Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm trying to make my own roobois chai blend. it's not easy to get it right.
    I'm lazy and buy a chai blend from this wonderful Indian lady at the farmers market.

Originally posted by mdrive View Post
    got my grassfed beef liver and oxtails delivered today! woohoo.....

i'm going to cook the traditional 'liver and onions' for dinner tonight dredged in coconut 'flour' and sauted in coconut oil....still looking at various recipes for the oxtail....any suggestions on either would be highly appreciated

also the crio bru sounds fantastic...(i too thought it was a wine until i googled it) i may order that as well...

<edit> does anyone know the difference between the cavalla and vega real crio bru?

also wondering if you could do a crio bru 'espresso'
    Ooooh liver and oxtails, two of my Primal favorites. I make oxtail soup in the crock pot and pate out of the liver. You can whip up a big batch of pate and then freeze some.

The Cavalla according to the label here has, "notes of coconut and cinnamon" whereas the Vega Real has "notes of strawberry and citrus" but both say these "notes" are, "found naturally in the cocoa bean". They are not added fake flavors, just the way the beans grow in different places in the world.

Comment

• Dinner tonight was lamb shanks with a side of zucchini and yellow summer squash with the mushrooms and onions I cooked with the shanks (in the crock pot) tossed over them while they sauteed to reduce down the lamb-y broth. Very yummy but not particularly pretty so I didn't bother with a picture. Must get that silly camera fixed.

Now I'm nibbling on Crio Bru bark. I put it in the freezer for a few hours and it now has a much more bark-y texture and doesn't crumble. Purrrrr.........

Comment

• I went to the indian market and they don't have a blend. you make your own. because apparently everyone in india has their own blend, like garam masala. and so, i have to figure it out. LOL

and of course, there is my own taste....

yummy stuff through.

Comment

I went to the indian market and they don't have a blend. you make your own. because apparently everyone in india has their own blend, like garam masala. and so, i have to figure it out. LOL

and of course, there is my own taste....
          yummy stuff through.
          I've been meaning to try this recipe for chai spice mix out. Chai Spice Blend | FreeFoodFreedom

Comment

• looks like a decent blend, but i'm thinking it would be weird to use.

this recipe seems to have the best taste -- but i'm finding it a bit "watery" and am looking at other recipes as well. this one has an added spice/tea mix i've yet to find. And this one uses elements that might work well to make up the difference of that spice/tea mix (called tea masala).

mine always come out too watery or not spicy enough. part of me wonders if i should toast the spices to release some of the oils, then add water and simmer off, and then add tea, then milk, and hten strain off.

anyhoot.

Comment

• I ordered the Crio Bru, monkey see-monkey do. The Maracaibo one, can't wait. Read the info to DH, he said, is that something we really need? (his go-to remark on many occasions). I replied, well, that just cost ya any taste of it, ahhhh, come on, he begged.

Comment

looks like a decent blend, but i'm thinking it would be weird to use.

this recipe seems to have the best taste -- but i'm finding it a bit "watery" and am looking at other recipes as well. this one has an added spice/tea mix i've yet to find. And this one uses elements that might work well to make up the difference of that spice/tea mix (called tea masala).

mine always come out too watery or not spicy enough. part of me wonders if i should toast the spices to release some of the oils, then add water and simmer off, and then add tea, then milk, and hten strain off.
                anyhoot.
                Maybe mixing the spices with an oil base first would help like some butter and then let them sit in that for a while. It could be kind of like bulletproof chai.

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                I ordered the Crio Bru, monkey see-monkey do. The Maracaibo one, can't wait. Read the info to DH, he said, is that something we really need? (his go-to remark on many occasions). I replied, well, that just cost ya any taste of it, ahhhh, come on, he begged.
                Hah! He will be begging on his knees when he catches a whiff of how good it smells brewing. (My Vega Real batch is calling to me now)

Comment

• Spices are often toasted and then ground in Indian cooking, so it might be worth a try.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Okay you guys are driving me crazy with this talk of Crio Bru... hubby and I are going to Whole Foods tomorrow, I'm gonna get some!

What's the most chocolatey flavored one?

Comment

• I've only tried the Cavalla and the Vega Real so far and both are awesome. I gave each of the others a sniff test and they all smell wonderful too. Each one is a little different but they are all, by definition "chocolatey". They are pure chocolate! The Cavallo Dark Roast one smells particularly intense.

I know I sound like I've lost my mind but you really do need to try this stuff. Your life will never be the same again.

Comment

• PB, the beef liver i fixed last night took some getting used to.....it tasted stronger than my recollection, not sure if being from grassfed beef is the reason, but i couldn't eat my entire portion....i'm going to try the pate'....i think i'll need to add a fair amount of seasoning to make it palatable....

i found this recipe for the oxtail, it looks quite good, and needs only minor tweaks to make it paleo

Caribbean-style Oxtails Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Comment

• Originally posted by mdrive View Post
                          PB, the beef liver i fixed last night took some getting used to.....it tasted stronger than my recollection, not sure if being from grassfed beef is the reason, but i couldn't eat my entire portion....i'm going to try the pate'....i think i'll need to add a fair amount of seasoning to make it palatable....

i found this recipe for the oxtail, it looks quite good, and needs only minor tweaks to make it paleo

Caribbean-style Oxtails Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network
                          That recipe sounds awesome but I would sub out some red wine for the beer.
                          Grass fed liver does have more vitamins and minerals in it as well as more protein per gram. If your body says, that's enough, it is probably telling you you don't need any more vitamin A or iron or whatever.

Pate is a good way to have liver not only more tasty (for me it's more of a texture issue), and also be able to cook a big batch and freeze some. If you put it into little containers, then drizzle some liquid coconut oil on top, it will seal it and it can stay frozen for a long time.

Comment

• The crio bru website lists no locations in San Diego. Where do you get it? I think I'll try to stop at Whole Foods on my way home and see if I can find it or a similar product. Apparently Oprah featured something called Choffy on her show which is another roasted chocolate bean product. So there must be similar products out there.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              The crio bru website lists no locations in San Diego. Where do you get it? I think I'll try to stop at Whole Foods on my way home and see if I can find it or a similar product. Apparently Oprah featured something called Choffy on her show which is another roasted chocolate bean product. So there must be similar products out there.
                              Here: http://www.criobru.com/

If you buy $75 or more the shipping is free and it got here in 4 days.

Yes, that Choffey does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I liked the fact that the Crio Brew stuff is all fair trade.
                              The Crio Brew is also a couple of bucks less expensive per pound. (I guess if you get featured on Oprah, you can jack up the price.)
                              Last edited by Paleobird; 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• I need to start including liver---a friend make some chicken liver pate that was edible. What do you include in your pate? I am a recipe freak! I have texture issues too---can eat fried liver AT ALL...can't even swallow one bite. What do you eat it on? It would be lovely on a cracker...but I guess I need some other options!
                                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X