No announcement yet.

Jac's Countdown to 50!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the pointer - I'll find that guy's work. I'd love to go into summer knowing that fruit is a possibility. It hasn't been too much of a hardship so far, and I keep telling myself that if it takes me at least 3 weeks to get into ketosis then one orange isn't worth it. I guess, though, that that is metabolic flexibility - which I don't have yet.

I checked ketones this morning .7 . Quiet whoop here. And that's after having more carbs than usual yesterday because I had a very rich tomato-ey chicken brew last night, followed by entirely too much dark chocolate. However, one of those 100g bars only has 22g carbs in it, so even that little excess (1/2 a bar) wasn't exactly extreme.

Weight is 87kg, and I feel really puffy. Wedding ring on its own isn't comfortable, let alone with the engagement ring. I was quite uncomfortable in the night, and my bowels aren't quite synchronised yet - still random spasming. Today should be the last day, I think - tomorrow will be heaps better.

Off to the craft market!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• The market was great - I talked to a guy who makes olive oil about the different flavours. He said the oil mellows a lot over the first year - I tasted and bought a lovely one that he'd made last year. Can't wait to try it out. I have some mayo I made using lime infused avocado oil and wholegrain mustard - it looks good and shaped well, but the flavour is too intense and it drowns out the veges or eggs I use it on. I think I'll try for a really bland mixture and combine them - not using my new oil though!

I was right, the pain has completely settled. Still a bit puffy, but heaps better. Damn that coconut cream! It didn't happen that badly last time I used it (before this eating experiment - probably about 4 or 5 months ago) - it's a bit worrying that I seem to be more intolerant rather than less.

The sugar demon has me in its grips again, for some weird reason. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to spike it, but for the last week or so I've really noticed the sugary things around me - like lollies at the shop and vending machines. The most I've done is to add some stevia to my tea last night and today, and I had 2 segments of orange last night when Tony was eating one and I really wanted some! I'm hoping it goes into its cave again soon . . . I'm also exploring the idea of having a carb meal/timespan at some point. I guess it's linked to the sugar demon, but I'm finding this way of eating quite tedious at the moment, and can't wait to have some fruit. Yeah, I know they're linked. Any ideas about what's happening would be very welcome. Note, though, that I didn't start this by eating more carbs or sugar.

Daylight savings started today, and it's been a fantastic weekend, weatherwise. I have the first bit of colour in my face - yusss!!
      Last edited by Jac; 09-30-2012, 12:07 AM.
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• I know it's not popular to say it around here, but I tend to think sugar cravings mean you may need sugar, or at least some of the sugar-containing foods. Why is it we believe it when we crave fat but not sugar?

I obviously recommend a carb up and I hope that you experiment with that and see how it works for you (btw, I don't have your issues, but I supplement with Betaine Hcl and enzymes on carb night to help with digestion, you may find you need something too). I really don't suffer from carb cravings at all in between my carb nights.

Totally jealous about daylight savings by the way - stupid backwards Western Australia!
        My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          Totally jealous about daylight savings by the way - stupid backwards Western Australia!
          Ha, be careful what you wish for! Although I love it because it signals summer, what you actually get is later nights and earlier mornings. Well I do, anyway. I end up doing more in the early evenings, having later dinners, and then having the same kind of 3 hour space between dinner and bed - that means that my later evenings tend to stay the same length as they do in winter but they're pushed back at least an hour because I do more stuff. With the natural increase in daylight time and heat, sometimes they're more like 2-3 hours longer. Then I get up an hour earlier in the morning because work goes by the clock. I seem to lose the internal rhythm I develop over winter.

I tried going to be too early last night, and then didn't sleep deeply so I tossed and turned. This morning I feel like shit. I read Kiefer's work on Carb Nite last night, too (before bed) - which kept me thinking! How could I do a carb nite while staying paleo and avoiding fodmaps?? I'm not sure it's even possible. There seems to be a need for a fairly sustained period of a sharp insulin spike - more than could be achieved by having a sweet potato and adding maple syrup to my bacon!

I have realised what the sugar trigger was, though - it's more activity. I remember reading about it in Phinney and Volek, but I don't remember the remedy. I'll read up and add an edit here when I'm done.

Weight is up another .5kg this morning - a combination of tiredness, some dehydration and slightly sore back muscles from shovelling bark off a trailer. All fluid - can't wait til it comes off again though. I can feel the extra size in my hands, feet, eyes and belly.

Edited to add that I am totally wiped out. Barely even awake!! I decided that I couldn't take it any more, so I went to the shop. I had a sandwich, some chocolate raisins, a bag of lollies, and an orange. This is officially a carb-up, lol. I'm getting something more on the way home - might be white bread. I just don't freaking care. If this turns out well, I'll make it a weekly thing. If it doesn't, well I've only lost a part of one day. Right now, though, I just want to go to sleep. I still have 1.5 hours or so of work, and I think a nap before dinner is in order.
          Last edited by Jac; 09-30-2012, 06:23 PM.
          Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Finished carbing last night at about 7.30. Next time I'll be less stressed out and will start a bit later. Some transitory gas pains but nothing major.

