X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing this back from pages ago...
    Originally posted by June68 View Post
    Women, Weights and Strength Training
    I remember once, just before I stopped lifting, I was out with my co-workers at a restaurant after work. It was summer and I had on a short-sleeved shirt. One guy kept looking at me. Sure he saw me every day, but it took a couple beers in him to ask me to flex my biceps at him. I did. He was floored (had me some great guns for a while) and wouldn’t arm wrestle me after that even though he’d most likely have won. It was hilarious.
    This has happened to me, more than once. It cracks me up every time. I just read through most of your journal, and I really love your attitude about food, exercise, womanlyness, and all the rest. I tapped out of the forums for a long time due to the level of freak-out and arguing among various paleo/primal/leptin/etc camps. I was saturated on knowledge and couldn't handle any more.

I saw a quote by Nate Miyaki on Twitter the other day that sums things up nicely, "When you can start discarding the useless more than acquiring the new, I think that's when you've reached a true understanding of something." Seems like your're about there with this WOE.
    My Primal Journal

Comment

• Thanks Becka. I can't believe anyone reads this.

It seems everyone goes through similar phases with anything this life-changing. Info-overload is part of it I think. So is wanting everyone to know...everyone must know the truth and share in my epiphany! It's crazy, but I think I'm over it.

Anyway, so husband and I are going to California in a couple weeks and I'm at that awkward phase where my fat-pants don't fit me anymore, but I don't have much else. Then I remembered a 3rd closet and found 3 pairs of pants that do fit (and one that's sadly too big now). Woo hoo! I don't think I'll look ridiculous. Phew.

Now my problem is this - I need a new belt. Ugh. I can't really justify buying one because at this rate, it will just be too big and a waste of $$. None of the belts I do have really match (too dressy...from my Brooks Brothers years) and the casual ones are still way too small. Bah. Maybe there will be some on sale. I'd like to pick up a new pair of semi-nice sandals for this trip and at this time of year, maybe I can find some that don't cost the earth.

oh the awkward phases of weight loss. lol.
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012
      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• I just buy my belts at Walmart. Plain black matte finish belt is about $4.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I'm sure I can find a cheap one, somewhere. Good idea. No reason it has to be fancy.

Today I fasted. Sort of. I had coffee with heavy cream and a few macadamia nuts this morning, then I went for a walk in the woods. When I got home I didn't feel like making anything. You know when you can't decide what to eat...so I ended up not eating anything. Apart from the hunger pangs, it was fine. It's amazing how non-debilitating hunger is now. Sure, the pangs are annoying, but they go away after a while. So I didn't eat until about 4 when I knew I had to have something because while writing a couple of book reviews I made more spelling errors than normal. Off. The. Charts. Stoopid. So I ate. Mostly fat and protein. Now I'm having some bourbon to give my liver something new to play with. Still it was exciting (in a weird way) to know I was burning my own backfat today.

Now we're in for a hell of a storm and I've downloaded some Lovecraft onto my Nook so I'm going to get to it.
          5' 9" 47 YO F
          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• My husband participated in a powerlifting event today (he came in first for bench press in his age/weight group) and I ventured into the locker room to find the scale. I'm down to 165 lbs in clothes.

Wow.

15 pounds in 3 months.

By eating bacon. And butter. And salami.

OMG.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
              My husband participated in a powerlifting event today (he came in first for bench press in his age/weight group) and I ventured into the locker room to find the scale. I'm down to 165 lbs in clothes.

Wow.

15 pounds in 3 months.

OMG.
              Awesome isn't it??? I've lost almost 10lbs in 2 months, eating bacon and eggs EVERY DAY... and having coffee WITH CREAM... and yeah, all that stuff I used to believe would make me put on weight like nobody's business. I'm now the lightest I've been in about 4 years eating in a way I NEVER thought possible!!

Comment

• It is. I can hardly believe it's working. But my clothes and the scales don't lie. Hm. Who would have thought I'd find a way to lose fat, not starve, not kill myself with exercise and feel great? I'm quietly hopeful that I can get comfortably down to a nice, lean bodyweight and stay there.

Today I could swing the bell for 15 minutes before my wrist started to hurt, so that's improving. Then I walked 5 miles and had bacon and eggs. Oh I'm so malnourished and deprived. Yep, that's me.
                5' 9" 47 YO F
                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
                  My husband participated in a powerlifting event today (he came in first for bench press in his age/weight group) and I ventured into the locker room to find the scale. I'm down to 165 lbs in clothes.

Wow.

