No announcement yet.

Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are the most special snowflake evahhhhh!

I just thought I'd drop in and say hi to my comrade in arms from fighting the forces of ignorance on the iodine thread.

This was my attempt at rocking the cue ball look.

My Picture the cue ball.jpg

It does grow back. Really it does.

Transcontinental hugs to you. With such a great guy and an adorable pooch for support, I'm sure you will be just fine.

Comment

• You could always just shave one side of your head completely. Be kinda goofy, but I bet with some colors, you could make it a "look"

That all sounds like good news though. I hope they can sort out your sha-jay-jay soon.
      Depression Lies

Comment

• Yes to asking for the ?! As soon as you mentioned them I was thinking it's at least worth a try. No reason not to get a badass scar out of it, right

I hope I wasn't the only one that saw this: Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg by ~zombat on deviantART when you mentioned a half-shaved head, Wonder

Glad things are moving forward and it sounds like you found a good doc. They're precious when you get them.
        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• I'm not quite sure what you're facing - I'm not a neurosurgeon - but I just wanted to let you know that I have a shunt. I have some cool scars on my neck where they put in some extra pipework and occasionally a hairdresser will notice the little spine (that's what it feels like) behind my right ear, but otherwise it is undetectable and I rarely think about it. My coworker's adult son has had a similar experience - minus the neck scars as his was fitted with extra piping to begin with. Mine and his were both fitted when we were babies for hydrocephalus and we're both what passes for normal now. It is possible to have major surgery and come out okay
          I hope that is your experience and I wish you a very speedy recovery. Thank you for posting the surgery vid - I shall watch it when I get home.
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Thanks everybodys!

Making things 'happen' has been a bit stressful as I've been having to deal with the VA some about one of the steps.
            And dealing with them is ALWAYS like having teeth pulled sans anesthesia.
            I posted a GOTD about them... then I made some real headway by flat out refusing to talk to the phone nurses and demanding to speak with my doctor's nurse/pa.
            If you make a big enough fuss and all...
            It worked mostly, we are just hashing out some details, and I should have a date scheduled for Neuro-Stim generator interrogation tomorrow!

Also, husband's mom is still in the hospital and not doing well enough to go home yet, though she is certainly better than she was when she needed the feeding tubes (glucose/vitamins into vein) and NG tube inserted last week.
            They had to give her two units of blood yesterday due to low hemoglobin.
            So I'm not sure if the appendicitis is the end of the story.

I haven't fully decided on my hair yet (but I LOVE that pic Wonder!)
            I have had part of my head shaved before, center of the back of my neck, for an incision about 5inches long that goes a couple of inches into my hairline... and I had longer hair at the time and remember how sticky things were and how my hair was always getting on the incision and gunky.
            That said I'll either be going with a half shave and crazy color... even though I don't know what I'll do with it like that as it grows back out. Or I'll just go nutz short/full shave! Some of that depends of if it will be a left or right side incision... as I wear my hair parted on the right and brushed to the left. Doing the opposite feels weird and uncomfortable so the hair would be over it/touching it all the time. Not good, cause then I'd be touching it a lot too.
            I am SO asking for the ?.
            There will be a smaller incision further back.

I actually am due to be at the salon... pretty much now.
            My blue is pretty faded, and my blond roots are showing badly.
            I might pick up some teal/blue dye to perk it up with myself just a bit...
            Because if it's just going to be a few more weeks until a DRASTIC change, ala Color and Shave...
            I figure I don't need to be in there getting my standard right now. *shrug*

Badgergirl- I have a little bit of experience with risky surgery and surgery in general. I have Neuro-Stimulator that was originally installed in '99 and has been worked on many times since. The wiring goes all the way to C1/C2, so darn near the base of my skull.
            "Brain surgery" feels like a bigger deal though.
            It's good to hear from people who have had it done and where it's been successful. So thank you!
            A lady in the support community I'm a part of died after complications from a VP shunt this year. But it doesn't happen often.
            My doctor is actually a Pediatric Neuro-surgeon, so he does a lot of shunts... like 5 a week!
            He actually specialized in Pediatric Neuro so that he could so more surgical corrections than regular adult neurosurgeons do.
            He is suppose to be really good at this.

I found an excellent new placement video on Youtube...
            If anyone wants to watch.
            Of course feel free to not watch it if you get creeped out a bit easily...
            I find it fascinating, and I wonder if I can get a video of my own!
            (This video shows the same type of shunt that my doc will use.)

Husband wants to know what I want to do this weekend...
            I'm thinking on it.

Next week is my 1yr ER-versary, so I'll be doing something then to celebrate being alive for sure.
            Even if I wasn't actually going to die, husband and I, and the ER staff as well for a while, both thought it was a good possibility.
            It gives you perspective and stuff.
            He said I need to get out a bit while I can, before I'm not able to get around for a while because of healing from surgery.
            He's right.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Is watching this weeks episode of Trueblood for the third time... Because... Ummmmm...

Joe Manganiello NAKED and sexing!!!

Yep.
              That's why.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Oh, yeah.
                And this.

