No announcement yet.

Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I've been reading quietly for a while. I am also in the great currently-white-but-kinda-brown-and-icky north (MA). Cutting alcohol back will help lots with your plan, I think. Good luck!
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks for chiming in! I think you're right. It's the booze. Delicious, delicious booze.

And damn are you sick of this yet? OMG I think it will never be spring up here. It was minus 17 when I got up today.

MINUS SEVENTEEN!
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012
      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Yeah, my boogers froze on the way to the car. I'm ready to just head into a snowbank and stay there until spring.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Recovery Day programming

I feel your pain! It's mental weather up here right now. Wicked cold, but hey, at least it hasn't snowed in a couple days.

So...

I just got on the scale and it is not pretty. I gained more weight than I previously thought. Denial is right. Yeah I know some of it is muscle, but 10+ pounds of it is easily fat. Have I ever got my work cut out for me.

Iíve been doing a lot of reading (StrongFirst mostly) and thinking and Iíve decided to put together a recovery day program. No lifting heavy - I still need to recover, but that doesnít mean I should sit around all day either. After thinking about my goal for this activity (conditioning, weight loss) and finding a weak spot (quads, balance) to tackle, Iíve decided on this for starters -

Pistol Squats - doorway assisted to begin - recently it came to my attention that I donít feel squats in my quadriceps at all (I know, weird right?). My squats, while heavy, hit my posterior chain much more, so as a result my quads are comparatively weak. Plus who wants to not be able to do a pistol squat? Those are badass. Thereís a whole training program here that Iím going to use - how to build up to 100 consecutive pistols | StrongFirst

Mobility - I need to be more flexible and loosen up my pelvic girdle (tight hip flexors & some sciatic pain on the left) and pretty much all through my body. Pavel is a big believer in mobility as a way to lift heavier and this is a definite weak area for me. Luckily Iíve got a couple of Pavelís books about joint mobility and stretching. Iíll start with his basic solo program and see where that takes me.

TGUs - because doing these twice a month is not enough! TGUs are so darn good for so many things and so I need to do more. I donít know if I can manage my 16k bell, but if not I have some 25 lb dumbbells and can use one of them until I can manage the bell. I can press 45 lbs so I might be able to use it now. I use a 25 lb bell at the gym.

Swings & cleans - again, I only do these a few times a month and thatís not enough. We have a variety of weights here at home and I can clean and press my 16k bell without difficulty. Iíve got Tracy Reifkindís kettlebell workout book here and I think Iíll try her swing program since she lost a TON of weight using it.

So those are the components. Exactly how Iím going to apply them, volume-wise, I havenít decided yet. Either doing them all together or a split. Not sure. Neither have I decided on reps/sets. Still need to do some research. As soon as I can get access to some dry pavement where I wonít get run over, Iíll think about a sprint program, too. But thatís another day. Maybe the snow will melt by August!
          5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• What are TGUs?
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Sorry. Turkish Get Up. It's an old exercise, but VERY effective. There are a lot of demo vids out there. This is a good one for the basic get up. No low sweep, high bridge, low bridge stuff.

I started doing them with nothing in my hand. Then like a shoe or something, then a 10 lb dumbbell. Now I'm doing them with 25 pounds and think the time is right for me to move up. We'll see. Don't wanna drop it on my face!
              5' 9" 47 YO F
              PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Thanks. That's a bit too complicated for my desires right now. lol

Comment

• So the first week of my new plan is done and so how did I do?

Avoid the carb stack - done. I didn’t eat fruit or nuts all week. I think I slipped potato in a breakfast once, but since there are 2 potatoes left in the fridge, probably not.

Avoid alcohol M-Th - kinda. Finished an open bottle of wine with my husband on Tuesday. It was a 6 ounce pour so I don’t feel too badly about that. The rest of the days were alcohol-free.

Avoid snacking - done. I ate at mealtime only.

Sprinting - alas, there is too much snow unless I drive to the mall parking lot or something, which is an idea that just came to me...but I don’t know if I have enough traction without putting my spikes on my hiking boots. Hm…

Anyway, I had a very good lifting week. Funny though. Most of the time I’m over in a corner of the gym that has a giant rack for squats, deadlifts, hanging/negatives, etc. Nice round bumper plates. Hardly anyone uses it. You can configure it for bench press, but I don’t like the benches over there and so if there’s a flat bench free I go over to the rack weights section which is in the middle. Lots more people there as a rule.

So I warm up on the bench with the bar for a bit, then with 50 pounds on the bar. Just a light set of 5. Take the 25s off, put on the 45s. Just about every head in the gym snapped my way. Eyeballs got big. Is she gonna lift that? No, I’m gonna sit and look at it. Lol. I got 3 offers to spot me in a matter of seconds. I smiled, thanked them, but declined. I’m not lifting to failure so I’m confident in my lifts. Plus I left the clips off the bar ends so I can dump if I have to, but I don’t expect to. I get under the bar and press with my audience watching my every move. Hilarious, but alas no applause.

One guy was really nice and very complimentary. He said it was obviously not my first day at the gym and asked how I got started weight lifting. He laughed when I said I wanted to open my own pickle jars. We chatted for a bit about how women can be strong, too and why should I have to wait for help to put my kayak on my car?

