No announcement yet.

Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that was kind of weird. Going to the grocery store and not going in any of the middle aisles (except for TP). I've heard it said that a person would eat best if she only shopped on the outer ring, but I'd never done it before. It was kind of surreal. I kept thinking that I was forgetting something. Now our refrigerator is stuff to the gills and not with chicken for once!

OTOH, it was a bit frustrating to find sausage without corn syrup in it...what the hell does sausage need with corn syrup? Bah. Also could not find full fat yogurt and had to get by with low fat made with 2% milk. Oh well.

We've not moved to organic much of anything yet. There's only so much change we can take on board at the moment. And we're still figuring out the cost of eating this way v. the old way. If we don't get everything perfect at one go, we'll just work on it until we are comfortable.

My Starbucks order has not changed, but his has - no more skinny, caramel lattes for him.

Anyway...for breakfast he fried up some bacon and made a 3 duck egg omelet with cheddar, spinach and mushrooms. I added an 8oz glass of V8 as well. Am still not hungry. Sweet.

That's one thing we didn't have to try to manage - snack foods. I just haven't been snacking and neither has he. It's another nice effect of our shift in eating.
    5' 9" 47 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
    Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

oh and one other thing I noticed. I drank quite a bit of red wine with dinner last night (an old bottle of Four Vines Biker. Sweet.) and didn't wake up with that red wine syndrome I usually have. Bonus!
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Bah, this is annoying. Sore throat 2 days running. Otherwise I feel pretty great. I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway...gigantic breakfast held me until 3 miles into my 5 mile walk when I actually started to feel hungry. That was probably 3:00 or so. Amazing. Before walk I started a new strength training routine doing the big 5 movements, mostly just practicing for form and remembering the movements. I was a pretty hardcore weightlifter for a decade or so and I'm sure it will all come back to me. Here's what I'm planning -

Deadlift w/20 or 25lb dumbbells depending on how my back responds
        Arnold presses - 20lb db
        floor chest press (until I find a bench or a big ball) 20/25lb db
        goblet squat w/25lb db (until I find something heavier)
        carry - carry 20/25lb dbs around the yard

3-5 reps, 3-5 sets depending how I feel. no lifting to failure. What a huge change from my previous lifting routine. But we'll see how it goes. I really want to get a bench though. Chest press is my favorite. I loved doing flyes especially. Feeling that stretch and pressing back up. That was great. Arnold presses are almost as fun.

Anyway...I had very little in the way of carbs today and I'm sure I was in ketosis all day which is what I need right now to get this weight shifted. I think my thighs are smaller than they were earlier in the week, but I'm not measuring until Monday.

Soon I think I shall answer the call of a martini. Bourbon just wouldn't feel right on this throat of mine right now. Even if we just got some Blanton's and I haven't even tasted it yet. Doh! I did smell it though and it's got much more caramel on the nose than our regular bourbons. Anyway, that's my update!
        Last edited by June68; 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM.
        5' 9" 47 YO F
        PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

ah, coffee. how I love thee.

Slept ok, but woke often with cats being pests and my sore throat which is worse than yesterday and now accompanied by a cough. Just what I need. Am sore from the weights, too, but that's not a bad thing. Today I think will be a rest and recoup day. Maybe I can avoid getting sicker.

Last night's dinner -
          pre-dinner vodka martini w/1 onion
          T-bone steak w/grilled asparagus & a big salad of veg + goat cheese, 1 bottle Terry Hoage The 46 2008. Oh how I love The 46.
          5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

I wish cats understood the idea of sleeping in on weekends.

Rest up, hope you feel better soon!
            My Primal Blueprint Journal

Comment

Love the water droplet photo!Nice and dark. Feels like you are standing right there. *bravo*
              Sorry about your sore throat, hot tea, or bourbon, i forget which.
              YAY on feeling smaller - thats always a plus side to eating this way - and like you said your thoughts don't go to the dark side if you happen to pass a McDonalds on the way home, KWIM?

Comment

Thanks cmlloyd, I'm glad you liked it. B&W close ups aren't everyone's cuppa.

and speaking of cuppa, my coffee tastes funny today. I think it's my sinuses and my throat, both of which are still screwed up. Yesterday I did nothing but sit around the yard reading. Mostly the PB and PB cookbooks and sometimes just sitting and listening to an audiobook. Still feel fairly crappy though. Not sure if what I'm feeling is hunger or nausea. I guess the coffee will be the test. I hate when my sense of taste goes all pear-shaped. I was going to do a real workout today, but I think I'll just mow the lawn. Probably have enough energy for that. Oh wait, I just remembered I cut down on the amount of Splenda in the coffee, so that's why it tastes strange. Oy. I think I'm getting stupider.

Yesterday's food went like this -
                B | coffee | buttery duck egg stir with leeks and bacon | 8oz V8 | greek yog w/straw and blueberries
                L | leftover meatza | small salad w/greens, toms, orange pepper, golden beets, goat cheese & cucumber w/EVOO & S&P
                pre-dinner bev | Geyser Peak Sauv Blanc | no munchie/snack
                D | lamb T-bones (3), green beans, Terry Hoage 5 Block cuvee 2007

While making dinner we boiled up 6 eggs, cooked the week's bacon in the oven and also cooked 4 portabella mushrooms to be edible bowls for egg scramble breakfasts.

After that we (hesitantly) began watching a documentary called Fat Head. After a few minutes we settled in happily because it seemed to be going in a direction we liked and while it doesn't exactly jump up and down about no grains, it definitely skewers the anti-sat-fat theory and the idea that lots of carbs are the answer. Here's the trailer. It's streaming free on Netflix, too. Check it out if you have time.

It made me want to go out and get a Big Mac though, so be warned.

