Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Betorq View Post
    She carried me, squeezed me out, fed me & wiped my ass for years when I was a babe. It's the least I can do in return...
    Sigh. I understand, but with the folks, it was an abusive relationship to the point that Pop served jail time for what he did to me. I just cannot go there. I think I have been holy enough in not indulging in taking revenge - anything else will have to wait for my next life, especially as he is just as rotten post-slammer as he was pre, just in different ways.

    re the Jewish thing... I have a Jewish childhood friend, used to live in NJ long-term, and have village German family by the dozen, so I do know the loud argumentative thing. One of my best memories is this friend and I, sitting in Germany together (he used to swing by on the way back from his Grandma's place in Haifa while I lived there) over a couple of bottles of that delicious white wine Germans make, and arguing over the existence of God, of all things!! We argued until dawn... and it was a stalemate... (he against, me for - back when he was only culturally Jewish. Now he is married with kids and goes to a Reform temple - ha! Remind me to tell you about his wedding - it was wild...).

    I was in heaven - finally, someone who had my talk gene AND didn't buckle under some serious disagreement!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

    Comment


    • Whey protein is a godsend for me. I didn't think I'd ever become the protein shake type, but I really find it hard to get in adequate amounts of protein otherwise. I just can't eat that much some days.

      I have to ask, what is it about the whole "post pics or you're a lying liar" thing that comes up around here sometimes? I'm pretty careful about photos of me online for reasons unrelated to my weight.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

      Owly's Journal

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
        Paleobird, just to let you know, I am following all this ketosis talk. I find it interesting, especially the details of how you (and others who are doing it and chiming in here) are doing it. I am just amazed at what going from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner has done for me, and slowly the ketosis thing is coming onto my radar as a possibility down the road as an experience I would like to have.

        For that, I think I would need to really deal with some numbers of how many carbs are in the veggies and fruits, macros and all that, and I'm not ready to do numbers with my food yet, but the Primal has made me less fearful of "measuring" in foods, as I find the Primal very "humane" in its philosophy. That, and correct - that helps.

        re avos - I got a hold of some "lite" avos once, and upon tasting... composted them, and went right back to eating the smaller, fattier ones. Yummmmm....

        I really have to give it to you and Betorq - I cannot parent the parents. The relationship is simply too screwed up (going far back into the past), so if the time comes when my folks will need something like this, Pop goes to the VA. I haven't read enough here to know the back-stories, but it seems that you do this gladly, and THAT is simply the best. I hope the relationships are fulfilling for all concerned.
        Ketosis is awesome. So worth it for me. Yes, there does have to be a counting factor involved but I suppose that if you do this for some time like Peter and his family at the Hyperlipid site, it just becomes second nature.

        I'm so sorry that you didn't have a good relationship with your folks. I can understand your choices now. It's karma coming around to bite them. I treasure the time I get to spend with my Dad now as I know there will be a lot of years when I have to live without him. He's my hero and a really good friend as well. I would do anything to make his last years in this world as pleasant as possible.

        Originally posted by Betorq View Post
        I do eat them, or I did up til recently. I would buy them discounted @ 3 for a buck, starting to get too mushy & soft to sell I guess. I'd take 'em home and immediately make a big batch of guac, with extra full fat sour cream or yogurt, onions, cilantro, chilis, lime juice & salt. No worries, mate! But of course the fatties are my/our favs.
        Oh , she fights me on too many things, repeatedly, but with less frequency and intensity than before. We're Jewish so loud conflicts are pretty standard fare, lol, & I let it roll off my back. But we do go at it some. I mostly just remind, repeatedly, for instance, to drink 2 full glasses of H2O before lunch, 2 glasses after & one more after dinner. No water after 7pm. Last night she only got up once to pee, previous 4-5 nights only twice. Doing her normal thing, she was getting up 4-5x every night, interrupting any chances of deep, solid sleep. I drink 6-8 tall glasses a day,sometimes 10 glasses if it's hot or I'm super active or both. She maybe some day max out @ 6 glasses, but at least she's not chronically dehydrated anymore. And she's pooping once a day now, whereas duh, when she was under-drinking water (1-2 glasses a day & its hot here) & eating much more meat & a lot less fibre, she wasn't pooping daily & kept complaining that she needed to eat fruits before bed in order to have a BM the next morning. So much CW in her, slowly it changes. "The CW force is strong in that one." But I often have to say the same things to her 10-20 times, seriously. My mom has memory issues too(early dementia, reversible/manageable w/ ketosis or uber fat-oriented primal?), on top of all the other stuff she has/is medicated for.

