Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back atcha!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• i slept all through it
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

• Today is my 14th wedding anniversary...
        Weeee!

Husband is working.
        Currently sleeping since he is working the night shift.
        Good news... tonight is his last night.
        This weekend he starts swing shift... anything from 12 to 12 to 2 to 2 depending on the day.
        Weird, but it is what it is.

I'll cook a sort of traditional southern Jan 1st meal... black eyed peas, baby butter beans, real corn instead of corn bread, collard greens, and a roast pork loin glazed in honey and whole grain mustard. Because DAMMIT there are some traditions I won't give up. I'm Southern and this is what we eat on January 1st, and what I have eaten every single January 1st of my entire life as far as I know. Legumes get a reprieve for the day, and peas are really low on the toxicity curve anyway as far as the family goes.
        I amended the menu a bit away from the corn bread and the traditional cured ham because the ham is just too salty for me... and no corn bread for obvious reasons (wheat flour and sodium used for quick rise).

So, anyway... that anniversary thing.
        Maybe we celebrate tomorrow.
        The in between years don't feel like much anymore anyway.
        Next year will be a celebration... the 15th.
        See how that works.
        At first you celebrate every year. How cute.
        Then really only every 5 years.
        And I'm sure at some point we'll reduce it to 10 year increments.

So tomorrow, a nice dinner... maybe some ice cream on the way home at my favorite little independent place where they use fresh ingredients and make new flavors in small batches several times daily according to demand. Good stuff, and you never know what flavors they will have so it makes you get out of your box a little.
        As far as I know there have been no presents/gifts purchased. (There also were not any for x-mas.)
        We are such an exciting couple.

A little backstory would probably help with this.
        When I met my husband he drove a green mustang, and I dubbed him my frog prince once I gave him a chance. I have a longstanding love of The Muppets (as all intelligent people do ) and since I was a tall crazy blonde who went to a bit heavy after we got together, and husband is shorter than average steadfast and charismatic good guy... it always seemed that the Miss Piggy/Kermit thing just fit us. Except for the part where it was Piggy who pursued Kermit, for us that is EXACTLY backwards... it was I who initially avoided him and was running away. Such a small detail. We both eventually ended up where we belong.

“Then, one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...you give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore.” =)
        ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Sandman <3

Happy anniversary & New Year!
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Yeah. I simply cannot imagine anyone ever reading Sandman and not falling completely in love.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              Yeah. I simply cannot imagine anyone ever reading Sandman and not falling completely in love.
              It is the only Gaiman I haven't read. I have no idea why. I really need to get on that.

Comment

• It's the only Gaiman I've really enjoyed! Same for Boyfriend.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  It's the only Gaiman I've really enjoyed! Same for Boyfriend.
                  You didn't like Neverwhere or American Gods?

Comment

• I've loved pretty much all the Gaiman I've read. Stardust was probably my least favorite. We have Sandman, but I haven't grabbed it off the server yet.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      You didn't like Neverwhere or American Gods?
                      Okay, I liked Stardust. I haven't read Neverwhere. American Gods was good. I get kind of frustrated with the tone he uses, because it's the same in every book. Every book sounds like it has a narrator and that irks me. It's kind of reminiscent of Tolkien. I like the stories better than how they're told, if that makes sense. Most of the writing is amazing, but the voice bothers me.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        Okay, I liked Stardust. I haven't read Neverwhere. American Gods was good. I get kind of frustrated with the tone he uses, because it's the same in every book. Every book sounds like it has a narrator and that irks me. It's kind of reminiscent of Tolkien. I like the stories better than how they're told, if that makes sense. Most of the writing is amazing, but the voice bothers me.
                        I honestly think Neverwhere is his best/most accessible book. I thought it far better than Stardust and along the same 'tone' Lighter than American Gods. I pretend he didn't write Anansi Boys because it sucked hard.

Comment

• Neverwhere <3.

Stardust is a good one but not my favorite.

I do like American Gods, but I'm in the same boat with ya on Anansi Boys... just not there.

His Good Omens with Pratchet is such a wonderful ride... love that one too.

Sandman is really just wonderful though. I guess it's a format issue. The others are straight up books, so it's different. They aren't going to touch that.
                          Also due to being a graphic novel I feel that it needs to be read in hand. Old school.
                          Though there are some current, really awesome, web comics I read... so I guess that is a bit unfair. But still...
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            His Good Omens with Pratchet is such a wonderful ride... love that one too.

Sandman is really just wonderful though. I guess it's a format issue. The others are straight up books, so it's different. They aren't going to touch that.
                            Also due to being a graphic novel I feel that it needs to be read in hand. Old school.
                            Though there are some current, really awesome, web comics I read... so I guess that is a bit unfair. But still...
                            I loved Good Omens though whenever the kids showed up I got annoyed. So I guess I loved the parts they were not in.

I'll have to check out Sandman. I've never gotten into comic books or graphic novels or the like. I have no idea why. I feel as if part of my nerdness is missing.

Comment

• Oh, Good Omens. Hell yes.

Agreed on Anansi Boys.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Hear, hear for Sandman!

Also, I feel the need to revisit Anansi Boys. Just to see what all the hatin' is about. I don't remember it striking me as particularly awful but it's been a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X