No announcement yet.

Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At first I thought you were saying you have a hired cook, then I remembered your husband does all the cooking. lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Eeek, no, it is hubby who does most of the cooking, although this WOE is forcing me to learn! oh noes!!!

Anyway, here's something I wrote this morning. It's been brewing for a bit.

The Power of Hope

As I said in my intro post, I have always been reasonably active. Some periods were more so than others, but I’ve always walked in the woods, hiked mountains and similar activities. The one that gave me a lot of pleasure got jettisoned though and that’s pretty sad. It was weight training, btw. The others stuck because they give me pleasure in other ways, like getting outside into nature and that’s where my camera and I like to be.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the Primal/Paleo way of life and a lot of the anecdotal information has been just as valuable as the scientific. Mostly that it seems so many people, men and women both, have become healthier and lost weight this way. It gives me hope. And hope, my friends, is the key.

In an effort to get back into my headspace of a few years ago, I sought out my now no-longer-published blog. All the entries are still there so I read some. In 2003-2005 I was still pretty gung-ho about fitness. I went to the gym daily and my husband and I followed the CW diet of low-fat, low-calorie and limited junk food. I won’t say low-carb, although we did a bit of that as well.

Inevitably though, it failed, and around 2006 my confidence started to falter. I had a few non-lifting related injuries that kept me out of the weightroom and literally off my feet. The weight piled on. My clothes didn’t fit. I became upset. I think I even became depressed. I renewed my efforts as soon as I physically could. Things did not improve. I starved myself; keeping to 1500 calories a day. I went to the gym twice a day; upping both cardio and weights. I tracked, I counted, I weighed. Mostly though, I starved. I found a blog post where I said I was literally hungry 20 hours a day. Even though I ate frequently to supposedly stop the starvation response, none of my food satisfied me and now I know, none of it nourished me or fueled me either. My exercise did not expend my calories and I put on more weight. I thought that’s all it took. I thought my failure was my fault.

Finally, crushed under the weight of my despair, I stopped exercising altogether. What was the point of it? Why waste my time? I put on a bit more weight, but eventually settled at a mortifying 180 pounds or so. This was 2007-8. Many people say they don’t believe I weigh that much, but the docs’ scales don’t lie (see two regularly and their measurements jibe). Still, I was unable to reverse the humiliation of seeing and hearing the THUNK of the 150lb weight slide over into its slot on the scale. I’ve often said I could go on a concentration camp diet and not lose a pound. My husband, on the other hand, can stop eating yogurt for a month and drop 20 pounds. He actually did that and worried his doctor something fierce.

Anyway, when he started talking to me about the Primal diet a while back, a little research was all it took to reignite my hope. Suddenly it seems possible for me to regain my old body. Suddenly it seems that exercising won’t be futile. Suddenly strength training seems worthwhile again. I can’t tell you how much this means to me. Even though I haven’t yet seen any dramatic improvements in my size, I am hopeful that I will. Sometimes when I’m reading something about the bio-mechanics or chemistry of metabolism, weight loss, weight gain or such, I feel that I could tear up if I let myself. I feel for the first time in many years that I might regain control of my body and stop being at the mercy of fate/old age/slow metabolism/whatever BS reason to which I attributed my physical state.

The hope I feel is like that layer of air that keeps the table hockey puck up and moving. It floats me along, easing my mental and emotional anguish. It permeates my slackness and gets me moving. Now I want to go do 5 or 6 miles of walking even more than I did before. Now I want to swing a kettlebell. Now I want to do jump rope sprints. Now I want to lift weights and try for a pull up someday. Now I don’t have the least desire to eat the CW way. Now I hope.
      Last edited by June68; 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM. Reason: punctuation, doh!
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012
      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Great post! I felt the same way when I stumbled upon the PB for the first time. Ok, make that the 3rd time. The first couple of times I was overwhelmed and felt that giving up grains was too daunting of a task. Guess I wasn't there yet.

I'm glad you're finding your way and enjoying the journey. I know you'll see the results you wish to see. It just takes time and (less) discipline.

