waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Thank the gods for Kindles and Nooks..... you can carry an entire library in the palm of your hand.....
    I have a Kindle (previous gift from husband) and I loathe it. I had never realised how much enjoyment I get from the paper, the typescript...the individual flavour of a physical book, until I tried to read books on my Kindle. I'm clearly not cut out for this modern age.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I actually agree with you badgerbabygirl. I do read books on my kindle, or what ever its called, but nothing like sitting on a comfy chair, turning some newsprint!!!!!!
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I have a Kindle (previous gift from husband) and I loathe it. I had never realised how much enjoyment I get from the paper, the typescript...the individual flavour of a physical book, until I tried to read books on my Kindle. I'm clearly not cut out for this modern age.
        Oh, I totally agree... I love holding and reading a book. The feel and smell of the paper is something you can't get from a Kindle. For travel purposes, I'd rather haul around a 10 ounce machine than a 2 pound book.... but then I'm a lazy guy...

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          Oh, I totally agree... I love holding and reading a book. The feel and smell of the paper is something you can't get from a Kindle. For travel purposes, I'd rather haul around a 10 ounce machine than a 2 pound book.... but then I'm a lazy guy...
          I'm such a cheapskate - in the ideal world one would replicate one's library on the Kindle, but I cannot afford to do that. So, until that time, I shall continue to buy real books and lug them around instead of buying their e-shadows and then resenting that I don't have the real deal on the bookshelf. This could be a business opp for Amazon - these days you get the mp3 version free when you buy the old-school CD, no? I'd pay a nominal amount on top of the book's price to get the e-version at the same time. What really galled me was spending a only few squid less than the hard copy, but getting less (a lot less) reading pleasure.

Also, books are future proof and are in my ownership whereas I don't doubt that the ebook format will change, also doesn't Amazon own everything on the kindle? I think they can wipe it at will.

Comment

• Prefer books meself, but I do mean to buy some elastic trickery device, purely for what the doc said, when travelling it's just easier to lug around, over here with the budget airlines as well as you can only carry about 2lb in weight in your luggage.... also need to get meself into the 20th (yes 20th) century....

I'm the same with me music as well, much prefer CD's/albums to downloading stuff, as I like reading the sleeve notes and stuff!

Comment

I'm such a cheapskate - in the ideal world one would replicate one's library on the Kindle, but I cannot afford to do that. So, until that time, I shall continue to buy real books and lug them around instead of buying their e-shadows and then resenting that I don't have the real deal on the bookshelf. This could be a business opp for Amazon - these days you get the mp3 version free when you buy the old-school CD, no? I'd pay a nominal amount on top of the book's price to get the e-version at the same time. What really galled me was spending a only few squid less than the hard copy, but getting less (a lot less) reading pleasure.

Also, books are future proof and are in my ownership whereas I don't doubt that the ebook format will change, also doesn't Amazon own everything on the kindle? I think they can wipe it at will.
              You make good points... and I do agree I'd rather have a book in my hand and library. I really don't know about the Amazon cloud wipe, but they own the servers, it is possible... The first books I put on my Kindle were free versions of some of the classics. Some Mark Twain, Dickens, Marcus Aurelius, Dante, a couple of old farming books. I have recently started buying books partially because it's an hours drive from my house to the nearest bookstore of any worth. Like I said, I'm lazy....

Comment

• I may have mentioned this in passing before, but husband has an amazing metabolism. I'm blessed with a fairly forgiving metabolic rate and, as long as I don't go crazy on white carbs or wine, I can maintain what passes for a slender form with minimum effort (losing fat after I have gone crazy with wine and floury treats is a slightly more challenging proposition, but never mind). Husband, however, does not get fat (he doesn't get muscled with exercise either) he's simply a stick no matter what. He finds food an inconvenience and tends to intermittently snack on sugary nonsense. I suspect that the 'laws' of calories in and out are never broken; I suspect that he naturally regulates without conscious thought his intake of chocolates, boiled sweets, popcorn, Tim Tams and pizza, frequently skipping meals without consideration. Small boy has inherited this miraculous capacity to eat small, infrequent, mainly sugary meals and thrive, albeit with a skinny physique (and it is very difficult to restrict access to less-than-stellar food when husband keeps a stock of such delights for himself).

However, husband has recently turned 40 and, seemingly, his super-power metabolism is on the wane. He now has what he refers to as a doughnut of fat around his midsection - yes, he is skinny-fat. He has been left deeply troubled by this turn of events, not least because body fat revolts him, but at a loss as how to resolve matters. He is still snacking on sugary nonsense whenever the mood strikes, only thinking afterwards: ah, perhaps I shouldn't eat that. We had a very odd conversation where I explained to him that us mere mortals often have those thoughts before, during and after eating.