How Most Things You Know About Feminists Are Vicious Conservative Lies
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• we just watched episode 8, season 2.
                  my primal journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Thanks everybodys!
                    I am SO asking for the ?.
                    There will be a smaller incision further back.
                    Badgergirl- I have a little bit of experience with risky surgery and surgery in general. I have Neuro-Stimulator that was originally installed in '99 and has been worked on many times since. The wiring goes all the way to C1/C2, so darn near the base of my skull.
                    "Brain surgery" feels like a bigger deal though.
                    It's good to hear from people who have had it done and where it's been successful. So thank you!
                    A lady in the support community I'm a part of died after complications from a VP shunt this year. But it doesn't happen often.
                    My doctor is actually a Pediatric Neuro-surgeon, so he does a lot of shunts... like 5 a week!
                    He actually specialized in Pediatric Neuro so that he could so more surgical corrections than regular adult neurosurgeons do.
                    He is suppose to be really good at this.

I found an excellent new placement video on Youtube...
                    If anyone wants to watch.
                    Of course feel free to not watch it if you get creeped out a bit easily...
                    I find it fascinating, and I wonder if I can get a video of my own!
                    (This video shows the same type of shunt that my doc will use.)
                    I can totally understand wanting to get a video. As my own brain surgery was done when I was born (and before I was adopted) the inital process has always been something of a mystery - there's never been anyone to ask. I've quizzed everyone I've met about it, but often (as each procedure is a little different) their experience or knowledge doesn't map to the little bits I know about my own. Lord only knows, for instance, why mine was set to drain into the heart when everyone else's drains into the stomach area. That said, I got the all clear at around seven years old and was totally discharged from check ups at 12 years old so they must have done something right. The surgeon said he could remove the shunt if I wanted, but that seemed rather silly as it would be brain surgery again. A week later I ran out in front of a car and - among other things - fractured my skull. The docs told my mum the shunt helped me survive that little incident... I'm rather fond of it. And my neck scars are fabulous - people really think I've attempted to cut my own throat. Perhaps I should start selling pies (Terry Pratchett joke).
                    I really, really hope that this surgery helps you with all the sensory overload stuff you've been suffering. And it sounds as though you have the best team and a great outlook on it. I can't wait to see your question mark scar. I'll be following along and wishing you well from the other side of the planet.
                    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Hi Cori,

Usually, when I read a new journal (new to me, I mean), if it's long, I read the first few pages to see where the person started, and the last few to see where they are now.

Tonight/this morning, I started at page one of your journal, and you have kept me totally mesmerized. I even got up about a half hour ago and made a cup of espresso because I didn't want to lose the continuity for something as silly as sleep. Thank you so much for sharing all of this. This may be some of the bravest writing I've seen... well, ever.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• It's a very medicated kind of evening...

So things are somewhere between this...

And this...

But at least as cruddy as watching THIS... for like and hour. Without blinking.

Evil Derp Kitteh is not as innocent as he looks.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Saturday Morning Torture Times has been rescheduled for Friday afternoon this week...
                          Yup... today!

Which means I will be going to pick up milks and have dinner out with husband AFTER I get the work over.
                          Upper body deep tissue massage and pressure point release...
                          My hair will be JACKED!
                          Yeah, the massage oil stuff gets all up in the back of my hair.
                          I'll pretend I don't care, but I prefer my hair without and stuff in it.

I also got an email notice that I have an appointment to get my hair done next Thursday...
                          Which is my ER-versary.
                          Odd coincidence. I did not think of that when I scheduled it.
                          However, I may cancel it depending on what I find out about my impending test appointments...
                          Which will determine how soon Head Drilling Time comes
                          I poked people again today via telephone, and was told that they would call back.
                          The lady in the Neurosurgeons office had expected that the hospital where the tests will be done would have called me already.
                          Sometimes I fear that they write down the wrong number because of my speech impairment.

Last week I had to make a phone call to a product support line... the person answering had a very thick foreign accent, possibly Indian, and between us it was USELESS. He couldn't understand me, no matter how clear I was trying to be. I had to hang up and call again to try and get someone else... and it worked. The next person had a very light accent and she did have as many problems understanding me through my speech issues.

Having phone conversations on a bad speech day is REALLY frustrating.
                          I have to concentrate very hard on enunciating the words properly, and they still come out all weird.
                          Sometimes it gets so bad that even husband can't understand... but that's probably because I don't always focus so hard on clear speech with him because it's more casual.
                          He will look at me and go "WTH did you just say..."
                          If it's a pain for him to understand the second time around when I'm trying harder then it's just time for me to stop and be quiet for a while. (Like the rest of the day.)

Laters peeps.
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Good luck, Cori.

*Hugs*

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                              Good luck, Cori.

*Hugs*
                              Hugs are fabulous.