This morning I'm 87.1kg - my lowest last week was 86kg, so let's see where this process ends up.

Working at home today and tomorrow, so I'm taking a very relaxed pace! Everyone else seems to be on holiday with their school aged kids, so I'm a happy camper in my quiet house .

Am about to go and cook eggs and sausage for breakfast. The crio bru should arrive soon - can't wait to try it!
            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I always gain a kilo or two after carb night. It's fluid retention mostly.

How do you feel otherwise?
              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                I always gain a kilo or two after carb night. It's fluid retention mostly.

How do you feel otherwise?
                Pretty good actually!! It'd be very easy to have more carbs today, but that's no more than a passing thought. I slept really well.
                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Feeling crappy today - just a vague emotion that feels like guilt and anger, but I'm not guilty or angry about anything. Instead I feel like everything is too hard, but I don't have the oomph to just say 'fuck it' and have a mental health day. Arrgggh!

Physically OK - weight is up again to 87.9kg. I suspect that this is because I overdosed on salt yesterday - I oversalted dinner (ground mince with stock AND tamari AND salt - what was I thinking?? Also, himalayan salt is saltier than salt, KWIM?) It was pretty horrible, but we were hungry and nothing else was defrosted, so we ate it. Then drank heaps, and we're both still thirsty this morning . But I don't have any abdo bloating, so that's a blessing.

I shall take my grumpiness and channel it into either work or rebellion, and feel better for it soon.
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Weight is up again. 88.2kg.

I'm weighing because I don't trust this process - I don't trust my body at all. I was losing on straight ketosis, but it had slowed right down and I was beginning to go a little crazy. I know I should stop weighing myself, and in fact I have gone for ages in the past without weighing, but then I also didn't care about losing so I was eating to feel good rather than having a weight loss goal. Clearly I am a little nuts about this .

In other news, my mood improved yesterday, and I got a bit of work completed. Then I gardened for a while, and had a bath before settling in front of a movie for the night. This morning I'm discombomulated about the scales, but apart from that I'm fine. I have to decide what to do about work - I can spend my time struggling to keep up with the workload, or I can be radical and change direction and screw the workload. I think I know which way I'll go . Time for a refocusing and planning session, I think!
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• The scale is a bastard. I am super strict about only weighing once per week - on the morning of carb night. There is a lot of body recomposition that goes on with low carb diets so the scale is not always an accurate predictor of progress. Are you able to comfortably wear your jeans? Do your rings fit?

I hope you manage to work out a happy solution to your work issues. I feel very fortunate that not only do I love my job, but when I walk out the door I don't think about it again until I walk back in the next day. I have worked high stress jobs that I took home before and the pressure sucks!
                      My Journal

Comment

• Yep, time to take a step back and breathe.

I'll do it your way - weigh day is the morning of carb nite. Thanks for the sanity you breathed all over my journal

I want to get a pair of trousers that don't quite fit, and use them to test overall fat loss. My main problem areas are hips and lower belly (aka my whole ass area ), and any measurements around my abdo are even more unreliable than the scale. Pants that are tight around the ass and thighs would be good, and I can ignore the button.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I'm tired - I keep forgetting that this is the first week of daylight savings, so it's OK to be in an adjustment period. I also have a sore butt from the gardening. I have really tight muscles, so any kind of activity tends to be quite sore to start with. Over the winter I got used to doing activities like climbing ladders and standing on chairs to paint, and lots of vacuuming, sanding and wiping. Now I'm getting used to the prolonged kneeling and bending involved with weeding and planting. I also restarted pushups and front planks. I really need a fun mobility workout that would keep all of me flexible, all year round! Preferably one that builds strength too. I'm very aware that my back gets sore really easily now, and feels quite stiff.

NO weigh or measure this morning. Last night I had steak and veges cooked in co oil, with a dollop of avocado mayo. I'm doing really well with the sub 30 carb days.
                          Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Very quick post - it's a busy weekend ahead. Weight was 87.2kg. I don't have the pants yet, but will get them! Carb Nite probably tonight . . .
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Carb nite went OK - I didn't enjoy it as much as last week. Tony kept commenting on how much crap I was eating, which didn't really help. I've tried explaining it, but he didn't really get it. I included kumara, which was my favourite carb - this time it was kind of tasteless. Maybe it's the season (they're probably old ones), or maybe something has changed in my taste buds. Still, in spite of having gluten *gasp* and sugar *double gasp*, I don't have IBS problems. I think that for next weekend I'll put more thought into my menu and try to be a bit more primal.

I'm back at work again, and really wanting a holiday. It's dreary weather, and I have a drearily long to-do list that's filled with huge things. I'm working on some strategies for getting through it. I love the freedom and challenge of this job, I really do. But I think I'm in that liminal space where I'm doing more advanced work without getting the amount of support that will come with it later. I have to prove myself by getting the grants and producing the reports/publications BEFORE I get extra support to do it. It's a very strange system, this academia business .
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• hi, just checking in so I can keep an eye on your new journal...

I did a bit of gardening in the weekend and have been feeling it in my hamstrings all week. It was just a bit of light weed pulling. Jeez... unfit.

Comment

Working...
                                X