Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jac View Post
    The shotgun approach - yeah. I think they also assume that someone of your Dad's age must have heaps of medical problems, so they try to medicate everything they see instead of figuring out what causes some of the symptoms. If you take stress and terrible food out of the equation, get the person to where they're happiest, include some movement and really nourishing food, lots of the 'symptoms' magically vanish.
    Yeah, fancy that. But the chemical soup that must be going on in his bloodstream right now is scary. He's on Cumadin (blood thinner) Bumax (diuretic) Amiodarone (beta blocker (?) Jac?) and Digoxin for the heart rate. I wonder if so many chemicals can manage to get along with one another. Ick.

    Well, I have moved my computer, my bose stereo, and my vitamix downstairs to my Dad's. Settling in for the long haul. I took all the food out of my fridge and consolidated the two and then unplugged my fridge. Crap. It kind of felt like, when I just had a few things here, I could pretend that he was going to get well and this was just temporary.

    Resignation sucks.

    Comment


    • *big hugs*

      I'm thinking of you and your dad, Robin.

      Comment


      • Reality is a bitch! Best wishes to you and your dad
        link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

        Comment


        • Amiodarone is a class III anti-arrhythmic. It has some beta-blocking actions but isn't a beta blocker. They're pretty easy to tell as they all end in 'lol' - metoprolol, atenolol, etc.
          My Journal

          Comment


          • My grandfather had the same type of dementia. Thinking of you. Your dad is lucky to have you there, and although it's not easy, I'm glad you have this time with him.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

            Owly's Journal

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Goldie View Post
              *big hugs*
              I'm thinking of you and your dad, Robin.
              Thank you, Goldie.

              Originally posted by jacmac View Post
              Reality is a bitch! Best wishes to you and your dad
              Thanks, Jackie.

              Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
              Amiodarone is a class III anti-arrhythmic. It has some beta-blocking actions but isn't a beta blocker. They're pretty easy to tell as they all end in 'lol' - metoprolol, atenolol, etc.
              We were just at the cardiologist's office today and they decided to add yet another ingredient to the chemical soup, the metoprolol you mentioned. They did this becaudse his heart rate was high in the office. Yeah, he just walked further than he has in a couple of months, and he doesn't really understand what is happening around him with all the bright lights and people in scrubs bustling everywhere. So they give him another pill. Great.

              The cardiologist (actually a nurse practitioner) we saw today had a classic CW poster on her wall entitled "Heart Attack on a Plate" with pictures of evil things like red meat and butter and a salt shaker. In conversation, it came out that she is a vegetarian. She was asking about my Dad's diet so I told her about Primal and how it had lowered his blood pressure and gotten him off of two BP meds. She was trying to write the word "paleo" down for further study but had to ask how to spell it. When I said "Paleo, as in Paleolithic", she said, "Oh, so then you eat like a dinosaur". Major eyeroll.

              Originally posted by Owly View Post
              My grandfather had the same type of dementia. Thinking of you. Your dad is lucky to have you there, and although it's not easy, I'm glad you have this time with him.
              Thank you, Owly. As you know, the weird thing about it is that it is so random. Sometimes he knows exactly what is going on and sometimes he can't zip his own pants. And it comes and goes with the changing breeze so it seems.

              Comment


              • Robin, just a random thought... how close is your dad to eating the keto/epilepsy nutrition like you are? I know you cook for him, but you've also said that he eats some other things that he likes.

                I just wondered, because the keto nutrition helps with neurological processing, that it might help him to eat 100% like you are.

                I also know how difficult it is to deal with someone who's thinking isn't always logical (my mom had Alzheimer's), so trying to get him to eat only certain things might be difficult. And knowing you, you've probably already got him on a really good eating plan.

                Comment


                • [QUOTE=Paleobird;987177] She was trying to write the word "paleo" down for further study but had to ask how to spell it. When I said "Paleo, as in Paleolithic", she said, "Oh, so then you eat like a dinosaur". QUOTE]

                  Being the perpetual smart alec I am... I would have told her that she is the one that eats like a dinosaur (since a good many of them were plant eaters) but I eat like the caveman that ate the dinosaurs..... but hey I'm sarcastic, what can I say!

                  I enjoy reading your blog... but am sad that your father is so ill.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    Robin, just a random thought... how close is your dad to eating the keto/epilepsy nutrition like you are? I know you cook for him, but you've also said that he eats some other things that he likes.

                    I just wondered, because the keto nutrition helps with neurological processing, that it might help him to eat 100% like you are.

