Journal of a Primal CO Girl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journal of a Primal CO Girl

I'm mostly blogging about this at outdooramy.blogspot.com, but I figured that this might be a good place to journal as well.

Been at this slowly but surely for a few weeks now, though got off track because of school and work. (The amount of baked goods they lavish on teachers at the end of the school year is just ridiculous! That I was able to resist most of them is no small feat of will for a carb addict like me) . . . my eating when I'm home to eat has been good though.

This week, starting tonight with a 24 hour fast, I'm going to try and kick into high gear with a two week ketosis diet, try to get 40-50 carbs each day from organic fruits and veggies.

I'm a little worried about my ability to maintain, and hoping this will help me get some good accountability.

We'll call this day one of being a primal purist.
    Last edited by OutdoorAmy; 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Supposed to be making dinner soon, but not feeling hungry yet and I don't want to make it and then not be hungry enough to eat it! Ha ha.

I'm making coconut curry chicken for dinner.

A month from today is the last day of my lease, I plan to move out before then so I can clean up . . . I am not looking forward to moving, especially since I don't know where I'm going yet. This is adding a lot of extra stress to my life at the moment. The kind that makes you want to just stand still. Shock, I guess, you'd call it. Keep applying for jobs (but I have to force myself) and working on my health, but having a hard time focusing on school work or doing any house cleaning. This is the longest time in a while I've been on the job market and haven't found something. I've had 3 interviews and no offers, they hire internal for all of them. I just want to get my foot in the door, I know I'll move up once I'm there.

Anyway, that's what is stressing me out today. Diet wise I've been really good.

Oh, and I did walk 1.5 miles today. Tomorrow is another mile or more walk, and strength training.

. . . .

Update: That coconut curry was freaking amazing! I've finally mastered it! (After trying for two or three years) - the key was good quality curry powder a little seasoned salt and coconut oil. I will definitely be making that sauce again, I think it'll go great with the seafood medley I bought at the store today!

Here's the ingredients if anyone is interested (I'll post the full recipe on my blog):

Unsweetened coconut milk
    Shaved, unsweetened coconut
    Coconut oil
    Green onions
    Crushed garlic
    Cinnamon
    Paprika
    Seasoned salt
    Cardamom
    Cumin
    Ginger
    Curry powder
    Last edited by OutdoorAmy; 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Comment

Welcome Amy. Good luck with primal and job hunting.
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
        I'm making coconut curry chicken for dinner.
        I just had it for lunch, before I even read you post

Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
        Unsweetened coconut milk
        Shaved, unsweetened coconut
        Coconut oil
        Green onions
        Crushed garlic
        Cinnamon
        Paprika
        Seasoned salt
        Cardamom
        Cumin
        Ginger
        Curry powder
        I also put some black mushrooms and, since it's a thai recipe, a good dose of nam pla, it's a fermented fish sauce from southeast asia.

Comment

Grr, my whole post I typed out disappeared and now I'm too tired to re-do it . . .

Oh well. Will have a better update tomorrow!
          Healthy Bucket List:
          • Do a real pull-up
          • Run a 5k

Comment

As a graduate student, I can never say no to free pizza.

And so I had a slice again today . . . why is there so much free pizza around?

Stayed near my carb totals for the day in spite of it . . . but it's definitely not primal.

The pear and baked chicken thigh I had for lunch were though! And I came in under 1200 calories for the day feeling totally satiated thanks to that protein.

Tomorrow will be better. I will be home almost all day, so I will have more choice in the food I eat. Plus tomorrow is hiking AND line dancing day. Going hiking in the foothills near Red Rocks in the afternoon, then line dancing in the evening!
            Healthy Bucket List:
            • Do a real pull-up
            • Run a 5k

Comment

Enjoy your pizza from time to time. It's called cheating and it's not bad at all.

Last week I did some homemade bread (yes: flour, wheat!!!) and ate it with foie gras. I didn't gain a gram that day. On the contrary, the following days, I lost some. Once you are in the loop you'll find it's hard not to lose too much

Comment

Yesterday was a pretty good day in terms of diet, but an even better day for exercise. Took a 4.5 mile hike around the foothills here with some friends and went line dancing in the evening. Even got to talk to my friends about the principles of primal living and we discussed how all three of us would like to do at least one 14-er this summer! It is so great to have friends again that enjoy the outdoors. Hope I can stay close enough geographically to hang out with them still after graduation.
                Healthy Bucket List:
                • Do a real pull-up
                • Run a 5k

Comment

Where'd you go line dancing? Would you reccomend it for newbies? It sure sounds like fun (even if it will take me a few drinks to get out there) and I've been trying to find a place to do a Mom's night out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                    Where'd you go line dancing? Would you reccomend it for newbies? It sure sounds like fun (even if it will take me a few drinks to get out there) and I've been trying to find a place to do a Mom's night out.
                    Went to the Grizzly Rose, they have a ladies night on Thursday nights, so legal ladies drink for free all night with a $5 cover. I've been a few times now and picked up 3 or 4 new dances to go with the 2 I already knew - I'd like to learn some of the faster dances, but my agility just isn't there yet. Soon. They do a fair number of "easy" dances, and if you have any experience with dance, they are easy to pick up - since almost everything can be broken down into 4 counts or 8 counts.

