No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a spoon? The ultimate pate delivery device. Also good in celery sticks as an appetizer.

Pate recipe:
    2lbs liver (any beast) sliced up
    Cook in 1 stick butter
    Add spices while cooking. I like s&p, garlic(lots), Italian herbs or herbs de Provence, maybe a splash of sherry but not necessary
    Put entire pan full of stuff into the blender (or use a hand blender but the VitaMix makes it smoother)
    Add about a cup of cream.
    Blend the living daylights out of it.
    Pour into tupper cups and refrigerate. If freezing some put a top layer of melted coconut oil on to seal air out first.

Comment

• Thanks!
      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by solstice View Post
        I need to start including liver---a friend make some chicken liver pate that was edible. What do you include in your pate? I am a recipe freak! I have texture issues too---can eat fried liver AT ALL...can't even swallow one bite. What do you eat it on? It would be lovely on a cracker...but I guess I need some other options!
        Well, to further mask the liver flavor, here's what I did once for a neophyte who was shaking in her boots: snip off the top of about a dozen large calimyrna figs(stouter green ones) or black mission figs(the big purple ones), & scoop out 1/2 of the innards, retaining the top. Like you would do a pumpkin or a stuffed whatever. Place the pate' inside the carved out area, top with creamy soft goat cheese, drizzle w/ balsamic vinegar & put the top back on and warm them on a tray in the oven. Make extras, as this appetizer can become the main course! This recipe is one of my inspirations from a bumper crop of figs many years back from our tree...
        Last edited by Betorq; 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM.
        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Dinner tonight was simple and small. 4 humungous local prawns with heads & tails intact simmered in hot water while I melted the butter with a mix of garlic powder, lemon juice, pinch of sea salt for dipping the prawns. Kimchi side dish & a hunk of the cabbage core from my month old sauerkraut that melted all squishy in my mouth. Dessert was a tender young coconut water & tender flesh scooped out w/ a spoon.
          Last edited by Betorq; 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM.
          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by betorq View Post
            well, to further mask the liver flavor, here's what i did once for a neophyte who was shaking in her boots: Snip off the top of about a dozen large calimyrna figs (the big purple ones), & scoop out 1/2 of the innards, retaining the top. Like you would do a pumpkin or a stuffed whatever. Place the pate' inside the carved out area, top with creamy soft goat cheese, drizzle w/ balsamic vinegar & put the top back on and warm them on a tray in the oven. Make extras, as this appetizer can become the main course! This recipe is one of my inspirations from a bumper crop of figs many years back from our tree...
            ohmygoodnessican'tbelievehowdeliciousthissounds!!! !!!!
            SW: 243
            CW: 177
            Goal: Health

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
              Well, to further mask the liver flavor, here's what I did once for a neophyte who was shaking in her boots: snip off the top of about a dozen large calimyrna figs (the big purple ones), & scoop out 1/2 of the innards, retaining the top. Like you would do a pumpkin or a stuffed whatever. Place the pate' inside the carved out area, top with creamy soft goat cheese, drizzle w/ balsamic vinegar & put the top back on and warm them on a tray in the oven. Make extras, as this appetizer can become the main course! This recipe is one of my inspirations from a bumper crop of figs many years back from our tree...
              Oh my! You and I could have such fun together in the kitchen.......

Speaking of which tonight at the Birdnest Diner the blue plate special is Meatloaf. But not just any meatloaf. This one is grassfed beef with an egg, 1/4 cup almond meal and some italian spices mixed up. then you put half that mix down in the loaf pan and put the stuffing (which is tomatoes onions and shredded cheese) on top down the middle in a row. Then put the other half of the meat over it and seal it up around the edges and bake at 375 for about 35-40 minutes. Served with a side of mashed cauliflower. Unlimited Crio Bru refills are included with the price of your dinner.

Photo on 2012-08-24 at 18.02.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                Dinner tonight was simple and small. 4 humungous local prawns with heads & tails intact simmered in hot water while I melted the butter with a mix of garlic powder, lemon juice, pinch of sea salt for dipping the prawns. Kimchi side dish & a hunk of the cabbage core from my month old sauerkraut that melted all squishy in my mouth. Dessert was a tender young coconut water & tender flesh scooped out w/ a spoon.
                Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                ohmygoodnessican'tbelievehowdeliciousthissounds!!! !!!!
                Betorq, you have this knack for getting women all flustered just by *talking* about the food you cook. Kerry, now imagine him in all his adorableness popping one of those stuffed figs in your mouth. Here, use my fan. I know. It's warm in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  Betorq, you have this knack for getting women all flustered just by *talking* about the food you cook. Kerry, now imagine him in all his adorableness popping one of those stuffed figs in your mouth. Here, use my fan. I know. It's warm in here.
                  Errr, ahem, he's not visiting ME here in NY... somehow I can only imagine him feeding YOU those figs...
                  SW: 243
                  CW: 177
                  Goal: Health

Comment

• Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                    Errr, ahem, he's not visiting ME here in NY... somehow I can only imagine him feeding YOU those figs...
                    You're right. Gimme back my fan then. I think I need it more than you do.

Comment

• Have I mentioned that I also cannot eat figs anymore.

Uuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.
                      No more fresh figs.

I'll stop whining sometime.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• OMG.... this old gwamma haS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SAY.....except there is some seriously hot stuff going on, on these forums !!!!!!

"never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
                        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Hello Paleobird,
                          I have been quietly following your journal for some time now without posting. You have such a wonderful approach to life and it inspires me as does your meatloaf and pate recipes!! Thanks for sharing and helping me plan dinner for this week.
                          B2B
                          “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
                          ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
                          LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
                          CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Comment

• I checked my local health food stores and no luck finding a similar product to the crio bru. So I ordered it. Now I have to go and get a french press or something because I usually use an espresso maker for coffee. Unless...has anyone just tried doing it like cowboy coffee? That's where you boil the water with the grounds, then you add cold water when the coffee's at a rolling boil so the grounds fall to the bottom.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• My hubby used to log and they always made cowboy coffee at loggers camp...he sometimes does it now when we camp.
                              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                                Have I mentioned that I also cannot eat figs anymore.
                                Uuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.
                                No more fresh figs. I'll stop whining sometime.
                                You have every right to whine. Whine away. I would be too.

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                                OMG.... this old gwamma haS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SAY.....except there is some seriously hot stuff going on, on these forums !!!!!!
                                Yep, Primal *makes* people be randy. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

Originally posted by B2B View Post
                                Hello Paleobird,
                                I have been quietly following your journal for some time now without posting. You have such a wonderful approach to life and it inspires me as does your meatloaf and pate recipes!! Thanks for sharing and helping me plan dinner for this week.
                                B2B
                                Hello B2B, and welcome. I don't mind lurkers. How did the meatloaf turn out? I bet there could be any number of things in the stuffing area, bacon, avocados, etc.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                I checked my local health food stores and no luck finding a similar product to the crio bru. So I ordered it. Now I have to go and get a french press or something because I usually use an espresso maker for coffee. Unless...has anyone just tried doing it like cowboy coffee? That's where you boil the water with the grounds, then you add cold water when the coffee's at a rolling boil so the grounds fall to the bottom.
                                Originally posted by solstice View Post
                                My hubby used to log and they always made cowboy coffee at loggers camp...he sometimes does it now when we camp.
                                Actually I think the Cowboy Coffee method would work really well with this stuff because it doesn't mind being steeped longer than coffee. It doesn't get bitter.

I made some more bark last night, this time with the used grounds and coconut manna.

Comment

Working...
                                X