Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sigi View Post
    Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?
    Like sardines
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

    Comment


    • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.

      HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.
      I think old folks figure they've earned the right to be stubborn and do things their way. Most of the time, they're right, but sometimes it's crazy making.

      My dad has always been really stubborn, and I can only see that getting worse as he ages (he's 62 now so not what I'd consider an old man yet, but definitely very set in his ways).
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

      Owly's Journal

      Comment


      • 'Lo, PB, I've been away then minimally on MDA so lots of catching up to do. Glad your Dad is better. Mine is 93 and it's tough getting them through even something like a cold, they're so much more fragile. I, too, walk a fine line between being controlling and giving Dad his space. It's hard.

        I will have to check your bee sting thread - a paste of baking soda generally works for us, but I *love* reading home tips. I must start one myself on poison ivy as half my face is hot, swollen, and looks like lizard skin. Blech.

        And I'm really enjoying that moar fat thread! I hope To be joining y'all in ketosis-land this Friday when my fast is over.
        SW: 243
        CW: 177
        Goal: Health

        Comment


        • Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.
          HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.
          I think there's something to be said for the old *soldier* factor as well. Military training.

          Originally posted by peril View Post
          Like sardines
          In that case, they sound delicious.

          Originally posted by Owly View Post
          I think old folks figure they've earned the right to be stubborn and do things their way. Most of the time, they're right, but sometimes it's crazy making.
          My dad has always been really stubborn, and I can only see that getting worse as he ages (he's 62 now so not what I'd consider an old man yet, but definitely very set in his ways).
          That's young enough to be my Dad's kid (my folks had theirs rather late in life). So my Dad is like your granddad now. Crazy making indeed sometimes but I love him.

          Originally posted by KerryK View Post
          'Lo, PB, I've been away then minimally on MDA so lots of catching up to do. Glad your Dad is better. Mine is 93 and it's tough getting them through even something like a cold, they're so much more fragile. I, too, walk a fine line between being controlling and giving Dad his space. It's hard.

          I will have to check your bee sting thread - a paste of baking soda generally works for us, but I *love* reading home tips. I must start one myself on poison ivy as half my face is hot, swollen, and looks like lizard skin. Blech.

          And I'm really enjoying that moar fat thread! I hope To be joining y'all in ketosis-land this Friday when my fast is over.
          Thank you. Yes come on over and join us in K-land. You have the perfect name for it already. Starting a thread like that is fun and really can help sometimes. The collective wisdom and occasional silliness of this place all brought together.

          Comment


          • My grandfather was air force (radar) and then eventually a high school principal. He had a will of iron but I never saw it because he doted on us grandchildren. The only other force he couldn't resist was my grandmother, who was also former military and Scottish to boot.

            I come from a long, long line of obstinacy.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

            Owly's Journal

            Comment


            • I come from a long line of Asperger's Syndrome.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I come from a long line of Asperger's Syndrome.
                Both my brothers, probably my maternal grandfather and uncle.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                Owly's Journal

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  My grandfather was air force (radar) and then eventually a high school principal. He had a will of iron but I never saw it because he doted on us grandchildren. The only other force he couldn't resist was my grandmother, who was also former military and Scottish to boot.

                  I come from a long, long line of obstinacy.
                  My Dad too. WWII? Radar was the cutting edge technology back then.

                  Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I come from a long line of Asperger's Syndrome.
                  Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  Both my brothers, probably my maternal grandfather and uncle.
                  Is it my imagination or do there seem to be a lot of people with this condition around these boards?

                  Comment


                  • Yes, WWII, RAF then RCAF once we had our own air force. He was a radar tech and my grandmother was a sergeant in the radar room. That's how they met. He went over as a volunteer when we entered the war (with the Brits, much earlier than the Americans).

