• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    I am not walking anywhere!
    I don't bleedin' blame you....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    Then I went to the offie and bought two bottles of chilled rose wine (sorry, I do not know the code for an accented e). One has already 'evaporated' and I've been home for 25 minutes...

...it's still crazy, crazy hot.
    Hope the second bottle, took a bit longer....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    It's crazy science how liquids "evaporate" when the temp is up..... Beer and cider do the same thing here.... weird....
    Bizarre that innit, might do a personal experiment on Saturday night round me local, just to see how long it takes like, err....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
      I'm waiting until the small boy is asleep for that one. I checked - It's only 10% alc/vol...so, two for one, really.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

I just spent an enjoyable ten minutes throwing buckets of water over the toasty bricks (on the outside of the house) to aid evaporative cooling. Then, in the interests of science, I threw a bucket of cold water over myself and my pyjamas.
        Lol, did the experiment work?! Lot of science being spoke here today....

I'm waiting until the small boy is asleep for that one. I checked - It's only 10% alc/vol...so, two for one, really.
        Ahh, providence or some such....2-4-1, you can't beat a bargain!

Comment

Lol, did the experiment work?! Lot of science being spoke here today....
          I'm certainly cooler. I might need to repeat the experiment shortly though - the PJs are drying out fast.

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
          Ahh, providence or some such....2-4-1, you can't beat a bargain!
          Indeed. I'm a cheap date.

Comment

I don't bleedin' blame you....

Bizarre that innit, might do a personal experiment on Saturday night round me local, just to see how long it takes like, err....
            I would think that a denser beverage such as Guiness would evaporate much slower than a lighter beverage, like cider... even in your northern lattitudes..

Comment

I'm certainly cooler. I might need to repeat the experiment shortly though - the PJs are drying out fast.
              So, an ongoing concern or a partial success....

Indeed. I'm a cheap date.
              Top girl.... the world needs more cheap dates....

I would think that a denser beverage such as Guiness would evaporate much slower than a lighter beverage, like cider... even in your northern lattitudes..
              You're probably right, even here in the tundra....alas I can't drink the black stuff, could try it with wine, but that's different volumes, unless I gets a pint of it, which turns an experiment into turning someone (namely me) horizontal....

Comment

• Back on the sober wagon although I could not bear to look in the fridge so husband went and bought fish and chips, so not exactly the most cavegirl of days.

Currently I have the weather website on constant refresh so that I can open the house up ASAP. It's dropped from 44C to 29C in just over an hour. Husband insists the house is still cooler, but I am unconvinced. We took the small boy to the pool earlier. It was so nice to shiver.

Comment

Back on the sober wagon although I could not bear to look in the fridge so husband went and bought fish and chips, so not exactly the most cavegirl of days.

Currently I have the weather website on constant refresh so that I can open the house up ASAP. It's dropped from 44C to 29C in just over an hour. Husband insists the house is still cooler, but I am unconvinced. We took the small boy to the pool earlier. It was so nice to shiver.
                  thats a huge temp change..... wow!

Comment

I'm watching the tennis matches over there and the temps look insane! If you want to get rid of some heat you can send it this way... I'm already so done with winter...
                    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Back on the sober wagon although I could not bear to look in the fridge so husband went and bought fish and chips, so not exactly the most cavegirl of days.

I enjoy cooking mostly, but some nights I just can't be assed, chippies a salvation at times and in those temps, doing anythings a chore let alone being Nigella....

thats a huge temp change..... wow!
                      I concurs, that's a hell of a swing....

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                      I'm watching the tennis matches over there and the temps look insane! If you want to get rid of some heat you can send it this way... I'm already so done with winter...
                      The players are suffering a bit aren't um....And I agree, I'm thinking of chopping me car in for a canoe....

Comment

• Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                        ^^^^What she said!

Comment

• In which we decide that the small boy shall be a guitarist...

Temps have cooled right down to the early 20s. It's nice outside. It's nice inside. And the trains are running tomorrow (knock on wood, cross fingers etc). My cup overrunneth.

