No announcement yet.

What's---The name of my journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap you young folk. Born in 1988? Your earliest memories are my high school years. 1975 represent!

oh, and you kids today! *grumble grumble!*

Comment

• Uh oh... looks like I'm the cougar in the house!
      RAWR!
      1973... *sigh*
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Born in 85, and nowhere near old or young.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          Uh oh... looks like I'm the cougar in the house!
          RAWR!
          1973... *sigh*
          Cougar huh? *thoughtful pause* *still pausing*

*still pausing*
          If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• 1984. around '97 is when i sport of started paying attention to pop culture and music. i remember when kurt cobain died, '94 maybe? my brother cried and was moody for days. still don't necessarily believe it was a suicide.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• 1983 here. I remember being annoyed in school that Russia couldn't decide whether they were Russia or the Soviet Union or what. Other than that, I seldom paid attention to what was going on. Although I do have a hard time (but getting easier) telling the difference between music from the 60s, 70s,and particularly 80s and 90s apart since I was introduced to it all at the same time.
              http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• my dad loves music and we were constantly surrounded by it in his house. mostly later 60s-70s and a little of the later years. i associate music more with whomever introduced it to me rather than the era.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                  1983 here. I remember being annoyed in school that Russia couldn't decide whether they were Russia or the Soviet Union or what. Other than that, I seldom paid attention to what was going on. Although I do have a hard time (but getting easier) telling the difference between music from the 60s, 70s,and particularly 80s and 90s apart since I was introduced to it all at the same time.
                  Ditto. I remember the USSR, Russia, the split (whaddaya mean more countries in Europe that I hafta memorize). I was raised on the 60s- "current" music, along with a heavy dash of classical and jazz. I still have trouble differentiating between the rock eras and between instrumental rock, classical, and jazz.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                    i associate music more with whomever introduced it to me rather than the era.
                    I associate music more with girls/emotions/memories than eras of the music, because listened to old and new songs. Some songs remind me of a time when I was smitten with this girl or that (George Strait), some songs remind me of summertime (Buffett), some songs remind me of happy times (Skynyrd), some of sad (everyone has a sad song). Sometimes songs make me remember smells. Here's a classic from drinking on backroads.

This song reminds me of trips to the Tennessee line where there was a beer joint with a drive thru window (yes, yes I did say drive thru). Once I got in with the owner and he would sell to me, I had to make a trip or two up there during the week to stay fresh in his mind.

Comment

• I don't want to threadjack with way too much musical reminiscence, since Finnegans Wake, Inc. was founded in 1964, but I agree that specific songs and artists can transport me to specific time frames, memories, and moods. Mom used to play the Beatles Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour albums when she did Saturday cleaning. She also loved opera, and my step-father was a jazz afficianado (had a radio show for 30 years, got lots of promo stuff, some of it rock that wound up in my collection). The 70s was all about classic rock and disco, and then punk (the real stuff) came in ~1977, but like most kids it took me a while to catch up to what that was all about. New wave was sort of punk lite, but that was the gateway drug. The 1980s were largely a pile of suck, made all the more pungent by the fact that I worked in several record stores as a young slubberdegullion. The nascent rap movement was fun, plus I got into more experimental stuff and just generally became more eclectic. My playlist back then might include a morning thump of James Brown, a healthy rotation of Iggy and the Stooges (still in rotation!), Einstein on the Beach, Butthole Surfers, Dead Kennedys, Big Science, Ramones, Gun Club, Television, Miles Davis, Throbbing Gristle, Stockhausen... By the 90s, I was moving on in terms of who I was hanging with, and most of my friends were ~6 years younger. They were all into Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, and I was a bit jaded about them, but after a while I started to like that even if I saw the original source inspirations. I kept getting more eclectic, adding Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, and the second wave industrial stuff like Ministry, NiN, RevCo.

I have to admit that over the past 10-15 years my uptake of newer stuff has placed me directly in the codger category. Too much music now just sounds... weak, uninspired, fucking maudlin emo shit, or rap that has long since lost its appeal, or glossy pop that sounds like music to get enemas to. Some stuff still tickles me fancy though: Black Keys, some White Stripes, the Kills (Fuck the People!), and I've recently re-discovered how brilliant the Allman Brothers Band is, so that led to some of their offshoots like the Tedeski-Trucks Band.

Still trying to get all my CDs to MP3, and have a ton of vinyl that is taking a long time to transition over.

Comment

• Most of my musical nostalgia at this point is kind of negative. There is some music that I listened to in my mid-teens that I cannot listen to now, it brings back too much negativity. There is other music from that time period that makes me feel good and especially reminds me of being outside (walking to and from school, vacations in Maine) that I still listen to. There is even music that I associate with the beginning of my relationship with Boyfriend (almost 2.5 yrs ago now). I look forward to discovering "new" music (to me) and making more associations.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Wow, FW, that's quite a list. I agree that music today is weak and lame. I like country music, not really any of it going on today. I found it very ironic when Ashton Kutcher was blamed for making fun of country music by wearing a Nudie type suit to an awards show, hello? Is anyone awake folks? Today's country is shoddy pop. Today's rock will NEVER be labeled classic rock. Today's rap, well, just sucks. You can be a pop singer if you're pretty and/or a teenage boy. Personal image should never ever be a deciding factor in music, hell, singing well isn't a per-requisite for a great band/singer (Hello there Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty). Let me hear someone that has a cool sound OUTSIDE of a recording studio.

Now, this is music friends and neighbors. Complete with little screw-ups and quick tunings of a guitar. This man makes a guitar talk, to me anyways. I wish I was a piano player that could also make sweet love to a guitar like him.

Comment

• Wish the song was blocked out at work. But agree in general with the idea that pitch-perfect gloss does not make a great singer: David Byrne said that having a great voice means you can't trust the person singing, which makes sense.

Comment

• The other thing about music concerns the migration of media... Growing up in the vinyl era was super cool. You'd guy buy a used LP, some Black Sabbath thing, and it would smell like someone's bedroom where a ton of pot had been smoked. The fresh albums had this crazy new ink smell that was like some olfactory component. The cover art was big enough to matter. The order of songs was important, and it was one reason so many prog bands and art rockers constructed suites of inter-related songs. Even when songs weren't intended to be "suites," you had to listen in the order they were laid down on wax, and sometimes they became ad hoc suites just by virtue of juxtaposition. The last 3 songs of the first Ramones album have nothing to do with each other, but you hear the feedback just barely die off from Let's Dance (some 50s remake) before they kick into I Don't Wanna Walk Around with You before throwing fucking sonic slabs of concrete directly at your head with Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World, to the point that I crave listening to those songs together. Ditto the first three tracks off of the Stooges Fun House, which just build from the slinky predator cat sound of Down on the Street to the unzipped libido of Loose to the burnt guitar brashness of TV Eye. Fucking Funhouse, it's the id unleashed. Mrs. FW and I went out with some of our lesbian friends to some bar (where I was handed my ass at billiards), and I played 1970 from Fun House. The ladies were not pleased by Iggy's id, apparently.

The other cool thing was that lots of LPs came with posters and big-assed booklets. Instant room deco.

Everything's a la carte now, which is what it is. But like if you look up the cover art that outfits like Hipgnosis used to roll out on a regular basis, it was just fun to look at that shit and wonder WTF it was all about.

Comment

• Hi JYACM,

For guitar playing these guys are pretty amazing. If you are home alone I suggest turning it up and let it wash over you.

Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X