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
          Oh and my husband sent me this today - Not All Calories Equal, Study Comparing 3 Diets Shows - WSJ.com

It might not be perfect, but at least people are starting to look and reconsider.
          I saw that too! And I was actually really pleased to see that Mark Bittman (who I feel like is one of the main faces of "nutrition" and sustainable food advice) seemed at least SLIGHTLY receptive to the idea that grains aren't great.

Comment

• I liked that he flat out said low-fat doesn't work and that low-carb is the way to go. I posted those two paragraphs on Facebook and tagged the article.

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
              The hope I feel is like that layer of air that keeps the table hockey puck up and moving. It floats me along, easing my mental and emotional anguish. It permeates my slackness and gets me moving. Now I want to go do 5 or 6 miles of walking even more than I did before. Now I want to swing a kettlebell. Now I want to do jump rope sprints. Now I want to lift weights and try for a pull up someday. Now I donít have the least desire to eat the CW way. Now I hope.
              It's all right there people! Summed up with precise perfection like an Angel food cake made with bacon.

We can have our cake and eat it too. My proverbial cake is the WANT to exercise again.
              Good good write up sista!

Comment

• Hey thanks girl, I'm glad you liked it. Sometimes I have these thoughts brewing and they turn into an essay. : )

I made it to dinner without snacking. Was hungry, but so what...that's just an indicator that I should eat and it was time so -
                D | 1 split chicken breast | 1c cauliflower sauteed with bacon | a few bites of beet greens | chardonnay

Today I mowed the lawn and that oughta count as exercise; moving slowly and pushing/pulling a heavy thing occasionally (we have a couple hilly parts where I have to make weird turns).

B | 2 hen egg scramble w/mushrooms, green onion & homemade chorizo (sp?) | 2 strips bacon | 8oz V8

Now I'm heading to get my car inspected. I'm late. Yikes. But the real dilemma is which book to bring with me.

Also processed a shot of one of my favorite flowers ever - indian pipe. I did a study of them last year, but never found any as intensely pink as these. Plus it was on my birthday so it was like nature's present to me.

later, peeps!

ETA
                L | biggish salad w/beets and steak...two of my favorite things! | cheese

Car is all registered and I'm thinking of going to a swamp tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. Does that make me weird?
                Last edited by June68; 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM.
                5' 9" 47 YO F
                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I am reading The Event I forget the author but its fictional - and a freaky Xfiles type book.
                  pretty picture

David Lynn Golemon
                  it's a series this is the 1st in the series I'll let you know how it is - between Sociology's reflection paper and this lol
                  Last edited by cmlloyd; 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• I ended up bringing The Last Policeman by Ben Winters because I like the story and because I need to review it soon. Today I'm reading more of Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas and it's absolutely great. She cites tons of research throughout the book and once I get through it, I'll do some internet searches on those studies to see what the consensus seems to be in re their conclusions, methodology and data sets. So far it seems credible and reasonable; she writes from a position of caution and critical thinking that I think keep her from being one of the paleo/primal 'heavies'. She's not preaching a doctrine, she's advising about health and nutrition in a less-rigid way than many seem to. I'm inclined to give copies to people for Christmas this year.

Anyway, on to yesterday.

D | leftover ground beef, tomato, pepper & onion ragu over spaghetti squash (this stuff makes for great freezer meals) | 07 Four Vines Loco (tempranillo)

Slept pretty well. Supplemented with a melatonin just to make sure I did. Over long periods though, melatonin seems to make me more jumpy, fidgety and awake, so I only use it a couple times a week. Woke just before six planning to go to the swamp, but rain moved in pretty fast and I sat home with coffee and the internet instead.

