From Civilization to Caveman - Skorpion317's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy - time for an update.

All was well for me until Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast. I live in NJ, which got hit pretty bad. No flooding for me (I don't live near the coast), but we did lose power for a week. Kind of hard to stay Paleo when your fridge doesn't work.

I had a bunch of "on" and "off" days in the weeks afterward. I was going to make a concerted effort to get back on track. The universe conspired against me, however. I was playing in my family's traditional Thanksgiving football game, rocking my VFFs and kicking ass. Then I badly sprained my toe while covering an opposing receiver. Maybe the VFFs weren't such a good idea.

The sprain hurt like hell. My toe got all swollen and purple. I could barely walk for over a week. Even just standing hurt. Working out was out of the question - no weight lifting, no Brazilian jiu-jitsu, no sprints. Not good. It still hurts a little even now, if I put pressure on it a certain way.

My diet went completely off the rails. I've been eating crap SAD stuff for the past couple months. I ballooned up to about 245 lbs. Not cool. I knew I had to go back to eating right. Thankfully, my town provided some extra incentive. They're running a "100-day weight loss challenge" with a couple other surrounding towns. Winner gets a $100 Visa gift card. The first weigh-in was Monday, 2/4/13. The other "competitors" I saw when I weighed in were mostly middle-age or older people, some with health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I should have no problem winning this. Cocky? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure that eating Paleo/Primal gives me a significant advantage. We were given an information packet that included stuff from the government's "MyPlate" program. I hope that after I win, I'm given the chance to explain how I did it. I'll start by tearing up the MyPlate paper.

In other news, my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child, a boy, due in May. Our 1st son is now 19 months old. He's the best kid - I could not be prouder of him. He's starting to piece together two-word sentences ("Hi dada!" - whenever he sees me. "Get you!" - when we play chasing games). I can't imagine what it will be like with two little boys running around.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

One month in to the weight loss challenge, and I've dropped 20 lbs. so far. That's a little over 7% of my starting weight. Last year's winner lost 13% of their starting weight, so I'm already more than halfway there with 2 months to go.

I'm lifting again - I'm not too far off of my previous 5RM and 3RM weights. The weather here in NJ has been screwy - it'll be 50 degrees during the week, then drop into the 20s or low 30s on the weekend. Not conducive to sprinting. I can't wait for spring.

Comment

The weight loss challenge continues. I'm down a total of 25 lbs, a little over 10% of my starting weight. There's a mid-contest weigh-in on April 9th to check everyone's progress. I expect to be in the low 200's by then, if not 200 lbs. flat.

I'm concerned about losing muscle. I've lost a few lbs. of muscle since I started, although I've been regaining my previous strength quickly. I decided to do a Leangains protocol to see if that helps. I started today. No issues with fasting, as I've experimented with IF before. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Quick update - The Leangains-style IF wasn't really working for me, although it may have been due to the need for a leptin reset. I may try it again later, but for now I've resumed my normal eating routine.

The subject of Paleolithic humans and the world they lived in has always interested me, which might explain why a Paleo diet appealed and made sense to me. I was doing some reading about the various animals that existed in Ice Age Europe (I'm an American of European descent), and I'm amazed that ancient humans not only survived encounters with some of these animals, but actively hunted them. And considering they were using wooden spears with stone or bone points, or atlatls with thinner darts, it's pretty clear that ancient humans were total badasses. Here's some of the Ice Age European fauna:

Cave bear:

These bears were comparable in size to the largest modern-day brown and polar bears. Males could weigh up to 1100 lbs. Humans may have hunted them occasionally, and also competed with them for living space in caves. (I own some cave bear teeth - really cool to hold something so ancient!)

Cave lion:

Ranged from Europe all the way east across Asia to Alaska. Up to 10% larger than modern-day African lions. Cave art suggests they hunted in packs, as modern African lions do. They preyed mostly on reindeer and other plains animals, but they also may have ventured into caves to attack hibernating cave bears. They were hunted by ancient humans, their remains being found in the refuse piles of ancient camp sites.

Cave hyena:

Much larger than modern hyenas. They mainly hunted wild horses, along with bison and woolly rhinoceros. Cave lion and bear remains have also been found in cave hyena dens, indicating they either scavenged on them or killed them. They stole kills from Neanderthals. Fossil evidence shows ancient humans hunted them.

Woolly mammoth:

The most famous Ice Age animal. About the same size as an African elephant. They were hunted and scavenged upon by ancient humans and Neanderthals. Their bones were used for art, musical instruments, dwelling construction, even burial rituals. The last mammoths survived until 4,000 years ago, on Wrangel Island near Siberia. This was about the time the pyramids were built in Ancient Egypt.

