An Experiment to see what improvements can be gained with minimal work-outs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Experiment to see what improvements can be gained with minimal work-outs

I figure this is going to be more of a journal than a fitness thing so hence dumping it here, though I won't scare people by sharing to many of the inner workings of my mind

So life's pretty hectic right now, and while I would happliy do excercise stuff all the time (oh to spend my days surfing, mountain biking, snowboarding, power-kiting, hiking, learning parkour etc etc) I value not pissed of wifey rather highly

So this is what I am now aiming for;

Tuesday: Sprint - all out run max pace till have to stop, when I can breath again, repeat till done 8 runs.

Thusday: Run, I've just started up again. I like running, I really like the exhausted from hard work, but feeling like you've done something good feeling at the end. Last run was my first timed, serious run in ages, did 3 miles in 30 mins, no soreness the next day, mixed surface trail, ran in my skele-toes with no prbs. If I can cont. to improve I want to enter a 10 mile trail run in October

Saturday: LHT, I'm doing the Primal Blueprint Fitness bodyweight excercises. I've got the old version with 5 movements. Currently at:
    43 push-ups max first set, then mid to low 30s, then mid to high 20's 2nd and 3rd sets

Pull-ups; I can do 4 neutral grip pull ups each set, or there abouts, but I keep pulling something in my left arm that I damaged doing a mass wood chopping session for my aging parents, then made worse digging a trench with a mattock in rather tough rock groung/solid rock, so i'm backing off to having my legs on a chair in front of me for a few weeks, I can do 20+ reps each set.

Squats; can do full 50 reps, sometimes do 50 reps holding 16lbs + baby, can even do quite a lot of reps with 36lbs 3 YO till she gets bored.

Overhead press; Feet on ground I can do 3 sets of 20 so time to move up to elevated feet.

Planks; up to foot/hand planks, but arms get tired before abs do, so often do one set at this level on as long as I can on foot/elbow planks 2nd set, same on 3rd.

My goals are to get up to full level on all sets on PBF (IIRC = 3 x 50 push-up, 3 x 12 pull up, 3 x 50 squats, 3 x 12 overhead presses and knee/elbow planks90secs front/45secs each side) and run 10 miles by October

I will also be walking a couple of hours a week at least, often with baby attached for extra work-out and playing whenever the chance arises.

I intend to post up progress, and would be interested to hear others opinions on how effective this will be.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

If my 66 year old husband can drop over thirty pounds without doing any exercise, you'll be successful.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I hope so, we shall see how much I improve, I imgaine I will get quick gains in the running, but previously I have been stuck at a wall from 6 miles.

Probably should add in my stats too, just for completeness.

I'm 5'11, male, 36 (mental age about 14 - farts are still funny) I'm 16st 5lbs, which is 228 lbs, I'm arround 20 - 22% body fat, lean mass is about 193 lbs. I've not dropped any weight on the scales for a bit, but I think I've got leaner, my waist is now down to below 40 inches - YAY, started at 48 inches.

ETA - my start weight was 270 lbs
      Last edited by Tribal Rob; 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM.
      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

So starting this yesterday I did my LHT, today - move slowly, I nice walk round one of the local nature reserves, just under an hour and about 3 miles covered.

Comment

Yesterday was another move (very) slowly day Monday is typically housework day, oh I'm soooo exciting, do tidied, cleaned and hovered for a few hours in the morning. Took the girls to the park in the afternoon, baby in the sling, walking at 3 year old pace, so another hour or move very very slowly.

Today was sprint day again 8 sprints on the nearest playing field, 2 up hill, 6 on the flat. I now have very wet toes from running in skeletoes on early morning dew soaked grass.

Still struggling with where to sprint regually or what shoes to wear? If I sprint on tarmac, like I did last week I wreck the toes on my shoes, so that's out, on the other hand most other places are wet or muddy right now????

In terms of progress, out of breathness seems to be lessening while sprinting and time to recover seems to be shortening, however, I can't go quite as fast on wet grass as I can on dry so it could be this?
          Last edited by Tribal Rob; 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Another hour of walking with baby in sling to make baby sleepy, so that's a good 2 hours already this week.

