No announcement yet.

Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if it's "working" for me, but it's breaking up the monotony of running ALL. THE. TIME.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Being bad at math means

I accidentally pulled a 203 lb deadlift.

Lol.

I thought it was 183 which is pretty close to what I was working with, but my usual gym is closed because of some burst pipes and the substitute gym has different plates. After the lift I was kind of light headed, which usually happens when it's a tough one and so then I looked at the plates again and laughed. No wonder I was dizzy!
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012
      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Nice (accidental) job!! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Thanks. Accidentally on purpose...never thought that would be a training technique. lol

Yesterday I was sore from it and the rest of my workout, but still got out and climbed around in Chesterfield Gorge -

5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Lifting - heavy weight, personal best

Wow. It's been ages since I've posted here and it's kind of like a ghost town. Oh well.

Just want to get this down somewhere for posterity. After slacking off all summer, I hit the gym hard in October and began training 3X per week. Started out with -

Deadlift
            Benchpress
            Arnold Press
            Loaded carries (farmer, rack & waiter)
            Squat
            Kettlebell swings (which now kill my wrist so I have stopped for a bit)

Added -
            Pull up (assisted)
            Bent rows (dumbbell)
            Turkish get-ups
            Sled (pushing) - I don't know how many feet the strip of astroturf is, but damn it seems long sometimes.

Since I haven't been assiduous about recording my progress, all I have is a Q1 2014 to Now comparison. Pretty much all the progress is since October, really since I was lifting about the same when I got back on the wagon.

Squat
            95 lbs >>>>> to 145 lbs (5x5) +50 lbs
            Deadlift
            166 lbs >>>> to 225 lbs (5x2) +59 lbs
            Bench
            95 lbs >>>>> to 115 lbs (5x5) +20 lbs
            Arnold press
            25 lbs >>>>> to 35 lbs (5x5) +10 lbs
            Sled
            215 lbs >>>> to 370 lbs (3x2) + 155 lbs

Bent rows are at 50 lb dumbbells 5x5
            Pull ups are with -40 lbs 5x5

Rack and farmer carries with 44lb kettlebells, waiter with 34lb kb.
            TGUs with 20lb kb.

Anyway, I hope anyone who reads this is doing well and staying positive with their whole foods diet and workouts with the heavy stuff.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• HIIIIIIII!!!! Sounds like you're still rockin it! Nicely done!

Comment

• Thanks Jenn.

Since I posted that I've upped my Arnold press to 5x4/5 with 40lbs and I piled 410lbs on the sled yesterday and pushed it up and back 4x before I decided I was pooped. And my bench without a spotter is with 120lbs, I can safely do 5x4 reps. Instead of pull ups, I'm doing negatives to improve my strength at the top of the pull. So. Much. Harder.

It's been an interesting experience lifting this way after years of traditional high rep/lower weight lifting. I NEVER thought I'd be this strong. At my peak of lifting in my 30s I picked up the 45lb dumbbells for chest press and that was my limit. Now I practically warm up with them. No not really...

The other day I bought two 40lb boxes of cat litter (got two new cuties after losing my big Larry this summer) and hand carried them to the register. The woman there said 'woman power!' and thought it was great. Then a guy asked if I needed a cart to get them to the car. Did you not see me carry them through the store? I think I can make it to the car. lol
                5' 9" 47 YO F
                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I like to hoss big bags of dog food and stuff onto the belt to show off how strong I am. lol

My husband was impressed once this last summer when I carried a gear for his race car (easily 70 lbs) from the back of the race car back up into the trailer (about 50 yards). They use a 2-wheel cart. I deadlifted it and farmer carried it into the trailer. It didn't seem heavy to me at all. At that point, I was deadlifting 175, so a 70 lb gear was nothing.

I'm rebuilding now - I took too much time off, but I'm getting it back quickly and I'm excited about it. I can't wait to progress even further.

