Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Gig alert, went to see Chas and Dave on Sunday night, pure old time music hall!
    You lucky monkey!
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

    Comment


    • That's the go, it was a right party, 'Gertcha' was class as well....

      I raised a few glasses of apple 'juice' to all my MDA buddies
      As did I!

      Bacon and eggs for breakfast to kick the year off right
      Start the year as you mean to go on, top brekkie....

      Comment


      • I made a fish pie yesterday and my goodness was it good. I used smoked salmon (the shops here sell stuff specially for cooking, which seems to be the lower grade, tougher offcuts) and blue grenadier (big, meaty, white flesh) together with a tub of sour cream, the past-its-best Camembert and other assorted oddments of soft cheese, dill, parsley and a diced onion softened in milk. I topped it with horseradish mash and roasted broc and carrots to go with. It really worked out well. I have some leftovers for lunch today.

        Back at work. Last night was like a whole year of Sunday evenings rolled into one - the dread of having forgotten to do homework, the creeping horror of the early start... The one thing that kept me going was the thought that at least I'm only returning to a two-day week followed by a month of four-day weeks (small boy is on his summer hols and I wanted to spend some time with him, not to mention ease the burden on husband).

        To add to the general joy of the return to work, my train line is being worked on for all of January. There are two train companies in Victoria - the met (runs all urban services - private contract) and the v-line (runs all regional services, publicly owned). My station is where the two meet and, in a way that completely perplexed me when we first arrived, but seems semi-sensible now, urban passengers are not allowed to board regional trains that are going into the city...except at my station thanks to a promise the state govt made to the voters when the met service was extended out to our area. Make sense? Well, we are all - regional and met passengers - on buses in January. Usually this means I leave home ten minutes earlier get a regional rail replacement bus, arrive half an hour earlier in the city and have a 40 minute walk to work. In the evening I leave at the same time, walk across the city, get a regional rail replacement bus and arrive at around the same time as I do when I get a met train. Not any more. I had to beg my way on to an empty bus this morning - apparently my station is set-down only for regional buses. I am supposed to get a met train, met replacement bus, met train with estimated delays of an hour or more. No. For the rest of the month husband will be driving me to a station further out so that I can catch a regional rail replacement bus and then in the evenings I shall have to lie about my destination station. Fun and games.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

        Comment


        • Fish pie sounds lovely. Daily commute to work....not so much. After reading about what you have to go through twice a day, I shall stop complaining about my 90 minutes in the car. I shall however never stop complaining about the -30 degrees celsius temperature I am currently living in.

          Comment


          • I'm with Clarkie, that pie sounds ding dong, that commute, don't! My 20 minute drive/25 minute cycle is a veritable piece of urine in comparison....

            Comment


            • You have to love the metro/vic rail divide!!! Thankfully I'm out eastern

              Sent from my GT-I9295 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

              Comment


              • This morning was the first time we tried going from further out to catch the 'express' bus into the city. Result? I was 20 minutes late into work. No biggie as no one is here to see me (I'm supposed to arrive at 7.30am and almost everyone is still on holiday), but still. I think I'm commuting for more than four hours a day atm. Lovely. Still, at least some of it is walking. Last night I got home at 5.35pm (usual home time: 4.45pm) - can't patch on the bus so will have to stock up on books. Today husband and small boy are coming into the city and will take me home with them. Bliss!
                Last edited by badgergirl; 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM.
                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                Comment


                • Hi there Badgergirl, nice to see another Aussie address. Booo for the commute Thankfully I drive about 20 mins and I am at work.The downside of that though is no walking.
                  link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

