X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh and isn't this cool?

5' 9" 47 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
    Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• OK. Breakfast is down and a thunderstorm is moving through.

B | 2 hen eggs fried in butter and bacon fat | 2 bacon strips | 1 sauteed mushroom | 1c berries
      L | bigish salad w/steak
      Last edited by June68; 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM.
      5' 9" 47 YO F
      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• We had thunderstorms yesterday. BIG storms. Lots of lightning, thunder and rain. MUCH needed.

I wanna knock that domino thing over... lol

I don't usually have an issue with wheat until the next day. Good luck to you. I hope you don't react.

I've never used kettlebells. I think I'm a bit intimidated by them b/c I know there's a certain way they're supposed to be done to avoid injury and not all trainers are created equally.

Your hip pain... what does it feel like? I used to have hip pain until I started the PB.

Off to read your review of the Primal Blueprint now.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I love your review!! Great job.

Oh, and I read Bag of Bones. I can't wait to see what you think of it.

Comment

• hey thanks. I've been reviewing for years and sort of do them well now and again.

the hip pain is a deep and uniform ache. it's really annoying and intense enough to wake me some nights. Last night was a reasonably good one though I did spend an hour or so awake.

At first I was intimidated by the kettlebell workout, too. The movement is quite odd at first, but with practice I'll get better. I'm reading a book my husband picked up a while ago by Tracy Reifkind that is pretty helpful with drills and beginning form instruction. I think she has videos as well, but I haven't watched them, just the two big guys in kb training - Pavel and Dan John.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• The pie looks fantastic and would totally eat a piece, crust and all, if it were in front of me!!!!! Maybe more than 1 piece!

I suffer with hip issues, one sided most of the time. Mine is muscular due to overcompensation of postural issues. Mine progressed as back pain, herniated disc, surgery, whiplash, partially torn calf muscle, hip pain. I'm taking classes in Neurosomatic Therapy, which deals with postural allignment, but works on the muscles, not like a chiro (although I believe in them too). I also work as a Ki-Hara resistance stretching practioner, so more work on musculature. With the mention of your back issues a few pages back, you've probably got some deep muscle tightness involed.

Way to go with the bells! I love them! I was so happy with the strength progress. I was always strong, but I'm big. When I started I was struggling to strict press the 12kg. I worked to strict pressing the 24kg for high reps. I then got to the point I could jerk the 32kg for 3 reps each arm. I feel if I'm going to big, I might as well be able to throw around a lot of weight! and jenn26point2, you are correct, all trainers are not created equal!

Comment

• I wonder if you've got a sciatic issue. I used to have problems with my piriformis muscle pinching my sciatic nerve. It was very painful and would wake me at night too. I'd find a good massage therapist or an Active Release Techniques doctor (usually a chiropractor) and see if they can help. Those treatments and Primal/Paleo solved my problem, maybe it can help you too.

Comment

• Hi I just stumbled on your journal! I read that you love salty/crunchy, have you tried to dehydrate veggies? I dehydrated zucchini last week, put a little garlic and salt on them in the dehydrator...yum. Even my non-veggie eating 22 yo loved them. I know you have said you didn't cook, but they are super easy. I got the recipe off this site. Oh and I love kettle bells

Comment

• Originally posted by June68 View Post
                    oh and isn't this cool?

I have this Picture in my Hallway tied for my favorite with his Iris painting.

Was able to take hubby to see the Pablo Picasso exhibit about a year ago - his favorites were the nudes.,.... go figure lol
                    I love art, but can't seem to get the hubbs interested lol

Comment

• dehydrated veggies? I could probably do that. I have giant dehydrator and when zucchini season hits, people will pay me to take them of their hands. muhahahahaha!

I also love van Gogh's work and have several gorgeous reprints in my home. Whenever I go to a museum with his work in it, I get trapped in front of it for prolonged periods. Cezanne, too, although I don't have any prints. There was one in the National Gallery in London with trees and a path that I almost drooled on. The docents were concerned. LOL.

the pie pic is from the internet, but mom's looked just as good. Did not feel any effects from eating it. Except happiness and pleasure.

