No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (DashFire)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of you 'sturdy' sized guys are doing really great. Your menu planning seems to be right on the mark -- good planning and great execution. Now just hit the button "Repeat Ad Nauseum!"
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Day 41 - Back at it

Hi all, it's good to be back. Was a rough week and a half. Can't believe I'm at the 6 week mark already. This second month is flying. Down almost 30 pounds overall and holding steady the last few days. Just started reading the exercise chapter in PB and I'm already doing a good bit of that, but want to be more intentional. Need to get some sprinting in there, start YAYOG (you are your own gym) for strength and try to schedule more regular recreational sports, which has tapered off after some early success. And of course, still struggling to get sleep under control and eat enough veggies. All in all though, feeling good and that things are moving along well.

SLEEP
      7 hr, no alarm

FOOD
      B - 3 eggs, spinach, bacon | blueberries & blackberries w/ almonds & coconut milk
      L - 2 bacon burgers w/ havarti cheese, tomato, avocado, mustard
      D - Salmon w/ tomato & apple
      Snacks - carrots, pork rinds, almonds

EXERCISE
      2 hr yard work

OTHER
      Vitamins - N | Sunlight - Y | Cold Shower - N
      My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

You certainly cook up some good looking dishes!
        Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
        CW- 179.8 lbs
        Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
        ~ Abraham Lincoln

Comment

So, I am totally going to steal some of your format ideas. Hope you don't mind!

Also, as someone who has taken the ride from 300+ down to 220 before, it doesn't matter if you think you should notice it, you won't--but other people will. When I was at 225, I still felt fat (largely because I was, but still), but other people were just blown away. Its how it happens. You see yourself every day, so you always look the same. If you don't, you should really take pictures, because you can't argue it then, and it can be a big motivation.

Thirdly..oh my god, those Scotch Primal Eggs look amazing. I had never seen them before. How do you cook them? (I read the recipe, but I'm curious how they actually work out for you.
          SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
          Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by jllundqu View Post
            You certainly cook up some good looking dishes!
            Thanks! Haven't been much in the pic-taking mood the last couple weeks (busy life and a food rut), but will definitely get back to it soon, especially when I start trying more new foods/recipes.

Originally posted by Inksplat View Post
            So, I am totally going to steal some of your format ideas. Hope you don't mind!
            Go for it. I changed my format in the 2nd week after being inspired by someone else's journal, but forget who.

Also, as someone who has taken the ride from 300+ down to 220 before, it doesn't matter if you think you should notice it, you won't--but other people will. When I was at 225, I still felt fat (largely because I was, but still), but other people were just blown away. Its how it happens. You see yourself every day, so you always look the same. If you don't, you should really take pictures, because you can't argue it then, and it can be a big motivation.
            Last week, after more than 20lb, I finally started noticing a little that my face was a bit thinner and some clothes were a bit looser. Though this week I feel like I look bigger again. So maybe my mind is just playing tricks. Even though I've lost 30 pounds, so far, no one has noticed. But honestly that's not a lot of weight off me. Once I'm hitting 50+, pretty sure people will start noticing. Did a beginning pic and wanted to do weekly pics but got lazy. So doing at least monthly.

Thirdly..oh my god, those Scotch Primal Eggs look amazing. I had never seen them before. How do you cook them? (I read the recipe, but I'm curious how they actually work out for you.
            I didn't want to fry them, mainly because it seemed like a waste of oil. I just shaped the raw sausage around the boiled eggs. The hardest part for me was getting the sausage thickness relatively even (which I failed at). Then I sauteed them for a few minutes on each side until they were brown. On a couple the sausage split where it was too thin, but not a huge deal. Then finished them off in the oven (don't remember how long). However, it apparently wasn't long enough because some particularly thick spots of sausage weren't cooked all the way through. But no biggie as I was heating them up in a toaster oven each morning for breakfast, so just left them in a few extra minutes to finish cooking.

Comment

Day 42 - Bad Dog

On July 4th, I had a couple all beef hot dogs from the grill and they tasted great. So I thought, all right, they're all beef, no ingredients I don't recognize, quick easy thing, let's try this again. Except this time I put them in the toaster oven. They were disgusting. Carcinogens or not, grilling just tastes a ton better.

SLEEP
              7 hr, alarm

FOOD
              B - 3 eggs, spinach, bacon, tomato, avocado
              L - Salmon | smoothie (cherries, blackberries, raspberries, egg, lime juice)
              D - 3 hot dogs, white cheddar, tomato
              Snacks - pork rinds, almonds, 90% chocolate

EXERCISE
              30 min walk

OTHER

Comment

Day 43 - Cheesehead

Ever since discovering Black Diamond cheese, I've been on a cheese kick. I bought a lot of it. Turning into an every day thing. I still have a few days worth left. Not good with not eating it. Just want to eat it gone. Been giving it to roommates. Still more. So much cheese. It's like my kryptonite. nom nom.

SLEEP
                7.5 hr, no alarm

FOOD
                B - 3 eggs, spinach, bacon, tomato, cheddar
                L - Salmon, tomato, broccoli, cheddar
                D - Roasted Chicken, Tomato, 90% dark chocolate
                Snacks - Banana, pork rinds, almonds

EXERCISE
                30 min walk

OTHER

Last edited by DashFire; 07-16-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Day 44 - Have Bike, Will Travel (slowly)

Didn't really do lunch today, just had a boiled egg and snacked on fruit throughout the day. We got 10lb ea of Rainier Cherries and Strawberries, plus half a dozen cantaloupe (which I stayed away from). Also road a bike for the first time in probably 11 years. Nine miles was a bit ambitious, kinda sore the next day, but was good. Doubt it will become a regular thing (the bike I have access to is pretty crappy), but may incorporate a couple miles a week while it's nice out.