Observation #1 - toe shoes and mud is very strange feeling
            Observation #3 - Carrying weight (over 16lbs) on your fron't makes stones more pointy

Comment

And some more move slowly, another 40mins walking to make baby sleep again
              I'm really pleased I've got my minimum move slowly in already, not recording it often makes me wonder if I've done enough.

Comment

I think that your workouts are not minimal enough.

I've been doing 5BX, except the cardio part (so really, more like 4BX) twice a week. When I started I could do 8 proper push-ups. Now (a couple of months later) I can do 28 pushups.

That seems minimal enough to me.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Ha maybe I could do less, I do really like working out though, plus I want to run a marathon before I turn 40 so I reckon I need to start doing so kinda cardio work.

I have designed the most minimal work-out for my OH as she hates working out. Using tabata intervals, so 20 seconds on 10 off, x 8. (20 x 2 leg assisted pull ups) x 4 & (20 x wall push-up) x 4, 2 times a week, so 8 mins a week

Comment

So yesterday was the worst food day ever since going primal, I didn't eat a single proper meal or a single vegetable. We had to go out early as the OH was helping a friend with a very stressful situation. So I took the kids to supermaket cafe for breakfast, I a coffe with cream (my second) Small one insisted on a kids lunch box, and had a tummy ache after all the wheat.

Then the stressfull thing went wrong so I had more coffe in the cafe while looking after kids. We were going to a friends house for a brew afterwards, but as it was now nearly lunch time we got some snacks from the supermarket. So my first meal of the day was pork scratching, beef jerky and some a few lemon and corriander cashews, and few salted cashews, oh and 25g of 85% chocolate

We took the kids to ikea om the way home (strange I know but they love it). The orginal plan was to have lunch there, meatballs, yum. Though I have lost the taste for them now so didn't have any - I ate half a meat ball just to check, and tried a bite of chip (fries) spat that out, it tasted foul. Me and OH were frayed with stress of the day, so we fell back on eating high sugar crap at the end of the day (ok it was gluten free crap but it was still crap) Coconut macarrons, chocolate chip cookies. Don't know what it is about being stressed and mentaly exhauseted that does this, but normally my sweet tooth as gone and this stuff would be too much, but it hit the spot last night. We also split a bottle of diet coke (500ml)

Still I managed anothe hour + baby putting to sleep walk covering about 3.5 miles so I'm at about 4 hours walking this week.

Went for my run this morning - same route as last week. Time down to 27 mins for 3 miles, that's a big improvement, I really felt like I was going much faster. I do think losing extra weight is going to make the biggest difference to improving my times.

Comment

Well it's the start of a new week in this experiment.

Reflections on last week, it was stressful and busier than normal, but I got a good 4 hours of move slowly in and completed all my workouts. That was very good.

Run time was good, I'm going to increase distance this week as that is my primary goal, I would like to do my planned 10 mile race in less than 90 mins, so that means running at the same pace I did this wednesday, that seems hard right now. Bur clearly do-able.

Food choices and times were not perfect, as a result I am still not dropping the weight I would like, I'm eating in a reduced window by skipping breakfast every-day, and I did a longer fast till tea time once this week. I'm thinking of making some kind of smoothie to put me on till tea on work-out days and going at least 16 hours between eating between dinner and break-fast then next day on the other 4 days. I also need to buy one bag of nuts that is just for me, eat less froz-berries and cream, and probaly limit myself to 75g of Dark Chocolate a week and see if that helps. Probably need to cut back on 'special stuff' too (this is coconut oil with coco-powder stired in plus any nuts, dried fruit, ground almounds, sometimes honey etc also stried in and frozen till solid, good lord it's tasty). It's been a good month or more since I have seen any weight-loss, if this dosn't work I'm going to have to look serioulsy at other ways to control how much I'm eating - might look at leptin reset?

Overall pleased that I did everything I set out to do when I could have easliy made excuses. Bummed and not dropping weight, infact I've put on a little bit over all, dropped at first in the week, then went back up again.

I think I also need to get the tape measure out and record my size in detail as my OH thinks I'm still losing size, so recording this would probably help.

Comment

OK so back into this week.

LHT today - been feeling a bit under the weather, tired and achy, prob a minor bug, both girls had massive naps yesterday, older one never sleeps in the day and kipped the whole afternoon away, and I could have easily napped too.

Still cracked on with LHT today -
                        press-up numbers were down to maxing out at 35, so a rested and finished off set to 50, same second set, arms like lead, only did 2 rounds.

