No announcement yet.

Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm... this falls under the heading of 'learn something new every day'.
    An Iraqi, female fronted, Black Metal band...
    When Black Metal's Anti-Religious Message Gets Turned on Islam - Kim Kelly - The Atlantic
    It seriously never occurred to me that this was a possibility.
    I hate it when I see something and realize that I've had my head up my own ass because of my own "no way" initial reaction to it.
    But on reflection... OF COURSE!
    There is a lot of cultural 'hate' towards women in the areas of the world that have a majority practice of Islam.
    Some people would disagree with that.
    That's why 'hate' is inside those little marks.
    What I call hate, the Muslim man might call protection of cultural values.
    You know... like this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-clothes.html
    That's not part of this discussion.
    That women feel the oppressive and often violent nature of this religious arrangement is inarguable, and well documented.
    And with technology what it is, there would be exposure in some cases to outlets for frustration as Black Metal.
    Heck... it could have been a part of an innocuous sounding 'music' class that was attended at a foreign university.
    It was brought back and started as an an underground rebellion type movement...
    And thus... OF COURSE!

I'm not exactly a fan of Black Metal, but...
    I introduce you to Anahita, and Janaza.

Rock on. You have my respect.
    May the Shia never find/identify you.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• The story I posted earlier reminded me that I needed to revisit a speech/presentation I saw a while back by African novelist Chimamanda Adichie.
      It is called The Single Story, and I watch it again every once in a while to remind myself that the world, and the people in it, is always greater that our own limited perspective of it.
      The message seems a bit simple in some ways, but when I have a reaction like I had to the story earlier I'm reminded that most of the information we get about far off places is very filtered. I had no frame of reference for an underground Back Metal movement in which a woman might participate in a place such as Iraq. But the truth is, I shouldn't need that frame of reference specifically. Historically, wherever there have been fundamentalist religious practices, there have also been underground resistance movements.
      And I need to sink that into my thick and lazy skull.
      And keep it there.

It's worth a gander IMO.
      Last edited by cori93437; 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Today... I was accepted for a consult, and appointment was scheduled, by the neurosurgeon!
        (More later.)
        Or not... having a cruddy tired day.

Last edited by cori93437; 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM.
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• So... HUGE mistake was made this week.
          (Yeah, I'm skipping over the whole I got an appointment thing... I've been feeling like crap lately and not wanting to write anything that causes me to think too much. Appointment with NS is soon, I have less anxiety about getting the appointment of course, but it's just been replaced by anxiety over the initial consult and potential procedures.)

So... mistake.
          BIG, big, big mistake.
          Husband decided that he wanted to go to a live Bellatore MMA fight in Tampa this Friday.
          So he tld me to buy the tickets... because that's how he always does it, and I'm home, and he can't buy them from his work PC.
          And he tells me to have them kept at willcall for pick-up.
          THEN, a day or two later, he tells me that he doesn't think I should go to the fight...
          Fine, whatever... he can take a buddy.
          Except that he had me buy and pay for the tix...
          Which means I HAVE to be the one to pick them up with original purchasing credit card and valid ID.
          Bellator Fighting Championships
          Yep... me and my stupid, suckass, head are going to a live MMA fight.
          I'll survive I'm sure... whether I'm able to actually function for a few days is a different story.
          Last Friday when I went out hubs and I had a quiet dinner then walked around BestBuy a little and I got seriously wonky, and got right to the edge of going into that "hole" where I drool and look like I've stroked out or something. I managed to get to the car at just "the world is completely surreal and my grasp of reality is tenuous". I chilled out, closed my eyes for a while, and came back without getting too far gone.
          A live MMA fight isn't likely to be as easy...
          But hey! It's a welterweight tournament final, welterweight feature fight, and two light heavyweight semifinals on the main card... so if I can manage to remain mostly conscious it should be enjoyable!
          Husband is alternately threatening to either leave me in the car or just pretend not to know me when the EMTs come to drag me off so he can finish watching the fights... Though he says he'll come find me later. *sigh*

My fingers are crossed... you could cross yours for me too if you think about it tomorrow evening.
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• *fingers crossed*
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Toes too, just in case.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• My veins are crossed! (Used that lame one on the younger brother back when I was a kid... he couldn't counter it, ha!)
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I'm ALIVE!
                  By the power of sweet, sweet, narcotics... I'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvve.

Not so sure what's going to happen when they wear off...
                  But I have the sneaky feeling that there will be the sensation of hitting a brick wall involved.
                  I'm pretty sure it's already started to apply itself with some nice warm up thunks to the head...
                  But ... umm... I'm kinda pretty high, and it's hard to care.
                  Ohh... if it could manage to feel exactly like drinking a pan galactic gargle blaster that would be TOPS!

And on the bright side I only had to close my eyes and take drooling "time outs" like 2-3 times or something...
                  OMG, Sofa KING loud! And bright moving lights everywhere and ahhhhhh.
                  Narcotics are good friends sometimes.

Oh... and I ate all those muthafuking mangoes... and I'm gonna lasso that little Debauchery around the throat next time I see her.
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• well here's to fleeting moments of fun! i hope it lasts a while for you.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

• Narcotics LIE. Lie, Lie, Lie, Lie, LIE!
                      Seriously.
                      Lie la lie! Lie la lie lie lie la lie.

I slept all day and, evidently, while I was sleeping I took every hit those MMA guys took in the ring last night.
                      More Lies are a strong possibility.

