No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's been a bit under the weather the past few days. He had been doing really well with Primal, losing all the inflammation in his legs that had bothered him before. About a week ago I was out at the market and bought fruit for him and, while I was gone, he decided he needed fruit (forgetting that I had said I was going to get some) and went to another market on his own and bought enough for a family of 8. So he ended up with way too much fruit on the table and stuff was all getting ripe at once and he has that depression era mentality about not letting things go to waste so he did a major sucrose pig out for several days running.

So his legs swelled up like stuffed sausages. This is one of those, "I hate to say I told you so but I FRACKING TOLD YOU SO!" kind of situations. But then the swelling got really bad and his skin is fragile so it started breaking open in a few spot and he was sort of "leaking" lymphatic fluid down his calves. Then the breaks in the skin got infected and that made the inflammation worse. So now he is on a diuretic and an antibiotic and has sterile compression wraps around both legs and is under doctors orders to keep his feet elevated whenever possible.

So I've been putting together dinners for him at his house (normally he would walk over to my place). And I've just been eating whatever looks good by myself to stay keto. Today I had Fat Bread and mascarpone for lunch, a spoonful of coconut manna this afternoon, and I just had some of my pate for dinner, inspired by the posts above. Hit the keto macros perfectly.

I'm concerned about Dad though. He seems to be a little disoriented and confused. I've been keeping a close eye on him and making sure he gets the right pills at the right times. I hope it's just the infection making him fuzzy headed and that it will pass. It just makes me feel like not doing anything that takes me away from home for very long. I'm trying to walk a fine line between caring for him and yet not hovering or taking over his life. It's not always easy.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• I hope your dad gets better quickly. If he picks up too much fruit again, you should be able to freeze it. Berries whole, cut up larger fruit, anything that oxidizes quickly seems to do well being frozen in vacuum seal bags, and remove any inedible parts. Then it won't go to waste or hurt anyone's health.
      Primal Journal

Comment

• I would wager that it's the infection and discomfort that has him disoriented. No one is that oriented when they don't feel great.

If you guys compost, it's ok to remind him that compost is ok because it does give back to the earth and plants and comes around again. This helped my grandmother (also depression era) because she would do similarly due to her dementia. It's mild enough that she lives basically independently, but she often forgets that she bought fruit already or veg already or what have you.

Since her retirement community/home does have composting as part of their recycling processes, my mother told her that composting is really good, and nothing really goes to waste that way. You would buy fertilizer for plants, and this is just another way of doing that.

It seemed to help her.

These days, though, she has a standing shopping list adn they deliver. She never remembers that they do, so she complains to my uncle that they never bring her food. So, the company started putting a 'track' on the delivery so that my uncle gets a text whenever the food is delivered which includes my grandmother's signature.

Usually, I call her about once a month and send her a long email-letter (with pictures) once a month, and she never remembers receiving them. For her, it's actual dementia, and it's much worse when she's sick. Bladder infections and the medications to treat them are really, really hard on her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quies View Post
          I hope your dad gets better quickly. If he picks up too much fruit again, you should be able to freeze it. Berries whole, cut up larger fruit, anything that oxidizes quickly seems to do well being frozen in vacuum seal bags, and remove any inedible parts. Then it won't go to waste or hurt anyone's health.
          Yeah, I confiscated and pealed a whole bunch of the bananas and froze them for future smoothies. It just seems like fruit is the one place where I decided to "pick my battles" and not insist on strict low carb compliance so it has kind of become his one last symbol of independence, "It's MY fruit. You can't tell me fruit is unhealthy". He still won't admit that the fruit caused the leg problems. His head is firmly in the sand on that.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          I would wager that it's the infection and discomfort that has him disoriented. No one is that oriented when they don't feel great.

If you guys compost, it's ok to remind him that compost is ok because it does give back to the earth and plants and comes around again. This helped my grandmother (also depression era) because she would do similarly due to her dementia. It's mild enough that she lives basically independently, but she often forgets that she bought fruit already or veg already or what have you.

Since her retirement community/home does have composting as part of their recycling processes, my mother told her that composting is really good, and nothing really goes to waste that way. You would buy fertilizer for plants, and this is just another way of doing that.

It seemed to help her.

These days, though, she has a standing shopping list adn they deliver. She never remembers that they do, so she complains to my uncle that they never bring her food. So, the company started putting a 'track' on the delivery so that my uncle gets a text whenever the food is delivered which includes my grandmother's signature.

Usually, I call her about once a month and send her a long email-letter (with pictures) once a month, and she never remembers receiving them. For her, it's actual dementia, and it's much worse when she's sick. Bladder infections and the medications to treat them are really, really hard on her.
          Yep, the combination of pain, not being able to get around well, the medication, and the infection itself is definitely taking a toll. It's driving him nuts to have to be stuck sitting on the couch with his feet up.

