• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    YOU'RE A GUY!!! lol
    See, now you are just oppressing me.

Comment

• If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• The next few nights we've got baseball games, almost all 8pm games, about 45 mins to an hour from home, so super suck on the late nights. Our bathroom vanity is in and bathroom painted, it looks pretty dang good if you ask me. All that's left is crown molding, which I hope to pick up today.
        I'm slowly accumulating note cards for my first CPA exam (I had a stack for the CMA exam that was probably 4"-5" tall of 3"X5: note cards), I can't concentrate at work with you people out there, waiting with baited breath to hear every word I've got to say and the interwebz connection at home with our old laptop is shoddy at best. I need to bring my earbuds to work, I don't think my boss will mind, since it's for the CPA exam. I'll tell him he's my inspiration in life, that will make it OK to do at work.
        I'm going coyote hunting in the morning with my younger cousin, hopefully it won't be too freaking hot by sunrise. I hope to kill one, first off because the guy whose land we'll be on would appreciate it, second because I want to tan it's hide. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with a tanned coyote hide yet, but it sounds fun to do. I can't wait for deer season as I hope to make buckskin from deer hides as well. Coyote hides will be good practice.

An update on the job front: I turned my resume in for the comptroller job that's super close to where we're going to live, but I really don't think I'm ready for that job. I know my limitations and head accountant is not where I'm at now...I think I could probably do it, but it would be long hours until I figured out what all needed to be done. But I would seriously ride a bicycle to work...and it would be a couple miles from where the kids are going to school too. Awesome opportunity, hope it comes up again in a year or so.
        I also put in for an accountant job at a place about halfway between my house and where I work now. That wouldn't be too bad once I moved, by backroads it would take maybe 30 mins to get to that job and that's about what it takes to this job. If that description isn't too wordy to understand.
        Also, I don't think I've mentioned this, I'm saving up my odd and end money to buy lumber to build a cabin at our creek lot. I have a cousin that is something of a carpenter and he's going to pitch in monetarily as well. I'm also got enough saved to begin it and, hopefully, the rest of the family will pitch in time or money to help out, since it will be a family used place anyway. I think I'm going to post pictures of the progress once it starts.
        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• have you seen the show Mountain Men or Wilderness Men or something like that? It's about these people who live off the wilderness. They grow their own food, hunt their own meat, fight off bears, the whole works. I want a life like that. Your cabin building story made me think of it.
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

have you seen the show Mountain Men or Wilderness Men or something like that? It's about these people who live off the wilderness. They grow their own food, hunt their own meat, fight off bears, the whole works. I want a life like that. Your cabin building story made me think of it.
            Funny you mention that, I saw an advertisement for it last night after swamp people. I think I'm going to start recording it, but really, I just want to watch the Appalachian guy, that's more my territory. I don't see myself wanting to be a mountain man in the Rockies or Alaska.

Comment

• I think Alaska man is crazy. He leaves his wife and daughter every winter to fly 2 hours north of his home to stay in a cabin. Too effing cold for me! Rocky Man... is he the one with the massive house in the woods who gets bears in his front yard and is always looking for his dog? or is that Appalachian man?

Comment

• I wonder if I could make it that long by myself. I have a great desire to go camping and not take food, just necessities like matches, fishing pole, skillet, knives, hammock, etc. and see if I can make it for 3-4 days without talking to anyone. I could do this at our creek lot mentioned above, but we've got electricity, city water, what looks to be an outhouse (but really has a toilet and sink in it), and a pavilion for shelter...that's not exactly roughing it. Plus, my cousins live at the top of the hill, maybe a 3/4 mile up the road, and they would be down there hanging out with me. I want to rough it, alone.

Comment

• Get a cabin in Canada. That's what I want to do. Or to go to Alaska and do the same in the summer months.

Comment

Get a cabin in Canada. That's what I want to do. Or to go to Alaska and do the same in the summer months.
                    Flies. Very big flies. And mosquitoes that carry off small children. *shudder* no thanks.

I plan on building a "Thoreau House" on my property . . . when I get it. A very, very basic cabin that I can retreat to when I've had it with the world. Maybe a proper cabin, maybe one of the awesome hobbit-house type things I've seen- but in either case, just the very, very basics.
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                      Flies. Very big flies. And mosquitoes that carry off small children. *shudder* no thanks.

I plan on building a "Thoreau House" on my property . . . when I get it. A very, very basic cabin that I can retreat to when I've had it with the world. Maybe a proper cabin, maybe one of the awesome hobbit-house type things I've seen- but in either case, just the very, very basics.
                      Live simply.

Comment

Live simply.
                        I'd totally live somewhere like that now if my Mom would do my laundry like his did
                        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                          Or you could go Neil Gaiman style and build a gazebo with removable windows for winter and poor weather. Neil Gaiman's Journal: In which the author goes for a walk and then tries to answer some of the things in the mailbag
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• He stole that idea from . . . ummmm . . . Twain? I dunno. But it's worth considering stealing it from him

Comment

• I was with him up until the electric fences to keep bears out...

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                                I was with him up until the electric fences to keep bears out...
                                Who? Neil Gaiman? or one of the guys on the wilderness show? One of them puts up a bear fence because a vet or a park ranger told him to.

Comment

Working...
                                X