Also Debauchery followed my husband to the store...
                      And made him bring home cherries!
                      But since they are the only food I'll actually consume today... I'm letting it slide.

Sleep is going to happen again soon most likely.
                      After I'm done heating my head/neck via heating pad... then chilling it out it with Biofreeze and ice packs.

Saorise- I noticed that your new endeavor is off to a good start on Fb. Congratz!
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• It is, better than expected. I think our sales will increase once we have our own customer base; currently because we're sharing a building with another business, our customers are mainly their customers, who tend to be a little more frugal than the customer base we'd like to call our own. If that makes any sense. unfortunately, the building we're currently renting has sold and thus we'll have to move by the end of the summer. I might be optimistic, but i think we'll need a bigger space by then anyway.
                        my primal journal:

Comment

• Wanting customers to be LESS frugal makes total sense!
                          Thinking you'll need more space... Yay!
                          A little optimism never hurt anyone.

Except me maybe. LOL
                          I'm pretty sure that I told husband that I felt better than I expected to in the car on the way home after the fights...
                          His response... a deadpan "Oh yeah?"
                          He knew exactly what was coming.
                          I was full of 'Lies' and ignoring all the signs.
                          I'm better today than yesterday, but still in recovery mode.

Got home from the fights and posted here... because I was a little high and still OK.
                          Went to bed.
                          Woke up at 10am for my Saturday Morning Torture Times...
                          My massage therapist was really unhappy with the state of things KNOTS everywhere.
                          Was given instructions to heat/cold, drink lotsa water, and rest.
                          I started with the heat laying in bed at about 1pm... and woke up at 7pm.
                          Made my way to my recliner... more heat, stretching, cold... ate a whole bag of cherries. (It wasn't a very large bag.)
                          Because dark cherries have wonderful anti-inflammatory properties.
                          Or just because the were handy and delicious.
                          Bemoaned the LIES of narcotics here on the forum... but resisted taking more.
                          Went to bed at about 11pm...
                          Woke up about 11am.

Still ugh.
                          During the fights I told husband at some point that they were just committing physical abuse via subwoofer.
                          I'm standing by that assessment still.

All that said... I actually enjoyed going to the fights and seeing them live.
                          It's the recovery that is awful.
                          And I won't be going and doing anything 'fun' anytime soon...
                          Just me, staying right here in this chair, being very quiet.

Oh yeah... and Ben 'Killa-B' Saunders is pretty awesome!
                          (And an Orlando local... )
                          Last edited by cori93437; 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM.
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• So, I've been researching stuff for making a will.
                            A capital -W- Will.
                            And about an Advance Directive.
                            I mean, I should have those right?
                            Every time I have gone to the hospital for surgery for the past 13 or so years they have asked me about this.
                            And I have always thought, yeah I should probably have one...
                            And then promptly forgot.
                            Because... hello, drugs and recovery and stuff!
                            But... in the spirit of being educated about my situation I've been reading lots of medical journal articles.
                            People die from shunt complications.
                            Infections happen, and poof!
                            And I watched these...

Very educational... and also cringe inducing.

*Edited: Forgot to mention...
                            If you have the type of severe headaches that occasionally wake you from a sound sleep, those may not be the best videos to watch.
                            I dreamed my head was being drill last night, sans anesthesia, and woke up to a pretty normal amount of pain.
                            But the combo of like 'real' imagery and noise of brain surgery, coupled with dream silliness, coupled with a really bad headache...
                            Created some very real panic!
                            And then I fully woke up and realized what a dolt I was being.
                            Unpleasant.

Anyway...
                            Today husband and I were joking about how I will handle the head shaving issues when/if it arises.
                            Will I just shave half and go with a wild colored sort of half mohawk look?
                            Pre-colored and shaven of course... I don't want to deal with an operating room hack job! Been there, done that... they don't even know the meaning if straight line with those clippers. Bad people!
                            What will I do about grow out?
                            How soon after the surgery will I need to have a haircut to tidy things up?
                            Husband suggested that I shave it completely bald and show up to the hospital in an old pair of BDU pants, a GI Jane t-shirt, and complete the look with a pair of Ray-Ban aviators.
                            And it's funny.
                            Beause, I'm really not sure if my head is that nice and round and attractive nekkid, you know?
                            But...

Then there is me, researching burial options so that husband can have an easy step-by-step plan in front of him instead of having to figure these things out on his own.
                            And reminding myself to put a copy of my life insurance plan into the packet so that he doesn't have to jump through hoops to find things.
                            And getting rid of a bunch of old stuff that I don't need so that no one else will have to deal with my crap TOO much 'just in case'.

So far...
                            I've got this.
                            Eternal Reefs, A Cremation Memorial Option

So, I'll be off the coast of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale if things go badly and anyone wants to visit.
                            Sounds like a really good excuse for a nice vacation to me...
                            It's close enough to John Pennekamp State Park to make me happy... nothing has ever been more peaceful and exciting at the same time to me than snorkeling the reef there.
                            It's the main reason that there is this slice of the ocean in a tank here in my living room that I sometimes stare at for hours.
                            Last edited by cori93437; 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM.
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I don't know what to say. But I wanted you to know that I read your post and watched some of the video. It was a little too much for me, but i watched some others after that about intracranial hypertension. I'd gladly visit if we could make the trip.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

• Wow, all that's a little too deep to process on one cup of coffee. Bbackl8r
                                If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Working...
                                X