No announcement yet.

A Primal Pregnancy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of tongue-tied and lip-tied, one of the lactation consultants or nurses (can't remember which!) at my hospital told me that midwives used to keep one of their fingernails long and sharp to slice the frenulum of a tongue-tied baby. So, it seems to me that humans have been doing this "surgery" for many years, never letting nature have a chance to remove the gene from our pool...

Comment

• Liquid Gusto, I always wonder if my cravings are right or wrong. I've been allowing myself Primal carbs and a very small amount of non-primal carbs. I still feel lousy. Is it a teething baby waking me at all hours (we co-sleep, but it's still hard to have so much interrupted sleep)? Is it the coffee that I started drinking daily, again? Can I just never get over the 2-3 week slump of when I recommit to Primal eating? Ugh. I just don't know. I'm trying to keep my carbs around 100g until I figure it out.

Aldergirl, I'm happy to hear the Dr/Nurses discovered the tongue-tie early! I think they will eventually come to look for tongue/lip tie as more and more women breastfeed. Interesting about the long fingernail! Ha!
      I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
      CW:166.4 lbs.
      GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

Comment

• Not sure of my weight. I've been in a fog lately. I need some quality sleep. I think being tired is making me crave carbs. I don't know. I can hardly think straight anymore. The good news is baby will be 1 year old on Feb 14th, so the worst is over!
        I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

Comment

• 163.2 lbs this morning. That was a shock (a good one). I haven't been to the gym in 10 days, and I've been eating as many primal carbs as I want. I probably eat 1-2 sweet potatoes and 2-4 pieces of fruit a day, lately (and chocolate, oh, sweet chocolate). And then my weight finally dropped?! Amazing! I know it's just a number...or is it? It's been my life's battle. Sad, really, when I think about that. I tried controlling the numbers, only eating 80 carbs per day and making sure that I wasn't eating too many calories. That stopped working. My body caught on. Now, my body's like, "Woah, it's spring and food is abundant! No need for this extra weight!" At least that's what I think might be going on, anyway. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm still breastfeeding (from a weight-loss perspective). The rules of the game are not the same for me at this time in my life. My body is still 90% sustaining a 23.2 lb. active infant as well as my 163.2 lb self. My body needs calories. My body is made to insure my and my baby's survival...that means not letting go of extra weight if it's amazing programing even senses there may not be enough food for tomorrow. It's still a tricky thing to get around. It's hard to know if I'm just having cravings and I should push through, or if I should listen to my body every time. This time I listened and it's working out. I'll keep updating. For now, I will just be celebrating my lowest weight since having my little one!
          I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• I just read that my 23 lb. 11 month old needs about 1000 calories per day to maintain and grow! Holy cow! That is a lot of calories, since I need to eat about 2,000 calories just to maintain my weight! So, does this mean I am eating 3,000 calories per day when I'm not losing weight (Or around that. She probably eats 100-200 calories of table food per day)? Hmm. I guess I could see me up around that point (especially over the holidays). Maybe adding more fruits and veggies to my diet is the answer to weight loss since they have so few calories (even though they are higher in carbs). I need to work on adding the veggies. I tend to choose meat over veggies, so I need to be aware of that.

So far today (It's 1:30pm), I've eaten:

2 cups of coffee with coconut cream and 1 tsp. coconut sugar
            apple
            banana
            orange
            3 fried eggs
            2 strips of bacon

=815 total calories (I usually count carbs, but this is an experiment).

By 3:40pm

sliced turkey/mayo/tomato/on two lettuce leaves
            1/3 cup of coconut cream/cocoa powder/tsp coconut sugar=350

=1165 total calories

3 eggs
            2 strips of bacon
            orange
            banana

=1665 calories/111 carbs total for the day.

Well, look at that. I went with my cravings and ate a ton of fruit, but still stayed in a good place with calories and carbs. I'll be following my intuition on this one. I think the weight is going to drop significantly this way. We shall see. On a side note, I don't normally eat bacon and eggs 2x per day, but I left our dinner out last night on accident.

