Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• I had gone through the post. One of my friend is also interesting to do adventures and he is liking Paleobird's adventures alot. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.

Comment

• Hugs, Robin - from me and I'm sure many others around the world who appreciate you and what you put out into the world. Best wishes to you both.
        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Thinking of you and hoping for good time with your dad and comfort for you both.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• (((hugs))))
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• *what Quelsen said*

Comment

• That is definitely scary. Hopefully, the medication will sort him out, and he'll be up and about in short order!

And, I do agree that it's safe to say that you are doing everything that you said you would, and bringing your dad great joy in his life (and always have). Dads are really special, and both of you know that, right?

Take good care of yourselves, and know that we're thinking of you!

Comment

• As part of today's chores with my girls, I went through the house collection of oversized teddy bears and giant teddy dogs and teddy assorted other super-sized animals - here's a big, warm, fuzzy hug from all of them to both of you.

HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                    Sending love. Dads: they're precious. My own father is on a similar path and I am not close enough to hold his hand. I'm sure your being there is a huge comfort to your dad. It's not an easy thing, that's for sure. So, sending love.
                    Even when you're fifty, you're still Daddy's little girl.

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                    Oh Robin, I'm sorry honey.
                    I've been where you are and it sucks. I got nothing, just know that I'm thinking of you. xxx
                    Thanks, Em.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    You dad is lucky to have you at this time in his life. Good luck to you both.
                    I feel lucky to have had such a great Dad all these years. I know not everybody does.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    Bless your heart, you're a great daughter.Both of you are in our prayers.
                    Thank you, Judy.

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                    ^ What they said. You're doing exactly what you said you would do - being there, sharing the last years with your dad, loving him. Sadness is a part of the package, and I know you can 'hold' your distress so you can continue to be there for him. Sending heaps of love from over the sea (and hope that the meds will help).
                    I think the meds will "stabilize things" but I think there also has been some damage done.

Originally posted by meeme View Post
                    You have a wonderful support system Robin, both here and there. You're in my thoughts and if it's his time to transition you are a wonderful person and daughter to want to help him.
                    It feels good to be able to vent here in the anonymity of cyberspace. I appreciate everyone's caring.

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    All the best for you and your dad.
                    Thanks NW, Great new doo, BTW.

Originally posted by Quies View Post
                    Just remember to take care of yourself as well. Best wishes.
                    Good point. I'll try but my sleep is not as good as I would like.

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                    Thinking of you.
                    Thanks, Magic.

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                    Hugs, Robin - from me and I'm sure many others around the world who appreciate you and what you put out into the world. Best wishes to you both.
                    Aw, Sigi, thank you.

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    Thinking of you and hoping for good time with your dad and comfort for you both.
                    Thanks, Owly.

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                    (((hugs))))
                    Back atcha Honey Badger. (I bet you give an awesome hug)

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    *what Quelsen said*
                    Thanks, Goldie.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                    That is definitely scary. Hopefully, the medication will sort him out, and he'll be up and about in short order!
                    And, I do agree that it's safe to say that you are doing everything that you said you would, and bringing your dad great joy in his life (and always have). Dads are really special, and both of you know that, right?
                    Take good care of yourselves, and know that we're thinking of you!
                    Thanks, Zoe. Yes he is special.

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                    As part of today's chores with my girls, I went through the house collection of oversized teddy bears and giant teddy dogs and teddy assorted other super-sized animals - here's a big, warm, fuzzy hug from all of them to both of you.

HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG
                    Awww, thanks, teddies.

Comment

• PB, how's he doing today?

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                        PB, how's he doing today?
                        Dad came to a major milestone today. He turned over his car keys and had me close out his insurance policy so he has faced the reality that his driving days are over. I'm so glad I didn't have to be "the bad guy" and have his license taken away.

