No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are in the middle of a heatwave. A ghastly 43C today followed by very high 30s/low 40s for the rest of the week. Our house is a nightmare and, perplexingly, holds heat better than a sauna in the summer, but refuses to retain the heat we pump into it in winter. Essentially, the house is bobbins, I've seen little pigs with straw and sticks build better shelters.

Salads are the order of the day, since who in their right mind would add heat on a day like this? Yesterday we had homemade hummus and baba ganoush (leftovers from the pirate event) with crudites, a sort of Greek salad, cold cuts and cheeses. Today will somewhat similar, minus the hummus and baba ganoush. Tomorrow is salmon 'cooked' in lemon juice and yet more raw vegetables chopped up or grated in combination with other raw vegetables. I cracked and made a fruit salad to sit in the fridge - melon, blueberries and apple in orange and pineapple juice - and had some for breakfast with walnuts and Greek yoghurt.

The summer always makes me homesick for Greece, where the architecture and customs are much more attuned to mitigating the heat of the day. My friend, Greek K, sent me a surprise gift: My Greek Island Home | Penguin Books Australia And it is beautiful and infuriating all at once. Oh for a jug of retsina, a bowl of horiatiki and a plate of horta.

I must be pining. I even made frappe yesterday for all three of us, not entirely legit since I used moka pot leftovers instead of nescafe, but near enough.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      We are in the middle of a heatwave. A ghastly 43C today followed by very high 30s/low 40s for the rest of the week. Our house is a nightmare and, perplexingly, holds heat better than a sauna in the summer, but refuses to retain the heat we pump into it in winter. Essentially, the house is bobbins, I've seen little pigs with straw and sticks build better shelters.

Salads are the order of the day, since who in their right mind would add heat on a day like this? Yesterday we had homemade hummus and baba ganoush (leftovers from the pirate event) with crudites, a sort of Greek salad, cold cuts and cheeses. Today will somewhat similar, minus the hummus and baba ganoush. Tomorrow is salmon 'cooked' in lemon juice and yet more raw vegetables chopped up or grated in combination with other raw vegetables. I cracked and made a fruit salad to sit in the fridge - melon, blueberries and apple in orange and pineapple juice - and had some for breakfast with walnuts and Greek yoghurt.

The summer always makes me homesick for Greece, where the architecture and customs are much more attuned to mitigating the heat of the day. My friend, Greek K, sent me a surprise gift: My Greek Island Home | Penguin Books Australia And it is beautiful and infuriating all at once. Oh for a jug of retsina, a bowl of horiatiki and a plate of horta.

I must be pining. I even made frappe yesterday for all three of us, not entirely legit since I used moka pot leftovers instead of nescafe, but near enough.
      Ahhh Greece..... I've been to Santorini and to Rhodes.... Loved them both. The scenery was gorgeous and the food was fab... The people were very nice and generous.... I truly enjoyed my visit, and would love to go back again someday..

Comment

We are in the middle of a heatwave. A ghastly 43C today followed by very high 30s/low 40s for the rest of the week. Our house is a nightmare and, perplexingly, holds heat better than a sauna in the summer, but refuses to retain the heat we pump into it in winter. Essentially, the house is bobbins, I've seen little pigs with straw and sticks build better shelters.
        Other end of the scale over here weather wise, couldn't get in me car this morning, as the door was frost welded shut, swell, not quite what they suffered state side, but fresh enough....Greek food, makes me pine for stifado!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          Ahhh Greece..... I've been to Santorini and to Rhodes.... Loved them both. The scenery was gorgeous and the food was fab... The people were very nice and generous.... I truly enjoyed my visit, and would love to go back again someday..
          I've visited Santorini - beautiful, beautiful - and a few of the other Cyclades, I've also spent a week or two on Crete. I lived in Tripoli in the Peloponnese for a year and it opened my eyes and changed who I was in a way that later uprootings have not. I miss it dreadfully sometimes.

Comment

• We had a grass fire just outside the suburb of doom last night. SMSes from all the in-laws to ask me to tell husband there's a fire. I only noticed late last night though, several hours after I had driven through the smoke of said fire with small boy, small boy's friend (small girl) and small girl's mother. DRAMA. I asked husband if he'd told the in-laws (all of whom also live in the suburb of doom) that he was alive.

I get it. Fires are scary. But. But. But. This one was tiny!

The smalls went to the museum for the day and I scored a lift home with them as I work quite close by. I have lifts both ways for today and tomorrow - yay! Trains are back next week and the temperature is forecast to drop to 23C overnight on Friday. I cannot wait for this week to be over.

Fruit salad, yoghurt and walnuts for brekkers. Salad with chorizo for lunch. More salad for dinner. I like salad, but there are limits.

Comment

• You will be turning into a friggin rabbit next Badger!!!!!!!
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                You will be turning into a friggin rabbit next Badger!!!!!!!
                a roasted friggin rabbit.