                    He would have been older than your dad though. He would be nearly 100 now but he passed away when I was 14.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                    Owly's Journal

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      Yes, WWII, RAF then RCAF once we had our own air force. He was a radar tech and my grandmother was a sergeant in the radar room. That's how they met. He went over as a volunteer when we entered the war (with the Brits, much earlier than the Americans).

                      He would have been older than your dad though. He would be nearly 100 now but he passed away when I was 14.
                      Yeah, my Dad just got the tail end of the war and thankfully never got shot at. He stayed stateside where they were cranking out one plane every day to get over to Europe. He was radar tech too doing the installation and testing of the radar systems. He then went on to have a long career in electrical engineering and worked on the booster rockets for the moon missions.

                      Dad always said the army kept the smart ones here and sent the less bright bulbs over to get shot. They were expendable. He said the way he survived the war was to just keep signing up for every possible class they were offering and keep learning to make himself one of the non-expendable ones.

                      That military training runs deep in a person. He is such a stiff upper lip trooper sometimes that he will wait days to tell me that something is wrong or hurts.

                      Comment


                      • Yeah, none of my grandparents were on the front lines. My dad's parents were in Scotland. My mother's parents were in Manchester, her as a nurse and him as an engineering student (they didn't come to Canada until 1950). They also met during the war. Funny how I would likely never have been born if it wasn't for those wartime romances.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                        Owly's Journal

                        Comment


                        • Same here...American Dad and Aussie Mom met during the war.
                          A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

                          Comment


                          • I don't think my dad and uncle really have Asperger's. But they are REALLY weird. I mean extremely weird. Like from outer space or maybe they are actually robots.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              Yeah, none of my grandparents were on the front lines. My dad's parents were in Scotland. My mother's parents were in Manchester, her as a nurse and him as an engineering student (they didn't come to Canada until 1950). They also met during the war. Funny how I would likely never have been born if it wasn't for those wartime romances.
                              Originally posted by meeme View Post
                              Same here...American Dad and Aussie Mom met during the war.
                              War has a way of stirring the genetic pot. Probably has since prehistoric times.

                              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              I don't think my dad and uncle really have Asperger's. But they are REALLY weird. I mean extremely weird. Like from outer space or maybe they are actually robots.
                              Pod people perhaps?

                              Well, I just had a big ol' tray of marrow bones for dinner. I can just feeeeel the ketones burning. My hand is still puffy and stiff feeling from the bee sting. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to sleep without the advil pm. Two nights in a row of that stuff leaves me feeling a little foggy in the head.

                              Dad is doing much better. He was out trimming hedges and fixing a broken stair railing today. I think he's on the mend. Maybe now he will believe me when I say to limit the fruit.

                              Speaking of which, my little buddy Chaco went spouting off on a thread about a person trying to help their older mom with diabetes and BP problems get better. If Chaco wants to believe the drivel that quack Ray Peat is spouting that is his right, but he went and told this person to have their mom eat lots of fruit, that "fructose is your friend". WTF!?!?!?!?!? OK a young fit person can handle some fructose just fine but not someone with diabetes. That boy needs a smack upside the head sometimes. He writes well and with a very authoritative tone that could easily convince someone who wasn't very well informed to follow him right off Ray Peat's cliff.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                Speaking of which, my little buddy Chaco went spouting off on a thread about a person trying to help their older mom with diabetes and BP problems get better. If Chaco wants to believe the drivel that quack Ray Peat is spouting that is his right, but he went and told this person to have their mom eat lots of fruit, that "fructose is your friend". WTF!?!?!?!?!? OK a young fit person can handle some fructose just fine but not someone with diabetes. That boy needs a smack upside the head sometimes. He writes well and with a very authoritative tone that could easily convince someone who wasn't very well informed to follow him right off Ray Peat's cliff.
                                What he says is often compounded by him saying just what people want to hear - eat more fruit, and keep eating sugar is just the kind of 'diet' that appeals.

                                Glad to hear that your dad is on the mend!
                                Started Feb 18 2011

                                Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                                Journalling here

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X