No announcement yet.

Healthier_Kathi (AKA PediDoc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest son sent me a text saying he bailed his brother out of jail. He didn't want him to loose his job. Part of me is relieved that he is no longer in lock up (so why can I still not sleep) and part of me is worried about what will he do next (probably why I can't sleep). All of the emotional turmoil has made it difficult to concentrate on anything else. I'm significantly behind on my homework and grading for my students. I had too much wine last night - need to cut back or I will never loose weight. I also slacked off on the Wii and hula hoop, just did not have the energy to face them. On the plus side when I was getting my manicure, we noticed that the deep side to side creases in both my thumb nails were gone. I've had them for years and they were there 4 weeks ago. Not sure what part of primal eating cured them, but it's a nice side effect.
    Female 55
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

Didn't want to get up this morning. Probably because I was up from 2-5 am. Got pork chops and spices in the crock pot for dinner, finishing a cup of coffee, contiplating going back to bed. Working on homework seems overwhelming right now. Next week is packed full when I'm out of town. The following week I'm in a workshop all day Monday- Thursday. Flying home Thursday late, then DH high school friends get in on Friday and stay until Sunday. I've got Monday to recover, then clinic Tuesday, pack Wednesday and fly out again Thursday for 12 days. No wonder I start to feel like I'm on a hamster wheel! I'm getting my paperwork together to apply for a local faculty position. While it means no tuition discount for son, it's offset by no travel for me. Financially it's about even. Keeping fingers crossed!
      Female 55

Comment

I didn't take that nap I wanted yesterday because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Went to sleep like a rock at 10 and up again at 0230. Tried laying there for a while, tried reading a couple of chapters on my kindle and now up catching up on MDA. If I'm needing less sleep, it would be nice to sleep until 5-6 and then wake up. Usually around 6 I can go back to sleep for about 2-3 hours. So I'm getting between 7-8 hours each night. I really can't stay up later, I'm tired by 10, so I'm not sure what the answer is. Trying melatonin - not seeing a difference. Probably will add magnesium again and see if that helps. Stayed primal Saturday, but did not move - I'm in a funk I think. Must snap out of it.
        Female 55

Comment

Your schedule is incredible! You have to give yourself a lot of credit for doing all that you do you do! I'm probably no one to comment on this, but maybe your oldest son will have more luck helping his brother to straighten out than you as a parent. I've seen this with my friends's children. Brothers can smack each other upside the head like no one else can.

I have found with my own journal that is takes a while for people to find you, and as long as you keep posting and moving it up to the top people will read it. There are a lot of lurkers out there, too, which is great because I am sure they are being motivated by our efforts.

Having just come off an incredibly busy time in my own life, I will be sending best wishes your way to not just get through your schedule but to enjoy it and be productive as well. And I will try to do the same!
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Thanks Siobhan! You are probably right about brother "love.". I just hope and pray he starts to think before he does something. He did deactivate his Facebook account, so I'm thinking he is trying to distance himself from bad news friends. I try to give myself credit for all I'm juggling, but there are days it seems to come down to is there something I can eat for dinner and we are out of dog food!

Productive day today. Leftover pork chops with small amount of brown rice - I know but when I'm studying, I seem to need some carbs. Then balanced the checkbook , transcribed a 20 minute taped interview for class this week, and did random assorted chores (such as laundry) getting ready to pack this evening. Packing everything I will need for 11 days in 2 different locations and covering everything I will be doing is a bit daunting. I've packed some protein powder and bars for emergency eating. I notified the workshop (they are providing lunches) that I'm gluten and grain sensitive (thought it was the easiest way to try and get primal food). I've got my lap top, school/work folders, books, thumb drives, and cords packed. Just need to figure out clothing. Looks like rain is a probability, highs from 80-100+, a mix of business casual, casual, and travel easy will be needed. Of course making sure stuff fits (not falling off loose or too tight because I'm not quite there) is always a challenge.

Yesterday I slow roasted a 9.5 pound pork shoulder for my DH's reunion weekend when I get back. Shredded it up and froze it. The first night I plan a taco/nacho/salad bar (there will be plenty of primal choices for me to have a BAS Mexican style). I did make a chocolate cake by request and froze it too. Will be making primal peach cobbler, fruit salad, and egg/bacon breakfast casserole when I get home.

