waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I know there are lots of folks that prefer scissors, needle and thread. I ain't one of em! I think it takes much more skill and manual dexterity to work like that. Big kudos and respect from me there.
    No, I'm such an idiot with the machine. For me, sewing by hand is the slower, but so much safer and easier option. I'm considering biting the bullet and hand quilting this one.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      No, I'm such an idiot with the machine. For me, sewing by hand is the slower, but so much safer and easier option. I'm considering biting the bullet and hand quilting this one.
      Good luk with that..... and enjoy it. I hand quilted a broadcloth quilt for the newborn of a lady I worked with about 12 years ago. I used a bed sheet for the material. Bad choice.... the weave of the fabric was very tight and it made the quilting much more difficult to do. The quilting was relaxing, but tedious...

Comment

• Unintentionally ate loads today - I do not understand moderation...
        B: yoghurt, banana, mac nuts, coffee
        L: large bowl of homemade chilli (mostly vegetables, right?), glass of pinot noir
        D: large plate of emergency dinner: beef, red and yellow capsicums, carrots, onion, water chestnuts, broc, macs and cashews (rainbow nuts as the small boy calls them), red chilies, coconut milk, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce. About 1/3 bottle of pinot noir.

Tomorrow the festival of window cleaning. I think there are around 14 windows in the house...some are rather large.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          Good luk with that..... and enjoy it. I hand quilted a broadcloth quilt for the newborn of a lady I worked with about 12 years ago. I used a bed sheet for the material. Bad choice.... the weave of the fabric was very tight and it made the quilting much more difficult to do. The quilting was relaxing, but tedious...
          I have quite a large embroidery hoop and I have always used bamboo batting, which is fairly thin, it seems as though it would be feasible to do some fairly basic designs (I usually just machine stitch in the ditch - just enough to keep the three layers together).

Comment

I have quite a large embroidery hoop and I have always used bamboo batting, which is fairly thin, it seems as though it would be feasible to do some fairly basic designs (I usually just machine stitch in the ditch - just enough to keep the three layers together).
            Nothing wrong with stinching in the ditch by hand.... Simple quilting designs seem to work best for hand quilting. Very intricate designs can get lost because the stitching is broken up.... like a celtic knot would be hard to follow in a hand quilted piece because of the spacing of the stitches etc....

Comment

• That dinner sounds nice, including the wine!

Me hands are more designed for wielding a hammer than a needle, so I'll leave such expert talks to yerselves....

Comment

• Dinner was lovely. All my food is lovely - she said, modestly - I just have a tendency to make/serve too much and that, coupled with a must-clear-my-plate mentality, leads to me eating to uncomfortable fullness. I love to feed people...

Comment

Dinner was lovely. All my food is lovely - she said, modestly - I just have a tendency to make/serve too much and that, coupled with a must-clear-my-plate mentality, leads to me eating to uncomfortable fullness. I love to feed people...
                  You say that like its a bad thing.....

Comment

Dinner was lovely. All my food is lovely - she said, modestly - I just have a tendency to make/serve too much and that, coupled with a must-clear-my-plate mentality, leads to me eating to uncomfortable fullness. I love to feed people...
                    Modest away, cuz it certanily sounds it!

I got the same mental thing regarding the plate, hate to waste/leave food, think it comes from growing up when it was a bit scarce, don't fret it, I ain't!

CWish my old man had took up the ten quid pom offer he knocked back about 40 years ago!

Comment

• Crabcakes! I did the windows, the flyscreens AND the blinds in our room. Oh, the relief. It took a good couple of hours and was hard work, but so worth it. The windows in our room are by far the worst. This is revolting, and I've never seem anything like it in any other house I've lived in, but the dust grows mould. The blinds - Venetian cream-coloured metal - get dusty and then in the winter the damp and condensation gets so bad that the dust grows mildew/mould. Foul. And it must be very unhealthy to sleep in that room. When I was a stay-at-home mum I was much more on top of this stuff, but then I went back to work full time and things started to slide; and last year I didn't do the six-monthly overhaul clean as husband was going to get a job and we would move before small boy started school. I didn't even plant any vegetables last year because we wouldn't be renting it for much longer. Yeah. That worked out really well, didn't it? So, now I'm playing catch up.