Because I am now able to move without sweat running in rivulets down my back, arms, legs (in truth this happened even when I kept completely still) I went rather berserk on the chores this weekend. I cleaned, I scrubbed, I vacuumed (the cobwebs you get here you would not believe, so I vacuumed the walls inside and out - god love the Dyson extendable hose), I mopped, I polished (wooden floors and tile floors). I did five or six loads of laundry, I weeded the front garden and pruned the bare twigs that prior to last week had been verdant fuchsias (don't worry, those feckers are hardy).

We have a Saturday routine - groceries and then a mooch around Vinnies (the Aussie equivalent to Oxfam, sort of). This week we got: yet more plastic action figures/miniatures for man and boy to use in a space game that man and boy are inventing (it should be available to buy in a few months' time via the link in my sig file if you're really jonesing for an RPG with a sci-fi flavour that you can play with the kids); two dresses (one needs altering) and a pink t-shirt for me (I need pink tops, for some misguided reason my wardrobe would be infinitely more wearable if only I had pink and/or white tops and as I DO NOT iron EVER these cannot be shirts); a manga graphic novel (to add to husband's already over-extensive collection)...

...and...

...a classical guitar with only two strings (it's meant - obviously - to have six). When the small boy returns to school he will be taking private (I need a word for extra lessons at an already private school - 'intimate'?) starter lessons in four instruments to see if he has an aptitude/interest in pursuing music as a hobby/passion. If he decides to continue with any of the four he shall need an instrument to practise on at home. The starter/taster lessons are for: drums (hell, no, we cannot have a drum kit - and don't think he hasn't already asked, of course he has); violin (er, god, really? not keen on caterwauling practice sessions - I'd rather give him a hammer*); piano (we have a 3/4 size electric keyboard that is good enough for a beginner); and, last but not least, guitar.

Hmmm. I grew up with my mother murdering I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane (as if it wasn't bad enough, er, live) on a classical guitar every night, but let's hope history won't repeat itself.

Anyway, a bit of googling together with some paypal happy spending and within a day or so we'll have a stand, replacement strings, a clip-on tuner and a capo (I just learnt what this is today) for it and, lo, we enter a new era - the musical family.

* here is Eddie Izzard telling it as it is before he discovered politics and running - really worth five minutes of your day
                          Last edited by badgergirl; 01-19-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• Seasick Steve has made a living playing guitars with only two strings, even one on his one string diddly bow....

Not doing a grandma and eggs thing here, but what strings did you get for the geetar, I use martin acoustic custom lights on mine, and it might be worth checking the action when you have got it stringed and getting it set up if it's too high/low!

Good move on the violin, I got a cheap one to try and learn on, took about half a day to tune it up, and the noise was intolerable.... lost patiance with it after that!

I was trying to find a Giles cartoon on line with a bloke on boxing day putting a sign on his front gate saying 'kids drum kit for sale' and his neighbour putting a sign on his gate saying 'good'!

Me to on the ironing, unless it's me court/funeral shirt....

Comment

• Oh good luck to small boy for his music lessons. I hope he goes for piano, but guitar is not a bad choice either and has the advantage of being very portable.

I'm with you on the violin, it was the one instrument that I could never bring myself to insist that my daughters practice and it soon died a natural death as a result. Even treble recorder was preferable to my ears (as long as it was played outside, haha); and I never minded the neighbour's drums. I would just think "good, he's practising again, I wish my students were so faithful".
                              Annie Ups the Ante
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                                Oh good luck to small boy for his music lessons. I hope he goes for piano, but guitar is not a bad choice either and has the advantage of being very portable.

I'm with you on the violin, it was the one instrument that I could never bring myself to insist that my daughters practice and it soon died a natural death as a result. Even treble recorder was preferable to my ears (as long as it was played outside, haha); and I never minded the neighbour's drums. I would just think "good, he's practising again, I wish my students were so faithful".
                                That is a good point about the drums, having been in a couple of bands, good stick men are more than hard to come by, they are round my way anyway, so it might not be the worst option! Used to play with a drummer who used to practice on an electronic set a bit like this, he used it live once, one of the funniest gigs I ever played....

Comment

Working...
                                X