No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be a clear, beautiful dawn followed by a mostly sunny day, short overcast periods. High risk of thunderstorms at night.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• B: yoghurt, nuts, coffee
      L: pat of butter, beef stock veg soup, two glasses of cote du rhone
      D: pork stir fry on beansprouts (so much nicer than noodles); glass of merlot

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I'd be a clear, beautiful dawn followed by a mostly sunny day, short overcast periods. High risk of thunderstorms at night.
        You sound like a reasonable day, I presume you're more of a morning type person....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
          You sound like a reasonable day, I presume you're more of a morning type person....
          You presume right, sir. Always have been. Up with the larks and all that. Of course, after shower and breakfast, I do rather like the first activity of the day to be bed based, but these days avec child that does not happen.

B: two eggs scrambled in cream, 3t p'nut butter, coffee
          L: 3 pineapple rings, blue brie, merlot
          D: roast lamb, roast beets, butternut squash, carrot

yesterday:
          B: two eggs scrambled in cream, irish coffee
          L: leftover pork stirfry
          D: barbecue spare ribs, bean sprouts; apple; merlot
          Last edited by badgergirl; 08-04-2013, 01:57 AM.

Comment

You presume right, sir. Always have been. Up with the larks and all that. Of course, after shower and breakfast, I do rather like the first activity of the day to be bed based, but these days avec child that does not happen.
            Sounds like the beginnings of a perfect day..... which, alas, happens all too infrequently! ;(

Comment

Ahh, the joys of parenthood.... And, unless I have a 'menage a un', there ain't no point in my lounging in me kipper!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                And, unless I have a 'menage a un', there ain't no point in my lounging in me kipper!
                lol.....

Comment

• Well, when I was single the first activity of the day was reading the weekend papers while drinking a pint mug of coffee...in bed. To my mind there are many activities that are best done in bed. Best friend insists on adding the words 'in bed' to any fortune cookie prediction. Try it, it is surprisingly apt.

B: homemade yoghurt, coffee, sultanas (but not fistfuls, unlike previous mornings)
                  L: cauli and blue cheese soup (I love this in winter: head of cauli, blue brie or similar, milk [I use powder because I'm cheap], parsnip or potato if you're not VLC - cook cauli [and parsnip/potato if using] in milk, add cheese. BLEND. Scrape of nutmeg, twist of black pepper. DONE)
                  D: chicken drumstick, bacon, leeks, red capsicum and cream; broc; butternut squash; raspberries and yoghurt

Small boy is decluttering. Kids at school have told him Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine are baby toys (boo, hiss). So. ALL his Bob and ALL his Thomas toys are being sold. It takes hours and hours to sort, assemble, list, photograph it all. I did the Thomas stuff tonight. Any offers?

