No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have enjoyed wandering through your journal. I am also a lover of Vibrams (I now have six pair, and they are nearly the only shoe I wear to work - or anywhere - regardless of what my coworkers say).

I think you are doing splendid.

Comment

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
      I have enjoyed wandering through your journal. I am also a lover of Vibrams (I now have six pair, and they are nearly the only shoe I wear to work - or anywhere - regardless of what my coworkers say).

I think you are doing splendid.
      Hi RaeVynn, I've made your acquaintance through other threads and liked you there - I'm a prolific lurker and getting braver at posting here, there and everywhere. Thank you for popping in and stopping to say so. The validation is incredibly uplifting...gordon bennett, I'm so shallow and needy!

Right. So. Today I got serious about tongue. Every girl should, I think. Tongue is good. Tongue is juicy. Tongue is primal. Err. Yeah. Anyway, the dog enjoyed the peeled off skin and I'm now the proud owner of a slow cooker full of braised tongue. I checked out Hugh FW's bollito misto recipe and then went completely off piste: port, red wine, carrots, parsnip, thyme, bay leaves, onions, garlic and the tongue. Then I stirred in about 100g of pate just to ramp up the sauce a bit (the port had made it a bit sweet, perhaps).

I also roasted some lamb (1/2 a leg) in the tongue gravy (half a leg in tongue gravy. wow, that sounds...just wow. Actress meet bishop) for tonight's dinner. Along with roasting whatever veg I could find in the fridge.

Today looks like this:
      B: two eggs scrambled in butter, tablespoon of peanut butter
      L: chicken green thai curry, 2 glasses of wine
      D: lamb, beets, brussels, parsnip roasted (man and boy also got carrots, spuds and corn on the cob)

We strolled into town and back - about 30 mins - and I got some mending done that's been mouldering for months. I know jobs like this that sit and fester are bad Feng Shui or whatever and it feels so good to clear them from my neverending to-do list, but sometimes it can take me a long while to get the get up and go to get up and do. Hmmm.

Feeling very marital, for once, as we managed to have a successful date night Saturday. As husband, in a less-than-romantic turn of phrase said, it's the glue that sticks us together. Indeed it is. Also, I got to enter a new activity in Fitday! Very rewarding.

Speaking of Fitday, today looks like this:
      1832 calories F: 53% 110g; P: 17% 77g; C: 18% 84g; A: 12%

Woot! I'm a senior
      Last edited by badgergirl; 08-19-2012, 01:50 AM. Reason: been promoted
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Today was another emotionally fraught day. Wrote to best friend, offering love, but professing complete ignorance of the whys and wherefores of her split. This situation is made more complicated - at least in my head - by the fact that I was in love with her for some years and - how did a food diary come to be the place where I bare my soul? - briefly had a relationship with her and her husband. More than a decade and a half has passed since then and much water has flowed under the bridge, but still. I had a somewhat vested interest in their marriage being a grand passion and forever. Also, best friend has been oddly distant/uncommunicative for the last few years. We love each other - fondly, sweetly - but our lives diverged and we cannot seem to explain ourselves to each other anymore. So, writing to her is very difficult.

Coworker's mother's funeral is on Thursday and I shall be attending/travelling to and from from the office with two other coworkers. Coworker will be off all week, understandably, and I shall be picking up her work.

My pub went to press. Printer was late picking up the files because he's had two deaths in his family. We grimaced at each other as I said the necessary words of sympathy.

Still no word on whether or not I'm through to second interview.

Missed husband all day - the joys of having had a nice weekend - and have been feeling in need of hugs and comfort myself, as well as wishing I could hug just about everyone around me and disolve into tears at the sheer pain involved in loving people and how grateful I am that my special people are still on the planet.

It's been four years since we left the UK - sometime this week is the anniversary of that first giant step to Sydney with pup and bub in tow.

B: yoghurt, 1/2 tablespoon of p'nut butter
        L: Tongue - this was a failure. I'm going to have to cut it up smaller. The taste is fine, but the texture is, well, tonguey. And I think mushrooms would have been a sensible addition - go far more savoury rather than sweet (with the snips and carrot and port). Hugh FW knew what he was doing when he mixed it in with other meats. It needs something to help break up the rubberiness. Five almonds. Sliver of stilton (work must have had an event at the weekend as there was a cheeseboard in the fridge).
        D: tuna with homemade tomato, spinach, capsicum sauce, jalapenos, tablespoon of sour cream, 1/2 cup yoghurt

Walked for an hour and a half. Will do weights once dinner has settled.

