• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast:
    Leftover beef hash + 2 x poached eggs with a little butter

Lunch:
    Big bowl of fresh raspberries and local fresh strawbs with coconut cream
    Oxtail broth with oxtail meat & veggies

Having a massive clearout at home. eBay, carboot etc. Trying to sort my life out over the summer so that when I go back to uni I don't have to wade through crap to find stuff or do my coursework. Also my father is *hopefully* coming to stay with me so I want to clear the spare room entirely so it feels like a guest room / study, not like my bedroom farted and a load of stuff flew out and landed in the spare room.

Dinner:
    Bargain salmon fillet (4 for a fiver!), panfried with pesto drizzle
    Roasted veggies: fennel, peppers & tomatoes. Massive heap.
    2 x 90% choc sq
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55701.html

Comment

Hello there Nibbler
      Really enjoyed reading your journal. I'm also in the UK and also super delighted when I find reduced price food at sell-by date so I enjoyed the descriptions of your bargains (still vividly remember the time I got two dozen Waitrose free-range eggs for 49p/dozen! I nearly took a photo.)

Your food diary sounds amazing. I looked up cortido straight away and shall be trying that soon. I've made sauerkraut successfully (love red cabbage especially!) and also want to have a go making kimchi. This sounds like a cross between the two.

Anyway sounds like you're doing great, good luck with the tidying-up and I shall be watching your journal for more recipe inspiration.
      Well and happy - Journalling a primal life in London

Comment

Brunch:
        4 x chipolatas
        2 x fried eggs
        4 x fried mushrooms
        1 x tomatoes
        All done in beef dripping
        Fermented ketchup

Lunch:
        Bowl of rasps & strawbs with coconut cream + dessicated coconut. Ran out of time for meal.

Snack: Pork scratchings! Dark chocolate Bounty! This is what happens when you (sorry I) work my arse off doing hard physical work in a shop shifting crates of beer and wine and running up and down ladders while you attempt to fast with no actual food on hand. Fasting is not for me. The only time I will fast is when I am at home and am not hungry. I don't think that counts. Otherwise, I'm freaking hungry at meal times. I don't really care. I was starving and I probably burned it off. There's no way I've exceeded 150g carbs even with a choccy bar!

Dinner:
        Spanish(ish) chicken bake: skin on chicken thighs, sliced onions, chopped red pepper, minced garlic, chopped chorizo, olive oil, salt & pepper
        Steamed spring greens with butter
        Small glass Old Rosie scrumpy

Today I am making trotter bone broth with a pair of trotters I picked up from Petersfield market for 50p! Fantastic! It smells nice. Should make a nice thick gelatinous stock.
        Last edited by Nibbler; 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like primal is going fairly well for you.

For a while, every breakfast I had stuff like grilled mushrooms, sardines, tomatoes, aged cheddar, etc. Craving for umami, I guess.

Thoughts on selling someone on primal, mostly gleaned from threads here.
          Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Hi Pineneedles!
            You're lucky being in London, you are close to sources of chicken heads, feet, pig trotters etc. If you ask for that sort of thing round here people ask if you are 'foreign'. I've had to go further up the supply chain! I generally find Waitrose to be surprisingly good value on the fresh meat counter, and if you eat cheese they have a good selection of raw milk cheeses.
            I have bought the ingredients for kimchi so many times and ended up eating them instead! I love kimchi. I must try again soon. I always have some kind of kraut on the go, I try to eat it most days. I also have some fermented ketchup which was a huge success, little things like that helped my partner convert.
            Have you tried kefir? I have some water grains and possibly some milk grains spare if you'd like them.

Comment

I think I forgot to say that I've changed jobs... I now work for a wine merchants, no longer for the farm shop. Hence lack of available food during shifts. I can walk or cycle to work now which is great. I love cycling. Have to remember not to smile with my mouth open while cycling though, or when I cycle home at dusk I get bugs in my teeth. I thought that was a cyclist's joke until it actually happened to me.

No breakfast, no time! I see a trend this week!

Lunch:
              2 x smoked back bacon
              1/2 sweet potato in latke form (peel, grate, mix with 1/2 egg + tsp coconut flour + cinnamon)
              2.5 x scrambled eggs (+ 1/2 from latkes = 3 eggs today)
              All cooked in coconut oil + butter
              Gardens strawbs with coconut cream + dessicated coconut

Snack: Handful of pecans

Dinner: AWESOME MEAL from my love! He's turned into a great chef. This was ready 5 mins after I walked in the door and I was ravenous.
              Sesame tuna steak + chilli lime prawns + green veggie stirfry

Discovered a new favourite wine at work, 2010 Fleurie, delicious plummy farmy nose, and *gorgeous* full and lingering blast of black cherry & cinnamon flavours! I was astonished. Interestingly if I'm wine tasting at work I don't want to actually drink any when I get home. It's a shame to spit it all away each time though! I have found my palate tires after about 4 wines. Everyone uses crackers to neutralise the palate at work, I use water but it's not as effective as I remember crackers to be. Must hunt for another convenient alternative.
              Last edited by Nibbler; 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Hedonist. I've been primal for a year now.

