waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    Eight days dry - another two months to go. I've cut down on other staining food/drink too as I'm bleaching my teeth. Fun times at Badger Mansions.

Oh! A bright spot! I finally bought myself a 12-cup Bialetti moka pot. It is perfect for two mugs of coffee - one for me and one for husband - in the morning (don't judge). Set it up, have a shower, come back to the kitchen just as the magic happens.
    Don't wish to be a downer, but my dentist blames tes/coffee for my lower teeth staining, all one cup of tea a day of it....He can de-coke um on me six monthly is the answer to that!

Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
    Me thinks you should have started the "drying out" process AFTER throwing a birthday party with 25 kids. Good lord woman, I need a drink just thinking about it lol!
    Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    25 children in one place? I think I blacked out a little just reading that.
    Word, that would have me on a intravenous fed cider drip....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
      that would have me on a intravenous fed cider drip....
      Amen brother... amen

Comment

• Badger, well done on the eight days! May small boy's birthday be one to remember for all the right reasons. And enjoy your coffee.
        Annie Ups the Ante
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• I had to go back and reread your post about how many kids at the b'day party and yup you really did say 25 six year olds.
          All that can be said is good luck and I hope some of the parents feel sorry for you and stay to help.
          link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• No no no, you don't want to have to cater for parents as WELL. The kids will be fine with the pool staff. Have a great day.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              No no no, you don't want to have to cater for parents as WELL. The kids will be fine with the pool staff. Have a great day.
              I was astonished too, Annie, but it turns out that in our circles most of the parents do stay and expect at least token catering. This can run the gamut from champers and canapés (while the little blighters run riot unsupervised) to a sausage sizzle (uniquely Aussie sausage-inna-bun social event). It seems common to hire an entertainer so that the adults can gasbag while the children are occupied. This is not the children's party I grew up with, where it really was all about the littles (party games followed by birthday tea and cake for around six children - real Enid Blyton stuff) and all the guests' parents scarpered for two/three hours.

We will do a fruit platter (Aussie for a deconstructed fruit salad) and a cheese platter (Aussie for a cheese board - this platter business had me right puzzled until I realised it just meant big plate) with dips and crackers for the tall folks and standard party fare for the shorties.

I *think* I know how to do a treasure chest cake...
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

I was astonished too, Annie, but it turns out that in our circles most of the parents do stay and expect at least token catering. This can run the gamut from champers and canapés (while the little blighters run riot unsupervised) to a sausage sizzle (uniquely Aussie sausage-inna-bun social event). It seems common to hire an entertainer so that the adults can gasbag while the children are occupied. This is not the children's party I grew up with, where it really was all about the littles (party games followed by birthday tea and cake for around six children - real Enid Blyton stuff) and all the guests' parents scarpered for two/three hours.

We will do a fruit platter (Aussie for a deconstructed fruit salad) and a cheese platter (Aussie for a cheese board - this platter business had me right puzzled until I realised it just meant big plate) with dips and crackers for the tall folks and standard party fare for the shorties.

I *think* I know how to do a treasure chest cake...
                Dang... And I thought a Birthday party at McDonalds was a big to-do! lol.... Or even Chucky Cheese Pizza Emporium

Comment

• How did it go Badger???????
                  "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                    How did it go Badger???????
                    Day passed off okay. Small boy has been very happy. It's a scorcher today - 32C - so bike riding or similar was out of the question and husband loathes the beach. We went to the movies (accidentally missing the PILs) and then visited non-mad SIL to share a 'strawberries and cream cake' (Victoria sponge spiked with a little strawberry nesquik, sandwiched with strawberry jam, fresh strawberries and whipped cream) - this is the cake small boy always requests. Lots of new lego and playmobil, books and assorted plastic drek. No big gift this year - I want to get a swing set or similar, but it's hard when we're renting.

We're about half way prepared for the pool party on Sunday.

Since this is ostensibly a food diary...
                    B: yoghurt, coffee
                    L: slice of roast turkey, larger slice of roast pork belly
                    D: tomato, roast pork belly, pickled onions (my birth right), leftover cold roast butternut and carrots (did I mention it's hot?)
                    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-09-2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Day passed off okay. Small boy has been very happy.
                      All I can say is, good! Missing the PIL's was a bonus as well....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      We're about half way prepared for the pool party on Sunday.
                      Still don't envy you that, I can tell ee....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      Since this is ostensibly a food diary...
                      B: yoghurt, coffee
                      L: slice of roast turkey, larger slice of roast pork belly
                      D: tomato, roast pork belly, pickled onions (my birth right), leftover cold roast butternut and carrots (did I mention it's hot?)
                      Why cant I like pickled onions, likes onions, likes pickled eggs (with chillies as well), could never get into pickled eggs, christ I'm a weirdo....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                        Why cant I like pickled onions, likes onions, likes pickled eggs (with chillies as well), could never get into pickled eggs, christ I'm a weirdo....
                        I've never tried a picked egg. I don't like hard-boiled eggs (actually, I don't like congealed egg white so soft boiled are also a challenge) and the way they bob around in the jar in the chippy has always reminded me of a Roswell-themed episode of the X Files.

Comment

• Let's get back to the truly exciting news: the trains and my commute.

This week I have been lucky enough to score a lift in with a co-worker who lives nearby - her husband drives three of us to a city met station and then we travel a few stops into work. I leave later than usual and arrive on time! Tonight same co-worker is giving me a lift home, direct, the only downside is that I have to stay in the office until 5pm, but I should, still, get home by 6pm. Next week I have Monday and Friday off, for the three days in the middle I have a lift in and for two of them I have a lift home from a different co-worker, but we have to leave at 3pm - so I shall work a shorter day *and* have a quicker commute! The final day is Thursday next week and I have yet to decide how I shall attempt to make my way home.

Today, small boy had his first ever professional haircut. Yours truly printed off a montage of Hoxton fin photos so that trouble in trousers could explain what he wanted to the man with the scissors. I await the results of the big chop with excitement and trepidation.

In other news (literally, it was in a publicly available magazine) one of our leading lights at work was directly quoted as saying: 'I am in support of airing the vulva'. While another of our grandees proudly proclaimed (after describing how patients shouldn't fear the words oral and anal) 'sex is our life'. Up until now, I have looked for every opportunity to use Virginia and Leonard Woolf's phrase 'airing the marmots', however, now I have a new favourite and we're considering a commando for charity day at work.

Comment

I've never tried a picked egg. I don't like hard-boiled eggs (actually, I don't like congealed egg white so soft boiled are also a challenge) and the way they bob around in the jar in the chippy has always reminded me of a Roswell-themed episode of the X Files.
                            I've never looked at them that way before, but I can see where you're coming from....

How'd the boys ear lower session go?!

Commando at work day, now that sounds a worthy endeavour, if it's for charity!

Comment

• Fantastic news about the ride to work and I'm sure small boy will look cute as a button with his new 'do.
                              With regard to "airing the nether regions" my Oma (German for grandma) always told the grand daughters to sleep without any undies, "everything needs air" she used to say.

Comment

• Haha, commando at work day, only in Australia would this be acceptable
                                link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

Working...
                                X