waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Your pre-stroke dad sounds like an absolute hoot.
    I share a lot of his sense of humour. I wore a pearl necklace to work today. And a linen top from Country Casuals together with a little cardi from Country Road. I'm enough of a Shakespeare scholar to have found this very funny. No one else got the joke, that's what made it funny.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      I share a lot of his sense of humour. I wore a pearl necklace to work today. And a linen top from Country Casuals together with a little cardi from Country Road. I'm enough of a Shakespeare scholar to have found this very funny. No one else got the joke, that's what made it funny.
      Lol, that don't appear no bad thing....strange again, helped out in a school production of Twelth Night, and the teacher, (who was a bit of a legend) running the show added the 'N' into the script when it came to the her 'C', her 'U', & her 'Ts', it was moderately amusing watching the crowds reaction....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
        Lol, that don't appear no bad thing....strange again, helped out in a school production of Twelth Night, and the teacher, (who was a bit of a legend) running the show added the 'N' into the script when it came to the her 'C', her 'U', & her 'Ts', it was moderately amusing watching the crowds reaction....
        I like that teacher - it's very much in keeping with the original joke (it's just the contemporary audience would have been, er, quicker on the draw).

Comment

• So, I’m very lucky to have husband – he stabilises me in ways that I appreciate. If my life is a high-wire act (and it surely feels it sometimes) then husband is the pole I grip to help me keep my balance. But it’s a mixed blessing because if I’m holding a heavy and limiting burden, like a 6ft pole, I cannot do anything else except keep walking. In this metaphor small boy is a tightly strapped rucksack. I don’t know if I miss the ladders – perhaps I’m too busy concentrating on keeping my balance – to find my way back to the ground and I’m not sure if I could hold on to the pole and descend a ladder at the same time. I think I’d like to do more with my life than just put one foot in front of the other while fervently hoping I don’t fall. And, the paradox is, since concentrating is such hard work, falling becomes quite an attractive alternative.

Perhaps it’s just the time of year that has me wanting to escape. I do not trust my judgements. So, I continue to hold my breath and try to maintain an unstable balance.
          Last edited by badgergirl; 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• And, the paradox is, since concentrating is such hard work, falling becomes quite an attractive alternative.
            hence why I get temporarily captured by aliens in order to stop the falling. someone has to look after my small children and I have to look after myself. there are just so many layers of the onion and corners in the maze too. I loved Shakespeare btw. especially his sonnets. sonnet 118 is poss one of my faves. pretty much says it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              hence why I get temporarily captured by aliens in order to stop the falling. someone has to look after my small children and I have to look after myself. there are just so many layers of the onion and corners in the maze too. I loved Shakespeare btw. especially his sonnets. sonnet 118 is poss one of my faves. pretty much says it all.
              Ah, I'm not so familiar with the sonnets beyond the most famous ones - you're right: 118 is very much on the money.

And, since this is Frank Turner week here at Badger Mansions, here are another two songs that make my heart ascend to my mouth.

and

Comment

• Ah, I'm not so familiar with the sonnets beyond the most famous ones - you're right: 118 is very much on the money.
                I thought 118 was one of the most famous ones LOL goes to show what I know. I didn't study literature formally beyond school and I actually enjoyed it then. I was trying to explain to my 13 yr old who was complaining about having to do strange books at school how much I hated it to begin with. what changed that was OMG pride and prejudice but I had to read it twice before I got it. first time I almost died of boredom. I love love love all that old literature. Everything from old Viking love stories which are so violent to things like pride and prejudice. I love old poems from the middle ages and before too.

Comment

• Okay then, I'm not familiar with the sonnets at all! We did some of the dark lady ones at uni, but then got stuck into Webster and Dekker. The plays I know best are the ones I read at high school - Macbeth, Hamlet, R&J, Julius Caesar and then some of the others I've got to know courtesy of the RSC: the Tempest, Richard III, A&C, Much Ado, Midsummer Night's Dream (though if you ever get a chance to see Donkey Show grab it with both hands), Coriolanus. I love theatre - contemporary and the canon. I read a fair amount of poetry as part of my masters, but that was mainly stuff from the 1970s.

I often feel the need to go back and do a comprehensive survey course of the entire canon. I know, right, just a small ambition! I'd like to break out of a few reading ruts. This is why I treasure my subscription to the London Review of Books - there's always at least one essay that is pure gold in each issue.
                  Last edited by badgergirl; 03-03-2014, 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling, ffs

Comment

• I really should go back and re-read the plays we studied in high school. Twelfth Night, R&J, Merchant of Venice etc. I'd like to read them and enjoy the flow of the work without stopping every 4 lines to dissect it. Is that wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
                      I really should go back and re-read the plays we studied in high school. Twelfth Night, R&J, Merchant of Venice etc. I'd like to read them and enjoy the flow of the work without stopping every 4 lines to dissect it. Is that wrong?
                      My feeling with the plays is that they have to be seen. Reading can only get me so far.

Comment

• Ok so when I win the lottery and show up at your door with a bunch of wine you'll take me to see a play? I only ever went on field trips in high school when I'd rather have been smoking at the mall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
                          Ok so when I win the lottery and show up at your door with a bunch of wine you'll take me to see a play? I only ever went on field trips in high school when I'd rather have been smoking at the mall.
                          Meet me in London. I've already promised DD and Doc a tour of the city involving theatre, sex shops and wine bars. There will be shoe shopping too. And art galleries.

Comment

• My feeling with the plays is that they have to be seen. Reading can only get me so far.
                            we used to read it all the way thru. the re-read and dissect. we also got to go see it. the interpretation is very important. I got to see peter toole I think it was once in Macbeth. he is such a good shakespearian actor. dad also told me Shakespeare had a lot of hidden political meaning in his writing as he could get away with it.

I only ever went on field trips in high school when I'd rather have been smoking at the mall.
                            you can spend the rest of your life smoking at the mall. well maybe not now as you aren't allowed lol but you only ever get a very small window of opportunity to go on school field trips and bunk off to smoke there so I reckon they should be taken. That said, I still bunk off to smoke on school trips as we aren't allowed to. and one time my whisky in a jar leaked lol i so hate doing parent help.

Comment

• I love seeing several different productions of the same play. I used to be spoiled, living in London, I've seen two Tempests as well as, at high school, being lucky enough to have the RSC outreach team come and workshop the play with us. Thinking, I'm sure I've seen two versions of Much Ado, I've seen an all-female Richard III at the Globe that was great as well as a more traditional cast version.

Contemporary work...Cheek By Jowl did some amazing stuff: In Flame and an AMAZING adaptation of Mill on the Floss. I saw Art a few times with different casts and the Donkey Show five, six times (I used to be on a mailing list for spare, free tickets).

I MISS LONDON.

Comment

• I MISS LONDON.
                                I do too. so much more going on than in the entire country here. I miss the diversity too altho I don't miss the poms. there are loads here now. the other day I think it wasn't until the evening that I encountered a kiwi. very scarey. no ethic or cultural diversity at all. they were all poms.

an all female Richard 3rd would have been something. I went to see midsummer night's dream in regent park I think it was when I was there?

Comment

Working...
                                X