waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Krist0ina
    I think I'll have to up the meat and cut the veg a little.
    Well, spambot, let me suggest you taste bacon
    http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Bacon/
    Last edited by badgergirl; 03-10-2013, 08:19 PM.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I don't often *get* Will Self. He reminds me too much of the clever dicks that taught the second year of my MA - all postmodern wank and staring in the mirror at their own engorged members. Honestly, my lecturer said, 'I used to think nothing interesting happened in the 70s, but there's this...' That was the week we read the only book written by a woman in the whole course - Angela Carter's The Passion of New Eve. Anyway, in his shorter pieces, I find much to admire. I like his mordant humour:
      After Fifty Shades: five authors offer their ripostes | Books | The Guardian

(The first year of the MA and part of the second I was VERY, VERY lucky to be taught by Isobel Armstrong, who I learn now is Diana Wynne Jones's younger sister - she was an incredible tutor and I considered a PhD, but it wasn't to be.)
      Last edited by badgergirl; 03-11-2013, 01:47 AM. Reason: googled Isobel Armstrong

Comment

• Adam Mars-Jones reviews

Ah. Yes. I see parallels. This is going to be an interesting read. Best friend also saw parallels for both of us, given that she was brought up in a fundamentalist household and escaped into a relationship and education.

The bouillabaisse bubbles, ladies fingers have been added to the pot and, lo, we have gumbo.

Comment

• I'm practising save as draft. Do not hit send. Pass go, collect your $200. How long can this rectitude last? Until the FEELINGS have withered on the vine?

Comment

• I hit send. I added to it and hit send.

It won't surprise you to learn that I pick scabs and squeeze spots, will it?
            Last edited by badgergirl; 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              I hit send. I added to it and hit send.

It won't surprise you to learn that I pick scabs and squeeze spots, will it?
              Pfffft. Everybody picks, and if they tell you otherwise, they are pathological liars. Either that, or they aren't counting their aesthetician picking their zits during a facial as "them" picking zits, and that still means they are liars.

If you think you are brave enough to watch this... Go to YouTube and search "huge cyst extraction" submitted by "stonner67". I dare you...
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                Pfffft. Everybody picks, and if they tell you otherwise, they are pathological liars. Either that, or they aren't counting their aesthetician picking their zits during a facial as "them" picking zits, and that still means they are liars.

If you think you are brave enough to watch this... Go to YouTube and search "huge cyst extraction" submitted by "stonner67". I dare you...
                I am *so* excited to see this, but I'll have to wait until I get home. Seriously... excited!

Comment

• Husband once had an ingrown hair on his chin that hit the mirror with a distinct 'ting' as he squeezed it out. A fat, albino monster missile of a hair... I was both thrilled and revolted. I always hope he'll get another one, but so far no such luck.

Comment

• Woah! that was amazingly gross! FANTASTIC!

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      I am *so* excited to see this, but I'll have to wait until I get home. Seriously... excited!
                      good lord - I love squeazing zits - but that was incredible !!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to go back and watch it again !!!!!!
                      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I've been remembering the glory days.

Now, it's easy to gloss over things and only remember the good, so let me state that university was pretty much good and bad in equal measure, there was also boredom, poverty, discomfort (it was chuffing cold) and frustration. It wasn't all dancing, drinking and shagging.

My housemate, not Pops one of the others, was doing her teaching placement at the local grammar school. It took boarders. The boys' house master was one - I've Googled this to ensure that despite naming him, his anonymity will be preserved - Dr Adonis. Housemate and Dr Adonis were buddies and so, eventually, Tass (as we came to call him, a shortened form of his first name), Pops and I became buddies too. At the end of the year, our second, housemate left for she was only doing a one-year PGCE (while Pops was signed up for four-year course and I was there for the standard three).

Second year had been pretty hectic on the shagging front as I'd broken up with first love at the end of first year. Also on the emotional front as I met and fell in love with best friend. (What can I say, I have no boundaries. A theme we shall return to, no doubt.) At the very beginning of third year, or at the end of second, housemate told us that Tass had come out. *Curses* For Dr Adonis was a very studly muffin. Short, stocky, unbelievably hairy - seriously he was half man, half shagpile (and I choose my words carefully) - he had the most open face, beautiful brown eyes (like melted chocolate) and mischievous grin. He was stunning and he knew it, but was also self-deprecating, witty and charming. His accent was Greek, as you would expect, with a slight hint of Scottish. He was smart. He was warm. He was wonderful.

