Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! Congratulations!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Thanks Jenn. I can't wait to go to the gym and do more. lol

Have finally gotten into the woods lately. The snow is deep off trail, but it's so beautiful out there and there's been enough melt that there's really cool ice formations.

5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012
      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• That is super cool. You have a talent for sure. I love how you blur the water!

Comment

• Thanks Jenn. I usually have tools with me to get shots like that. Some filters and a tripod. It's fun to find those leading lines of white.
          5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Iím sticking to the plan but the plan isnít sticking to me

The weight sure is though. Iím trying not to get down about it, but holy shit Iím frustrated. Ever since I put my new plan in place Iíve stuck to it.

Avoid the carb stack - for the past couple weeks my husband hasnít baked any potatoes so theyíve been eliminated. Also havenít bought any fruit or eaten any nuts. I get my carbs from my shakes which include about Ĺ cup frozen berries and my veggies with lunch and dinner. The result? No effect.

Avoid alcohol M-Th - apart from a small pour on like a Tuesday during the first week of the plan Iíve absolutely abstained from booze Monday through Thursday every week. Sometimes it sucks, like when we have a particularly lovely piece of meat, but itís been ok. Husband is also abstaining. The result? No effect on weight, but I seem to sleep better.

Avoid snacking - even when Iím in the woods, which admittedly has been very little until lately, I havenít eaten between meals at all. None. Zip. The result? No effect.

Sigh. I donít know what else to do. Iíve incorporated more walking. Kettlebell swinging. Recovery day workouts. Nothing is changing. It may be too early, but I bet if I were male Iíd be down 10 pounds by now. My husband has lost more than me with just the no booze thing. Itís so frustrating. Iím at a loss.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Overtraining, moi?

After mulling it over for a while and monitoring how I’m feeling these days, I think I might be a victim of overtraining and I need to ratchet something down a notch or two. I’m not blaming my lack of weight loss success on this factor, but after doing some reading, not dropping fat is a symptom of overtraining. The ones that apply to me are -
              • Aches and pains in joints and limbs
              • Bouts of restlessness
              • Bad sleep (but that’s been like, always)
              • No weight loss

Luckily I don’t have all the signs, but I think I’m overtaxing myself, specifically my Central Nervous System. I actually had a deadlift fail on Sunday with my husband. I also lifted to failure the other day with deadlifts (couldn’t lock out my final rep in my final set) so waited a minute and then did one more lift for a total of 5 sets of 4 plus 1 at 245. Just so I wouldn’t obsess over the failure. Yeah, I think that’s a bit much for my CNS.

The thing is, I like lifting and I do it well. It’s the only athletic pursuit that I’ve ever been good at. My enthusiasm runneth over. Like on my push day Tuesday I did 6 or 8 pullups just because I could and when it came to a pull day, I don’t think I could train it effectively because I was tired from doing it on an off day. Bad idea. At least my enthusiasm for lifting isn’t diminished. That’s another sign of overtraining I don’t have. Rather than let it get to that I’m going to change things.

What I have to work with is basically volume, frequency and weight. I want to keep the weight, definitely, because it gives me a charge to lift so much. Frequency, well I could drop a workout day, but I don’t really want to because I only go 3 days a week. That leaves volume; the number of reps and sets I do per exercise. That could go down. So I think instead of the 5x5 goal I’ve been working around, I’ll need to reduce one or the other. The problem is which? Maybe both to begin with. Work with 3 sets of 3 at my present weights until my pain and fatigue stops. That should help get the cortisol and other stress hormones under control. I wish I’d taken my normal resting heart rate because an elevated one is another indication of overtraining. Oh well. Just being out of pain will be a nice thing.

Another thing I probably need to do is upload and deload and vary my sets. Pavel is a big fan of this approach and my husband has also tinkered with it to good effect. It’s mostly pride that gets in my way. Like someone will think I’m going backwards if they see me lifting less than my normal amount. So so stupid. I just need to quit that and focus on what gets me results and keeps me healthy. And like anyone is tracking what I do besides me.

And for the recovery day routine? I’m going to shelve it for now, excepting the joint mobility piece. Maybe I can add it back in when I’m not destroying myself on my lifting days.

So I guess I need to stop being a freak.
              5' 9" 47 YO F
              PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• You can't lift max weights all the time. Most of my work is done in the 65-90% range of my training max (take 10% off 1RM).

