Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Pieced Diamonds - free quilting instructions

I'm not sure if you are familiar with strip piecing diamonds.... but this might be an easier method of making diamonds, and avoiding the sewing on the bias....
    Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    You are one creative mama BG, I'll give you that, they're stunning, and where do you find the time?
    I sew on the train in the morning. Bias holds no fear for me unlike the sewing machine, which I am terrified of.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 08-27-2013, 12:46 AM.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      I sew on the train in the morning. Bias holds no fear for me unlike the sewing machine, which I am terrified of.
      Then thou art a better man than me, so to speak.... bias sewing drives me batty! I takes a machine over hand sewing any day!

Comment

• Today was groundhog day on the food front: banana, yoghurt, coffee; leftover beef stirfry and loads of cheese (there must have been a meeting at work); leftover lamb korma (I tried to go easy on this as CHEESE).

Last night I resumed the physical jerks after a long hiatus and today my butt feels like it's been Miley twerked as a result. Not altogether an unpleasant feeling. Thanks to some kind soul on Gay Panda's thread, I now chant 'I'm twerking at Walmart' to myself in quiet moments. I've never been to a Walmart, neither have I twerked, but never let it be said that I am 'behind' the cultural zeitgeist.

Comment

I wouldn't cut this up at all. I couldn't! I'm talking out of my heiney here, as I don't quilt, but my impulse is to make this piece of fabric the centerpiece of the quilt in its entirety, and add an appropriate border fabric of the requisite size on the four sides to make it bed-sized. Then take one of those crazy-expensive free-arm quilting-machine thingies that let you literally direct the needle all over the quilt however you want, and stitch all over on top. That fabric is to DIE for. I could look at it all day.

But then, my favorite quilts, the ones I gravitate toward always, are crazy-quilts and all those that are not repeating geometric designs. (Me be waaaay too organic.)

Not related: do an image search for "Itchiku Kubota". I took the kids to see the exhibition of his silks when it came to this part of the country. Wow.
          Last edited by Crabbcakes; 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM.
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Crabby, I don't have that batik, but my batik (and the final quilt) will incorporate a lot of those colours. I won't start work on this until the Christmas break - which I foresee as a lot of scissor work (yes, I have a rotary cutter, no, I don't use it), which means I get to go on a batik-buying spree between now and then. As I swear, this quilt will be properly planned out (a first), longarm quilted (another first) and beautifully bound (this has been my downfall in previous outings). And then we will KEEP it FOREVER.

The current problem-child project is a Christmas present for the in-laws so, I have a deadline. The sun quilt will take, I estimate, two years to complete...by which time I will have collected enough scraps for the bookcase quilt! So, that's my hobby time planned out for the next three years.

Husband is sick. I do not a good nursemaid make. Husband is a pathetic patient and refuses to do anything that would help him feel better. Grr.

B: yoghurt, coffee, banana
            L: ratatouille with feta
            D: sausages, carrots, spinach (with mustard and red capsicum), pumpkin mash

I got in an extra lap of the park today for an all-up walk of 1.5 hours. I wish I could do that every day - the more I walk the better I feel.

Comment

• holy moley...2 years to complete? you have much more stick-to-it-ness than I do!

Comment

holy moley...2 years to complete? you have much more stick-to-it-ness than I do!
                The three quilts I have made have each taken a year. Now, there have been months of messing about and weeks of - oh, shit, I need to buy more fabric, but still - this one I intend to do properly. I want to have all my fabric bought and all - eep, for they are small diamonds - pieces cut by January 2014. Then, I predict, for they are very small diamonds, I have two years of sewing ahead...

D: change of plans in the face of sick spouse, time limits and the realities of what is in the fridge... sausages, carrots, broc, bottle of cab-merlot.

Comment

this quilt will be properly planned out (a first), longarm quilted (another first) and beautifully bound (this has been my downfall in previous outings). And then we will KEEP it FOREVER.

Husband is sick. I do not a good nursemaid make. Husband is a pathetic patient and refuses to do anything that would help him feel better. Grr.

I got in an extra lap of the park today for an all-up walk of 1.5 hours. I wish I could do that every day - the more I walk the better I feel.
                  The quilt will be incredible.

Sorry your husband is sick, I would have put in an extra lap too. At least it made one of you feel better
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

The three quilts I have made have each taken a year. Now, there have been months of messing about and weeks of - oh, shit, I need to buy more fabric, but still - this one I intend to do properly. I want to have all my fabric bought and all - eep, for they are small diamonds - pieces cut by January 2014. Then, I predict, for they are very small diamonds, I have two years of sewing ahead...

D: change of plans in the face of sick spouse, time limits and the realities of what is in the fridge... sausages, carrots, broc, bottle of cab-merlot.
                    wow.... thats alot of cutting.... and being the lazy bastage that I am, I would conquer my fear of the sewing machine, if time is a factor... if not...ehh it matters not! again.. I doff my cap in your general direction for taking on such a large task!

Comment

I doff my cap in your general direction for taking on such a large task!
                      As do I, remarkable patience and determination.

Comment

• Ugh. Hangovers suck. Why do I do it? Why do I ever try to stay sober
                        B: yoghurt, banana, coffee
                        L: ratatouille avec feta
                        D: osso buco beef cooked in the slow cooker with pumpkin mash and broc; banana

Tomorrow is the half-yearly all-day planning meeting for the mag. The big hitters, who are also the two individuals that have had a falling out, are not coming. You'd think this would make it easier, but no it just means I'll have to take detailed minutes to share with them. Blugh.

Extra lap of the park and some sprints today. Got delayed on the train again - two hours to get home.
                        Last edited by badgergirl; 08-29-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Ugh. Hangovers suck. Why do I do it? Why do I ever try to stay sober
                          Because your liver loves you and wants you to be happy? Sorry bastardized a Ben Franklin quote about beer...

Comment

Because your liver loves you and wants you to be happy? Sorry bastardized a Ben Franklin quote about beer...
                            Jaundice is not a good look, I agree.

Comment

Jaundice is not a good look, I agree.
                              nor the bloated belly that goes with cirrhosis.... and the yucky brown urine... not a pretty way to go.....

Comment

nor the bloated belly that goes with cirrhosis.... and the yucky brown urine... not a pretty way to go.....
                                I'll bear that in mind. If I hit 90 it'll be gin and cakes in the rocking chair though - I'm counting on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X