Wooden railway: Rheneas - with card Henry and tender - with card

Take along Thomas (sliver plastic track, metal die-cast trains)
                  TRACK
                  6" CT x 14 - corners (4 make a circle)
                  7" ST x 3 - long straight
                  6" ST x 3
                  5" ST x 3
                  3.5" ST x 7
                  2" ST x 13
                  2" ST FF x 4
                  2" ST MM x 3
                  1" ST x 7
                  5" STB x 1 (straight with connectors on edge for buildings)
                  5" SWT FFM x 2 (straight + curve)
                  5" SWT MMF x 4 (straight with curve)
                  T-TRACK x 2
                  6" CST MMF x 7 (double ended swerve)
                  6" CST FFM x 5 (double ended swerve)
                  6" CT - sign x 4 (corner with stand for sign) 2 x stop sign 2 x slow sign
                  AT x 6 (long bendy track for use with supports either side of bridges)
                  Special SWT x 2 (four track junction with boom gates)
                  Adapter F and Adapter M x 4 (allows new-style track to connect to old-style track)
                  2.5" RTF x 2 (end track)
                  BRIDGES
                  Red-brick arch bridge with 5" track (used with AT track pieces either side) x 2
                  Grey-brick track props - for use with bridges and AT or AT alone x 5
                  Folding track bridge (Mattel Fisher Price T9047-2039) with divided track at each end
                  BUILDINGS, PLAYSETS
                  Maithwaite/Sodor Mail (includes loop of track)
                  McColl's Farm/Ice Cream Factory (includes a figure of 8 track)
                  Cranky the crane includes large loop of track and a barge with two barrels (magnetic so can be lifted up)
                  Sodor paint station (includes paint brush and 5" STB
                  7" Mud puddle track
                  Sodor Engine Wash (includes approx 6" track inside building)
                  Sodor Engine works engine wash LEARNING CURVE - space for track to go through the building, but no track included. Opens up for more play opportunities. Rollers, sliding open-closed sign.
                  Sodor shipping company building - plays the Thomas music and sound effects comes with 5" STB
                  Sodor smelting yard light and sound effects comes with 5" STB and a 'metal' girder
                  Sodor Barrel depot comes with 5" STB and three barrels
                  ENGINES/TRUCKS/CHARACTERS
                  Harold the helicopter - comes with 6" STB and parking area - book also available
                  Sir Handel and the apple truck - with collector's card - apples can be 'ejected' from the truck
                  Thomas and the ice cream sundae cars (ice cream tanker, truck with chocolate barrels, Thomas covered in chocolate sauce) collector card slightly damaged
                  Edward comes with tender, collector card slightly battered
                  Lights and sounds Edward comes with tender
                  McColl's Farm Chicken cars - chickens squawk - comes with battered collector card
                  Fireworks car - lights up and makes noise - comes with collector card
                  Duck comes with collector card
                  Rocky the rescue crane - comes with two add-ons
                  Percy x 2
                  Thomas
                  Lady
                  Toby (tram engine)
                  Duncan (slight damage to paintwork)
                  Salty (belongs with Cranky set)
                  Diesel comes with flatbed truck and barrels of diesel
                  Cargo car with hay bale x 2
                  Spencer comes with tender - book also available
                  Hank comes with tender - book also available
                  Emily comes with tender - book also available

Comment

• That is so sad that kids don't want to be babies. I clearly remember when my dd suddenly refused to wear her beloved Barney jacket any longer. I sewed a patch over him and got another season or two out of it - and didn't buy label clothing again.

Still, learning the decluttering habit is very cool, now he will have room for his next passion.

Sometimes they revert though - just this weekend my 12yo took her teddy on her lap and shared her breakfast with him. I think when she's sick, which she was, she must feel fragile and younger and so she acts that way. I dunno, but it was very very cute. Even the teenagers (now 20s actually) will sometimes play lego - with her of course. You may want to keep a small stash of Bob and Thomas just in case.

And I remember taking a fresh interest in my own dolly at 13-14 or so when I was learning to sew and I made her a whole wardrobe. II don't know what the equivalent would be for a boy but some toys really do endure.
                    Last edited by Annieh; 08-05-2013, 04:39 AM.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Hi Annie,
                      My little un is still a very huggy, kissy, clingy child, so in some respects he revels in being babied and he still has huge quantities of soft toys, but he is adamant that he doesn't want to play with Thomas/Bob toys any more. Given that we are in a small house, I'll take any decluttering I can take, particularly as husband has brought boxes and boxes of *his* playmobil toys out of storage for the small boy. I cannot conceive of keeping childhood toys for one's own children, but in truth husband kept them for himself, which is even stranger to me. Best to encourage the clear out, I think, before he learns hoarding from his dad.

Now then. Just as whenever I think my skin is looking clear, an enormous boil erupts somewhere noticeable; just as I was feeling on an even keel, intrusive thoughts of self-harm, self-hate and suicide have reappeared. What's that about? I think, just maybe, it might be anger. More accurately, anger I am unable to express that is bubbling out in other ways. As happens with ridiculous regularity with my abusive spouse of a job, I'm being undermined and put in difficult positions between warring factions. I cannot do anything about this, except find a new job, which I seem unable to do. Hence the buried rage.