On deload weeks, I lift weights little girls can handle. Do I care if someone sees me squatting 150, when I'm capable of 350? Nah. You can't progress with your ego in the way.

Comment

• So right, Mr. A.

Once I started piling on the plates, I have looked with scorn upon my previous lifts. I need to quit that shit.
                  5' 9" 47 YO F
                  PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I have trouble with deload weeks too, June. I want to keep going up and up and up, not down. But I have found them to be beneficial (I hate it when I prove myself wrong). I do one every 8th week or so - when I'm consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                      You can't lift max weights all the time. Most of my work is done in the 65-90% range of my training max (take 10% off 1RM).

On deload weeks, I lift weights little girls can handle. Do I care if someone sees me squatting 150, when I'm capable of 350? Nah. You can't progress with your ego in the way.
                      One of the greatest quotes of all time.

Not saying that in context to you, just because it applies to so many situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                        One of the greatest quotes of all time.

Not saying that in context to you, just because it applies to so many situations.

It took me a really long time to figure this out. Like, decades. You have to get rid of the ego to progress in training.

Don't get me wrong; taking pride in what you can do is awesome, and helpful for motivation. But you also have to be able to back off when needed, or stop a workout before you get hurt, or drop the weight to fix a form issue, or whatever else, and not feel like you're "being a baby" or something.

Comment

• You guys are totally right on the ego thing and while I feel it snapping at my heels from time to time, I don’t always go where it drives me. I know when to stop, when to pull back and how to listen to my body. Just yesterday my left shoulder hurt doing Arnold presses so I didn’t do them. No powering through for me. The earth won’t cease in its orbit if I skip them.

That said, I’m somewhat haphazard about how I exercise. I get into ruts & routines and have a hard time breaking out of them. Total opposite of my husband who has been a bodybuilder since forever and has changed to a strength program over the last couple of years. He formulates everything and employs a number of techniques and alterations in his main lifting program. Keeping it all straight is something I don’t have a lot of patience with. One or at the most two tweaks or alterations in my normal routine is all I can bear in mind. It seems like I’m a simpleton, but I just can’t keep that in my head. A slave to routine, I guess.

I am turning down the volume though. Sunday I limited squats to 3 sets of 4 at 165. I felt good and had excellent depth and control. Doing more on top of everything else is what’s led me to overtrain. Individually I think each lift is within my limits (most of the time), it’s the totality that pushes my CNS into stress mode I think. So tomorrow I will only do 3 sets of deadlifts at whatever rep count is comfortable, keeping the weight at 245. Ditto with everything else.

Hopefully this corrects the symptoms that are making me unhappy. If not, I’ll have to look into something else. Then there’s the variation and deload periods. I think I’m going to have to literally block them out on my calendar/workout log in order to remember and to schedule them regularly. I don’t know exactly more than that; for example will all the lifts be at lesser weight or just some of them? For how many sessions? How much less weight is enough? That will take some research...probably just talking to my extra smart husband, lol. If anyone wants to chime in on that, feel free!
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I thought primal could cure the common cold?

Iíve been sick for almost two weeks. Wicked cold, itís now in my lungs and I cough like I have TB. So between this and a trip to Arizona a couple weeks ago, I havenít been lifting much at all. I have lost weight though (about 7 pounds) and I donít think itís because Iím sick. I eat pretty much exactly as I did before I caught this cold, I drink a little more and Iím exercising even less, so I think itís all down to reduced stress hormones.

During the last week of March I took a break from lifting entirely. My joints, especially my elbows, were very painful and overall I felt pretty crappy. On the advice of my husband I decided to take on an Easy Strength program a la Dan John. He took Pavelís program and tweaked it a bit. My husband said he made terrific gains using it and so Iíve given it a try. I canít say how well itís working though because of the issues with being sick and being on vacation, but Iím trying. The week of April 5th I worked it hard, but since the 9th Iíve only worked out twice. Still can do pull ups though, so all is not lost.

If I could kick this stupid cold though Iíd be happy. Itís amazing how damn tired constant coughing makes a person. And of course no amount of drugs quell it so itís pretty much all the time coughing. Not exactly the ab workout everyone wants, right?

