Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    Why is it that push ups make my neck hurt? Am I doing it wrong?
    Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?

    Also, to quote from another similar thread a while ago:

    Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    Check out this video of push-up form, or just right-click and download it to your desktop to watch it. Regardless, be ready to lower the volume. It might help.

    Also, have someone who knows what a push-up should look like watch you do some. It can be very hard to self-analyze: "My back IS straight!" "...no, man. It's really not." Your form might be great to start, but flag after X number of reps. Someone watching you can help you to spot that point and fix it (and recognize what the fix feels like to you, so you can do it yourself from there on out).
    Last edited by Misabi; 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
      Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?
      I've been balancing on a fitball thing as I'm not strong enough to do a full push up (though I'm working on it), so on the way back up my neck - in fact my back - does arch up.

      Oh dear. I've watched the video. Thank you for reposting it for me. I fear I am full of crossfit fail. I shall try harder.
      Last edited by badgergirl; 09-09-2013, 01:41 AM.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I will be working until the day I die at this rate - I've done the calculations.
        Not good, lotto win might be yer best way out....

        Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        Melbourne is a notoriously windy city. I mainly wear skirts and dresses rather than trousers. I've had too many Marilyn moments for comfort so now I nearly always wear a slip, but sometimes it, well, slips when I run. Oh, the hardships etc.
        Must be an absolute chore....My recollection of Melbourne weather, is being a bit 'changeable' at times, can't recall it being overly windy, mind you that was in 1989 and 1994, so it might have changed or my memory is toilet!

        Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        That's what I was worried about. Sit ups make my jaw and throat ache for much the same reason. The soreness is where the shoulders join the spine and leaves me feeling slightly queasy. I should probably ask husband to correct my form, but that's kind of humiliating so I avoid asking.
        You might have to bite the bullet and ask, or have you got a mirror to hand check the old form?

        Originally posted by Misabi View Post
        Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?

        Also, to quote from another similar thread a while ago:
        That's what I should have advised, well said sir.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
          I've been balancing on a fitball thing as I'm not strong enough to do a full push up (though I'm working on it), so on the way back up my neck - in fact my back - does arch up.

          Oh dear. I've watched the video. Thank you for reposting it for me. I fear I am full of crossfit fail. I shall try harder.
          So your hands are on the ball, feet on the floor and trying tokeep your body straight?

          How low is the ball? Is your form better if you use something higher such as a chair or table?
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

          Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

          Comment


          • Pushups are done with my knees/shins resting on the ball - I guess that is odd, but it sort of works. Focused on a relaxed neck and the stiffness does seem to be receding. Mental health day, today. As recorded here, it's been brewing for months. Slight allergy feeling (itchy eyes, nose and throat) and a bad night's sleep tipped me over the edge. Stayed home and sewed while watching crappy movies on husband's second screen - he was doing digital art on his first screen. Food wasn't full-on depression awful, but it wasn't great either.
            Big B: coffee x 2, yoghurt x 2, 1T p'nut butter
            L: nachos - corn chips, cheese, salsa, sour cream (see what I mean?)
            D: rump steak and stir-fried veggies (beansprouts, mini corn, onion, green beans)

            ETA: my jewellery arrived today.

            The necklace is a gift, but I'm keeping the earrings... most out of character but SHARK TEETH for SHARK WEEK! Can I hear a 'that's awesome?' Yes, I can. And the helterskelter shells? Dunno why, they just sang my name.
            Last edited by badgergirl; 09-10-2013, 02:05 AM. Reason: added SHARK TEETH
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              Pushups are done with my knees/shins resting on the ball - I guess that is odd, but it sort of works. Focused on a relaxed neck and the stiffness does seem to be receding. Mental health day, today. As recorded here, it's been brewing for months. Slight allergy feeling (itchy eyes, nose and throat) and a bad night's sleep tipped me over the edge. Stayed home and sewed while watching crappy movies on husband's second screen - he was doing digital art on his first screen. Food wasn't full-on depression awful, but it wasn't great either.
              Big B: coffee x 2, yoghurt x 2, 1T p'nut butter
              L: nachos - corn chips, cheese, salsa, sour cream (see what I mean?)
              D: rump steak and stir-fried veggies (beansprouts, mini corn, onion, green beans)

              ETA: my jewellery arrived today.
              The necklace is a gift, but I'm keeping the earrings... most out of character but SHARK TEETH for SHARK WEEK! Can I hear a 'that's awesome?' Yes, I can. And the helterskelter shells? Dunno why, they just sang my name.
              Press ups that way should be harder than doing them on the flat, more shoulder involvement, gravity etc, at least the pain is less....