I finished my 5 sets of 2, but when another guy told me that if I had a spotter I could do more reps I had to explain that I was strength training, not body building. I always keep one in the tank. He gave me a funny look. He didn’t get it. I want stronger muscles, not bigger ones. Funny. Now I can’t wait to load the 45s then add more!
                  5' 9" 47 YO F
                  PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Finetuning

So a little adjustment to my squat form has really helped. My lower back is a lot less stressed now and I think Iím ready to go back up to 165 pounds for my next session. Itís impossible watch yourself while you lift (and I havenít gotten to the point where Iím willing to film myself with my phone or whatever), so sometimes itís hard to see where a little change can really help. Thanks to my eagle-eye husband, and his recommendation of a little butt squeeze on the top of each squat, my spinal erectors donít do as much work as before. That little pelvic tilt has put my spine to work supporting my torso like it should be. Iíve been working on that and the straight drop down. I hardly lean forward at all now and my lower back isnít such a misery. Nice.

Am working the hunger today. 6+ hours between lunch and dinner due to husbandís late arrival. Heís the cook and I wonít die. I only hope Iím refueling from my larger than desirable stores. Oy. I put on 2 frigging pounds since I lamented my actual weight the other day. I donít weigh every day, but it was disheartening to see. My head knows that weight fluctuates a lot from day to day and that I shouldnít worry about it, but itís hard. My clothes donít fit that badly and Iím healthy so I should be happy, but Iím not.
                    5' 9" 47 YO F
                    PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I hear ya on the weight. That scale is a jerk.

My low back has been sore. Not HURT and probalby not misaligned, just sore - like the muscles are tired. I've started wearing different shoes to work (boots with a heel - don't shoot me - they're cute), and I think that's got a little bit to do with it, but I also realized I'm working my back muscles, but not my ab muscles - like at all - so my back is stressed. I'm going to start working on a 5 minute plank challenge, but will probably stop at 3 minutes. Who the heck needs (or even wants) to do a 5 minute plank? I'd get bored before I got tired... so, I'm gonna aim for 3. That should be enough to correct the soreness in my back, right?

Comment

• Sorry to hear that. It's my world though. Back hurts all day every day. Doesn't matter what I do, but maybe some of the joint mobility work will help, specifically for the low back and hips. It doesn't keep me from lifting though, luckily. I don't do planks often...about once a week, but I do a few. They don't affect my back one way or another.

Was kind of weak today, so I didn't push it. I wonder if I should eat more carbs the night before I deadlift. Not sure, but it could work to boost glycogen stores.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• In college I had a low of low back pain. Each chiropractor I visited suggested I work on strengthening my abs b/c my back was compensating for poor ab strength, thus tiring the back to the point of fatigue and pain. I had 4 tell me this. I could never understand why crunches were important for keeping my back happy... but I've gotten older and wiser and now I understand.

Comment

• So true! I added some renegade rows to my workout today (pull day) and those should be really great for abdominal strength. Plus I feel really badass when I'm doing them! I don't even know what size bells I used...probably 15 pounders. Didn't want too go to heavy before I figure out the technique. It's all about balance. Crazy. Maybe it will help my back. One can only hope, but I also have spina bifida occulta, so there's always going to be something wrong there.
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• The supercop story was working!

Second week with my plan went well and it's working!

Avoid the carb stack - Success! Not buying fruit means it isn’t here for me to eat and the nuts don’t tempt me either even though they’re right on the shelf. Had potato with breakfast a couple of times, but because we don’t cook as many on the weekend there are fewer leftovers.

Avoid alcohol M-Th - Success! A nice side effect of not boozing it up mid week is that I sleep better. I actually slept like a dead person either Tues or Wed night and that was so great that I’m looking forward to my boozless days rather than regarding them as a hardship or a deprivation. Both my Booker’s bourbon and my Booker syrah are worth the sleeplessness though.

Avoid snacking - Success! I had some long fast periods in there a couple of times and I kept with the program instead of weakening. Yesterday we found some of our favorite salami, so had that and cheese around 3:30 after having only one meal earlier in the day. I don’t think that really counts. lol

Still no sprinting, but I have added some light workouts on my non-lifting days and I broke down at the gym and got on a treadmill for a couple of miles. My feet are WAY out of condition. So sad.

What’s the upshot? I’m down 4 pounds. So it’s working. Woo hoo!

Workout wise it was up and down all week. Was not a deadlifting machine on Thursday. Only managed sets of 3 and the last set, oh that first pull, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to lock it out, but I did and two more. It was hard though. I’m not ready to blame anything specific, I think it was just one of of those days. I'm ready to go back to 165 with squats today though. My form is so much better now.

Swinging a bell makes my low back hurt now and it never did before. It could be that I’m doing it too early in the day and the fluid in my discs is too full. Next time swings come up in rotation, I’ll wait until later to do them and see how I feel. Husband thinks I might be overtraining and that's why my low back is a misery. He might be right. I'll have to make some changes and see.
                              Last edited by June68; 03-08-2015, 07:46 AM.
                              5' 9" 47 YO F
                              PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Not the usual report

Milestone hit!! Woo hoo!!

Who says women canít do pullups? Not me.

I did a whole bunch of them today. Totally unassisted. Just me and my bod. Of course I can only do two at a time before Iím pooped, but give me a few minutes and I can do two more. Then two more. It was wicked fun. I kept going back to do a couple more. I felt like some confetti should fall from the ceiling or something.

I had already done a bunch of negatives and renegade rows when my husband suggested I do some neutral grip pullups with him spotting me. Oh and this is after deadlifting, too, lol. I was pretty pooped but figured what the hell and whaddaya know, I did Ďem. He didn't have to even touch me.

Now I just want to keep doing them. I guess I will every time I go to the gym. With some training I can move onto regular grip pullups, but Iím pretty darn psyched about the neutral grip. Itís easier on my very sore elbow, too.
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X