What's---The name of my journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
    Hey- if you're going to Cancun- does our military still do that "camp follower" thing?

Just asking.

For a friend.
    Didn't the secret service get in trouble for having "camp followers"?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
      Didn't the secret service get in trouble for having "camp followers"?
      Weren't those "friends" for the dignitaries they were protecting? Hmm . . . Oh, wait, I'm not built like that
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
        Yeah, after tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is with a heavy heart that I must call upon our armed forces to establish a permanent military presence in Cancun. We're also thinking of invading some Caribbean islands, I forget which ones... for national security reasons.

Let the drones do the dirty work. We out.
        But whhhhhyyyyyyy.... they medded me out! I can't go back, they won't take me... *sobs*
        I DESERVE to be stationed on a Caribbean Island... secluded from the world, cause I've been BAD.
        I'll be on the dive team and snorkle the reefs checking for terrorists daily!
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          But whhhhhyyyyyyy.... they medded me out! I can't go back, they won't take me... *sobs*
          I DESERVE to be stationed on a Caribbean Island... secluded from the world, cause I've been BAD.
          Executive privilege offers me a lot of power. I think your expertise in snorkel-patrolling will be well rewarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            Executive privilege offers me a lot of power. I think your expertise in snorkel-patrolling will be well rewarded.
            Awesome...
            My cheeks will be SO pink!
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Awesome...
              My cheeks will be SO pink!
              Well, you did mention you had been bad...wait, which cheeks are we talking about here?

Comment

• The kind that face UP when you snorkel!

Every time I go snorkeling I have this experience... bathing suits slip and slide around and I end up with 6 varying shades of pink per side... in various sort of geometric shapes and sizes. Hehehe.
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

The kind that face UP when you snorkel!

Every time I go snorkeling I have this experience... bathing suits slip and slide around and I end up with 6 varying shades of pink per side... in various sort of geometric shapes and sizes. Hehehe.
                  see, I am going to be a gentleman and not say, "pics or it didn't happen". Damn.

Comment

• Game last night was much better, we still got beat, but the kids played much better. 1 struck out once, then hit 2 good line drives right to the second baseman, so there was no chance of him making it to first. The next 2 nights are against the other young teams, so I'm thinking we can win for sure.
                    We're sorting out what all we need for the house and hopefully we can buy a lot of it beforehand. I would like to be able to finance just the structural aspects of the house, you know, the stuff that will actually last the 30 years of the mortgage. I've found that if you buy unfinished vanities and a separate countertop you can save about $100 each, roughly. I'm also checking online for the costs associated with having solar panels...there's only a small section of roof facing south so will it be enough to make a difference on our bill? Obviously, solar power is one of those topics where half the internet says it's great and the other half says it costs too much to be economical. We used 865 Kwh at our house last month, so I think we can use less on a new house with better energy saving features. We usually have low bills compared to other folks because we keep the house warmer/cooler than most in the summer/winter. But if spending a few thousand on solar panels would cut our bill by 50% for the next 10 years, why not do it?

Comment

• I think the last I heard it is something like 18 years to pay off solar assuming you need no new panels etc, which seems unlikely. That said, self-sufficiency is often worth more than the sticker price of the item you are buying. Also, the money in solar (well, savings) seems to be in the tax breaks. Depending on the tax breaks/rebates you can get that 18 year figure probably shrinks dramatically. That said even here in AZ solar does not seem popular. I figured every house would have it but I would say it is closer to 1 in 10 perhaps 1 in 8.

Now, I am sure you are all up on this but I have heard there are some high tech insulations now that can save you major bank on utility bills. I have no idea of the upfront costs but it might be worth checking out as well.

Comment

• Yeah, I think the federal savings are 30%, I'm not sure if there are in state tax breaks for it, I'll check.
                        I think I'm going to spend the time and money to make the house a "5-star energy" house or whatever it's called. It's really not that expensive, just time consuming. You have to do things like caulk the sheetrock cracks before they finished them, put the aluminum foil looking wrap around the electrical outlet boxes, and then there's a certain amount of insulation, inches deep wise, that is required. It's more than what I've mentioned, but all in all costs like maybe an extra $1000. I don't have to have enough solar power to be completely off the grid, just enough to save me some $ on bills would be awesome.

***quick search shows no Alabama tax credit for solar, but a tax credit for burning firewood for heating. Ahh, the beautiful backwards south.
                        Last edited by justyouraveragecavemen; 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                          ***quick search shows no Alabama tax credit for solar, but a tax credit for burning firewood for heating. Ahh, the beautiful backwards south.
                          just tell them the sun is a big fire and watch the tax breaks roll in

Comment

ME TOOO!!!

You probably don't need this in the south, but what about a wood burning central boiler? It heats the house and works as a water heater. Or geothermal.

The only thing in our house that runs on gas is our furnace, so monthly, our gas bill is only $44 (we're on the budget plan where we pay out all year and they "save" our payments for the winter). That being said, we use, easily, 1400 kwh of electricity a month. I hate it. I'd like to get one of those house sized wind turbine thingies for my house.

But then again, I'd also like to go completely off the grid and be self-sustaining - grow my own food, produce my own electricity, etc...
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                              You probably don't need this in the south, but what about a wood burning central boiler? It heats the house and works as a water heater. Or geothermal.

The only thing in our house that runs on gas is our furnace, so monthly, our gas bill is only $44 (we're on the budget plan where we pay out all year and they "save" our payments for the winter). That being said, we use, easily, 1400 kwh of electricity a month. I hate it. I'd like to get one of those house sized wind turbine thingies for my house.

But then again, I'd also like to go completely off the grid and be self-sustaining - grow my own food, produce my own electricity, etc...
                              Well, when our plans called for a basement I actually mentioned having a wood burning stove put into the basement. The wife wasn't a huge fan of it. I remember having to go outside during the winter to get firewood at my parent's house, but a heater in the basement? You wouldn't have to get cold to get wood. We're all electric as far as central unit goes, but might switch to gas for water heater and heat. There's a plan for our utility company where they average last year's bill and charge you a set amount per month, it's better for budgeting that way, then at the end of the year they either bill you for your overages or reimburse you for your savings. I like that idea.

Comment

• We ended up replacing the condenser unit last year. One thing we've found out by happy accident in getting a larger unit than you need, while expensive at the outset, creates cheaper electricity bills. We have a 4 ton unit for a house that could easily get by on a 3 ton unit. Between that and a shit ton of insulation in the roof and on the A/C/ furnace pipes, the AC rarely kicks on. We keep it set at 76*, it gets up to 105* most of the summer, and it only kicks on maybe 4 times during the workday and stays on for maybe 15 min each time. Our electrical bill plummeted after we fixed the insulation and replaced the condenser unit that had been wanting to die since the day we moved in. we're talking cut in half.
                                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X