Anyway...yesterday I didn't snack at all since my snacks seem to be pretty calorically dense. Instead I just went hungry until my next meal which wasn't so bad. I think if I either make my breakfast or lunch a bit denser in terms of fat or protein, I can have shorter periods of hunger. Tweak, tweak, tinker.

D | grilled split chicken breasts (with skin!! first time!) | cauliflower sauteed w/bacon | green beans | chardonnay

Exercise - a few kb swings. Not many, but they're fun and so I think I'll probably do a few every day. Today I'll probably walk a few miles before the T-storms move in. I can hear the wrens outside calling. Funny how they used to say "tea kettle tea kettle tea kettle tea kettle" and now they seem to say "cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger".
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• Watched that video again. Just awesome. I watched some of the associated clips with it too. I love watching dominoes fall.

I like art but don't make enough of an effort to seek it out.

Comment

• I'm not a big-time museum goer, but I will seek one out if I'm in proximity.

Soooo...I've got a bigger post brewing about strength training, but for now -

Coffee
                          5 mile walk
                          5 x 10 16kg kb swings
                          B | 1 bratwurst | 2 hen eggs | 4 oz V8
                          green tea
                          L | peachy chicken salad (in the PB Cookbook and boy is it yummy. so great to break up salad monotony!)
                          Last edited by June68; 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM.
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• D | grilled "salisbury" steak (ground beef, onion, mushroom, spices) | grilled asparagus | sauteed spinach | 05 Hahn Cab Franc

Slept reasonably ok, but was awake again for a period of time, probably got 7 or so hours. Woke feeling fine. Had coffee then -

6 mins TGU w/20lb db
                            3 x 10 deadlifts w/34lb kb
                            5 x 10 34lb kb swings
                            3 x 10 goblet squats w/25lb db
                            3 x 10 arnold presses w/20lb db
                            3 x 10 chest press (one set flyes) w/20lb db

now am boiling some eggs and working my way toward hunger and breakfast.

I totally forgot how much I enjoy strength training. I always have and am sad now that I spent so many years not doing it.

Oh and my husband sent me this today - Not All Calories Equal, Study Comparing 3 Diets Shows - WSJ.com

It might not be perfect, but at least people are starting to look and reconsider.
                            5' 9" 47 YO F
                            PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

• I'm gonna have to google these moves you completed! They sound interesting. I'm working up the ambition to start LHT again. I took a break when my ribs started to hurt from all the coughing. Things are getting better now and I'm finding I'm quickly losing my excuse! lol I like lifting, but I'm lazy by nature and will avoid any kind of "work" if I can find a good enough (for me anyway) excuse to avoid it.

Checking out the link now. Have a good day!

Comment

• I don't feel averse to lifting at all; it's fun for me. Truly. Maybe it's because I'm naturally strong (thanks dad), but lifting has always given me an emotional/mental lift, too and so doing it is hardly a chore. Yes, I've had my share of injuries (not related to lifting, but affected lifting) and setbacks, but the pleasure is constant.

Anyway...a basic bodybuilding book should have the types of lifts I'm doing which are all basic and done standing or flat on the floor since I don't have a bench. As I get my strength back I'll probably incorporate other things, but the basic movements are all anyone really needs for basic strength and muscle building.

Sooo...I'm experimenting today with my meals. I'm getting intensely hungry for 2-3 hours before dinner. I'd like to NOT SNACK. So, this means I have to make one of my meals larger than it is, or more fat-heavy or both. Today it's breakfast which got upped slightly. Hopefully it will carry me further into the afternoon so I can either skip or move lunch to later in the day. Of course the next couple days are more flexible since my cook is on a business trip, but I'm going to try to eat at the same time we do when he cooks - around 7:30 or 8pm.

B | 3 eggs, 2 fried, 1 HB | 3 bacon strips | 1 sauteed mushroom | 4oz V8 | 2/3 or so cup of berries
                                L | sm bowl peachy chicken salad | 1 HBE | cheese | blueberry greek yog
                                Last edited by June68; 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM. Reason: lunch
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X