Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
    I have no idea what BFE even stands for!
    Bum F-word Egypt. Ie, the middle of absolutely nowhere.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Lol! Okay. I am in a city of about a million people, big difference.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
        Lol! Okay. I am in a city of about a million people, big difference.
        I think if I drive 6 hours in just about any direction, I'd be in a major city.
        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by onalark View Post
          Also sometimes called "Lady Grey". Really good!

Rooibos is remarkable with honey or maple syrup and cream. Really draws out the caramel-y flavors of the brew.
          Lady Grey is Bergamot *and* citrus. I like both, but Lady is more (even more) floral. I'm English, I know my teas!
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            Ahhh...
            I do have rooibos... and I found out that it has NO oxalates!
            That, my dear, is 'squee' worthy!
            I can drown in the stuff if I want to... and make CHAI!

The proper Chinese teas (oolongs, whites, greens) are not as high in oxalates and I can drink them in moderation.

Why do you have to throw Earl Grey under the bus... the one black tea I love.

As far as the Crio Bru...

"To date, we have not done any specific testing to ascertain oxalate levels in Crio Brü. It is well known that there is oxalate in cacao. However, there is a way that oxalate levels can be reduced and that is through boiling or steaming.

Sooo... I'm going to get some. For occasional use, like weekend indulgence, once the weather cools down here.
            I think it will be safer for me that continued intake of eating chocolate... which I'm going to MISS. Seriously... I NEVER thought I'd be giving up chocolate!
            Crio Bru will be my "safe chocolate"...
            Oh squeee back atcha! I'm so glad that will work for you. Rooibos chai also makes awesome jello blocks.
            I went to make a pot of Crio Bru today and found the grounds from last night still there. I idly nibbled a few of them thinking they would be kind of washed out after brewing but they were really yummy. I took them and blended them in the VitaMix with some coconut oil and then put it in the fridge. We'll see if it sets up into Crio Bru bark. No point in wasting something so tasty.

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
            is Crio Bru any different than getting cocoa nibs and grinding them into powder? cause i have been doing that for a while now, given that i am adding it to my coffee...
            Damn we all live a great life, imagin a time when we thought white bread was where its all.
            I am so damn spoiled i refuse to eat out. i mean who can grill a steak like I can? I can taste the corn and othe crap in the commercial meats. nothing out there in the world of the restaurant tastes good anymore , it is like being punished
            Crio bru is roasted but other than that no, it's just cocoa. Some of the varieties they offer have flavorings such a cinnamon and berries though.

I know what you mean about eating out. We have some nice places here but, if you want the grass fed, you pay for it. I look at some of my meals and think, that is like a $50 dinner right there.

Originally posted by onalark View Post
            Also sometimes called "Lady Grey". Really good!
            Rooibos is remarkable with honey or maple syrup and cream. Really draws out the caramel-y flavors of the brew.
            You can also "bulletproof" rooibos.

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
            Oh, I'm SO glad I'm not the only one! I think my hubby can grill a steak like you can, Quelson; and no one can cook veg/make a salad like I do. Coworkers want to eat out for lunch all the time, and I don't go with... besides being bad for you, it just tastes nasty! "Oh, sure, I'd love to pay money to eat nasty tasting food that makes me sick."
            Yeah eating out is something I only do now if friends are going. If I am choosing, I would rather stay home. I'll challenge you to a BAS cookoff any day.

Originally posted by Owly View Post
            You all need better restaurants. We have some amazing local food places here that do all free range and organic stuff. So good.
            SD is doing well getting free range stuff available too. It's becoming chic and upscale.

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
            I used to eat white bread dipped in BBQ sauce for a cheap dinner in college. Y'know, when I was out of ramen. I want to come eat at your house.
            I think Quelsen should quit his job and open a Primal restaurant.

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            Lady Grey is Bergamot *and* citrus. I like both, but Lady is more (even more) floral. I'm English, I know my teas!
            Several very well informed tea drinkers around here. Pinkies up!

Comment

• Ooh ooh ooh, our crio bru cavallo is arriving tomorrow... we all can't wait! I'm definitely keeping the grounds for garnish & other tasty ideas... (I like yours!)
              SW: 243
              CW: 177
              Goal: Health

Comment

• Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                Ooh ooh ooh, our crio bru cavallo is arriving tomorrow... we all can't wait! I'm definitely keeping the grounds for garnish & other tasty ideas... (I like yours!)
                It did set up. Not quite bark, a little more crumbly. Half way between bark and a cookie. I think next time I'll try blending in some nuts for more smoothness. It is very tasty though.