Following your wisdom, body!
            Last edited by PrimalJes; 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM.
            I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• I wonder if you weren't getting as many calories as your body felt it needed to produce quality milk, so it was hanging on to the weight as insurance?

I'm not breastfeeding, but I weigh less when I eat primal, but not low carb.

Comment

• Liquid Gusto, I think you might be right. It makes total sense, but I never stopped myself from eating, I would just eat turkey when I really wanted a banana. Maybe my body was like "No, I said banana!"...trial and error. I'll be following my body's cues and eating what I really want. I'm excited to eat so much fruit! Pure happiness. I have come out of my fog, too. I wonder if the lower carb was too low for breastfeeding? Maybe 80 grams while breastfeeding is more like 30 grams not breastfeeding? Who knows.

Interesting about weighing less Primal but not low carb, Liquid Gusto!
                I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• 163 lbs this morning. 2 days away from my first goal. I still have hope that I'll make it. Will I lose a lb in 2 days? Not really, but maybe my body will release fluids it's been hanging onto for insurance. Either way, I will count this as a successful month as I have come back down 9 lbs since January 1st (most of which was lost and then re-lost). Today is my lowest weight since giving birth 11-1/2 months ago. 1/2 lb. under my pre-pregnancy weight. It's only getting better and better from here!
                  I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• 163.4 lbs. I did not meet my weight goal, but the trend is going in the downward direction and I lost 9 lbs. total last month. I will readjust my goals to be more like 1 lb. per week as that seems more doable.

Measurements 6 weeks ago were (just before Christmas):
                    Arm: 11-1/4"
                    Chest: 37-1/2"
                    Waist: 27-1/2"
                    Hips: 37"
                    Thigh: 21-3/4"
                    Weight: 165.2 lbs.

Measurements today are:
                    Arms-11" (1/4" loss)
                    Chest-37-1/2" (same)
                    Waist-27-1/2" (same)
                    Hips-36-1/2" (1/2" loss)
                    Thighs-21-1/2" (1/4" loss)
                    Weight: 163.4 lbs.

Pretty good. I also gained 9 lbs in-between (and had to re-lose it). I have my ipod plugged in so it's charged for the gym later. Need to lose those inches and lbs. I'm determined!

I'm feeling really good now that I've upped the primal carbs! I feel great, actually! Lots of fruit and sweet potatoes and still seem to be losing weight. I haven't left the house much and haven't made it to the gym because of this snowy weather. I will be headed out there tonight! Dinner is already made, so it's easier for me to get out the door once hubby gets home.
                    Last edited by PrimalJes; 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM.
                    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• 162.2 lbs. this morning. Woo hoo! Things are happening. I have given myself permission to eat as much Primal food as I want and have not worried about macronutrients one bit. That leads to weight loss for me, apparently. I eat so much fruit! I have been eating 2-4 bananas, 1-2 oranges, and sometimes an apple...daily! I am thrilled that the scale is moving, again, and all while eating tons of nutrient-dense foods...without worrying about carb counts, calorie counts, etc. I have not been to the gym in two weeks, sadly, but I think my body is benefiting from the break. I'm excited to go back to the gym next week. Going to the gym keeps me feeling good physically and mentally. I am not sleeping as well without it.

Cabin Fever. I am going insane at home with the kiddos. There is supposed to be pretty good weather next week. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the house with them!

I can see you 150s...