                    I also know how difficult it is to deal with someone who's thinking isn't always logical (my mom had Alzheimer's), so trying to get him to eat only certain things might be difficult. And knowing you, you've probably already got him on a really good eating plan.
                    He is eating just basic Primal. He wants things that are easy to chew so that means a lot of seafood and, if it's red meat, something made with ground meat like meatloaf or meatballs. At this point in his life, I just want his food to be uncomplicated, non-threatening, easy to understand, no surprises. Pushing for strict keto would be such unfamiliar territory. He sometimes can't find his way around his own house. I want food to be easy for him. I do try to work in higher fat content whenever I can like coconut oil in the mashed parsnips or coconut cream in the beef stock for a soup.

                    [QUOTE=ssn679doc;987640]
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    She was trying to write the word "paleo" down for further study but had to ask how to spell it. When I said "Paleo, as in Paleolithic", she said, "Oh, so then you eat like a dinosaur". QUOTE]

                    Being the perpetual smart alec I am... I would have told her that she is the one that eats like a dinosaur (since a good many of them were plant eaters) but I eat like the caveman that ate the dinosaurs..... but hey I'm sarcastic, what can I say!

                    I enjoy reading your blog... but am sad that your father is so ill.
                    Thank you. Yes, I bit back a couple of sarcastic remarks about paleo being a bit more advanced evolutionarily than eating like gorillas (vegetarians).

                    Comment


                    • I totally understand wanting to feed him what he's most comfortable with. My grandfather only wanted very familiar food, to the point that he rejected foods he had learned to enjoy later in life. The more comfortable and familiar everything was, the better he was, not just with foods. Sometimes it seemed like his symptoms were less when he had all that stuff, I think because it was the least stressful.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                      Owly's Journal

                      Comment


                      • Is this Vacular dementia that your father has, Robin?
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                        Comment


                        • Sure enough, making that move isn't easy. You will transition, and this will be a new normal, and joy will come in that.

                          Until then, it's just working with the grief of change.

                          Might I also recommend a boyfriend? When you get to new-normal. I suggest it. Stress reliever.

                          Comment


                          • Casual boyfriend, btw. I recommend someone in his 30s not looking for anything really but some fun. THat's the stress reliever part.

                            Comment


                            • I'm so sorry, Robin -- I think you have quite the understanding support group here - as many of us are in the same situation, have just passed through it or are seeing it very close on the horizon. You seem to be handling it well, and its very obvious you are a loving and devoted daughter. I'm sure you're dad appreciates all that you do, even when he isn't able to express it.

                              Blessings on you and your dad.......... I will keep you both in my prayers.
                              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion
                              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                                I totally understand wanting to feed him what he's most comfortable with. My grandfather only wanted very familiar food, to the point that he rejected foods he had learned to enjoy later in life. The more comfortable and familiar everything was, the better he was, not just with foods. Sometimes it seemed like his symptoms were less when he had all that stuff, I think because it was the least stressful.
                                Yes, exactly. The mental stress factor has to be managed as well as the dietary stuff.

                                Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                                Is this Vacular dementia that your father has, Robin?
                                According to the neurologist, this is called "Multi Infarct Dementia" caused by a cluster of small strokes.

                                Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                Sure enough, making that move isn't easy. You will transition, and this will be a new normal, and joy will come in that.
                                Until then, it's just working with the grief of change.
                                Might I also recommend a boyfriend? When you get to new-normal. I suggest it. Stress reliever.
                                Casual boyfriend, btw. I recommend someone in his 30s not looking for anything really but some fun. THat's the stress reliever part.
                                The new normal is explaining the basic details of his life to him *every night* like what his wife's name was, how many children he has (and that I am one of them) and what our names are, where he is, what he has been through medically recently. The other night, he thought we were on the island of Catalina (off the California coast near LA) and that if we didn't get a move on we were going to miss the last ferry back to the mainland. Hoo boy. That was interesting.

                                And yes, there is some grief involved. Imagine if your beloved father forgot your birthday. That would hurt. Now imagine that he forgot your very existence. All the intellectually knowing that "it is the stroke talking" in the world does not stop there from being a moment of pain every time that happens.

                                As far as a boyfriend, I don't have the mental time or energy right now to bother. If I need that kind of stress relief, there are always batteries.

                                Originally posted by tomi View Post
                                I'm so sorry, Robin -- I think you have quite the understanding support group here - as many of us are in the same situation, have just passed through it or are seeing it very close on the horizon. You seem to be handling it well, and its very obvious you are a loving and devoted daughter. I'm sure you're dad appreciates all that you do, even when he isn't able to express it.

                                Blessings on you and your dad.......... I will keep you both in my prayers.
                                Thank you, Tomi.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X