That must be hard though to concede mentally that a big piece of your independence is gone and it's not coming back. I had to have a talk with him about how horrible he would feel if he hurt someone while driving. He doesn't really care if he hurt himself but the thought of running down a little kid got through to him. He would not be safe behind the wheel at all. He is still very unsteady on his feet.

I think the medications may stabilize things a bit but there has been some damage done mentally. The ER doctor speculated that it could be the result of a cluster of mini strokes. Dad's memory is like swiss cheese right now. I'm afraid he would go out to someplace like the market and not know how to get home.

The car keys are now all safely stashed away. That makes me feel safer.

The next plan is to take both our vehicles, his truck and my Rav4, and trade them in on one Toyota Prius. Dad has been complaining that my Rav4 rides like an army jeep and the Prius would also be easier for him to get into having a lower wheel base. I went looking today since I had my car in for an oil change. The new plug in Prius is really nice. With the two trade-ins we could make it pretty reasonable too.

The next step if he doesn't stabilize out some would be for me to move in down at his house. There is a pull out sofa sleeper in the living room if that becomes necessary. At every stage I need to gauge how much help to give and how much to respect his independence and let him have his dignity.

My sister is coming for a visit next week. (This was already scheduled before Dad got sick. She doesn't see him nearly enough. Once a year maybe.) While I'm glad she will be here for Dad's sake, I have the feeling she is going to want to swoop in and take over everything, like she always does. No, we are not particularly close.

Comment

• Ah, sisters.

I love driving a prius. Our car didn't start today, and I just thought to myself -- if only I had $18k to buy the used prius that I want. LOL instead, I took a cab to work last-minute and it was sucky. But, I made money so it balances out.

it's good that Dad is capable of making good decisions, no matter how difficult. I think giving up that level of independence is really tough, but it sounds to me like he's handling things with a lot of grace and dignity, and that you are mindful of that for him. Those are good things for you both.

I would -- because it's how I work -- tell him how proud of him I am. I know that it's hard to make these kinds of decisions, and the same courage he has shown in many situations in his life is showing up now. Just because it seems like a little thing, doesn't mean it is, and even so, at the end of the day, being an elder isn't an easy go. Things happen that you don't expect and that, honestly, youth can never really comprehend. Heck, I don't comprehend it -- I can only hint at the reality of it becuase I can imagine, but I don't really understand.

So that is something for him to be proud of too -- that he's teaching us all about dignity and grace, and showing us what it is to really do this . . .well rather trying . . . stage of life right.

Comment

• As I often say to my patients at work - getting old isn't for wimps.

I hope your sister can be somewhat reasonable, no doubt her desire to "take over" is in some way a manifestation of the guilt that she feels knowing that she does nothing for your Dad and you're there at the coal face everyday taking care of things. I hope you can both navigate your way through this with your relationship intact at the end (whatever there is of it anyway).
                            My Journal

Comment

• It's never easy seeing our parents grow old, get sick(er) & even the initial signs of infirmity begin or increase. It's been gratifying & frustrating as all hell to be living with my mom for the 1st time since I left for college 29 years ago! She is happy that I do so much for her, that she has lost nearly 30 lbs in 12 weeks while building muscle. But she also resents the level of control I have assumed & asserted in her life. And she has a perfectly valid point. I'm looking forward to just taking care of myself again, seeing my son in San Francisco in late October, & interacting with, hanging out & caring for & feeding him again. He's 6.

PB, I'm glad your sister is coming soon. Perfect timing for her to come & hopefully help w/ your dad (& give you some time off). A less than perfect set of circumstances for your family get-together since your dad's recent health decline.

But life often throws us curve balls more than center pitches. All we can do is modify our swings...
                              Last edited by Betorq; 09-20-2012, 04:39 AM.
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• could also be just a way to attempt to abate any anxiety that she has about not being in control of life in general, or these things. that's how my MIL is. it's not guilt. She's completely freaked out that things are not in her control.

Comment

Working...
                                X