I think I've come to the end of the line in my current line of work. I've been doing it 15 years and I'm bored by it, quite apart from the other toxic nonsense I have to put up with. But I have to work and I have to earn enough to support husband, child, dog and myself. I can't take time out to explore other career paths, retrain or what have you. The resentment and sense of despair are just under the skin - waiting to come to a head. Any additional frustration and I come out in dark-thought boils.

I wonder if I need to find an external channel for the rage, grief and despair - would that stop thoughts like 'if I lean my head back I could cut my throat' just arriving in my brain fully formed?

B: coffee, yoghurt, sultanas
                      L: leftovers from last night - cream, leeks, capsicum, bacon
                      D: pork chop (shared with small boy), mushrooms, courgettes with onion and oregano sauteed in butter, broc; sultanas

Comment

• Well, when I was single the first activity of the day was reading the weekend papers while drinking a pint mug of coffee...in bed. To my mind there are many activities that are best done in bed.
                        Oh, shows how my mind operates, saying that once I gets out of bed I stays out....

You must be stressed beyond belief, what with your lack of spare time and shite job, you must be fit to burst?!

Comment

• Re your Thomas stuff - OMG, if you weren't on the opposite side of the world, and if all that is wood, I would SO take it off of your hands! Thomas is freaking AWESOME at any age.

I never thought I would do this, but I side with hubby here re the Playmobil stuff, with the understanding that it is clean and in good working order, of course. See, some stuff is a "classic" toy, and the rest, well, isn't. If I had a dollar for every time I heard over here "my god that was fun to play with as a kid, I used to have one, wish I still had mine!", I would have a very tidy nest egg. Don't know if Americans stay juvenile longer, are more unashamed of play, or what, but I know people (plural) who DO keep certain things, either out of nostalgia, or for the memories attached of a now-dead loved one who gave it to them, or whatever. I buy old games and toys from resale shops all the time. Wanna know what is on my wish list??... a stereoscope! Honest! My kids got a hold of a couple at an antique shop and adore them.

Playmobil has been around for generations, which is a strong indicator of classic toy status, and my kiddos love to play with older generation versions very much. Hubby totally gets into the act, telling stories left and right about how he played with this and that, and the kids soak it up.

First wouldn't let me give away a teddy bear just earlier this year. When I tell you how many stuffed animals we have, you would honestly choke on your breakfast, and I thought it was time for another weeding, but when I got to this certain big, white bear, First Stood Her Ground concerning that bear - it is now freshly laundered and sitting back in her bed, where it used to be for years, as she is afraid I juuuuust might snag it anyway (which I would never do, having told her outright that I won't do so).

My own mom kept a small box of my old toys and clothing, and my kids play with that stuff yet today. My MIL did the same for her son, meaning hubby. I even have the drapery from around my MIL's childhood dressing table from when SHE was a child!

But then, I do get the storage space issue. I think half of the reason I bought this house was for the huge playroom we built in the basement, which you don't have. Before this house, storage and clutter was a huge issue for me, too.

Dunno' why, but tossing toys (selling, however it is done and phrased) brings up strong emotions for me. Perhaps it is because I had next to nothing growing up. The lessons learned by having to play with stuff found in nature were absolutely good, and I recognize that, but still. Perhaps it is because every time we moved, we had to trim our precious few things even further (Army weight allowances for household goods). Hmmmm. Something to think about.

I think what really makes me militant, and this is a cross-cultural happening, is when some snot-nosed kid tells another kid that something is "baby". I then proceed to tell my kids that ADULTS imagine, plan, manufacture, and sell toys for each and every age, so A LOT of SOMEBODIES didn't "grow up" in order for the toys to even exist on the shop shelves and online!! We adore our favorite independent toy shop owners, and they make a living doing what they looooove.

Whew, sorry - but with DS being clingy and all, I would imagine you know best how and when he needs a boost into his next developmental phase.

"Baby" toys just burns my buns, though. It isn't like he is sucking still on a teething toy. Harrumph.
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I think outlets are a necessary thing, right up there with food, water, air, shelter, medical attention as needed, a couple of good friends, and sex. I used to tap dance, and that would cure me of tons of emotional ills for the week. I totally took off, left hubby with the kids, and went to a dance class for adults. I still have the shoes. It was wonderful - I even got to be in the year-end show and all! I remember my last one, the Stray Cats song "Stray Cat Strut" was the music...