        It'll have been 11 months out of my life I've been here, leaving for a S.D. Cali visit after my Thai cooking\massage classes here in Atl are over. The end of Sept/1st wkend of Oct., & I ought to land in Cali Oct 10,11 or 12th, not sure, haven't bought ticket yet. She carried me, squeezed me out, fed me & wiped my ass for years when I was a babe. It's the least I can do in return...
        Some positive karma coming around there.

        Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
        Sigh. I understand, but with the folks, it was an abusive relationship to the point that Pop served jail time for what he did to me. I just cannot go there. I think I have been holy enough in not indulging in taking revenge - anything else will have to wait for my next life, especially as he is just as rotten post-slammer as he was pre, just in different ways.
        You're right.

        Originally posted by Owly View Post
        Whey protein is a godsend for me. I didn't think I'd ever become the protein shake type, but I really find it hard to get in adequate amounts of protein otherwise. I just can't eat that much some days.

        I have to ask, what is it about the whole "post pics or you're a lying liar" thing that comes up around here sometimes? I'm pretty careful about photos of me online for reasons unrelated to my weight.
        Yeah I can see that a lot of people wouldn't want to post pics. When I was working as a professor, I never would have posted a pic of me in a swimsuit, it just wouldn't have been professional. Now that I'm retired, I don't care if people see my picture. I do kind of understand the reasoning that you wouldn't take financial advice from a broke person and wouldn't seek diet advice from someone who looks like Jabba the Hut. But I think this "put up or shut up" meme has to take into account personal circumstances.

        Comment


        • Ack, my belly is cramping with all the talk of avocados .

          The idea of caring for my mother is looming for me - she's only 67, but has a lifetime of health issues so is beginning to act elderly. I've bought her the PB, managed to get her on the programme for a few weeks during which time her inflamed hips began to feel much better, but she looks at me with big blue eyes and tells me earnestly that she couldn't possibly give up bread (and cookies, and sugar . . .). It breaks my heart. The silly thing is that this way of eating isn't very far from the core way she's always eaten - it's just those extra things that impact on her health and weight. She's now having fairly frequent steroid injections, and is becoming more limited in her range of movement. I really don't know how long she'll be able to live independently - one major fall will ruin her life, I think.
          Started Feb 18 2011

          Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

          Journalling here

          Comment


          • Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Paleo Parents

            Impressive paleo/primal bread that passes the muster w/ its ingredients, flavor & toastability: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html

            Originally posted by Jac View Post
            Ack, my belly is cramping with all the talk of avocados .

            The idea of caring for my mother is looming for me - she's only 67, but has a lifetime of health issues so is beginning to act elderly. I've bought her the PB, managed to get her on the programme for a few weeks during which time her inflamed hips began to feel much better, but she looks at me with big blue eyes and tells me earnestly that she couldn't possibly give up bread (and cookies, and sugar . . .). It breaks my heart. The silly thing is that this way of eating isn't very far from the core way she's always eaten - it's just those extra things that impact on her health and weight. She's now having fairly frequent steroid injections, and is becoming more limited in her range of movement. I really don't know how long she'll be able to live independently - one major fall will ruin her life, I think.
            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              This is one of the best anti-inflammatory diets ever. When I started my Dad on Primal he had severe inflammation mostly in his lower legs due to diabetes. Within three days of full on Primal eating, he could find his ankle bones again clearly visible for the first time in more than a year.

              Whenever Dad wants something he shouldn't have like bagels or granola bars at the store I remind him, that is the stuff that makes your feet swell up and hurt. Do you want to go back to that? No? Then put it back on the shelf.
              well i finally figured out what was making the total calorie numbers look so weird....i had entered i wanted to lose X amount of weight by a certain date, and that involved a 2 Lb. per week weight loss.....the system calculated i could eat around 750 calories per day....not good...so i changed the weight loss to 1 pound per week and now i'm 'allowed' 1250 calories....far better...

              and wow...i did some further checking and the cronometer website has a ketone type diet and paleo diet as well...you just indicate which is your preference and they calculate your protein, fat, carbs, and give you insight as to whether you are meeting those specific goals ....i entered ketosis diet, so i'll see what kind of feedback i get...

              i took my bike out for a ride this morning (first time in a year!) it needed some work, so i took it to the shop yesterday and wow, it rode just beautifully...i did about 11.5 miles at 12 mph, and felt a bit 'rubbery' at the end of the ride but man did it feel good....i totally realized just how much i MISSED riding....

              back in the saddle again..