B | 2 hen eggs fried in butter & bacon fat | 3 bacon strips | 1 sauteed mushroom | 8oz V8 (which funnily enough, Mark declared Primal yesterday, lol) | 1+ cup berries
                    S | 1 small nectarine because it smelled so good and was so ripe and delicious looking I couldn't resist
                    L | 1 italian sausage | all veg salad | 1 HBE | cheese | 5 macadamia nuts

Today is raring up to be a scorcher and so I've shut all windows and blinds and got in my Vitamin D treatment before it got out of hand. Will pick up husband from airport later and that will be good. I miss the big, bald man.
                    Last edited by June68; 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM. Reason: lunch
                    5' 9" 47 YO F
                    PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• A good day so far today. Grocery shopping cost was the lowest in a while. Bought Stevia and have ditched Splenda.

B | coffee x2 | 2 hen eggs fried | 2 bacon strips
                      BR/S | blueberries w/about 2 Tbsp plain full-fat yogurt
                      L | tuna salad from the PB quick meals book | 1 HBE | 5 macadamia nuts

Hit up a local farmers' market just to scope things out. Bought some kale and some soap. Met some goats and will visit next week for their cheese (which is aging, cannot sell raw, un-aged cheese here without special licensing) and possibly yogurt. Also found a source for what looks like some nice young lettuces and greens for when we finish what we have. Am going to try to hit another local market next week just to see and supplement.

Now am listening to some Spiritual Beggars and cleaning up the house for a dinner guest. She's in charge of bringing veggies so I hope she finds something good. I think the ribeyes we bought today will be well received!
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Last night was pretty fun. Ate a lot, laughed a lot and drank a lot. Slept pretty well although fewer hours than usual since we went to bed later. Before all that got started my husband gave a kettlebell swing lesson and so we all did some swings in the heat. Because Amber was new to it (but an athletic woman) she used my bell and I used my hubby's 20kg bell. Woah...that was work to get that thing swinging. Damn! My butt did not thank me, but it was good all the same

PDD - 10 Terry Hoage The Gap cuvee blanc
                        D | grilled ribeye steaks | grilled summer squash, zucchini, onion and portabella mushroom | 08 TH The Hedge syrah | 08 TH The 46 grenache-syrah

Today so far
                        coffee | 8 macadamia nuts
                        walked 5 miles before it hit 90dF
                        1 x 15 16kg kb swings

am starting to feel hungry now so maybe lunch soon.

And I'm putting together a list of the top 10 things I learned in my first 30 days of primal living.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• To wrap up yesterday -

L | PB cb tuna salad over mixed greens | berries
                          PDD/S | Buffalo Trace bourbon | toasted nuts | cheddar
                          D | pork loin roast | grilled summer squash, asparagus & zucchini | 08 Talbott Chardonnay
                          and since bacon was bakin', hubby slipped me a piece at dinner. Bacon is good anytime!

Wow. Today is my 30th day of the PB. And so without further ado -

Top 10 Things I Learned in 30 Days of Primal Living

10. The truth about cholesterol, saturated fat, leptin and insulin
                          9. Just how much nutrition affects health
                          8. Quitting grains isnít as hard as I thought (so far)
                          7. Sustained energy is fab - oh look, ketones!
                          6. I have no big, obvious grain sensitivity issues
                          5. Nutritional science is rife with bad studies, questionable data, flawed analysis, mistaken conclusions and outright lies. I need to learn how to be more critical with regard to them.
                          4. The power of Hope
                          3. The ancestral diet/paleo/primal community is a highly divided one
                          2. Better knife and cooking skills
                          1. CW is pervasive, all encompassing, mostly wrong and really hard to overcome

Tweaks for month 2 -
                          1. Continue to limit snacking; try for more filling meals
                          2. Swing my bell! Use my 16kg kettlebell for HIIT/sprints
                          3. Drop the booze M-Th, saving it for weekends only
                          4. Look into probiotics
                          5. Experiment w/asthma and nasal inhalers to see if this WOE has any measurable effect yet
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Today is my 30th day on the boards, but not to PB. I don't remember the exact date I started, but I do remember myself being fed up with myself and just diving in one day. It was in May sometime. But in this month alone by being strict on myself 80% of the time I can tell a drastic difference in my general well being.
                            So congrats on keeping yourself in check and recognizing every thing you have learned and still need to work on.
                            it's progress not perfection. and so far I think you are doing great

i didn't want to crowd your journal so i posted some of my pics in my journal that I took this am. you inspired me to put on the MACRO lens and go take some shots - I have only played with the attachment before, but i think it will be worth taking on vacation to the Bahamas. Since it is just a screw on attachment there's no need for lens change it could be interesting.
                            Have a great anniversary today!