Fitday says: calories 1370; F: 50% 77g, P: 26% 88g, C: 16% 57g A: 8% (although this would have cooked out in the sauce)

A note on meal timings: I eat within a 12-hour window during the week and stretch it to a 14-hour fast at the weekends. No idea if this helps - leangains stylee - but thought it was worth mentioning. Also, despite Fitday say it was a low-cal day...I'm completely full. What gives?

Tongue...
        Last edited by badgergirl; 09-02-2012, 02:18 AM. Reason: remembered something

Comment

Heavy shit, sister. Good reading, though. That is terribly shallow of me, I know.
          I feel like a big pussy for complaining to all and sundry that the river was cold for my swim, and muddy, after hearing of your woes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tall Tree View Post
            Heavy shit, sister. Good reading, though. That is terribly shallow of me, I know.
            I feel like a big pussy for complaining to all and sundry that the river was cold for my swim, and muddy, after hearing of your woes.
            It is rather a lot to be getting on with, isn't it? I find that I'm rather blank on it all, to be honest, I'm not sure why. My emotional responses tend to be rather dulled right up until the moment I'm overwhelmed by them. Friends have remarked that I sometimes (they're kind about it) lack empathy, but I've come to the conclusion that I often lack empathy for myself as well.

Anyway, today was a blank, holding pattern kind of a day. No news of any import and I pootled on a lowish priority project and haunted MDA threads all day before getting stuck on a delayed train - occupational hazzard when one has to rely on Victorian public transport. Days like this are such a waste of life (and lifeforce) and it angers me that I get sucked in so easily. I should be writing a novel or, at the very least, creating an escape route, but no. I sit. I fester.

B: cup of yoghurt, teaspoon of peanut butter, two walnuts
            L: beef chilli (with the usual veggies in it)
            D: mystery white fish (husband says maybe flathead?) in butter and lemon, green beans, broc, red capsicum, cocoa made with cream

Fitday says: 1378 calories; F: 52% 84g, C: 20% 78g, P: 28% 99g

Fitday is inherently depressing. Any food search reveals page after page of processed nonsense food. An unending list of SAD reasons why people are fat/unhealthy/sick. It's terrifying.

Walked for one hour and 45 minutes. Will do some bodyweight exercises later. Now that original vanity goal has been reached - although it appears that either husband has shrunk one pair of the skinny trews or some evil fairy of girth gain visited in the night - I'm searching for a new goal. I can't decide: ability to do full, proper push ups or visible abs? This seems akin to saying: visit Mars or the moon? But, a reach goal is no bad thing. Gives me something to focus on other than all the stress gubbins and makes me feel a bit more in control of my fate.
            Last edited by badgergirl; 08-21-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I don’t know about this being in touch with your emotions nonsense*; I think it was easier when I simply swallowed them. Today I felt oddly flat – not empty – maybe crushed would be a better word. No reason why, beyond the obvious and ongoing, but today turned out to be difficult: as if I was moving in slow motion when the world around me
              is full-steam ahead. Barely made it out of bed and stomach issues – Still nerves? Really? – are ongoing.

* Typo said ‘in touch with your motions’, which may also be primal judging by the number of threads on the topic, but is not something one would necessarily want to admit to, particularly given my current digestive irregularities.

I did feed the emotions some extra peanut butter to see if that would help, but even as I was doing it I sort of inwardly face-palmed at the ridiculousness of this endeavour. Anyway, I was sensible enough to pack liver pate for lunch, which helped rather than hindered the fight back. As to doing constructive things at work, well, not so much except I had a brainwave that everyone loved and will keep me in the good books for a while. I forget where it was first mooted, but there’s something in that philosophy that to be successful you need to do one high-profile thing exceptionally well, rather than excel at the humdrum. That’s my career hack of the day. Let’s see how far I can push it.