              We all take one for the queen (as they say) now and again, sod um, as I say, the worse they can do is sack you!

              Food, not as if you ate two dozen duff nuts covered in a bag of Tate & Lyle, and dinner was spot on?!

              They shark earrings are savage, don't wear it meself, but that's proper jewellry.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                Press ups that way should be harder than doing them on the flat, more shoulder involvement, gravity etc, at least the pain is less....
                This is strange. On the ball is definitely easier than standing (so to speak) on my own two feet. If I try to do them without the ball I cannot get a full range of movement - my pushups are dips from the top to halfway down rather than the full nose to the floor range of motion. With legs resting on the ball, I can get fully down and fully up.

                Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                We all take one for the queen (as they say) now and again, sod um, as I say, the worse they can do is sack you!
                I have the sick leave accrued, but I rarely get full-on sick (and when I do I usually come in to work anyway). However, I do find myself mentally weary, especially given that weekends are given over to parenting. I require quiet alone time far more often than I get it. I also feel under pressure to save my annual leave in case I have to make a dash to the UK for any reason. So, I'm aiming to end the year with 10 days of leave in the bank. It's harder to come to work in the lulls, like now, where there's really not much to do.

                Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                Food, not as if you ate two dozen duff nuts covered in a bag of Tate & Lyle, and dinner was spot on?!
                Exactly, usually a day at home leads to crazy comfort eating or wild indulgence of another kind. Instead, this time, I just plugged away at the patchwork and made solid progress. The deadline is looming and I need to speed up/devote more time to the sodding thing. However, there may be wine tonight. Also, I'm baking a cake for a co-worker's birthday - so, no time to myself this evening to do patch.

                Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                They shark earrings are savage, don't wear it meself, but that's proper jewellry.
                I'm not a jewellery wearer either - indeed, I had to re-pierce my ears to get the teeth in - but those barbed undies/shark's teeth really spoke to me.

                On to today...
                B: yoghurt, coffee
                L: curried pumpkin soup
                D: pork steaks with... not sure yet.

                Making chocolate and beetroot cake for co-workers with cardamon cream cheese icing. New recipe! Hope it turns out okay...
                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                Comment


                • It might be the pivot point for the press ups, try them full with your hands on a coffee table or something elevated?

                  Seems strange to me accrueing sick leave, admittedly in my first job you only got sick pay after 10 years service, so you got out yer death bed so as not to lose money, that was in the dark ages though....Mental's just as good a reason as physical to have one in my eye.

                  Not a sweet person, but that cake sounds bizarre!

                  Comment


                  • Scrapped dinner plans and took the boys out for Thai food. Then back home to make beetroot chocolate cake I used 85% Lindt. I made cream cheese icing and flavoured it with ground cardamon, inspired by this.

                    My London Review of Books has arrived no sewing tonight.
                    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                      Seems strange to me accrueing sick leave, admittedly in my first job you only got sick pay after 10 years service, so you got out yer death bed so as not to lose money, that was in the dark ages though....Mental's just as good a reason as physical to have one in my eye.
                      Isn't that illegal?
                      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                        Isn't that illegal?
                        It is now, I think, this was back when the world was black and white mind, well the mid/late eighties!

                        That cake still sounds bizarre....

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                          Not a sweet person, but that cake sounds bizarre!
                          I think you're a sweet person... Will try your pushup tips tonight.
                          Right, off to ravish the LRB. Whheee!
                          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                          Comment


                          • I think the cake sounds amazing, will you be able to resist it?

                            I made a carrot cake to share with friends this week. By the time I reduced the sugar and subbed coconut for half the flour it was almost primal. Because I knew this, I succumbed to two slices.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                              I think you're a sweet person... Will try your pushup tips tonight.
                              Right, off to ravish the LRB. Whheee!
                              Don't get called sweet too often, almost got a blush on! Hope the P/U's work & enjoy your ravishing....

                              Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              I made a carrot cake to share with friends this week. By the time I reduced the sugar and subbed coconut for half the flour it was almost primal. Because I knew this, I succumbed to two slices.
                              You little tinker, you....

                              Comment


                              • That cake would have been primal (or faileo), I realised afterwards, if I had used almond flour instead of plain flour. Hmmm...
                                B: yoghurt
                                Morning tea: slice of cake
                                L: duck risotto, crème brûlée, glass of red
                                D: two glasses of red, 10 popcorn kernals, frangellico, yoghurt

                                Not my finest hour...
                                Last edited by badgergirl; 09-12-2013, 02:19 AM.
                                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X