Comment

• You're so right, it is a process and I think the key(s) to success is finding which changes have the best results in overall fitness, well-being and mental attitude. I'm not a doctrinal sort of person. I don't follow dogma or anything to the letter. I take what works and leave it at that. The in-fighting, arguments and us and them schisms in paleo/primal/ancestral are a wicked bummer. Aren't we (and I use this term loosely) a marginal group already? Why exacerbate that? I guess it's human nature to close ourselves off into little factions (corrals), but I am more of a free-roamer.

I shall go over and check out your pics.

Anyway...I tried on my fat pants today...the pants I bought when I got fat and then outgrew...and they were not a struggle to button or zip. They don't fit yet, still too tight, but they aren't bursting at the seams with me in them. That's progress. I still have the dream of walking without my thighs touching, but at least I have some indication of this WOE taking off the fat. With no scale (and I refuse to buy one) this is my measuring system. So yay me.

After coffee and before breakfast workout =
                              6 mins TGUs w/20lb db (special attention paid to bridge position and foot placement)
                              15 mins Tracy Reifkind's 'on the minute' kettlebell swings (16kg kb)
                              5 (or maybe 6, I lost count) x 50 very fast jump rope sprints

B | 2 hen eggs fried in butter and bacon fat | 2 bacon strips | 4oz V8

The section on high intensity interval training (aka sprints) in Primal Body, Primal Mind convinced me more than Mark's book to incorporate this kind of workout into my routine. Here is an excerpt from the chapter on weight management -

"With brief, intense anaerobic training, however, there is a residual fat-burning effect that can last up to two days! In the first couple of minutes of any intense exercise, your body uses pure adenosine triphosphate (known as ATP), and immediately after that's exhausted, your body uses its glycogen stores. It takes a good fifteen to twenty minutes to burn off the glycogen and start using fat. If you maximize your efforts within that twenty-minute window, your body actually learns to store energy increasingly in your muscles as glycogen instead of layered on your waist and thighs (and who knows where else) as unwanted body fat.

There is an aftereffect with this interval approach to exercise that is known as excess postexercise oxygen consumption, or EPOC (a sort of afterburn), that in effect ramps up the weight loss for extended periods of time - even while you're sleeping! Your body has to work hard to repair and restore spent energy levels after an intense workout, and this takes a lot of calories. It can take up to a full day for a full recovery. Think of it as a bonus calorie-burning workout within a workout. A scientific study that was done by Laval University in Quebec, Canada, proved that short, intense workouts burn up to nine times more fat than traditional aerobic training (Tremblay et al. 1994). In another study, at Colorado State University, subjects exercised for twenty minutes in sets of two-minute intervals, followed by one full minute of rest in between. Even at rest, their rate of fat oxidation was up 62 percent, and they continued to burn fat for a full sixteen hours following the exercise (Osterberg and Melby, 2000)!"
                              p157-158

WOW. She goes on to say one of her favorite training workouts is with a kettlebell and after watching my husband do HIIT with his, I decided to do it with mine. That stupid red dress will fit me. Oh yes, it will.
                              Last edited by June68; 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM. Reason: speeling. ; )
                              5' 9" 47 YO F
                              PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• The red dress will fit! You're doing great! I love seeing other women getting into the kettlebells and going heavier. Isn't it crazy the difference between a 16kg and a 20kg? I've competed in kb sport and when I moved up to the 20kg I thought I'd never make a 10 minute set. I thought that when I started with the 16kg too though. Keep on swinging those bells!

Comment

Working...
                                X