I don't want to export any of my many and varied food neuroses to him (or, more importantly, to small boy), but I would like to see both of them eat less sugar/white food. It has to come from them though. Watch, as they say, this space.
                Last edited by badgergirl; 01-05-2014, 07:50 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I may have mentioned this in passing before, but husband has an amazing metabolism. I'm blessed with a fairly forgiving metabolic rate and, as long as I don't go crazy on white carbs or wine, I can maintain what passes for a slender form with minimum effort (losing fat after I have gone crazy with wine and floury treats is a slightly more challenging proposition, but never mind). Husband, however, does not get fat (he doesn't get muscled with exercise either) he's simply a stick no matter what. He finds food an inconvenience and tends to intermittently snack on sugary nonsense. I suspect that the 'laws' of calories in and out are never broken; I suspect that he naturally regulates without conscious thought his intake of chocolates, boiled sweets, popcorn, Tim Tams and pizza, frequently skipping meals without consideration. Small boy has inherited this miraculous capacity to eat small, infrequent, mainly sugary meals and thrive, albeit with a skinny physique (and it is very difficult to restrict access to less-than-stellar food when husband keeps a stock of such delights for himself).

However, husband has recently turned 40 and, seemingly, his super-power metabolism is on the wane. He now has what he refers to as a doughnut of fat around his midsection - yes, he is skinny-fat. He has been left deeply troubled by this turn of events, not least because body fat revolts him, but at a loss as how to resolve matters. He is still snacking on sugary nonsense whenever the mood strikes, only thinking afterwards: ah, perhaps I shouldn't eat that. We had a very odd conversation where I explained to him that us mere mortals often have those thoughts before, during and after eating.

I don't want to export any of my many and varied food neuroses to him (or, more importantly, to small boy), but I would like to see both of them eat less sugar/white food. It has to come from them though. Watch, as they say, this space.
                  It seems 40 is the "magic" age... lots of things start to fall apart...... I never wore glasses until @ 42... now I can't read without them....

Comment

Your right, trying to do it yourself is probably a King Canute job!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                    It seems 40 is the "magic" age... lots of things start to fall apart...... I never wore glasses until @ 42... now I can't read without them....
                    Or 30....I still don't need binoculars yet, lucky that way, just wish me back was as good as me eyes....

Comment

• Eight days dry - another two months to go. I've cut down on other staining food/drink too as I'm bleaching my teeth. Fun times at Badger Mansions.

The rail works continue. Last night I tried the train-bus-train malarkey. Got home earlier, but travel was stressful and unpleasant. Selfishly, if I get home later I avoid much of the dinner-bath-bed hoopla, but I suppose I should stick to the faster and more arduous commute in order to relieve husband from solo parenting that bit sooner.

Equally, the effinlaw nonsense continues with guilt trips by proxy and emotional sh*tstorms. Husband has frozen and shut down in response.

Finally, tomorrow the small boy turns six. There will be movie, cake, dinner on the day and a pirate pool party for 25 children and their handlers on Sunday. I have booked Monday off work to recover. Pictures will, no doubt, follow.

Oh! A bright spot! I finally bought myself a 12-cup Bialetti moka pot. It is perfect for two mugs of coffee - one for me and one for husband - in the morning (don't judge). Set it up, have a shower, come back to the kitchen just as the magic happens.
                      Last edited by badgergirl; 01-07-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Me thinks you should have started the "drying out" process AFTER throwing a birthday party with 25 kids. Good lord woman, I need a drink just thinking about it lol!
                        Seriously though, hope small boy has a wonderful day, looking forward to seeing some pics. Enjoy the heck out of every minute, they truly do grow up so quickly. *sigh* says the mother of 3 children; 2 already in their 20s and the baby just turned 17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
                          Me thinks you should have started the "drying out" process AFTER throwing a birthday party with 25 kids. Good lord woman, I need a drink just thinking about it lol!
                          Seriously though, hope small boy has a wonderful day, looking forward to seeing some pics. Enjoy the heck out of every minute, they truly do grow up so quickly. *sigh* says the mother of 3 children; 2 already in their 20s and the baby just turned 17.
                          It's going to be the most straightforward party we've ever done as the pool staff run all the games, all we have to do is the catering. I'm hoping to do a treasure-chest cake to go with the pirate theme and we have various pirate-themed things to use on the table for a full-on Pinterest-worthy event, not to mention I can reuse the bunting I made for his fourth birthday. I was my own worst enemy as I panic invited extra kids when I didn't get many RVSPs...then, suddenly, all the RVSPs came in, plus the extra kids, and now it's a huge extravaganza... But then, hey ho, we've only got the one child and he'll only be six once. We get as much pleasure out of these ridiculous projects as he does...

Comment

• Sounds like you have it well in hand. I am sure it will be an awesome day for your family and a lifelong memory as well.

Comment

• Hippy hoppy happy birthday to small boy for tomorrow, and i love big birthday parties......... Wind em up, then send em home LOL
                              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I have a smaller, generic version of your Bialetti. One perfect mug every morning.

25 children in one place? I think I blacked out a little just reading that.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X