We spent a lot of time together in third year. I met his partner, Mike, another teacher. It was a shortish-distance relationship. An hour or so on the train. They were lovely together. I liked Mike, Tass loved Mike. It was all good.

One night, at Tass's flat on the school grounds, after a splitting a bottle of wine...we had sex. And we kept having sex sporadically for the rest of the year. This is odd because it was quite possibly the worst sex I've ever had. Tass identified as gay-bi, but basically he was omnisexual, bless him. Anything with a pulse was fair game - I was certainly not the only lassie he slept with that year and I quake in my boots when I imagine how many lads (I remember a story of him catching a bloke's eye on the train and meeting him in the train loo for some quick relief - Virgin (oh the irony) Cross Country trains were not known for their luxurious facilities so I was rather bewildered by this turn of events. However, despite all that action the man had very little technique. He was rough, he was perfunctory (surely this isn't a man-on-man thing). It was rubbish sex, it really was. But he was so sweet and we were good friends and there was no love there to make it messy. I adored him. I loved his pelt. I loved hanging out with him. The sex was sort of incidental.

Not to Mike though. Mike found out later and while he could accept train man and various other indiscretions, me and the other close female friend were beyond the pale.

And I felt sad about that, but not guilty. I have no idea why. I should have felt guilty, probably. I mean I liked Mike. But I knew I was no threat to him and I thought it was Tass's responsibility to police his boundaries, not mine (truth was Dr Adonis had fewer boundaries than me, but surely Mike knew that).

And it's an absence of feeling I've carried over to adulthood. A strange blindspot. I think husband needs to have an affair. I think it would do him the world of good to have someone new and wonderful in his life. Put a spring in his step and lead in his pencil. I don't want him to leave me. I don't want him to fall in love per se or at least I don't want to be relegated. I certainly don't want to feel threatened. But those polyamory types are on to something, no?

It won't happen - husband does not share this oversight. Husband is a one-woman man.

But for me, and best friend and Tass, sex does not equal ownership. Of course, Mike and best friend's husband felt differently...
                        Last edited by badgergirl; 03-13-2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• wow badger - that is getting pretty deep for this old gwamma ......................

...small steps....

Comment

• Sometimes I am awesome.

Best friend is stonyass broke until the marital home sells. She might be stonyass broke after that too, depending on what it sells for. At the moment she's living at a friend's house rent free, but she still has to cover the mortgage and student loans and whatever else. A couple of times she has said she does not have money for groceries...

Thanks to the joys of Facebook, I was able to contact her housemate and arrange for best friend to have a care package waiting for her: housemate snagged best friend's shopping list, bought said items, got a box of wine, a bottle of gin and sundry other treats (cheese, choc, coffee). God love best friend's housemate. Now all I have to do is Paypal the money - easy (we're pretty broke ourselves, but I cleared this extravagance with husband). This is the best surprise ever (hopefully).

I did once manage to visit her (in the US) on her birthday, completely unannounced. I think this surprise is even better though...

Comment

• Badger - you are one wee darling friend !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Today my heart is a bigtop tent. Inside is a circus. Best friend is accounted for - a safety net has been put under her high wire act. Train friend, whose mother has just died, has been comforted by the Pierrot and the promise of funeral sweetmeats. I stand in the centre, wearing a shiny hat and brandishing a comedy whip. I am marshalling my resources. An invitation has been sent out to bacon man - come in and watch the show, you have a free pass to see the elephants perform. Husband has been applauded for his feats of strength. Small boy is capering around the seats, handing out hot honeyed nuts and singing 'we will, we will rock you!' Pops is nearby - I think she put up the posters advertising our grand show. Life is precarious, but precious under the gaudy canvas.
                                Last edited by badgergirl; 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM. Reason: a better word suggested itself

Comment

Working...
                                X