels - heaven is a charred, salty, garlicky brussel sprout.
            + a gazillion. I also occasionally do them in olive oil 'til the edges are charred. Much salt and garlic of course. My mother, bless her often mediocre cooking skills, used to boil them until they were almost mush. My brother and I would rub them on a stick of butter to give them some flavor.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              Sorry about the family drama.
              Thank you. Luckily they're only inlaws and husband thinks they are crazier than I do. He's ready to disown them all, whereas I keep a facade of pleasantries going.

Right. The boys are at the beach from now - Sunday afternoon - until Wednesday evening. I've cleaned the house and cooked a ton of food that they don't like. My freedom is mightily curtailed by the realities of the working week, but I'm feeling positive that I will be able to enjoy my quiet time.*

B: two eggs scrambled with butter and dill, 200g of smoked salmon, coffee
              L: cream of broc soup, slice of 'Tasty' cheese
              D: chili made with: three habanero chilis, an aubergine, three courgettes, two red capsicums, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, liquid smoke, allspice, cinnamon sticks, cocoa powder and STEAK. Clearly, there is a large pot of leftovers... Served with half an avo and sour cream. WHOOOOO!

I also walked the dog. Half an hour turned into an hour and a half when I managed to get myself lost! Never mind, we both enjoyed it. The weather today was glorious.

*Alone time can so easily tip into self-destruction dressed up as ultimate indulgence: drunk at breakfast and scoffing blocks of cheese and/or chocolate. Now, work will help me avoid that and I've committed to nourishing myself and exercising like a responsible adult instead and, truly, eating and living well (in peace and quiet with my own tastes fully engaged rather than compromised for the family) is a LUXURY. I've got myself some diet tonic water and the tree will supply infinite lemons. There is a serious amount of hard liquor in the house ready for the husband's 40th birthday weekend with his buddies, but that shall remain untouched.
              Last edited by badgergirl; 09-29-2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Alone time is going well so far. The house is clean, my meals cooked. I got to bed at a good time last night after watching a cheesy movie* - a rare treat. Only. I. Did. Not. Sleep. Tossed and turned for four hours before hitting the Dimetapp. Left husband's temazapan in the cupboard - if taken halfway through the night it leaves me with boiled cabbage for brains the next day.

B: yoghurt, coffee
                L: three mini saveloys, thai pumpkin soup
                D: chili, sour cream, half an avo

* Sliding Doors. The fashion hasn't dated too much and her haircut is fantastic, still, but her eyebrows are MIA, drawn-in brown lines and it's really disconcerting. All-in-all it stands up surprisingly well. Some of the dialogue is a joy - I particularly enjoy Russell, the cheating boyfriend's best friend. I found myself identifying some oddities - since when are people allowed to stare into operating theatres and, later, if someone flatlines, don't staff run in? Anyway, enjoyable silly nonsense and in my tossing and turning waiting for sleep last night I thought I might also revisit Paltrow's other early-English-phase movies: Shakespeare in Love and Emma.
                Last edited by badgergirl; 09-29-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Guess who was in my house when I came home?

Comment

• Once the doubtful guest had been ushered out of the door, last night's alone time was magical. I have a new London Review of Books to read and my chili was spectacular. Very abbreviated screen time and an obscenely early night saw me getting a solid nine hours sleep last night - bliss!

All my meals are the same as yesterday, minus the cheeky sausages:
                    L: thai pumpkin soup

I'm fitdaying again to see if the demon drink really is the reason for a lack of weight loss (here's a clue for you [me]: YES, IT IS). Scores for the day are 1,350 calories: 55% fat, 24% carbs, 22% protein.
                    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-01-2013, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Once the doubtful guest had been ushered out of the door, last night's along time was magical. I have a new London Review of Books to read and my chili was spectacular. Very abbreviated screen time and an obscenely early night saw me getting a solid nine hours sleep last night - bliss!

All my meals are the same as yesterday, minus the cheeky sausages:
                      L: thai pumpkin soup

I'm fitdaying again to see if the demon drink really is the reason for a lack of weight loss (here's a clue for you [me]: YES, IT IS). Scores for the day are 1,350 calories: 55% fat, 24% carbs, 22% protein.
                      Yeah for long sleep! I typically only get 5-6 hours a day... part of why I'm a curmudgeon....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                        Yeah for long sleep! I typically only get 5-6 hours a day... part of why I'm a curmudgeon....
                        For the first two years of small boy's life we got by on four or so hours a night. It destroyed us. When he finally started to reliably sleep, only waking once or twice, the fog started to lift and we realised, in retrospect, we'd been unhinged. I blame a lot of the poor-decision making we displayed during that time on profound and prolonged sleep deprivation.

Comment

For the first two years of small boy's life we got by on four or so hours a night. It destroyed us. When he finally started to reliably sleep, only waking once or twice, the fog started to lift and we realised, in retrospect, we'd been unhinged. I blame a lot of the poor-decision making we displayed during that time on profound and prolonged sleep deprivation.
                          Understand that... my 2 boys are 13 months apart.... Could explain some of my decisions as well.... that, and I was just an idjit at the time....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            Understand that... my 2 boys are 13 months apart.... Could explain some of my decisions as well.... that, and I was just an idjit at the time....
                            The joys of on-demand breastfeeding: I had amenorrhea for THREE YEARS. No Irish twins for me... Of course, that needn't have stopped husband from procreating elsewhere, but neither of us had the energy for playing the field then.
                            Last edited by badgergirl; 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• And so, like all good things, my alone time will come to an end today. I fully anticipate the house being in chaos when I return and the noise and irritation of the evening to back in force. Le sigh. I have not missed the XYs, indeed I only wish they'd taken the dog with them and my XX time could have been unpolluted. But then I suppose the dog was someone to talk to.

This is also the last day of identical meals for a while.
                              L: thai pumpkin/carrot soup
                              D: beef chili w/sour cream (I forgot to add the avo last night and didn't miss it)

I expect I'll be on bath and story, as is only fair after three nights off. God, the glamour that is my life.

Comment

And so, like all good things, my alone time will come to an end today. I fully anticipate the house being in chaos when I return and the noise and irritation of the evening to back in force. Le sigh. I have not missed the XYs, indeed I only wish they'd taken the dog with them and my XX time could have been unpolluted. But then I suppose the dog was someone to talk to.
                                And the dog don't answer back....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                                I expect I'll be on bath and story, as is only fair after three nights off. God, the glamour that is my life.
                                Pure Rock 'n' Roll....

Comment

Working...
                                X