Comment

• That's a darn good carry! I think you'll do fine on the rebuild.

I do the same thing in the pet store and people look at me like I'm nuts. Just heave the bag on my shoulder and walk around.

Did the most deadlifting I've ever done today - 5 sets of 4 at 225. I have to say that using chalk really helps. That and a very slight reset at the bottom to make sure my butt doesn't come up first.
                    5' 9" 47 YO F
                    PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Today I hit my personal best deadlift session ever 5 sets of 5 at 225. I felt good, strong and totally on top of my game. Someone told me it was badass. After that confidence booster, I did 5 sets of 4 bent rows with 60 lb dumbbells. Then some negatives, one-arm kettlebell swings and some Turkish get-ups. On the way home I felt like I was high. Endorphins, baby, yeah!

Then I had to laugh. So many people in my gym seem to stand around and talk or play with their phones. Then they go do some curls or some calf raises or something else semi-useless and easy. No one seems to work. No wonder they seem to hate it. They don’t get those lovely chemicals going. I felt so good when I got home I shoveled my back deck before having lunch. I feel sorry for those people who go to the gym, but don’t enjoy it. If they worked harder, maybe they’d feel better.
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• It probably looks like I'm spending a lot of time on my phone when I'm at the gym, but I use my phone to keep track of what I'm supposed to be doing and what I did. I use fitocracy to keep track of what I did, and have saved the pdf from strstd.com on my phone that has my routine on it. I'm sure it looks like I'm constantly checking facebook or something. lol

Great PR by the way. My max right now is 145. Thursday is 150... eek!

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
                          Today I hit my personal best deadlift session ever 5 sets of 5 at 225. I felt good, strong and totally on top of my game. Someone told me it was badass. After that confidence booster, I did 5 sets of 4 bent rows with 60 lb dumbbells. Then some negatives, one-arm kettlebell swings and some Turkish get-ups. On the way home I felt like I was high. Endorphins, baby, yeah!

Then I had to laugh. So many people in my gym seem to stand around and talk or play with their phones. Then they go do some curls or some calf raises or something else semi-useless and easy. No one seems to work. No wonder they seem to hate it. They don’t get those lovely chemicals going. I felt so good when I got home I shoveled my back deck before having lunch. I feel sorry for those people who go to the gym, but don’t enjoy it. If they worked harder, maybe they’d feel better.
                          That is awesome work! Do you pull conventional or sumo? Double overhand or mixed grip? I'm going to subscribe here because I love when women talk lifting!! 💪💪👍👍😊😊

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Welcome edennperez1 !

Conventional, mixed grip. I try to switch my grip with each hand for each set, but sometimes I forget. When I first went reasonably heavy, 185 I think, I really needed to change to this technique. When I went to 225 I needed chalk. DL's have made me so strong in other lifts that I can't believe more people don't do them.

Are you a deadlifter, too?
                            Last edited by June68; 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM.
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• People tend to do deadlifts incorrectly and get hurt, and then they label deadlifts as bad (rather than their form) and never do them again.

I vary my stance. Sometimes I have a wide leg "sumo" stance, other times I'm more closed. I do a mixed grip too - but never thought to alternate which grip I used with each set before. Good idea!

Comment

• Oh that's so true, Jenn. Form is so key to DLs. If I feel it in my lower back, I know I'm rounding and probably lifting my butt first. Bad. That's when I slow down and reset for the next pull. I pretty much follow the Andy Bolton form and keep his book handy just to remind myself. After all, if a guy can pull 1200 pounds, I can probably learn something from him.

The other day my husband and I watched a guy trying to do deadlifts with 65 pounds. It was painful to watch; almost every part of his form was wrong, feet, grip, back position. We almost said something to him, but it's like going to the animal shelter - you can't save them all. Eventually the guy will put weight on the bar and hurt himself and he'll be done. Meanwhile, he watches me DL every week and never asks me how I do it.
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X