Pull-up - Still got some soreness in arm so doing 2 leg pulls to keep it moving without hurting.
                        Squat - Still going fine on these, I'd love to add some weight but don't have anything to lift.

Overhead press - 15 with feet on chair, so that's up a level, 2nd set was 9 with feet on window-sill, bit weird being that upside-down, I think I would prefere to use a barbell, though hand-stand push-ups would be cool.

Planks - Did 45 seconds elbow-foot side plank - YAY, hurts now though, can't even dead hang off pull up bar with knees up without much ab soreness. Not happy with normal plank, abs can take it fine, but either arms give out, or lower back muscles hurt loads on arm foot, or elbow foot planks - might need to strenghten lower back muscles, or they may just be a weird shape from too much bike riding in the past.

So good performace overall dispite feeling less than 100%

Went for a walk again this afternoon too, walking through flooded paths, at least skele-toes don't need socks, but rather gritty water not so nice. So that's 1 hour move slowly down too - and a check on the wild rasberries - soon, very soon

Comment

I've been meaning to tell you for a while now that I think your sig line is hilarious.

On the LHT planks, I find that the level 4 ones (feet and forearms) are actually easier than the level 3 (feet and hands). It distributes the weight over your whole forearm with less wrist/elbow stress.

And why did the 5 essential movements become only the 4?

Comment

Hi PB, thanks, I can't take credit for it though, I stole it from some album of funny pics on facebook.

I find that the forearm planks are easier at first too, but they definiatly engage the abs more, and I have quite a bit of extra padding there pulling down

I think the 5 became 4 as the overhead press uses a lot of the same muscles as the press-up, and it can cause injury if not done properly, we seem to live in a world where people don't want to take personal resposibility for their own actions and accept the risk, but sue for compensation as soon as something goes wrong*. I think it was probably removed as the risks of someone complaining/suing outweighed the benifits of the excersise.

I'm gonna carry on though as to be able to do handstand pushups would be awsome, I can't think what purpose it would serve in the real world, but it would definalty make my kids think I am even more awsome so that's important

*A personal bug bear or mine, I once had an accident claim company trying to convince me I could sue someone as I fell of my bike, grabbed a tree to stop myself rolling down a very steep bank and dislocated my shoulder - erm no, my own fault for pushing myself till I went beyond my limits, it's a risk I took, and this time the result was not a little graze, or a bruise but a ride in a nee naaa to hospital, magic gas and being told to stay off the bike for 4 weeks.

Comment

Ok so it's Monday, I've cleaned the house, and just drank my second cup of coffee. I am realising I am waffling more in this journal, but it's helping me to look at how am doing and feeling so I'm gonna carry on. I'm also going to put down what I'm eating to help keep track.

Yesterday I had DOMS, which was nice. Means I must have pushed myself harder than I thought on LHT Saturday, mainly abs, a bit of arms, arround the ribs, lats etc. It's pretty much gone now, still a bit sore in the abs when pushing the hover I'm so manley.

Move slowely yesterday was supermaket shopping, Aldi for main stuff, about and hour, then Sainsbery's for stuff we can't get from aldi. Also mowed the lawns front and back, and strimmed, a couple of hour steady movement there do. I'm not sure how much this stuff counts. If it does it's much nearer the 50% of MHR than the 75% but I was on my feet doing stuff for at leat 3 hours, probably more like 4 all in. I'm gonna say I'm up to 4 hours move slowly this week, 2 hours yesterday for the gardening, as that was definatly work and the hour walk on Saturday and I've done a couple of hours housework.

Food yesterday was; Coffee + Cream for breakfast, Coffe + Cream, 1/4 of tin of pilchards, H/B egg for lunch, Pork belly (about 150 - 200g pre cooked, tons of veggies stir fried with coconut oil on top, then second plate of the veggies with cheese, strawberries, honeydew melon, special stuff & clotted cream for dessert. Then I woke up in the night hungry and couldn't get back to sleep so had to go down and get 3 spoons of peanut butter to put me on till morning. Probably didn't eat enough, but so much for being fat adapted and able to fast. Dosn't look like I'm gonna be able to do a 36 hour fast at the moment, though I might have slept through if the little ones hadn't been so disturbed.

Comment

Working...
                              X