Irish Elk:

One of the largest deer that ever lived, its antlers alone could span up to 12 feet and could weigh 90 lbs. The animal itself stood almost 7 feet tall at the shoulders and could weigh up to 1,500 lbs. Ranged from Ireland to Siberia. They died out 7,700 years ago.

Aurochs:

The ancestor of modern cows. They were larger than most modern cattle breeds, weighing up to 3,300 lbs. They were hunted by ancient humans, probably using pitfall traps. The last known aurochs died of natural causes in 1627 in Poland. Modern Spanish Fighting Bulls are similar in appearance, but smaller.

Comment

good to see someone who had a similar weight to start with succeeding. i started at 333 and am 270. i want to be 220 or so. cheers to you
            a
            SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 291 LW 254 GW 220

Comment

Originally posted by Millersoontobelite View Post
              good to see someone who had a similar weight to start with succeeding. i started at 333 and am 270. i want to be 220 or so. cheers to you
              a
              Keep up the good work!

Comment

I received my first promotion in Brazilian jiu-jitsu! I got my first stripe on my white belt. There are generally 4 stripes to be attained as your skill level progresses. I still have a lot of learning to do.

I've been hovering around 216 lbs. for the past couple weeks. I've decided to tighten up my diet and go 100% Paleo. I only really have to cut out dairy, since that was the only non-paleo thing I eat/drink.

Comment

I had a couple of cheat meals last week. Not happy about it, but I got it out of my system. I'll hopefully break through my 215-lb. plateau this week.

My town's 100-day weight loss challenge is having a weigh-in today, the half way point, to check everyone's progress. I'm expecting to be far ahead of everyone else, despite my plateau issues.

My BJJ gym is having an in-house tournament on Saturday, April 13th that I entered. I'll get to test my skills in a competition setting. They'll be matching contestants up by belt rank.

Comment

My jiu-jitsu tournament went pretty well. I won my first match by decision. I lost the next match, tapping out to a choke. I was happy to win just one match. We were given a chance for another match to get some more experience in. I immediately volunteered, and the guy who took second place in my division (white belt) stepped up. The match started, and we tied up. My opponent pulled guard, and I followed him to the mat. We each worked for position. He attempted a choke with his shin called a gogoplata. I was unaware that his shin was across my throat - I thought his leg was behind my head. It was a jumble of arms and legs. I pressured forward, intending to use my weight to keep him pinned to the mat, when I heard a loud "POP". My opponent yelled out "Tap tap tap!" I had twisted his knee. I won by submission due to injury. I felt bad, but he turned out to be OK. He didn't tear anything and could walk fine. A crappy way to win, but sh*t happens.

I'm trying to hit my goal weight of 185 by the end of my town's weight loss challenge. I'm a couple days ahead of schedule, which is good. I should have that $100 locked up no problem. It ends May 14th. Wish me luck!

Comment

Big update - my 2nd child was born! My wife was scheduled for a C-section today (May 7th), but our son apparently had other ideas. My wife went into labor on April 25th, and had the baby via C-section. Mom and baby are both doing fine. He's very cute, and our 1st son (22 months old) is great with him. I'm so proud!

I ate some crappy food during the couple days we spent in the hospital and gained a few pounds, so my goal of 185 lbs. by the end of my town's weight loss challenge won't be happening. It ends next week, May 13th. I should be in the mid-190s by that point.

I hit new deadlift PRs - 5RM is 355 lbs., 3RM is 370 lbs. According to this chart (Weight Training Chart) my 1RM is 400 lbs. My squat has gone up as well - 5RM is 255, 3RM is 270, for a 1RM of 290 lbs. My bench stalled a bit - my 5RM was 200, 3RM 215. I moved up to 205/220, respectively, but was only able to get 1 rep each in 2 sets at 220. I moved back down to 200/215, and missed on my last rep of my 2nd set at 215. I then went down to 195/210. I've worked my way back up to 200/215, hopefully I won't stall out again at 205/220.

Comment

Well, it's official - I won the weight loss challenge! My total weight lost during the 100 days was 50.2 lbs. I weighed in at 247.8 at the beginning, and weighed out at 197.6 lbs. I'm really just glad I got myself back on track. Maybe I'll use my $100 winnings to buy some nice grass-fed beef!

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317 View Post
                          Well, it's official - I won the weight loss challenge! My total weight lost during the 100 days was 50.2 lbs. I weighed in at 247.8 at the beginning, and weighed out at 197.6 lbs. I'm really just glad I got myself back on track. Maybe I'll use my $100 winnings to buy some nice grass-fed beef!
                          Wow, that is great. The $100 is nice, I am sure, but 50 pounds in 100 days? Damn, just damn.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                            Wow, that is great. The $100 is nice, I am sure, but 50 pounds in 100 days? Damn, just damn.
                            I never should have gained those 50 lbs. in the first place. But they made me $100 richer, so it's not all bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X