Tomorrow I'll do the blinds in small boy's room. The rest will have to wait until after we come back.

I also made a massive amount of lasagna - for the boys and a beef moussaka/aubergine and feta lasagna for me.

B: yoghurt, orange, nuts, huge coffee with cream
                      L: tuna, salsa, chips (boys went to the chippie for lunch, I ate some leftovers)
                      D: feta and aubergine lasagna; spinach and cucumber salad; orange

Comment

• We used to have Venetian blinds as I was growing up... Wow, what a pain in the ass to clean, and SO much surface area! I bet your bedroom looks and smells so different! Ours always did, even though both my parents can, did, and do, clean like pros. Their house smells only because they smoke and Dad constantly farts like a champ in their tiny place. Doesn't take much of that combo to impact the air quality...

While you were doing battle with the blinds, I have been in our office, ransacking and reorganizing and cleaning. I am still at it, as that room has wrap-around built-in bookshelves, and has been our catch-all room for an embarrassingly long time. I can rarely get in there as hubby works from that room M - F except for trips. And hubby and I don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things reorganizing, he being of the donate nothing/file nothing/organize nothing kind.

Mold on the dust?! Ewww! I have never experienced that. Heavy dust from city life, constant sand on the floors in NJ, but not that. Wow - Australia really is a special place. How many sleeps now, badger?
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Today I...
                          Met my friends for coffee
                          Bought half a cow and half a pork barrel (not sure what a pork barrel is, but what the hell)
                          Cleaned the blinds in small boy's room and the living room (five blinds in total each the size of a door, but none as filthy as the two in our room).
                          Packed for small boy and me.
                          Cut the grass in the back garden, husband did the grass at the front (this is a good lesson: I divide the chore I want him to do in half; do fractionally more than half and husband willingly does the rest in my time frame instead of dragging his feet to do the whole chore).
                          And lots of other things...
                          B: yoghurt, coffee
                          snack: orange, sultanas
                          L: aubergine and feta lasagna
                          D: aubergine and feta lasagna; carrots; bottle of pinot (drunk over the course the afternoon)

I'm not really very bad looking, fertile, pay my own way, house trained... do you think someone else would have me? Sometimes I do wonder.
                          Last edited by badgergirl; 06-16-2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Shoes arrived!

B: yoghurt (at 1.30am - damn you, pinot insomnia); orange and nuts (at 5am), coffee
                            L: the feta and aubergine lasagna/beef moussaka
                            D: thai red curry beef with broc, carrots, caspicum, celery and some nuts

Got so many chores still to do, but the flesh is weak. Feel like going straight to bed rather than cleaning the fridge. Perhaps I'll fold laundry instead. Four more sleeps.

We've got a parent-teacher meeting at school tomorrow afternoon, should be interesting. Thursday night is school soiree, where the children entertain the parents in a evening of music and dance (I think, I'm a bit hazy on the details, but small boy is dressing up and dancing to Peter and the Wolf). This week is going to fly by...and then we shall fly by.

Comment

• Small boy is delightful, wonderful, intelligent, a joy...his teacher told us. Yay! We win at parenting
                              Small boy got praise, kisses and cuddles and we read the final chapter of the Neverending Story at bedtime. Sometimes being a mum is the best thing ever. He *is* a good boy. (He also did a turd in his undies - the little fecker - every silver lining needs a cloud.)

B: yoghurt, nuts, coffee
                              L: nearly finished the lasagna thingyamijig
                              D: pork cooked in apple juice with leeks, onion, garlic, carrots and celery (I'd have used cider, but we had the juice on hand); broc; an orange

Comment

• Sounds like a good lad, you should have given yourself an extra smiley! (Don't worry about the odd brown mistake, my brother still does that and he's nearly fifty, ((especially after an indulgance or two))!

That dinner sounds absolutely lush again, is it morally right to cook with cider though?!

Comment

Working...
                                X