B: cup of yoghurt, tablespoon of p’nut butter, four walnuts
              L: 200g chicken liver pate with a carrot and head of cauli (raw)
              D: three-egg omelette with beef sausage, courgette, capsicum and onion
              Supper! 10 walnuts and an apple

Fitday says 1217 calories; F: 60% 82g P: 22% 69g C: 18% 56g
              and then I had supper...
              1551 calories; F: 61% 109g P: 19% 75g C: 20% 81g

Walked for an hour and 45 minutes again today. Very tired (was late home again thanks to VLine) and husband has caught my general malaise so now we're both blue. Fantastico.

Didn't do any weights last night and didn't sleep well either. Grr. Will try for both tonight.
              Last edited by badgergirl; 08-22-2012, 02:12 AM. Reason: obscure formatting oddities and then I had an extra meal!

Comment

Right. Apologies for typos and lack of macros. Today has been an along for the ride day and there's very little point fitdaying as I'm not sure what I ate.
                B: yoghurt, three walnuts
                L: frittata with garnish (lord only knows what was in it: an egg, maybe two, I certainly hope there was egg involved; butternut or perhaps sweet potato; could have well had flour in it as the texture was effed up)
                D: beef stew: beef, tomatoes, mushrooms, leek, mustard and random condiments - husband let loose in the kitchen again - bottle of merlot, teaspoon of p'nut butter

Coworker's mother's funeral.

Woke up this morning in a horrible panic thanks to a very realistic rape dream. Lying in the darkness and waiting for the alarm to go off, I spent many minutes working out how I could have dropped to my knees and hamstrung the fucker - if only I'd had two switchblades to hand in my dream. So, restful and relaxing thoughts/night. Then I thought about biting.

Busy at work, small boy sent home sick, husband still blue.

Considering posting a photo...am I a mega poster or simply a mega lurker?
                Last edited by badgergirl; 08-23-2012, 01:08 AM. Reason: more angst added

Comment

Craptastic day. Just had a huge blow up with husband about his parenting decisions. Great. We've been competing all week on who's doing it harder and now I'm enraged. Wonderful.

B: yoghurt, four walnuts
                  L: salsa, tuna, nibble of cheese, four almonds
                  D: beef, leek, mushroom and tomato stew

Fitday says 1420 calories: F 53% 86g P 25% 89g C 22% 85g

Walked for an hour and ten.

Comment

Quiet weekend of chores, mainly, along with a short road trip to visit a patchwork shop, but came home without the blue-and-white fabric I'm searching for. Yesterday was an eggs, yoghurt and nuts day. Today? I'm not sure what today holds foodwise, but I do know I'm coming down with small boy's cold.
                    Will get back to the usual Fitdaying nonsense tomorrow, but for now I need to go and make banana bread for small boy and to take to work tomorrow for grieving co-worker (not sure how this became my job, but there).

Comment

I go through prolonged periods of not going to the hairdresser, usually to save money. My super-sassy short hair grows ever daggier, yes I am aware of the derivation of the word and it is apt, and eventually I am driven back to the stylist's clutches with a shameful confession on my lips. Forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been several months since my last cut and blow dry...
                      And so we have today's food listing. Forgive me, for I have sinned:
                      B: yoghurt, walnuts
                      Morning tea: homemade banana and walnut bread (by my own fair hand, to welcome grieving co-worker back)
                      L: IF, if you can call it that
                      D: meatballs and liver-and-tongue enhanced ratatouille, an apple
                      Walked for an hour and twenty and tonight I *will* waggle weights.
                      It's odd, breaking any 'diet' is of course 'sinful', but now it really does feel more than usually wrong. Not sure I like the rigid orthodoxy of this. I guess I want to be more catholic (universal) than orthodox (right). Gah! It's not a religion, it's just a way of eating! So I broke banana bread with sorrowful friends (yes, other coworker was also grieving - her dog died on Friday afternoon - it was one of those weeks, evidentally). I was a better human for it.
                      Coworkers A and B are wonderful and I love them dearly.
                      Last edited by badgergirl; 08-27-2012, 12:44 AM. Reason: typical typo

Comment

Small boy's cold continues to drag me down. Not happy about the back-to-back bouts of illness in the house!
                        B: two eggs scrambled in butter, four walnuts
                        L: broc, cauli and blue brie soup
                        D: tongue and liver enhanced ratatouille with beef mince and cheese
                        Fitday says a whisker over 1500 with fat at 66%, protein at 18% and carbs at 16%. Not sure I believe Fitday, but whatever. Walked for an hour and twenty, feeling like a martyr the whole way. Will do some form of physical jerks later.
                        So...
                        Dado is banned. I would ask what he was on, but I think in one thread he did tell us. Funny (in both senses) guy. I'll miss him, I think.

