No announcement yet.

EvRev's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday was CC #1. Since I'm focusing heavily on the Convict Conditioning progressions, I'm switching up the order of my training days. Here's the new layout (examples don't necessarily reflect what step I'm on, just the basic movements):

Monday - CC#1 (pushes, leg raises, bridges, neck work)
    Tuesday - CC#2 (pulls, squats, handstand pushups, grip work)
    Wednesday - REST
    Thursday - CC#1 (progressed)
    Friday - CC#2 (progressed)
    Saturday - Either high-volume kettlebell swings or sprints...I'll probably switch off.
    Everyday - L-sit and clutch flag GTG

So yesterday's was:
    Wall Pushups - 2x25 (fingertip)
    Seated Tuck - 2x25
    Short Bridge - 2x25
    Assisted Wrestler's Bridge - 1x10
    Assisted Front Bridge - 1x10

Today:
    Vertical Pulls - 2x25
    Shoulderstand Squats - 2x25
    Headstand - 2x1.5 min (freestanding)

I hate shoulderstand squats. I don't know why. I'm also having a hard time not jumping ahead in progressions...especially with the squats. I projected my progressions (not just steps...all the way down to sets and reps), and it should take me about a year to reach the Master Steps on most exercises. It may very well take me another year to reach the Master Step for the one-arm handstand pushup, but then again it's a beast of an exercise and my shoulders are my weak link.

I'm not officially adding the CC grip work just yet. I need to actually have a pull-up bar at my disposal (coming soon, once I get to the hardware store and build my own). I also haven't added the l-sit GTG yet. I need to take the time to test my l-sit so I can base my daily sets on where I am and my goal based on that.

I'll probably do more stuff later.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

A couple days late, but here's my report on my Two-Week Media Fast!

Today:
      Wall Pushup - 3x25
      Knee Tuck - 3x25
      Short Bridge* - 3x25
      Assisted Wrestler's Bridge - 1x15
      Assisted Front Bridge - 1x15

*Quick note on the Short Bridge: I've found that doing hip bridges of any kind with the palms up is a lot more beneficial than palms-down. The reason is based on how muscles act on a joint. Palms-up activates the middle fibers of the trapezius, which is a primary postural muscle for the shoulder girdle. Palms-down turns off the traps and activates more posterior deltoid (nothing wrong with that, but most of us spend the day hunched over a computer so any postural helps is generally appreciated).
      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Aaaand the steady diet of calisthenics continues! GTG on the clutch flag and L-sit are going great, and I'm almost ready to progress the flag. Otherwise I'm slowly losing my mind trying to take it slowly...I just need to remind myself what happened when I tried to rush through the progressions last time, and that it's totally worth it to actually be able to DO the things I want to be able to do.

Anywho, today's been another CC day:

Vertical Pull - 3x25
        Shoulderstand Squats - 3x25
        Headstand (Free-standing) - 3x1.5 min

Oh, and yesterday I played with kettlebell isometric crushes and heavy neck bridge pullovers. Fun stuff.

Next mission: master the Bent Press!
        Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Yesterday:
          Wall Pushup (Fingertip) - 3x30
          Knee Tuck - 3x30
          Short Bridge - 3x30
          Wrestler's Bridge (assisted) - 2x15
          Front Bridge (assisted) - 2x15

Today:
          Vertical Pull - 3x30
          Shoulderstand Squat - 3x30
          Headstand - 3x2min (that was most uncomfortable)

I'll be adding yoga to my daily practices, along with some basic Parkour and movement drills (i.e., Quadrupedal Movement, rolls, dives, vaults, climbs, etc.).
          Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Yoga today! Did 30 minutes. I forgot how tough this can be after not doing it for a while! I'm going to ease into it, but in a couple weeks I want to make it a daily practice (except Sundays...I don't do anything on Sundays). In a year I want to be pretty far along on Convict Conditioning and proficient at yoga. In two years I plan to have mastered all of the Master Step movements for multiple consecutive reps from both CC1 and CC2 (at the point CC3 will have been out for quite a while, so that'll be my focus then), and have a relative mastery of the more difficult yoga sequences. During that time I also plan on continuing my high-volume kettlebell work, and I plan on being capable of staggering numbers at that point. We'll see how it works out, and of course I'll be chronicling all of it here!
            Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Thursday:
              Wall pushup - 3x35
              Knee tuck - 3x35
              Short bridge - 3x35
              Wrestler's bridge - 2x16
              Front bridge - 2x16

Friday:
              Vertical pull - 3x35
              Crow stand - 1x10sec
              Shoulderstand squat - 3x35
              Practiced shoulder rolls & QM - 30min

Saturday:
              Kettlebell work w/24kg - 1 hour
              MovNat stuff by the river - 2 hours

I need to find some new climbing trees...
              Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Monday:
                Wall Pushup - 3x50
                Flat Knee Raise - 1x15
                Short Bridge - 3x50
                Wrestler's and Front Bridges - 2x19 ea

Tuesday:
                Horizontal Pull - 1x15
                Jackknife Squat - 1x10
                Crow Stand - 1x25 sec
                KB Full Body Attack - 3x3 @ double 24kg

