No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can just forget making anything from that batik of yours, because I WANT IT!

Wowzer, is that one stunning piece. You will laugh, but I am about to get "adventurous" and make my first pillows - out of two cutoff legs from a pair of jeans... (Has really nice raised pattern, and would make great pillows for traveling in the car, which we do a lot). The leftover butt will be sewn closed at the open leg holes and made into a jeans purse for Second.

I got that idea from a horse-themed craft book Third found at the library, and I have already made her one from an old pair of her jeans, and she loves it. We put horse pins and patches on it, but the iron-on patches didn't stay on, sadly. The shoulder straps are made from strips taken from the leg of the pants, but since I won't have the legs available (as they are going to be pillows), Second and I are thinking of using leather, perhaps an interesting belt from Goodwill.

Badger, you have a really good eye for color and pattern and all that. Who else is an artist in the family??
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Crabcakes that is a cool project. My dd and her twin cousins all have one of those jeans bags, they made them themselves at a holiday class run by the sewing shop and they use them a lot.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• My sewing machine is currently kaput so *all* sewing projects are being done by hand - no bad thing and it may get me to finally hand quilt. Although I'm also thinking of getting machine fixed or...
        buying a new one.
        We'll see.

Have never worked with old denim, but I bet your projects turn out really well. Photos, please.

B: yoghurt, banana, coffee
        L: cheese, small bowl of last night's dinner
        D: lamb korma (husband's cooking so I know what we're having)

Day going very slowly. I'm doing one of husband's supplements on a sub-set of trolls. Not really my kind of thing. Husband has introduced small boy to Dungeons and Dragons - there go my family weekends and access to the dining table.

Shhhh....
        Have just booked husband's 40th birthday present. A tandem skydive over the Great Ocean Road. I shall not be watching as even the thought leads to shivers of terror, but I know that he will love it.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• That batik fabric is awesome! Gorgeous color combination.... Wife and I have done several quilts using batiks, and they turn out great! She just finished a quilt top for my oldest son and his significant other that has a batik in it... I think there are 4 or 5 quilts in the "To be quilted" que at this point... so don't feel bad about having "unfinished" projects around. I have one I started hand quilting several years ago... it still isn't done.....

Comment

• Folks, that batik is not my batik...but my batik is *just as* if not *more* awesome. I shall be starting that quilt over the Christmas break...

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              Folks, that batik is not my batik...but my batik is *just as* if not *more* awesome. I shall be starting that quilt over the Christmas break...
              Then I wait to see a pic of your "Awesommer" batik!

Comment

• Your wish is my command, sir.
                Batik 1 - the inspiration:

Batik 2 - from my stash, will fit in somewhere

Current project. I think it requires something to break it up that the eye can latch on to - I'm going to do vertical stripes of a pale and plain yellowy green so that there will be three hexes then a single row, then another block of three hexes...

And, while we're about it, isn't this just fabulous...?
                Last edited by badgergirl; 08-26-2013, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• Careful... your going to make my head swell....

Both of those are pretty awesome!... man, you DO love those hexagons don't you! lol

That last quilt is a bit on the bright side... lovely colors, though it screams so loud you'd never get any sleep with it in the room!
                  Last edited by ssn679doc; 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• I'm DONE with hexes...except those blue and white ones that I tried to squeeze into the turquoise quilt... No. I'm done with hexes for a good long time. And the current project is a complete mess. But. I shall rescue it.

Comment

• batiks...

Comment

• I do love batiks..... but in a pieced quilt the color variations can throw the block design off kilter, so to speak..... It is for that reason that we use them more for quilt backs than use them in the quilt blocks..... that center pattern I have seen in fabric stores here.
                        Last edited by ssn679doc; 08-26-2013, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          I do love batiks..... but in a pieced quilt the color variations can throw the block design off kilter, so to speak..... It is for that reason that we use them more for quilt backs than use them in the quilt blocks..... that center pattern I have seen in fabric stores here.
                          So... my thoughts (which are always over-ambitious and do not reflect the final result) were to get loads and loads of fabrics with those rainbowy colours...then cut them into tiny diamonds with, maybe, some degree of fussy cutting. Then assemble the diamonds into piles that have a similar mix (since the colour variation on one batik is so extreme, one piece of fabric could have mainly purple, mainly blue, mainly yellow, hint of green, strong red/pink etc). Then... Assemble the diamonds in tonal circles working outwards. I also have some all one colour fabrics that are marbled and may throw in the odd solid around each ring. Before, finally, filling in the corners with navy, indigo, night sky colours.

What does your quilting fu say to this? Is it madness? Dawn, sunset skies... possible?

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                            So... my thoughts (which are always over-ambitious and do not reflect the final result) were to get loads and loads of fabrics with those rainbowy colours...then cut them into tiny diamonds with, maybe, some degree of fussy cutting. Then assemble the diamonds into piles that have a similar mix (since the colour variation on one batik is so extreme, one piece of fabric could have mainly purple, mainly blue, mainly yellow, hint of green, strong red/pink etc). Then... Assemble the diamonds in tonal circles working outwards. I also have some all one colour fabrics that are marbled and may throw in the odd solid around each ring. Before, finally, filling in the corners with navy, indigo, night sky colours.

What does your quilting fu say to this? Is it madness? Dawn, sunset skies... possible?
                            oh hell yeah! That sounds like it would be gorgeous..... it also sounds lilke a fark-ton of work! Particularly since you are hand sewing this thing! You are far more ambitious than I am! I bow to your ambition!

Comment

• Pieced Diamonds - free quilting instructions

I'm not sure if you are familiar with strip piecing diamonds.... but this might be an easier method of making diamonds, and avoiding the sewing on the bias....

Comment

• You are one creative mama BG, I'll give you that, they're stunning, and where do you find the time?

Comment

Working...
                                X