No announcement yet.

Healthier_Kathi (AKA PediDoc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like online classes? I have taken a few, and from the student perspective I was surprised that it is pretty much the same amount of work, possibly more work, than a regular class. It is, of course, more convenient as you can do your course work at 3 AM. But I didn't feel I really saved any time. I wonder if the day will come when all courses will be online.

Every time I go back to school, I enjoy it but at the same time I think "Never again!" I keep thinking about going back though, something totally different, study theology or philosophy. (Really practical, huh?) But then I snap back to reality.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I like teaching on-line classes, but it's a lot of work to get the course ready to go. I've spent probably 40 hours making sure everything (learning modules, web links) is updated, putting in quizzes, getting groups, rubrics, and the grade book set up. From a student stand point, if the course is set up well, I like taking on-line courses. If its not set up well, then it's hell, but then again I've had poorly set up face-to-face classes that were hell! I do bring all the students in (they are all NP students who know they can be asked to come to campus up to 3 times a semester) the first week for a face-to-face class. I get good feedback from the students, it cuts down on some of the first week jitters/panic/questions and helps everyone bond. A huge plus for teaching on-line is I don't have to travel to campus for this class again until December and have laptop, therefore I can teach from anywhere! Now the two doctoral classes I teach are face-to-face and once a month, so I travel to campus in September for two days. My co-instructors are teaching the October classes (I'm in Utah for my PhD) and the November classes (I wanted 1 month I didn't travel this year). I've coordinated bringing the NP students back to campus with the weekend I'm teaching in December and winter commencement, which we are strongly encouraged to participate in as faculty. That makes it a 9 day stay, but I think that's easier then multiple short trips!
      Last edited by Pedidoc; 08-27-2012, 03:49 AM.
      Female 55
      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Well as with the rest of this trip yesterday was a fun filled full day. Got to my office a bit after 6 and had coffee and a banana. Meetings, lunch meeting (water, ham, scrambled eggs, green chili, cheese, potato). Needed the carbs. Afternoon meetings - elected chair of graduate studies committee for our department. Discussed how to take meeting minutes with administrative assistant, who is clueless. Met with new faculty for my team and she is a delight. Showed her around and she impressed everyone I introduced her to. I've gone from no programs teaching in someone else's to having developed two of my own and a team of two to now a strong team of five! I am blessed to have a great team that works well together. Several emails back and forth with admin assistant who remained clueless. Meeting with her direct supervisor who is my next in chain of faculty command and she said carry on with expectations ( I think she is ready to throttle the admin assistant - I can't imagine dealing with her day in and day out). More emails with excuses. Finally in response to holding firm a threatening email blaming me for being demanding and bullying and she's going to report me to her direct supervisor (the one who told me to hold firm) and the next faculty level up. Called one up and talked - no worries, will take care of it. It is sooooo frustrating when people expend energy trying to get out of doing something when it's much easier to just do it. Back to hotel 830 pm. Room service - antipasto salad which was cheese, hard salami, olives, on romaine with vinaigrette and wine. Now up and getting ready to go in for teaching 9-4 and dealing with issues. Home tomorrow!
        Last edited by Pedidoc; 08-28-2012, 04:52 AM.
        Female 55

Comment

• holy cow......... I exhausted from just reading about your day!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Kathi, I can't wait to see you featured as a Friday success story and imagine everyone reading about you and jaws dropping everywhere.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Funny, I don't see myself there! Maybe if I drop another 30 pounds.
              Female 55

Comment

• So yesterday I met with my class of 10 PNP (6 acute care and 4 primary care) and 8 FNP students. This is the first time I've got 3 different concentrations in one class and it's a bit overwhelming to us all. They are a great group and we are going to pilot a new clinical evaluation program with them and they seem excited to try it. The saga of the clueless admin assistant continued - I kid you not we are on the 4th attempt to get the meeting minutes right and this is even with detailed lists of corrections from me. I've worked with many people at all levels over the years and I can truely say she is the least qualified, most unwilling to try and learn, and most likely spend more time avoiding doing something right then just doing it person I've run into. Finished up about 430 with students. Met with my faculty mentor (who now happens to be my boss) and wrapped things up in time to have dinner (ribeye Med-rare, 1/2 baked sweet potato with cinnamon, Cesar salad - hold the croutons, wine) with youngest and oldest sons. I've got another hour before I have to really get moving, shower, pack, and get to the airport. Get to sleep in my own bed tonight!
                Female 55

Comment

• I'm home!!!!!. Flight was delayed 2 hours, but I made it. Catching up on mail, unpacking, may start some laundry. Clinic tomorrow and after will pay some bills and finish laundry. Dogs are thrilled to see me. DH is at work and gets home about 11 tonight.
                  Female 55

Comment

• Welcome home You're doing great! Any idea when you might hear something about the job you applied for locally?
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion
                    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm thinking mid-September, if they want to do an interview.
                      Female 55

Comment

• So nice to sleep in your own bed, isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
                          So nice to sleep in your own bed, isn't it?
                          Female 55

Comment

• Clinic wasn't too bad patient wise. I had a FNP and a PA student, both very good. The staff made lunch so I had cheese enchiladas made with corn tortillas and a small serving of rice and beans, so not too good, but I avoided the cake for desert. I picked at dinner, sort of grazed as I was not starved, just mildly hungry and had wine. I've got 1 bottle left in the wine fridg and I'm not buying any when I go to the store today. I'm working my way through 3 loads of laundry (I never got to it the other night). Have briefly looked at the syllabi for my classes that start Tuesday. Other than the fact I have the same instructor who drove me crazy last semester again (why can't she give clear rubrics and directions for what she wants) it doesn't seem too bad. So I should be able to get the papers done for the class I took the incomplete in fairly early in the semester. Got an A in qualitative research I and epidemiology for summer. Started a pork loin seasoned with cumin, garlic, Spanish paprika, salt, pepper in the slow cooker with the temp probe. Got to run errands and pay bills today too.
                            Female 55

Comment

• Pork loin, sweet potato, tomato-cucumber-avocado-goat cheese salad. Yum!
                              Female 55

Comment

• Last night I was back to my sleep a few hours up a few back to sleep routine. Coffee with almond milk this morning. Lunch was the last of my salad from last night. Dinner was a salad of romaine with shredded pork, cheese, sun flower seeds, red bell pepper, onion, and sour cream with wine. Lazy day today. Organized my homework. Tomorrow more laziness and will grade some for my on-line class I'm teaching. Will skin and chop the cantaloupe and mangos I got - easy snacking. Probably will have sweet potato, pork of some sort, and cucumber and onion with balsamic and goat cheese salad for dinner. I down loaded 30 day intro to paleo and plan on following it starting 9/10. I leave for Austin this Wednesday and get home Sunday. I do go to campus the 14-15, but feel I can stay on track for 2 days. Eggs, steak, salad, sweet potato all doable, though I may have some Malbec on the 15th. I really want to move past the 160 barrier!!
                                Female 55

Comment

Working...
                                X