Anyway. Coffee is done. Advil is taking effect. Still not hungry though. Will report back later and see how things go.
                5' 9" 47 YO F
                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

I am partial to B&W because anyone can take color photos. B&W you need to have composition as well. I have seen the FatHead video and it's amazing just to see what it did to that guys system.
                  Take the time to get yourself better there will always be time to have your workouts!
                  enjoy your day

Comment

I loved how baffled his doctor was...his face was priceless as he read the scale. And the I don't like what you're proving comment. Funny.

Throat is bad now...and I've got some kind of post-nasal-drip thing going. Ugh. So I ate a piece of bacon and did a light strength work out.

7 mins Turkish get-ups (am switching to 20lb dumbbell)
                    goblet squats (20lb db)
                    arnold presses (20lb db)
                    planks
                    deadlifts (20lb db)
                    floor chest press (20lb dbs)
                    easy stretches - mostly hams and back, I've lost SO MUCH flexibility

then of course, as I bent over to get my shoes, back spasm. Am in the Eames until it passes. Might put the kibosh on mowing the lawn though. bah.

I suppose I should eat though. Am hungry, but lazy.
                    5' 9" 47 YO F
                    PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Finally got hungry enough to do something about it and so won't be needing lunch today!

B | 1 duck egg scramble w/leeks & bacon on top of 1 lg portabella mushroom cap | 2 pork sausage links | 8oz V8 | prepackaged blueberry greek yogurt

Phew! That should set me up until dinner.

Have decided to give the lawn mowing a miss, but am doing a couple loads of laundry. Joy.
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

have been feeling bloaty, sick and sorry for myself all day. It's a phase, but one I hate. After 10 days of this diet my old tight pants are still old and tight. not even a millimeter of change it seems. Now, my brain knows all about the way this works. That it didn't take 2 weeks to put this weight on and it won't take 2 weeks to take it off. I know that my body needs to shift its systems and gene expression to new things. I know that this won't happen overnight, but dammit, that's not very emotionally satisfying. I hope I snap out of it soon. I can't take another day like this.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

You gotta give it more time.
                          I started about the same time you did and thought the scale is moving my pants are still not loose - In fact I walked into Cato's today they have some of the cutest clothes, didn't buy a thing, b/c i know and have faith that I'm going to be clothes shopping out of necessity and not pure want in the near future.
                          I hope your throat gets better go get some rest - laundry is good, call it a day.

Comment

I know, as I said, I get it, but some days are emotionally stark IYKWIM. With all the controversy and newness of this eating plan, I want some indication that it is right for me, but I'm not getting one and have to move forward on faith alone. I'm not good with faith of any kind. I want evidence. I guess I'll just have to wait. It hasn't been that long. Just feels it.

Today is better. I feel better. Sore throat and sinus issues slightly abated. Coughing still the same. Felt well enough to mow the lawn although it always makes me blow my nose a lot.

Slept badly. Was up a lot with coughing. I should have taken NyQuil (Denis Leary is right), but didn't and paid the price. Also kept my husband up and that I feel worse about. So all told I probably got 5-6 hours of broken sleep.

Not hungry for much so had coffee, 1 HBE | 1 strip of bacon | 2 small strawberries as a palate cleanser

Last night's dinner was spinach and leeks sauteed in bacon fat, green beans, whole chicken legs with the skin on!!! Seriously we've NEVER had chicken with skin on. Ever. It was weird and I didn't eat all of it...the skin that is. I'm also not good with bone-in meats in terms of stripping them. I hate gnawing bones even though I like the flavor they impart. It goes for everything; chicken, turkey, steak, lamb, whatever, I'm not good with the bones.

Which brings me to the fat thing. I think I've lost my taste for it. I continue to pick it out of my chicken thighs, off my steak, off my lamb, even off my bacon. It's just gross. I hate the way it feels in my mouth. I hate the way it coats my tongue, gums and teeth. A side effect is that eating it makes me brush my teeth more, which is good, but I still can't deal with how it feels. Which is why I've never liked avocado; slimy bastards.
                            Last edited by June68; 06-12-2012, 07:44 AM.
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

I don't think you necessarily HAVE to eat the fat, as long as you cook with it. Cooking with it allows it to soak into the meat, so you're still getting some benefit from if even if you cut it off after cooking.

CATO... I love CATO. Very nice clothes with a nice price. I'm wearing a Cato shirt today, actually. lol

Kudos on the shopping. it is hard to avoid the center aisles. I found a sausage called Jone's All Natural Fully Cooked mild sausage. It lists sugar in the ingredients, but there is zero sugar impact on the nutrition info. Maybe your grocery will carry it too?

Cough, sinus congestion, post nasal drip... welcome to my last 4 weeks. See a doc before you end up like me - still coughing 4 weeks later with a pulled rib muscle. Ow.

I think you're doing great and you'll reach your goals. I know you said you're having trouble being patient, but something I read here reminds me to be: your body has to heal before you can lose the weight.

Have a better day.
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Progress not perfection. This is going to take time for you to make the transition. Sounds like you have a bit of Fato-phobia going on, lol.
                                But I digress, I am not trying to poke fun. Start off slow. When you sauteed your greens in the bacon fat you could've had just a chicken breast grilled laid over your greens.
                                I like to coat my asparagus in OO and then grill them right next to my steak - or you could take and cook with your fat instead of trying to take in in whole. Try this =
                                Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken Recipe - Food.com - 221743
                                The skin will be nice and crispy when eating the chicken strip the meat in portions, so if you get the leg eat just that portion with it's skin, take the skin and cut it up in your veggies, imagine some broiled zuchini or squash or some steamed spinach on your plate and mix it in for the flavor. Ice water with a wedge of lemon will clense your palate

Comment

Working...
                                X