. . . .

Just made some homemade ice cream with pureed banana, strawberries, pastured heavy cream, almond milk, coconut milk, dark chocolate chips and a tsp. of stevia. Won't be eating it today, or even tomorrow probably, but it'll be nice to have. pondering adding some probiotics and raspberry ketone to it . . .
                    Last edited by OutdoorAmy; 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM.
                    Healthy Bucket List:
                    • Do a real pull-up
                    • Run a 5k

Comment

It's graduation day!

Yesterday I finished all of my remaining assignments and even got two phone calls to schedule interviews for next week while I was working on my last homework. Both are in CO, so I'm hopeful that even one of them will work out - I'd really like to be offered both and have a chance to choose between the two.

Though the ketosis diet was a bad idea during this last week of school. I had no time to cook - all my waking hours were spent finishing homework, at work or tidying the house in preparation for guests.

I will hit the restart button tonight though. I talked my parents into going to Ted's for my graduation dinner - though their first choice was an Italian place (Would you like an appetizer of bread to go with you main course of bread? And for dessert how about some more bread?)

And come tomorrow, with no more homework to worry about or job to go to (but at most a couple observations each week), I should have plenty of time to cook good food for myself, hit the gym, the pavement or the trails every day and start packing up my house to move.

Don't know where I'm moving to yet, but hopefully next week's interviews will help to answer that question . . .
                      Healthy Bucket List:
                      • Do a real pull-up
                      • Run a 5k

Comment

So my mom tells me on the way to dinner last night - "You need carbs"

I tell her, "Technically, you don't, but in any case I can get plenty by eating fruits and vegetables and they come with less blood sugar spike and more absorbable nutrients."

Full on ketosis starts tomorrow . . . but more than that, I'm excited to hit the gym tomorrow. With no more homework to worry about I have nothing to keep me from hitting the gym for 1-2 hours every day to lift heavy things, do some slow cardio and go to yoga classes! Also, the gym is air conditioned, and home isn't.

Not to mention taking the pooch for a walk every day too to get some sun and a little more calorie burn.

I have two interviews scheduled for this week, and four more job leads to apply for.

Hoping I'll be settled into a new job and new house soon so I can focus more on this lifestyle change for the rest of the summer and into the fall. Mission hot for training camp continues!
                        Healthy Bucket List:
                        • Do a real pull-up
                        • Run a 5k

Comment

I realized today how much I wish I had known about the primal diet BEFORE having my gallbladder removed two years ago . . . I'm not sure it would have made a difference, but it would have been worth a try. Unfortunately I am not gallbladder-less and appendix-less and I think scars from both surgeries have cause occasional minor bowel obstructions.

Anywho, today I resarted ketosis diet plan, trying to stay under 50 carbs daily - the lower the better, but 50 is the upper limit. I walked four miles and lifted heavy things at the gym . . .

Tired and ready to chill out and read with the rest of my time this evening. Tomorrow, will begin packing and apply for some more jobs.

Really enjoying this relaxing post-graduation weekend!
                          Healthy Bucket List:
                          • Do a real pull-up
                          • Run a 5k

Comment

This half-Mexican girl loves some primal carne asada . . . I could eat way too much of that for sure.

In other news, had an interview this morning and hit the gym for 2 hours afterwards. Walked 2.5 miles, did some elliptical sprints and lifted heavy things - including 305 lbs. on the squat press machine! That was my goal, so my new goal is to max out the machine and start doing free weight squats with a barbell.

Things going good with ketosis on day 3. Right at 50 carbs, less than 1/3 of total calories and macronutrient profile. (As opposed to about half pre-primal).

Tomorrow I have another interview, this one is up in the mountains and I'm bringing a friend along with so we can do some hiking afterwards. Should be a fun day!
                            Healthy Bucket List:
                            • Do a real pull-up
                            • Run a 5k

Comment

Hiked four miles after my interview today . . . which I think went really well. We shall see, but might be moving to the mountains within the next month. Hope so anyway - sounds like it would be a great place to even just start my career, and maybe to stay for a while. *fingers crossed*
                              Healthy Bucket List:
                              • Do a real pull-up
                              • Run a 5k

Comment

Working...
                              X