SLEEP
                  7.5 hr, no alarm

FOOD
                  B - 3 eggs, spinach, salmon, cheddar
                  D - BAS (spinach, chicken, 2 boiled eggs, mushroom, tomato, cucumber, cherries, cheddar, almonds) w/ BV
                  Snacks - Cherries, Strawberries, Boiled Egg

EXERCISE
                  30 min walk

OTHER

Comment

Day 45 - C-Foods

Weird as it sounds, I find myself challenged by "C" foods. It used to be cola, cookies, cake & chips. Now it's cherries, chocolate & cheese. An improvement for sure, but not necessarily meant to be an everyday thing. So after HATING dark chocolate for years, since going primal, I'm all about 85-90% Dark Chocolate -- especially in fruit smoothies. Fortunately almost out of cherries, choc & cheese, then not buying any more this week. Their daily presence is probably not helping my plateaued weight at the moment. Speaking of which, I'm 1/4 of the way to my goal in only 6 weeks. Down 30lb (which has been unchanged for a week) and have 90lb to go.

SLEEP
                    7.5 hr, no alarm

FOOD
                    B - 3 eggs, chicken, mushrooms, cheddar | cherries
                    L - Salmon, veggies & guac
                    D - BAS (spinach, salmon, boiled egg, mushrooms, tomato, cucumber, cherries, cheddar, almonds) w/ BV
                    Snacks - Banana | Smoothie (lime juice, cherries, blackberries, 90% choc)

EXERCISE
                    30 min walk

OTHER

Comment

Me, too. Chocolate and cheese of the chevre type. But I'm not about to give those up, as my chevre logs have very low carbs, and the dark choc takes place of the soda... I'm not ready yet.

Congrats on the bike! Hubby bought me one last year, but I'm just getting around to riding it on my dirt road. A while back you asked if I had a journal - back then, I didn't, but yours and those of a few other posters here on the MDA made me change my mind. If you ever have dead time, you are welcome to come on over for a read and/or chat. Thanks for posting yours - I personally find it inspirational.
                      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Day 46 - BAC Attack

Once upon a time... Boiled Egg, Avocado and Cheddar. That pretty much sums up day 46. The End.

SLEEP
                        7 hr, no alarm

FOOD
                        B - 2 boiled eggs, apple, banana
                        L - Boiled Egg, Avocado, aged cheddar, 90% choc | blueberries, raspberies, almonds & coconut milk
                        D - Boiled Egg, Avocado, aged cheddar, peach, cherries
                        Snacks - Cherries, Chicken, Cucumber, Tomato

EXERCISE
                        30 min walk

OTHER

Comment

Day 47 - Blah blah Heat blah blah

By far my lamest food day in a long time. Just wasn't terribly hungry, and the heat (99F) left me lethargic and unmotivated to fix anything worthwhile. Fortunately Day 48 has cooler weather and deliciousness in store for me. Endeavored to bike to a movie with roomie. The projector was broken when we got there, so ended up just meandering around and biking the lake back. Was nice, except for the heat.

SLEEP
                          7 hr, alarm

FOOD
                          B - Banana
                          L - Smoothie (2 eggs, coconut milk, apricot, cherries, blackberries, 90% choc)
                          D - Tuna, Avocado, Boiled Egg, cheese, Peach
                          Snacks - Pork Rinds, apple, banana

EXERCISE
                          8.2 miles on Bike

OTHER

Comment

Day 48 - And Their Was Much Rejoicing

I've been craving beef for days and finally made it happen. Wanted to do ribs & purple sweet potato chips, but I ended up buying what I think was a standard white sweet potato (or maybe it's a yam). Anyone know? But regardless, they were delicious. Really liked the combo of coconut & palm oil. Gave it a great flavor and wonderful color. Also, this was the first I've used dry rub on anything except lamb in a LONG time. was really good... no sweet bbq sauces for me anymore.

And on Day 48 finally dropped below 310 (weighed in at 308.4), which means I'm 1/4th of the way towards my target weight. Hoping to drop below 300 by August 4th.

SLEEP
                            7 hr, alarm

FOOD
                            B - 3 eggs, spinach, cheese | apple
                            L - Grilled Beef Ribs w/ Dry Rub [top photos ↓] | Sweet Potato? Chips (fried in Coconut & Palm oils) [btm photos ↓]| Raspberries, blueberries, almonds & coconut milk.
                            D - Pork BBQ w/ peppers & onions in bacon butter | Smoothie (cherries, coconut milk, cocoa)
                            Snacks - Cherries

EXERCISE
                            30 min walk

OTHER
                            Vitamins - N | Sunlight - Y | Cold Shower - Y

diptic_1342647610195.jpg

Comment

It looks like a regular potato. Sweet potato tends to be orange... Either way they look delicious!
                              SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                              Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                              Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                              Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                              Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                              Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

Just wanted to do a brief update. The last couple weeks (Days 49-60) have gone well. I'm somewhat in a plateau phase (both with weight and food), but based almost entirely on diet change (with addition of just a bit of recreational exercise) I've dropped ~35 lbs. About 30% of my goal. Of course I know that initial weight was the easy part. Now things get a bit more challenging.

Will do a fuller reflection on the last two months soon. Things have been busy, so still may be some time before I return to daily posting. But wanted to just check in and say I'm still going strong and excited about the weeks ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X