Today:
                I can't handle a rest day in the middle of the week anymore!! Seriously, with every fiber of my being I've had to fight the insatiable urge to work out on Wednesdays. So...screw it! TURKISH GETUPS, HERE I COME!! *skips gleefully away*

In all seriousness, I just can't seem to be consistent with stuff on weekends, so I'll leave them for more spontaneous stuff whenever I have the time/desire. Wednesdays will be my sprint/kettlebell/variety days, along with some serious skill work. Today, that was:

Sprints
                Pullups
                Skin the cats
                Handstand practice
                Sandbag shouldering
                Bear & Lizard crawls
                Wall Climbs
                Turkish Getups

General shenanigans. I'm also putting some serious thought into developing a course on primitive movement patterns as part of an overall attempt to correct peoples' many movement problems. Something similar to MovNat principles combined with Gray Cook and the Corrective Exercise Continuum.
                Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Stumbled upon your journal and you seem to have some very interesting exercises. Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but I wonder if you can give me any recommendations as I can only work out from home and I'm pretty new to kettlebells and "primal" training. I have a foam roll, a 16kg and 24kg kettlebell and recently also got myself a pull-up bar. I have some dumbbells as well. I've had some good lessons from an RKC instructor and have reasonable technique for single and double handed swings, Goblet squats and the Turkish get-up. Don't master the clean yet, probably need something lighter as I am still pretty weak. 200lbs, 30yo male, never done weights in my life until 4 months ago, hooked on kettlebells now but I'd be interested to hear your take on where to go from here. Oh and I have my first blisters!! At the moment I'm at the stage where I wonder if I should just keep going, not overanalysing stuff and doing some random work-outs (reverse ladders, etc.), or whether I should look into some specific programme. I guess as a beginner it's OK to just do something three times a week, but as I said I'd be interested to hear your take, and apologies again if this is not the right place to ask

Comment

Wow, I can't believe I let this go so long...I'M BACK! I'm not going to backlog everything...but I'll start from Monday.

FlyingPig, as a personal trainer I couldn't ignore your request if I tried. I'll put some thought into it and PM you as many tips as I can within the next few days...I'm also getting ready to launch an online consultation aspect of my personal training business if you're interested.

Anyway, Monday looked something like this:
                    Incline Pushup - 2x20
                    Dips (bodyweight)- 3x8
                    Flat Knee Raise - 3x25
                    Straight Bridge - 2x20
                    Front & Wrestler's Bridges - 2x20 assisted, 1x3 unassisted (each)

Notes - I felt like adding a bit extra this week, so I'll be playing at least with dips and KB presses along with my standard CC

And Tuesday:
                    Horizontal Pull (on TRX w/ Fat Gripz) - 3x25
                    Jackknife Squat - 2x25
                    Crow Stand - 2x40 sec
                    KB Press - 1x3 ; Push Press - 2x3 @24kg
                    KB Press - 2x8 @16kg

Today:
                    KB Swings - as many reps as possible in 5 min @24 kg
                    =120

Isometrics - 1 set, 5 sec each. 100% intensity, 3 joint angles per lift.
                    Front Squat - Bottom position, 1/2 position, 1/4 position
                    Deadlift - Same as above
                    Press - Same as above

Notes - One-hand swings, alternating every 10 reps. I let these go by the wayside a while ago, so now I'm giving myself plenty of room for improvement during this new straight buildup phase.
                    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Monday:
                      Incline Pushup - 2x30
                      Flat Knee Raise - 3x35
                      Straight Bridge - 2x30
                      Wrestler's and Front Bridges - 2x20 Assisted, 1x5 Unassisted, 12x10 sec hold

Tuesday:
                      Jackknife Pull - 1x10
                      Jackknife Squat - 3x30
                      Crow Stand - 3x45 sec
                      TRX 40/40 Challenge (as many reps as possible of atomic pushup and low row w/ feet directly under the anchor point)
                      = 15/15 (wee bit disappointed, but it gives me something else to work on!)
                      50 burpees for time - 6:28...have I mentioned how much I hate burpees?

Wednesday (today):
                      Dips - 3x10
                      Lower Body TRX 40/40 (suspended lunge left leg, then right leg followed by hip press) - 25/25/20
                      100 KB swings @ 16kg
                      Swing Pyramid 1-10-1 @ 24kg (equals 100 total reps. I'm going to play around with these a lot more!)
                      Isometrics:
                      - Hulk Pull - 5x5sec
                      - KB Crush - 5x5sec
                      - Bow Pull - 2x2L, 2R

I was going to do some other stuff but I ran out of time. I also shouldn't overdo it considering I only got about 3 hours of really horrible-quality sleep last night. I may not make it all the way through class tonight, haha. This is just another challenge. Part of my quest to become superhuman. What I really need, though, is a way to vastly improve mental toughness. That's my weak point at the moment. I seem to have a bit of a weak constitution when it comes to conditioning based on how often I avoid it. Just another area to improve though!
                      Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                      X