Comment

Breakfast:
                  2 x bacon
                  2 x scrambled eggs + coconut oil
                  Cortido

Snack: small piece of birthday cake and a cup of tea!

Dinner:
                  Roasty chook, roasty pots in duck fat, steamed carrots, broccoli & greens
                  Gravy (chicken juices + trotter stock)
                  Small glass scrumpy

Walked about 7 miles today. Turned out to be a perfect June day despite predicted 90% chance of precipitation this afternoon.
                  Will be preparing for my clinical placement this evening, starts tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Nibbler; 06-24-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nibbler;878026
                    Discovered a new favourite wine at work, 2010 Fleurie, delicious plummy farmy nose, and *gorgeous* full and lingering blast of black cherry & cinnamon flavours! I was astonished. Interestingly if I'm wine tasting at work I don't want to actually drink any when I get home. It's a shame to spit it all away each time though! I have found my palate tires after about 4 wines. Everyone uses crackers to neutralise the palate at work, I use water but it's not as effective as I remember crackers to be. Must hunt for another convenient alternative.[/QUOTE]

Working in a wine shop sounds amazing!

Maybe you could spit out the crackers, too?

I've got a couple of pigs' trotters in the freezer waiting to be made into stock. There's a lot of ethnic shops in Lewisham not too far away from me and they sell all kinds of animal parts, whole chickens for boiling etc but my problem with them is that I'm not sure of the animal welfare. Waitrose meat counter is definitely good for reductions and they have cheap cuts anyway like ox and pig cheeks - I even saw veal hearts a few weeks ago!

Haven't tried making kefir yet but definitely interested if you have spare grains. Didn't even know you could make it with water! Do you have a recipe for the fermented ketchup? I've still been having Heinz ... would be great to swap it for something less processed.
                    Well and happy - Journalling a primal life in London

Comment

Originally posted by Wharton394
                      bump again
                      Sorry, bump what again? I have no idea what you are talking about. This is my journal!

Comment

I use the Nourishing Traditions recipes for all my fermented foods, here's a copy: Ketchup with me
                        It's awesome. I use it to make my own BBQ sauce, marie rose sauce (with homemade mayo) etc.
                        PM me your address and I'll post you some I've got loads

Comment

Breakfast on the run: banana + handful cashews

Lunch:
                          leftover roast chicken with mixed salad
                          tub of mixed berries + coconut cream

4 chunks of hazelnut dark choc to replenish poor exhausted body! been on the wards all day

Dinner
                          2 x jersey royal pots sauteed in beef dripping
                          Serving beef mince in gravy: 250g beef mince, 1/2 onion, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 celery stick, tsp butter + olive oil, 1/2 cup bone broth
                          Last edited by Nibbler; 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

No breakfast, no time

Lunch:
                            Leftover beef supper
                            Mixed salad with EVOO + balsamic

Snack:
                            Small bowl mixed fresh berries
                            Handful almonds

Dinner:
                            2 x skin on chicken thighs
                            1/3 sweet potato, baked in wedges
                            1/2 avocado
                            Mixed salad with EVOO + balsamic
                            Last edited by Nibbler; 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Breakfast:
                              2 x bacon
                              Banana pancakes with 1 teaspoon maple syrup...

Because...

I didn't know I'd be having standard hospital food for lunch. I had to do it at some point for a piece of work and it seemed like the best day time wise after my timetable changed. I was getting a bit tired and hungry without breakfast so I thought I'd fuel up! Not necessary. Huff.
                              Lunch: Italian beef, 1 scoop mash, carrots
                              Apple charlotte + custard.
                              It was pretty good for institutional food. Very different from what I like to eat, so I experienced the inevitable crash despite it being what the NHS would class as low to moderate sugar. Also low fat. No worse than what I would have eaten at home long ago on a Sunday or my family eat on a daily basis now. I'm not going to talk about it any more!

Dinner:
                              Mackerel salad. No dressing because I didn't want to add to the PUFA's!

Comment

Can't remember what I had on Thur, random collection of fridge items I think

Yesterday
                                Breakfast: almonds
                                Late lunch: 3 x chipolatas, 2 x scrambled eggs, 1 x tomato, 3 x mushrooms
                                Snack: 2 x 90% choc squares
                                Dinner (partner didn't know what I had before work!): Gammon steak, fried egg, large mushroom, large salad
                                Last edited by Nibbler; 06-30-2012, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X