But I think the Easy Strength program will be helpful. Itís a more relaxed, but progressive program of lifting that has only 2 really heavy days in 10. Instead itís lighter, but because you lift almost every day the effort is consistent. The idea is to make the baseline workouts increase in weight over time. Maybe soon when Iím well I can hit it and see how it works for me. So far I enjoy it because it isnít overly taxing. I donít exhaust myself doing it and because some days are only 2 sets of 5 of 4 exercises plus one loaded carry, it takes only Ĺ hour. Pretty refreshing.

Now if I could just kick this cold.
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I have the cold that will not die!

Two steps forward and one step back, thatís been my progress of kicking this stupid bug. Today is worse than yesterday and Iím back to sounding like I have TB. Itís crazy. I donít understand it, but am enduring. What else can I do?

I am lifting, but not crazy amounts and not for long at one time. The Easy Strength program means I can ďcoastĒ and not fall behind. For the last week or ten days Iíve been doing the basic 2 sets of 5 for deadlift, squats and bench press with some pull ups and some loaded carries in for good measure. Although Iím getting a lot of loaded carry action outside of the gym.

Weíre moving. Husband took a job in Wisconsin and he starts Monday. Itís crazy and weíve been throwing away and donating stuff like crazy. The dumpster gets picked up tomorrow and it is pretty full. Weíre leaving Friday to get him settled out there in a rental and to look at real estate. If we donít find anything this week, heíll keep plugging and Iíll fly out there when thereís something that I need to look at.

I donít think the enforced activity has been good for my recovery. The dust!! OMG. My basement is truly a pit. So is the garage. Moving too much just makes me cough. I get winded really easily and I stay winded for a really long time. Iím so frustrated because thereís so much to do.

Leaving my farmer is almost harder than leaving my family. Seriously. I love my farmer. We buy everything from him - beef, chicken, pork, eggs, veggies and lamb. The farm itself is run in a way I can get behind in terms of animal husbandry and land stewardship. The people are great and the products are first rate. Plus I really like the guy. I can hear the cows from my house, too, and thatís kind of cool.

But Iíve read that Wisconsin has the 2nd highest number of organic farms, just behind California. And that the town where my husband will work has a weekly farmerís market, so it shouldnít be too hard to find a new source of pastured meat and eggs and also veggies. Unless all the farms are for cheese.

So it's going to be my last wildflower season in NH for the foreseeable future. I'll make the most of it while I'm here.

5' 9" 47 YO F
                              PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• The cold is still not dead

Life goes on though and boy has mine ever taken a serious detour. A few weeks ago my husband got a call from a recruiter and since he was having a bad work day, he listened to the pitch. He was interested and at 51 recruiters arenít going to be ringing him up for much longer. Five weeks, three interviews and two plane trips later he had the job.

Itís in Wisconsin.

So between packing, dealing with movers, filling a dumpster with old junk, donating, having my cold start all over again, getting husband settled in Wisconsin rental, looking at houses and dealing with trying to sell this one, I haven't been to the gym in a while. I probably will start again this week if this cold doesnít reboot for a third time. Itís the cough I canít shake. I still sound like a walking TB ward. My doctor did some tests and it isnít anything serious, just a really bad cold. Which is kind of worse because you canít fix it like you can bronchitis or strep. Ugh.

Other than dealing with an essentially useless ďrelocation coachĒ, itís been surprisingly smooth. We spent one day in Wisconsin looking at houses we had on a list winnowed from a much larger one. Husbandís new boss recommended the real estate agency he dealt with when he moved from Dallas a year ago. After seeing what we had on the list, which was mid-range in our budget, we went back to the office to see what a little more money could fix.

A lot as it turns out. We found pretty much the perfect house and it doesnít need ANYTHING before we move in apart from an inspection. No Honey-do list. Every other house we viewed would need something major for it to fit our needs. Itís right on a 750-ish acre lake, has plenty of garage and other storage space, high ceilings, a big deck, plenty of rooms for all our stuff and activities (even a gym!), plus a guest room. Walk-in closet & double sinks in the master suite, laundry on the same floor as the bedroom, minimalist landscaping, tons of wildflowers, pocket doors!!

Weíre excited, but Iím still stuck here in our old house dealing with this nasty cold and the complications of moving. Iíve packed something like 40 boxes myself. I hope once I get the final moving estimate that one of the companies can move us quickly. We have a 20-day window in June where that can happen, but if it canít it will be July. Which means after this weekend the next time Iíll see my husband will be in JFK airport for our flight to Brussels at the end of June. I wonít like living apart for that long, but such is life. Now, if I could just stop coughing.
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X