I ain't no Savion Glover, but I had me some good, old-fashioned distraction and fun, and I really needed it.

You never, ever, ever outgrow the need for play, badger.
                            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Thomas and Friends

It is not the Wooden Railway Thomas set - and how glad am I that we made that decision? Very. We agonised over which train set to 'invest' in. I would have loved the wooden one, but it's double the price and - even when small boy was very small - I wondered how much actual play he'd get out of it. His current collection is huge, but we bought half of it second-hand. I fully anticipate that another train set - Hornby, perhaps - will be requested (and considered buying a 'proper' train set at the very start, but then he would have been too young to benefit from it, rather defeating the purpose).

I am not allowing him to get rid of all his Thomas stuff, because of course we must keep husband's collection of Thomas books (not first editions, but c40 years old). We must also, evidently, keep all of husband's playmobil, all of child's playmobil, all of child's Lego, all of husband's 'collectors' items', including a Yoda-shaped sweet dispenser, various Transformers and so on.

We must also keep all of husband's art books, roleplay books, computer books, fantasy novels, pulp fiction, manga comics and so forth. We must keep husband's paperwork, old school books, high-school transcripts, journals, sketchbooks...

His roleplay minatures, his art supplies, his tabletop gaming soldiers.

We must keep CDs. We must keep DVD box sets (I keep trying to get him to digitise and chuck, or at least decant into the black folders/cases).

I have one soft toy from my childhood. That's all I need. Actually, I'm not too fussed about holding on to it.

I do have books - novels, lit crit, poetry, anthologies, letters and some history. That said, I sold/got rid of more than 50% when we left the UK. I have patchwork fabric, not much and most of it is earmarked for specific projects, but it does take up the space under my desk. I have a sewing machine.

I buy the child stacks of books, but I'm only precious about the classics: AA Milne, CS Lewis and so on (I forget which ones, but he has box sets of his 'good' books). I don't know how I'd feel about it if he wanted to get rid of them. We do, out of necessity, get rid of books he no longer likes every few months - most recently we gave a pile of nursery rhymes, dinosaur books and board books to school.

I feel extremely weighed down by all the stuff the two of them accumulate. I feel a little weighed down by the stuff I accumulate - and that aint much. I dread another crate appearing from the in-laws byzantine complex of sheds and storage solutions to be disgorged into our house. They are time capsules of sadness - plastic drek and mouldy paper.

I am aware that the child is being bribed to declutter to make room for his father's clutter. That doesn't fill my heart with joy. However, I'm drowning in this stuff.

Comment

• You are making me giggle, just because I do understand, even though it might not sound like it from my last post. Each and every one of us in this house has their favorite collecting and "do not get rid of that!!" thang, but I do put limits on each of us, and have been on a vendetta against moving boxes that contain junk for years now.

As Third still plays at a kindergarten level, I have a playroom that goes from pre-K on up through all the ages, and will need that range of toys for the foreseeable future. Hubby's playroom is our home office - he keeps his stuff in there, and has digitized much now that technology allows it. I'm the one who insists on paper (cook)books and storybooks for the kids.

Ugh to those awful boxes you get - that really does sound saaaad. I wouldn't want it either.

I totally admit to having complete boxed sets of everything Star Trek and Star Wars, which we do still watch over and over. But no Trek stuff, just the episodes and movies. Art stuff got its own room in that finished basement of mine, fabric and yarn and related sewing/needle arts is stored in my laundry room. Storage room is full of empty electronics boxes (not my idea), some furniture frames from the MIL, food pantry storage, and decorations for various holidays. It is overripe for a weeding out. "Gym" room houses stuffed toys and floor mats and various therapy balls and a rebounder for Third to use instead of taking her need for sensory stimulation out on the rest of the house (American therapists call it "crash and smash" and that pretty much describes it).
                                Last edited by Crabbcakes; 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X