              Comment



              • Hmmmm. Those are basically....macaroons with chocolate chips? Oh, okay, and almond flour. Still: hmmmmmm!

                My husband is a sucker for macaroons. :P
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

                Comment


                • My 93 year old Dad lives with us now. It's tough and stressful, but he was and is one of my best friends, so I'm glad he's here - for my 10 yr old son's sake as well as my own. Since Dad has eaten wheat and sugar in one form or another at every meal for practically 3/4 of a century, he's not primal yet. I'm slowly talking about the affects of wheat and processed foods with him. I manage to give him some fully primal meals, but have yet to make a full day of meals completely primal. We're getting there and bone broth is a daily necessity. Once I'm closer to optimal health myself I hope to be more persuasive.
                  SW: 243
                  CW: 177
                  Goal: Health

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jac View Post
                    Ack, my belly is cramping with all the talk of avocados .

                    The idea of caring for my mother is looming for me - she's only 67, but has a lifetime of health issues so is beginning to act elderly. I've bought her the PB, managed to get her on the programme for a few weeks during which time her inflamed hips began to feel much better, but she looks at me with big blue eyes and tells me earnestly that she couldn't possibly give up bread (and cookies, and sugar . . .). It breaks my heart. The silly thing is that this way of eating isn't very far from the core way she's always eaten - it's just those extra things that impact on her health and weight. She's now having fairly frequent steroid injections, and is becoming more limited in her range of movement. I really don't know how long she'll be able to live independently - one major fall will ruin her life, I think.
                    All the more reason for you to really stick to the diet. I think part of being able to convince my Dad to get on board was tht he saw the changes in me. He thought he could "never" give up his bagels but he did. Never say never.

                    Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                    Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Paleo Parents
                    Impressive paleo/primal bread that passes the muster w/ its ingredients, flavor & toastability: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html
                    I take it that's PaleoParents as in what to feed your kid but that works for those of us feeding the "big kids" too.

                    Originally posted by mdrive View Post
                    well i finally figured out what was making the total calorie numbers look so weird....i had entered i wanted to lose X amount of weight by a certain date, and that involved a 2 Lb. per week weight loss.....the system calculated i could eat around 750 calories per day....not good...so i changed the weight loss to 1 pound per week and now i'm 'allowed' 1250 calories....far better...

                    and wow...i did some further checking and the cronometer website has a ketone type diet and paleo diet as well...you just indicate which is your preference and they calculate your protein, fat, carbs, and give you insight as to whether you are meeting those specific goals ....i entered ketosis diet, so i'll see what kind of feedback i get...

                    i took my bike out for a ride this morning (first time in a year!) it needed some work, so i took it to the shop yesterday and wow, it rode just beautifully...i did about 11.5 miles at 12 mph, and felt a bit 'rubbery' at the end of the ride but man did it feel good....i totally realized just how much i MISSED riding....

                    back in the saddle again..
                    Interesting. I didn't know that had a ketosis specific plan. I will have to check that out. Thanks.

                    Originally posted by onalark View Post
                    Hmmmm. Those are basically....macaroons with chocolate chips? Oh, okay, and almond flour. Still: hmmmmmm!
                    My husband is a sucker for macaroons. :P
                    Who in their right mind isn't?