In sad news, my composting worms all cooked yesterday.

Comment

• That is extremely sad....... There wont be any early birds at yours tamorra
                  "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    That is extremely sad....... There wont be any early birds at yours tamorra
                    I know. I added water to the farm the day before and I tried to put it in total shade, but 43C is 43C and the next day when I checked on them they were dead. I think even if we'd brought the farm inside and put it directly under the AC it would have been too hot for them. Our house is a sweatbox.

I've been taking cold baths with the small boy in the evening and reading Roald Dahl to him (he's in heaven because a/ I'm in the bath with him and b/ I'm reading for far longer than usual because I adore Dahl). Tonight we finished up Fantastic Mr Fox. I hadn't remembered more than the rough plot so imagine my delight when I stumbled across this little gem:
                    'Cider,' said Badger, 'is especially good for Badgers. We take it as medicine - one large glass three times a day with meals and another at bedtime.'

Comment

43C is 43C
                      'Cider,' said Badger, 'is especially good for Badgers. We take it as medicine - one large glass three times a day with meals and another at bedtime.'
                      That 43C is coming my way perhaps I need that cider prescription
                      link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

I know. I added water to the farm the day before and I tried to put it in total shade, but 43C is 43C and the next day when I checked on them they were dead. I think even if we'd brought the farm inside and put it directly under the AC it would have been too hot for them. Our house is a sweatbox.

I've been taking cold baths with the small boy in the evening and reading Roald Dahl to him (he's in heaven because a/ I'm in the bath with him and b/ I'm reading for far longer than usual because I adore Dahl). Tonight we finished up Fantastic Mr Fox. I hadn't remembered more than the rough plot so imagine my delight when I stumbled across this little gem:
                        Now that's a prescription too adhere to....43C, ouch!

Originally posted by jacmac View Post
                        That 43C is coming my way perhaps I need that cider prescription
                        Good luck on you for that, and you probably do!

Comment

• Top temp today is forecast to be 44C, the hot weather is meant to break late tomorrow night. Every day the house retains just a few more degrees of heat (it's been in the high 20s/early 30s overnight, but the house is not cooling down). Last night was pretty difficult and I'm not the only one who's come into work with my cranky pants on (so much for airing the vulva). The A/C upstairs is not working properly and many of the ladies who work here have personal climate control issues at the best of times (it's their age, they can't help it). Tempers are frayed.

Yesterday, a bolt of lightening took out the train signals for the last stretch of track home - the bit that actually still has trains on it - luckily, I had secured a lift home (and have one for tonight also). When I arrived home, the boys were sweating in the dark, having barely left the house (idiots, I keep telling husband to take small boy out to somewhere with A/C), dirty dishes were piled up around the sink (the dishwasher was full of the day before's clean dishes) and nothing constructive had been done. Husband was also very tetchy. I dread to think what tonight's homecoming will be like.

On the upside, husband has sold a large number of pdf books and a couple of hardcopies this month, which has lifted his spirits a bit. He's doing his first roleplay conference on the Australia Day long weekend at the end of this month - fingers crossed.

This is day 16 of sobriety. It's going well. Some of the Christmas bloat/fat has departed, but progress has been somewhat stymied by the heat - I am not walking anywhere!

More salad tonight. Thrilling, isn't it?

Comment

• defeat

By the time I'd waited an extra ten minutes for a delayed train, been booted off said delayed train at the next station and then waited 20 minutes on a platform in 44C heat, got off the train and been driven home...I was in no mood to chop yet more vegetables.
                            So, at my instigation, went out for Thai food. It was wonderful to sweat because of chilies in a cool room rather than sweat eating salads in a hot room.

Then I went to the offie and bought two bottles of chilled rose wine (sorry, I do not know the code for an accented e). One has already 'evaporated' and I've been home for 25 minutes...

...it's still crazy, crazy hot.
                            Last edited by badgergirl; 01-16-2014, 01:25 AM.

Comment

By the time I'd waited an extra ten minutes for a delayed train, been booted off said delayed train at the next station and then waited 20 minutes on a platform in 44C heat, got off the train and been driven home...I was in no mood to chop yet more vegetables.
                              So, at my instigation, went out for Thai food. It was wonderful to sweat because of chilies in a cool room rather than sweat eating salads in a hot room.

Then I went to the offie and bought two bottles of chilled rose wine (sorry, I do not know the code for an accented e). One has already 'evaporated' and I've been home for 25 minutes...

...it's still crazy, crazy hot.
                              It's crazy science how liquids "evaporate" when the temp is up..... Beer and cider do the same thing here.... weird....

Comment

• I just spent an enjoyable ten minutes throwing buckets of water over the toasty bricks (on the outside of the house) to aid evaporative cooling. Then, in the interests of science, I threw a bucket of cold water over myself and my pyjamas.

Comment

Working...
                                X