Composting is a good idea. We used to do that when I was a kid around here. We should do that again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            I found some canned cod liver at my middle eastern bodega and I'm wondering if it would make good pate'. Anybody ever tried that?
            No, but I've been adding fresh fish livers to sauces, much as many cultures add shrimp, anchovy or fish sauce. They are mild in flavour so noone's noticed yet just how healthy is their food
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

• Are the cod livers smoked? If so they are the most delectably delicious thing ever! I just eat them out of the tin and use the oil as a salad dressing. They are very delicate though so I don't know how they'd hold up to a pate.
              My Journal

Comment

• PB, hope your dad recovers soon. My mom, 86, had a kidney infection last year, antibiotics made her just stare out in space, scared me, but they did the trick and she was back to normal. (She asked the doc what could have caused it, because she is a perfectionist like you wouldn't believe, in hygiene and every part of her life, he said, it's caused by old age creeping up on ya, she was so pissed, told me when we got in the car, I may have to find another doctor, he has a bad attitude!)

Comment

• Originally posted by peril View Post
                  No, but I've been adding fresh fish livers to sauces, much as many cultures add shrimp, anchovy or fish sauce. They are mild in flavour so noone's noticed yet just how healthy is their food
                  Ah, Peril, you are devious. One of the many reasons I like you.

Good to know that the flavor isn't too strong.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                    Are the cod livers smoked? If so they are the most delectably delicious thing ever! I just eat them out of the tin and use the oil as a salad dressing. They are very delicate though so I don't know how they'd hold up to a pate.
                    The label doesn't say they are smoked but then it is from Latvia and most of the writing is in another language. (What do they speak in Latvia?) Good to know about the texture. If they are too crumbly , they might not pate' well. We'll see.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    PB, hope your dad recovers soon. My mom, 86, had a kidney infection last year, antibiotics made her just stare out in space, scared me, but they did the trick and she was back to normal. (She asked the doc what could have caused it, because she is a perfectionist like you wouldn't believe, in hygiene and every part of her life, he said, it's caused by old age creeping up on ya, she was so pissed, told me when we got in the car, I may have to find another doctor, he has a bad attitude!)
                    Dad's doing better today. We went back for a checkup today and got the compression dressing replaced with one that is a little less thick and sweaty feeling for him and allows him to wear his regular shoes instead of those silly velcro booties they gave him last time that made tottering around difficult. The antibiotics and diuretic seem to be doing their job and the redness is mostly gone too. Dad is a lot perkier today. I think some of the brain fog may also have been sleep deprivation. It was probably something that would wake him up every time he tried to turn over at night.

Comment

• SON OF A BITCH, THAT HURT!!!!!!!

I just got stung by a bee. It's a warm evening and I'm sitting here with the windows open. We don't have much in the way of bugs here so I don't bother with screens. I felt this little tickle behind my knee and absentmindedly swatted my hand over it. YEOUCH! Stung right on the ring finger.

I got the stinger out and put some ice on it. Any other healing tips? Magic remedies?
                      Tylenol and bed sound like the best bet right now. Hard to type w only one hand. night all

Comment

• I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Hopefully, he will have learned his lesson.

Comment

The label doesn't say they are smoked but then it is from Latvia and most of the writing is in another language. (What do they speak in Latvia?) Good to know about the texture. If they are too crumbly , they might not pate' well. We'll see.
                          Er ... Latvian. It's a language which has completely defeated my pathetic attempts to learn it (but I am not a patient woman).

Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?

Bee stings are horrible. My sympathies, Robin. Hope you're feeling better soon.
                          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Sorry I've not been keeping up w/ your postings. I missed out on a lot of news around your house. Dad under the weather & you with a bad bee sting.

When I'm stung by anything, I put the juice of a raw fresh sliced onion or daikon radish on the sting site after the stinger's removal. Or spit on some tobacco to saturate it & rub that on the sting area. Spit + tobacco juice = pain & swelling solution. If I'm out and about, I look around for a discarded cig butt on the ground. It works! The nicotine counteracts the histamines & banishes the pain, for me it does.... If I'm home or near someone's house or a grocer, then I borrow or buy a small onion. Just a slice will do it.
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                              I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Hopefully, he will have learned his lesson.
                              Let's hope so. He has a great way of sticking his head in the sand sometimes.

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                              Er ... Latvian. It's a language which has completely defeated my pathetic attempts to learn it (but I am not a patient woman).

Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?

Bee stings are horrible. My sympathies, Robin. Hope you're feeling better soon.
                              Most of my linguistic endeavors are more Mediterranean, Spanish, French, Italian. I never worked my way that far north.

I would have no earthly clue what a sprat was much less what to do with one or how it tastes. That's one for google.

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                              Sorry I've not been keeping up w/ your postings. I missed out on a lot of news around your house. Dad under the weather & you with a bad bee sting.

When I'm stung by anything, I put the juice of a raw fresh sliced onion or daikon radish on the sting site after the stinger's removal. Or spit on some tobacco to saturate it & rub that on the sting area. Spit + tobacco juice = pain & swelling solution. If I'm out and about, I look around for a discarded cig butt on the ground. It works! The nicotine counteracts the histamines & banishes the pain, for me it does.... If I'm home or near someone's house or a grocer, then I borrow or buy a small onion. Just a slice will do it.
                              I started a post on the odds and ends section about it and got a bunch of interesting home remedy ideas. You are not the only person to have the tobacco plan.

The stung finger still hurts and feels stiff. On and off again it starts itching like I want to tear my finger off just to make it stop. It's like the poison is trying to work its way out.

Comment

Let's hope so. He has a great way of sticking his head in the sand sometimes.
                                I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.

HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.

Comment

Working...
                                X