                    Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                    My 93 year old Dad lives with us now. It's tough and stressful, but he was and is one of my best friends, so I'm glad he's here - for my 10 yr old son's sake as well as my own. Since Dad has eaten wheat and sugar in one form or another at every meal for practically 3/4 of a century, he's not primal yet. I'm slowly talking about the affects of wheat and processed foods with him. I manage to give him some fully primal meals, but have yet to make a full day of meals completely primal. We're getting there and bone broth is a daily necessity. Once I'm closer to optimal health myself I hope to be more persuasive.
                    Exactly. Leading by example always helps. I also found that talking to my Dad about my diet in terms of bringing back real food the way it used to be when he was a kid was more effective than any of the Grok stuff. Explaining to him how grains have been so perverted as to not even resemble anything found in nature. Perhaps the Wheat Belly book would be a place your Dad could start.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Exactly. Leading by example always helps. I also found that talking to my Dad about my diet in terms of bringing back real food the way it used to be when he was a kid was more effective than any of the Grok stuff. Explaining to him how grains have been so perverted as to not even resemble anything found in nature. Perhaps the Wheat Belly book would be a place your Dad could start.
                      Absolutely - show by example.

                      One problem is how bad his memory is becoming. He knows me and who he is, but the short term memory is awful and it's scary. So much of what I'm sharing is news to him next time it's brought up. I'm working on it in many ways including supplements but it's discouraging.

                      I think you're right about the Wheat Belly book. That's really a good idea. He was excited that Bill O'Reilly gave up wheat and mentioned that book so I've reminded him most days about that. I think I should get him that book. (Yes, Ha Ha, Dad loves his Fox News ).
                      SW: 243
                      CW: 177
                      Goal: Health

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                        Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Paleo Parents

                        Impressive paleo/primal bread that passes the muster w/ its ingredients, flavor & toastability: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html
                        Hmm - this looks like a stealth attack, and I like it very much! Maybe every time I see her I'll have some different primal goodies to share . . .

                        "I have a cunning plan" - Baldrick, in every recent century
                        Started Feb 18 2011

                        Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                        Journalling here

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                          One problem is how bad his memory is becoming. He knows me and who he is, but the short term memory is awful and it's scary. So much of what I'm sharing is news to him next time it's brought up. I'm working on it in many ways including supplements but it's discouraging.

                          I think you're right about the Wheat Belly book. That's really a good idea. He was excited that Bill O'Reilly gave up wheat and mentioned that book so I've reminded him most days about that. I think I should get him that book. (Yes, Ha Ha, Dad loves his Fox News ).
                          My Dad's memory was really slipping too but it has been amazing how much he has perked up mentally not just physically as a result of going Primal. BP came down, meds and all their mind numbing side effects became unneeded. Also I really think that enough fat in the diet is essential for proper brain function. It think the low fat mania of the last few decades bears a large part of the responsibility for the explosion of neurodegenerative disease we see around us.

                          Originally posted by Jac View Post
                          Hmm - this looks like a stealth attack, and I like it very much! Maybe every time I see her I'll have some different primal goodies to share . . .
                          "I have a cunning plan" - Baldrick, in every recent century
                          Stealth attacks are good. Like putting a big dollop of coconut oil in the mashed cauliflower. Dad doesn't know it's there, just that they taste great. That Free the Animal Fat Bread I made is also wonderful. So much nutrition in such a dense form. It's like eating Hobbit cakes, a little bit keeps you full for a long time.

                          Comment


                          • OK, avocado alert. Jac, avert your eyes.

                            Photo on 2012-08-19 at 18.04.jpg

                            Pretty self explanatory. Seared salmon with asparagus and a side of avocado and cherry tomatoes. Nothin' fancy. Just good food.
                            Sorry for the holding the plate up to the computer pics but my camera is on the fritz.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by onalark View Post
                              Hmmmm. Those are basically....macaroons with chocolate chips? Oh, okay, and almond flour. Still: hmmmmmm! My husband is a sucker for macaroons. :P
                              Me too! Chocolate macaroons rock me out & up into the ethers. I make mine w/ erythritol & stevia instead of the invert sugar. I'd leave out the almond flour from these & thereby fully macaroonize them!

                              An interesting statistic: 2/3 of the world's chocolate is consumed by females.

                              I try to do my part on behalf of the underrepresented male contingency...
                              Last edited by Betorq; 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM.
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                                Me too! Chocolate macaroons rock me out & up into the ethers. I make mine w/ erythritol & stevia instead of the invert sugar. I'd leave out the almond flour from these & thereby fully macaroonize them!

                                An interesting statistic: 2/3 of the world's chocolate is consumed by females.

                                I try to do my part on behalf of the underrepresented male contingency...
                                Feed me homemade macaroons and I will follow you anywhere.................

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X