Oh, I just realized, tomorrow is my baby girl's first birthday (we celebrated last weekend). One year ago, I weighed 212.4 lbs. Jesus. Happy to say I have lost all of the baby weight plus 1.2 extra lbs. (50.2 lbs total)! Yay! Sweet relief. Now, 14.4 lbs. more until I'm at the weight I was before I had my first baby. 14.4 lbs. seems like nothing compared to 50.2 lbs. Looking forward to saying good-bye to those lbs., as well I'm still so determined!
                      Last edited by PrimalJes; 02-13-2014, 02:14 PM.
                      I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• 161.8 lbs. this morning. Loving this! At this time, exactly one year ago, my baby girl was joining us. What a moment. What a year! So glad she's here, but so glad that 1st year is out of the way. It's killer.
                        I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• I loved reading your journal! You are so upbeat and positive. I am also a breastfeeding mama to a 21 lb 7 month old baby girl. I also have a 3 year old son. I'm struggling with sugar cravings right now, and have stopped losing weight. I need to lose 8 more pounds to be at pre baby weight, and then another 25 ish to be at my goal. You have inspired me to keep at it! My main issue is eating enough quality food. I tend to snack and then I get too hungry and gorge on whatever I can find (usually carby and sugary). One day at a time, I guess! Anyway, thanks for inspiring me!

Comment

• Primalcar, thanks for reading! Hang in there-consistency is key! It took a while for me to figure out how to just "let go" and eat as much as I want, but that's the only way I started to lose weight, again. Breastfeeding makes it a totally different ball game, for sure. It's hard because you just want the weight off and to feel like your normal self again, right?

I just stopped by to say...the one-inch, old-lady sunspot that was on my face is now completely gone thanks to eating Primally!!!!!!!! Unexpected and I'm floored!!!!!
                            Last edited by PrimalJes; 02-19-2014, 07:32 AM.
                            I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• 161.2 lbs. this morning. I'm ecstatic. 9 days to March. I can't wait to get outside with the kids, again! I miss taking them out. I miss the sun on my skin. I miss chatting it up with the other stay at home moms and dads. I miss the walking. I miss the playground, the playgroups, and the coffee shop. I've had my fill of the snow. It was great because it was actually a "real" winter this year. We haven't had one of those in a long time. But, I'm done, now. We can move on into Spring!

Improvements that I've noticed or have been appreciating, lately:

-sun-spot gone!
                              -kp (bumps on upper arms) vastly improved
                              -skin complexion is beautiful. Face has nice pink cheeks, body has some color to it (usually fish-belly white)
                              -hunger is very low (even with unlimited carbs)
                              -mind is sharper
                              -even more optimistic than before (and my head has almost always been with the rainbows and sunshine)
                              -shirts are getting big
                              -feeling even more confident

I'm excited to see where my body wants to naturally go! I have a weight goal in my signature, but I'm happy with whatever my body's set point is...if it's 150 lbs., cool. If it's 125 lbs., cool. My sister is the same height as me, same body type, and she's 115-120 lbs. She's a size 0, but still curvy and beautiful. I don't know if that's where I'm supposed to be or not, but I'm open to it. I would never want to lose my hourglass shape, and I don't want to be walking around like a skeleton or anything. I just want to be whatever weight is healthiest for my body. Even though I have weight goals before I go on vacation...it's just to keep me interested and kind of focused. I had a donut, some pizza, and some beer this week (not usual, but we had lots of company), so it's nice to have my goals in mind to keep me coming back and making good choices. This journal has been really helpful to see how far I've come, too. It allows me to look back when I'm feeling like I'm not making progress. So, yeah, I'm loving this way of eating! I've never felt so good and so alive! I'm so excited to share with people (when they are interested, of course). I'm living for that right now. "Show, then aide" is someone's journal around here. I keep that in my mind constantly when I get discouraged about how loved ones are living. I will win them over with proof!

I may have forgotten to mention that I made a Paleo birthday cake for my little one's first birthday. Everyone LOVED it. It was mostly almond flour, coconut flour, coconut milk, and 70% dark chocolate. Delish!

And...I think I have 11 weeks before our beach vacation? I have to keep that in mind because I will need to order a swimsuit and have it sent in time. I'm thinking one of the cute one-pieces from ModCloth. Love that style!
                              Last edited by PrimalJes; 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM.
                              I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Comment

• Congratulations on all the improvements. That cake sounds so good, did you save the recipe?

I am also very much DONE with the snow! We got 4.5 inches the other day. Yuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X