I wonder if you could re-brew the same grounds more than once, maybe just with a little less water. Hmmm. The possibilities are endless.

Oooh. Lightning bolt of inspiration. Add some of the grounds to Richard's Fat Bread!

Comment

• i had never even heard of crio bru before---so how is this NOT chocolate? Just the cacao bean?
                  Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                  http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• Yes is roasted ground beans.

Check it out: Crio Brü and Crio Beans are Rich in Antioxidants, Minerals and Natural Energy - Healthy Chocolate for Healthy Living

Comment

• I didn't know what it was either when Paleobird 1st mentioned it... Sounded to me like a type of wine, haha

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-337-15039-crio-bru.html
                      Crio Bru Non-caffeinated cocoa/coffee superdrink
                      By Austen Diamond
                      Photo by Rachel Piper // Crio Bru

Posted // November 22,2011 -

It’s probably best to first define what Crio Bru isn’t. Although this new, Orem-made, brewed hot beverage will most certainly garner comparisons to coffee or hot chocolate, there’s nothing really like this drink, which is brewed like coffee but is 100 percent cocoa.

Owner Eric Durtschi recently swung by the City Weekly offices for a taste test with our staff. Their tasting notes can be found here.

“Our biggest challenge is education. We have to put as much information as possible on the label,” Durtschi says, while opening several bags. They all list the beans’ superfood qualities and health benefits, with brew directions on the back. The Coca River (Ecuador) smells distinctly of green banana and blackberries, while coconut and cinnamon emanate from the Cavalla (Ivory Coast)—and those tastes come out subtly when brewed. Each of the seven varieties contain single-origin—and, sometimes, single-estate—beans, sourced with Durtschi’s obsessive knack for quality.

“I’ve had to reinvent the wheel for processing cacao beans,” Durtschi says. Crio Bru requires picking more mature beans and a different fermentation time than chocolate. The beans are roasted in Orem and sold ground, because they are more liquidy than coffee beans and would ruin a home grinder.

A French press is the best brew method, and the longer Crio Bru steeps, the richer and more chocolate-y the flavor. Many of our staff would have preferred a little sugar during their taste. “Like fine chocolate, subtleties will come out that way; that’s why the best bars are only 70 percent chocolate,” Durtschi says, although he prefers his without sugar.

The product, which has less caffeine than decaf coffee, is sold in grocery stores in Utah and across the United States. Durtschi hopes to expand his line from seven varieties to 12 within the next year. “I’ve isolated many superior growing regions I can stand behind,” he says.

CRIO BRU
                      CrioBru.com
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• I just read some more on their website and I guess I am not the first person to ever think about doing something with the used grounds. They recommend putting them in muffins, smoothies etc.

I had a seriously fatty day today. I had marrow bones for lunch and liver pate and a salad for dinner. Dad had put in a request for some chicken so I made some curry with rice for him with some root veggies.

I've also been nibbling on my Crio Bru bark cookie this evening which has a fair bit of coconut oil in it.

I am so stuffed but I can feel my metabolism just humming along in high gear.

Comment

• do you have a post to you crio bru cookie bark?

I am going to order some for hubby---maybe get him off coffee since it seems to hurt his stomach most days.
                          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• Just blend the "used" grounds in the vitamix (not sure if a regular blender would get it smooth enough). Add a little coconut oil (I think cocoa butter would even be better. Spread out flat and fridge. Next time may try adding some nut butter for more smoothness.

Oooooh, oooooh I know. Coconut butter would be the best mix. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

• I'm trying to make my own roobois chai blend. it's not easy to get it right.

Comment

• got my grassfed beef liver and oxtails delivered today! woohoo.....

i'm going to cook the traditional 'liver and onions' for dinner tonight dredged in coconut 'flour' and sauted in coconut oil....still looking at various recipes for the oxtail....any suggestions on either would be highly appreciated

also the crio bru sounds fantastic...(i too thought it was a wine until i googled it) i may order that as well...

<edit> does anyone know the difference between the cavalla and vega real crio bru?

also wondering if you could do a crio bru 'espresso'
                                Last edited by mdrive; 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X