15 pounds in 3 months.

OMG.
                  Amazing how it works! I am so unbelievably stunned that this is working so well. I'm down to 186 as of yesterday morning. Just like you - by eating bacon, and butter, and ribeyes! I love it. I'm eating foods I love and always had to avoid before because they'd throw of my calorie counts/fat goals. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how calories don't really matter and how those foods make me HEALTHIER than avoiding them did!! LOVE IT!

Comment

• Congratulations, by the way.

Comment

• Hey thanks.
                      It's almost like a dream. I'm afraid to obsess too much and so I just keep doing what works.
                      congrats right back atcha.
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• So here's a few shots from the powerlifting meet this past weekend. Husband didn't win for this lift, but he did win for bench press (which is a much more boring shot than these). The weight is a few pounds over 400.

He's the lightest I've ever known him - 178lbs. As an ectomorph, he has to work hard to put on any muscle, but he's been a body builder for 25 years so it's there now. At the beginning of June (when we went primal) he was about 200lbs. Obviously, he lost fat, but nothing else....the hair's been long gone!
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• NICE! 400 lbs is amazing!

Please, define ectomorph... I'd google it, but I'm afraid of what I'll find. lol

Comment

• thanks jenn. he's been working on deadlifts for a while now and getting stronger. He can to pullups like a madman, too.

anyway, endomorph is pretty google-safe I think. basically there are 3 main body types; endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph. an ecto usually has a light skeletal system (hubby's wrists are barely bigger than mine), slender/wiry muscles, little bodyfat and they are usually hard gainers, meaning putting on muscle is tough and so is fat. endos are round and soft and have it easy putting on fat, muscles are usually also soft, but they build easier than ectos. mesos (that's me) usually have square, wide skeletons and musculature, heavier more bulky muscles and put on more muscle easy, but we lay down fat pretty well, too. of course you can cross the streams and be a bit of each, but that's the big three.

ecto - long, thin, light bones, hard to gain muscle or fat
                            endo - round, soft, easy to gain fat, not as hard to gain muscle as ectos
                            meso - square, broad, heavy muscles and bones, easy muscle gainer and pretty easy fat padder
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I'm definitely a meso... I have a large frame, a LOT of muscle (especially in the legs, but upper body is pretty strong too) and I can put on the fat like I'm putting on a coat! I'll have to research that some more and see how to manipulate it to work in my favor.

Comment

• It's strange how recognizable my family's shape is sometimes. I'm built like my dad - big muscles in the arms and legs. I'm taller, but I take after him. So does my brother, who is taller still. In early June I went to see his daughter (my niece) perform in a dance recital. She's 7. I'm kind of far back in the main theater seats and out come the little girls; all dressed, coiffed and made-up alike. I pick out Anna just by her build. She's tall and has well developed shoulders, biceps, hams and quads. Just like auntie, grandpa and dad. Funny. Mesos to the end.

Anyway...fall is upon us here in New England...well it's feeling that way lately and so I've been scouting my closets pending the change of wardrobe. What's amazed me most is that a lot of my old clothes fit now. Things that haven't in a few season-changes (like 6 or 7) now fit, and even things that kind of fit a while back are too big. It's amazing what 15 pounds will do for a girl's attitude. I've also been figuring out what to bring on our trip to California next week. Paint me astounded when I can wear some less than totally casual clothes and look good in them. This will be the first trip in YEARS that won't include my size large Gramichi, elastic waist pants. Seriously. I'm over the moon happy about what's happening to my body and by extension, my attitude and emotions. I actually feel self-confidence returning, something I've been critically short of since about 2006.

On top of that nothing hurts.

That's a big deal. Pain, daily and pretty intense pain, has been part of my life for ages. Ibuprofen was a macro-nutrient. Mostly my back; upper and lower and occasional other stuff like sciatic joints, Achilles tendons, knees and head also give me trouble. This last week or so has been substantially lower in the pain department. That's not to say it's gone (I can feel my rhomboids right now), but it's lessened. Non-acute. Which also translates into better attitude, outlook and well-being. I don't know to what I should attribute this, probably just a sum of all the positive changes in diet and exercise, but I love it. I can actually load and unload the dishwasher without cringing or having to grab the counter for support. Wow.

Sleep has been a tad better in the last few nights. Less middle-of-the-night awake time. Food has been similar, but with less fruit and vegges, more fat. Trying to keep a calorie gap between what I eat and what I need to run, but I'm not being mental about it and I'm certainly not measuring. All in all, things are pretty good.
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X