Comment

GROUNDHOG DAY!
                          Same food, walked for an hour and 45 minutes.
                          God, this is dull - my journal, not this way of eating (which I refuse to abbreviate to WOE).
                          This morning I stripped off my outer layers in order to show the train ladies my biceps. Yep, I got 'em out for the girls. Honestly, it's a good job I don't have visible abs - can you only imagine how quickly the carriage would empty?
                          Still coughing like a fag-ash Lil. Still blowing my nose like a foghorn (one better than the small boy who has, despite being told to get a tissue, wiped his nose on his sleeve so often that the skin underneath is raw, that'll teach him). Still waiting for more whooshing, in a sort of hopeful, anything is possible kind of a way.
                          New girl at work is very 'up' all the time. AQI is just the beginning; everything is 'awesome, cool, legend'. When I try to sleep at night her voice fills my head and sends me slightly mad. Today, when the temp working on reception informed her that she was going to the loo, new coworker said 'don't hurry back!' I choked on my (own, not beef) tongue.

Comment

almost groundhog again
                            B: homemade yoghurt aka food of the gods
                            L: broc, cauli and blue brie soup
                            D: essentially, at this stage, it's beef and vegetable chili and thank god it's finished
                            Walked an hour and ten. Got three hours' sleep last night; still coughing, still spluttering.
                            Coworkers A and C were there today, but coworker B is getting her jollies in Cairns. Coworker A, who is grieving for her mother, has two weeks off starting next week and I will be doing her work, my work, my genius project that is scoring super brownie points, reformatting a pile of docs for another dept on the sly as a favour (I'm subject to management turf wars at the moment), oh, and the annual report. Yes, it sounds like death to me, too.
                            Awesome, cool, legend.
                            Last edited by badgergirl; 08-30-2012, 01:48 AM. Reason: typing fail

Comment

Hello Badgegirl, i am 37 years old female( god, it must be a first time I describe my self as female.. )
                              and the only thing that works with me for loosing weight( being already thin) is ketosis . Paleo does serve
                              great for getting to your approximately true weight, but it doesn't serve a damn when twitching the last
                              few kilograms. I do IF in the mornings, do my training on empty stomach (heavy weights with few reps)
                              and just started the Peak training from Mercola. The idea of training this way is to boost your HGHproduction.
                              It does work combined with ketosis. It work so well that I my self am surprised. Yes, I know that it depletes your
                              Glucogen reserves, but I have lost some real fat on the way. It has been 5 days and I will stop in another 3.
                              Then I will be back to the mentioning part, staying the same weight isn't a problem.
                              Best

Comment

Originally posted by ezk View Post
                                Hello Badgegirl, i am 37 years old female( god, it must be a first time I describe my self as female.. )
                                and the only thing that works with me for loosing weight( being already thin) is ketosis . Paleo does serve
                                great for getting to your approximately true weight, but it doesn't serve a damn when twitching the last
                                few kilograms. I do IF in the mornings, do my training on empty stomach (heavy weights with few reps)
                                and just started the Peak training from Mercola. The idea of training this way is to boost your HGHproduction.
                                It does work combined with ketosis. It work so well that I my self am surprised. Yes, I know that it depletes your
                                Glucogen reserves, but I have lost some real fat on the way. It has been 5 days and I will stop in another 3.
                                Then I will be back to the mentioning part, staying the same weight isn't a problem.
                                Best
                                Hello! and thanks for dropping by.
                                Ketosis does sound pretty cool - have you seen Paleobird's posts on the topic? Unfortunately, what with my history of disordered eating, I really don't think *intentional* IF is for me. Now, if I ever genuinely forget to eat that's a different matter, but if I plan not to eat that does tend to become a problem.
                                Ha! I'm all about oral gratification...I like eating.

Comment

Working...
                                X