It's times like this that I'm thankful I raised 4 boys, because planning the next few weeks is like planning an invasion-detail, detail, detail. I used to joke that planning a family vacation was like moving a small army. Not only did we have our 6, but usually 2-3 girlfriends and/or friends tagged along too. Okay off to pick out outfits and start packing. I want to be able to watch the next food network star tonight. Can't eat what they cook, but can enjoy the personalities!
            Female 55

Comment

Nine and a half pounds! That is some pork shoulder! Of course you have a lot of people to feed! If I lived near you I would sneak in and have a go, you probably wouldn't notice with the big crowd. I adore roast pork, not too common around here. Obviously I need to roast it myself.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

And you would be welcome to join us. I coat it in garlic, oregano, chili powder, Onion, cumin, vinegar, a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cover well and it cooked for 8 hours. Up at 330 (yea an extra hour), finished packing, leave for airport at 0600. Thru TSA by 715, head for my favorite airport Restaraunt and had eggs, bacon, and salsa. In EP by 930 (got to love the time change) with a quick nap on th plane. At work by 10, hotel by 5, too tired to go out had quesadilla and now I'm ready for bed. Early meeting in the morning!
                Female 55

Comment

Yea, 8 1/2 hours of sleep (and in a hotel bed of all things)! Busy day, couple of meetings, class tonight, and in between homework. Will fuel up with a good breakfast and then use protein drink and bar to make it thru the day. Not ideal, but better than what is available on campus, especially during the summer. Will wear my pedometer again today and do some building laps if it's not clicking away enough steps. Raining here, which would be okay except it makes the 90 degree heat muggy, not dry as usual. Had to take some hits of my inhaler. Note to self if it's raining in EP - pack nebulizer, just in case.
                  Female 55

Comment

6 hours of sleep last night. No waking up, so at least it was solid. Didn't get all accomplished yesterday, kept getting interrupted. Today I'm meeting with students and we are doing a full day of skills. Hopefully will get done early, because I'm sure I will be tired. Eating was okay until I got to hotel, I ordered a hamburger and "sleep" ate 1/2 with bun before my brain kicked in. Note to self, tell them no bun upfront to make sure this doesn't happen again! Off to get ready for a long day. Feeling out of sorts, stalled, and fat....need to get over it and focus on positives. I talked to a good friend who is a psych NP yesterday and she told me with everything I'm juggling, I'm coping remarkably well. I need the last reference letter and I've completed my application for a local (i.e. city I live in) faculty position. Then it's fingers and toes crossed, as it's a tenure/tenure track position, which means less teaching load, more time to do research and write for publication. Also NO travel!! Okay, now I feel more ready to start the day.
                    Female 55

Comment

What a schedule you are maintaining! You inspire me to get off my backside and get some boxes unpacked. Best wishes for that faculty position, I will send positive feelings your way. You are coping very well indeed.

Hey, just develop gluten intolerance and that will take care of any sleep-bun-eating. I get the heebie-jeebies just looking at bread after my last accidental ingestion. (Wheat is murder!)

Comment

Yup, I'm paying for it this morning.
                        Female 55

Comment

I've been quite busy the last couple of days. Ate relatively well, slept at least 6 hours a night. Today I'm meeting youngest son for breakfast, teaching a 8 hour class, then meeting oldest son and DIL for dinner (steak). Packing up the suitcases and heading to Chapel Hill at 0600 tomorrow for a research workshop.
                          Female 55

Comment

Glad you're able to fit in updates even with your schedule! Hope all is going well.

Comment

Thanks Siobhan. Today totally primal. Gluten and grain free seems to be the magic words here. I missed protein this morning. Asked the caterer to get Greek yogurt at least. Other than fatique which I credit to low proteins, I did great!
                              Female 55

Comment

So I am soooo ready to get home tomorrow. Caterer started bringing peeled hard boiled eggs! Said they were such a hit they would be providing from now on (score for PB & protein). Food has been good, but I'm not sure why gluten/grain free equals vegetarian in people's minds? Have stayed true while here, hope to continue.
                                Female 55

Comment

Working...
                                X