                  Comment


                  • So. The only crimbo decs still up are the three wise badgers and baby jesus badger - I am determined that these will stay out until 6 January (Epiphany). It seems to me that in my lifetime the feast/celebration of Christmas has completely changed. Growing up, my maternal grandmother moved in for two weeks over the Christmas/New Year period and it was a time out of time: life slowed. The tree didn't arrive until a few days before, or even on Christmas Eve (too early and it would be dead before it was time to take it out) and with it the decorations, which were mostly handmade or ancient or both. Now Christmas starts on 1 December and ends on Boxing Day - the whole focus has shifted from holding an event with family at home to feting advent with colleagues, friends and family (one party after another all through December, each with obligatory Secret Santa gifts). No wonder then that by the 26th everyone is heartily sick of the whole thing and the race to dismantle the plastic tree (although I am a refusnik and still insist on having a slowly decomposing corpse of a conifer in the corner of our living room) begins. Mine was a resolutely English, working class, 1970s childhood, but as I said to husband I am nostalgic for a Christmas I have never had: Yule, solstice, the children of Green Knowe, The Dark is Rising, even the Hogfather etc. I am not Christian or even Pagan, but I long for a festival (and being a transplant from the Northern Hemisphere, it will always be a winter festival to me) that embodies those old-fashioned be-of-good-cheer, carols by candlelight values rather than the endless glitz, glamour and gifts of consumer Christmas.
                    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      So. The only crimbo decs still up are the three wise badgers and baby jesus badger - I am determined that these will stay out until 6 January (Epiphany). It seems to me that in my lifetime the feast/celebration of Christmas has completely changed. Growing up, my maternal grandmother moved in for two weeks over the Christmas/New Year period and it was a time out of time: life slowed. The tree didn't arrive until a few days before, or even on Christmas Eve (too early and it would be dead before it was time to take it out) and with it the decorations, which were mostly handmade or ancient or both. Now Christmas starts on 1 December and ends on Boxing Day - the whole focus has shifted from holding an event with family at home to feting advent with colleagues, friends and family (one party after another all through December, each with obligatory Secret Santa gifts). No wonder then that by the 26th everyone is heartily sick of the whole thing and the race to dismantle the plastic tree (although I am a refusnik and still insist on having a slowly decomposing corpse of a conifer in the corner of our living room) begins. Mine was a resolutely English, working class, 1970s childhood, but as I said to husband I am nostalgic for a Christmas I have never had: Yule, solstice, the children of Green Knowe, The Dark is Rising, even the Hogfather etc. I am not Christian or even Pagan, but I long for a festival (and being a transplant from the Northern Hemisphere, it will always be a winter festival to me) that embodies those old-fashioned be-of-good-cheer, carols by candlelight values rather than the endless glitz, glamour and gifts of consumer Christmas.
                      Yes the Wise Badgers etc should definitely stay till the 5th. Another traditionalist here, though for me christmas is definitely also tied in with summer, pohutukawas in flower, etc. Nevertheless there is still a hankering for a winter festival so occasionally we have celebrated Christmas mid-year as well, taking to the mountains for a cold snowy experience complete with log fire and mulled wine.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jacmac View Post
                        Hi there Badgergirl, nice to see another Aussie address. Booo for the commute Thankfully I drive about 20 mins and I am at work.The downside of that though is no walking.
                        Hi Jac - I've 'seen' you around on other threads. Thanks for popping by to say hello. I lived in Randwick (nappy valley) for six months when we first moved to Aus. Can't say I ever found Sdyney an easy place to live (perhaps Newtown would have suited us better). Coogee reminded me of Ryde on the Isle! I used to walk our Westie around Centennial Park for an hour each morning with the (then tiny) boy either in the Baby Bjorn or the rucksack contraption (both of which we'd freecycled when we were in London). I never failed to be amused/stunned by the sight of the packs of yummy mummies with their racing prams strolling around from one cafe to another in their designer sportswear.
                        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                        Comment


                        • There does seem to be as great divide between Melbourne and Sydney. Me, I originated from Birmingham England and migrated here when I was 11. So having lived in a few different locales just make the best of what you have seems to work.
                          The yummy mummies are something to behold aren't they? But I believe they are everywhere. I agree Newtown would be a nice place to live that is the area we first lived in when we arrived but for preference I would like to live near the beach don't really care which one just would love the coastal lifestyle and access to nature.
                          link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

                          Comment


                          • Ah, Melb vs Syd. Yes, indeed. Chips on shoulders on both sides!
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                            Comment


                            • Hmmm chips make mine salt and vinegar please
                              link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                                This morning was the first time we tried going from further out to catch the 'express' bus into the city. Result? I was 20 minutes late into work. No biggie as no one is here to see me (I'm supposed to arrive at 7.30am and almost everyone is still on holiday), but still. I think I'm commuting for more than four hours a day atm. Lovely. Still, at least some of it is walking. Last night I got home at 5.35pm (usual home time: 4.45pm) - can't patch on the bus so will have to stock up on books. Today husband and small boy are coming into the city and will take me home with them. Bliss!
                                Thank the gods for Kindles and Nooks..... you can carry an entire library in the palm of your hand.....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X