Torture Time was as expected... though not quite as bad as some previous appointments.
                              Afterward I had some time to kill as I needed to wait a little bit for husband to get off of work and come pick me up.
                              (Have I ever mentioned that not driving sucks.)
                              Anyway, I walked a little bit down the row of the shopping center and went into The Vitamin Shoppe, because it was hot and sticky outside.
                              I meandered around and decided to get a few things.
                              I got a pound of Chia seeds, a jar of Nutiva Coconut Manna, and a medium spice type bottle of Xylitol.
                              I also got two Kind bars(they were 2for$3), one apricot coconut and one chocolate cherry, because it was about 4:30 and I was, oddly, a bit peckish.
                              I was looking for Lara bars but they didn't have any... I settled even though the Kind bars are not exactly perfect. There is a bit of sunflower oil in there. Whatever.
                              Oh! I got some yummy all natural mints too... Meltzer's Puremints pastilles in Spearmint(w/ green tea, parsley, and peppermint) and DGL Licorice(w/ Anise, Fennel, and Cardamom).

And I was done... I needed to sit so I walked slowly back to the Spa and found a quiet spot and nibbled away on the chocolate-cherry Kind bar until it was gone... and wished I had a big drink because it was sweet! But also really tasty. And not a terrible treat to have.

I was just starting to rain when husband arrived. I asked him if he wanted me to melt away like a certain witch.
                              Then we were off home for a little rest before Milk Getting Time.

After picking up milk(with the cooler/ice) we stopped and got dinner at a little Mexican place that uses local produce and dose a fine job of cooking up delicious steak fajitas for me to eat with a fork.

Then we did some necessary shopping: dog food, veggies, color safe bleach. So boring.
                              I took looking for a new fish under consideration while at the pet store since I introduced the Smith's Fang Blenny I bought a bit ago to my reef earlier this week and I'm pretty sure he slipped his svelte little body into the skimmer box to the pump... and .... blender city.
                              Next time I get a fish that small it will stay in QT until it grows larger... I've never had one die on me at introduction before and all others are happy/healthy so I'm pretty sure that is what happened.
                              He was a skittish little fellow who liked to shoot away and hide at times, but he has not been seen at all since about 30min after intro... I think a regular new fish territory dispute/nosiness made him run into an unsafe place. The End.
                              It would have looked like this had it matured...

...mine was pretty small, and mostly white with only a light blue tinge to the head thus far.
                              I'm debating trying to find another of the same type, hopefully larger o just requiring much more time growing in the QT, before my surgery.
                              Or just going with another fish...
                              I liked that his color was distinct from the other residents, and that he tend to spend time higher in the water column than the others, at least in the QT he tended to.
                              I've lost few fish in the time I've reefed, and never one quickly, always after a few years... It makes me feel bad.

I also wanted goats milk soap from the Vitamin Shoppe place, but they did't carry it.
                              So I'll be ordering some Goat milk, Honey, and Oatmeal, and some Peppermint, Sea Clay, and Shea Butter (no minty goat milk soaps without something like patchouli or rosemary added... meh!) soaps from Amazon.

The xylitol I got is to add to the water w/ lime I drink constantly to keep the old kidneys rinsed out really well and prevent those pesky kidney stones that seem to come to everyone who takes the med I'm on but me. Yes... I pat myself on the back for that.
                              Anyway, that med can cause tooth damage as well, plus sipping on slightly acidic liquid ALL day every day... so, since xylitol is supposed to protect the teeth I figured why not put a little bit in the water. Can't hurt.

While relaxing and watching a movie (I watched half of it last night, and watched the whole thing again tonight) I added a scoop of the chia seeds to a short glass of milk. So yummy.
                              I haven't had any in quite a while, and it was good!
                              Yep, I like the silly slimy/crunchy feel of them. It makes me happy.

The movie I watched was very good.
                              Well... it was good to me. And I'll admit that it wasn't good at all in the mainstream sense.
                              I don't even think it was released in theaters...
                              Here is is. Beginners... Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Melanie Laurent, Goran Visnjic.

Give it a try.
                              It's a beautiful examination of life.

Evidently listening to my massage therapists advice to "take a pain pill and relax this evening" (currently with heating pad) has given me a bit of the meandering typing fingers.
                              Something like ADD diarrhea of the mouth.
                              Irrelevant!
                              And as a bonus you don't have to try and decipher the words as I speak them.

Tomorrow I'm going out to have a look at some new microwave ovens.
                              I'm considering upgrading to one of those Microwave Convection Oven combos.
                              We currently have an old toaster oven and semi-dead microwave... because I hate replacing that stuff.
                              But, I think it might be more convenient to roll them both into one thing, which I can also use for baking smallish dinners for just husband and I instead of the big conventional oven.

I know... that's a terribly exciting thing to decide to get out and "DO" for the weekend. Right.
                              Perhaps more goofing off will ensue...
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I didn't wake up until 3pm today... but since I couldn't sleep until like 5am... whatever.

I went out yesterday to look to convection microwaves... because my OLD microwave is dying.
                                Convection microwaves are kind of tough to find...
                                I also bought some Teal dye to give my hair a littler perk up until I find out when it will be time for the haircut for surgery instead of paying gobs of money for a full "Do" this week... and then have to pay have it half shaved off a couple of weeks later.

I know... that was some really exciting "get out and do something" stuff this weekend, huh!

And in other news...
                                If I don't go take a shower and go to the grocery store no one in my house will get to eat tonight.
                                Husband evidently CARES about this situation.

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X