Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Fat Bread looks good. You are one heck of a cook PB.
    Fat bread was good. Thanks for the tip as to where to find the recipe, by googling, "Free the Animal, Fat Bread". This bread solves so many complaints from my newly primal, semi-reluctant maternal unit...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

    Comment


    • I am sexy..... that is all
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

      Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

      CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


      Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

      Comment


      • hi paleobird! i just want to come out of lurk mode (new subscriber, just researching PB for now) and want to say first of all congratulations to having your success story published....just a FANTASTIC motivator...

        i'm 61 and found out 3 years ago i have hashimoto's and CAD (the CAD was caused by the extravagant increase of LDL and trigs which came about because of the hashi's) .....i gained about 30 pounds in the last 5 years as my energy level plummeted to depths i never thought possible....i have always been fit, doing gym workouts, cycling, hiking, etc...and i literally could not get up off the couch for almost a year....i'm on thyroid meds now and it seems to help, but i'm convinced my energy level will never return until i lose the excess fat and build my muscle endurance again, hence i found this site..

        also, i want to commend you on your 'food porn'....this is fabulous seeing the pictures as i am a bit of a foodie as well....i know you wrote that you weren't interested in a food blog because you cook without a recipe, which i understand, BUT (here she comes with her big but<g>) would you mind just adding a bit more detail to how you concocted some of your dishes? nothing needed like 2 tablespoons of this and 1 cup of that....just a general list of ingredients and cooking method...i'll understand if that is too much work for you, but dayam, it's almost torture seeing some of the fabulous meals and not quite sure how to make the dish (especially sauces!)

        anyway, thank you again for your marvelous journal here and having read your results and how your health has improved, i'm very tempted to go the PB route...have not read the book, just dove into the forum and landed here...

        beatriz

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          Fat Bread looks good. You are one heck of a cook PB.
          Hiya, Pebbles. How you doing?
          Thanks. Check out the recipe on that thread. It's not magic, it's pretty straightforward. But ya, I am a good cook too.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Betorq View Post
            Fat bread was good. Thanks for the tip as to where to find the recipe, by googling, "Free the Animal, Fat Bread". This bread solves so many complaints from my newly primal, semi-reluctant maternal unit...
            Great. I'm going to try making French toast out of it sometime today. That's one of the few uses for bread that I actually do miss. I had thought about this for my Dad too but I gave him a taste test and he nixed it. Oh well, more for me. If you expect it to taste and feel just like flour bread it's not going to do it but if you are open to a new sensation it is yummy. Dad doesn't do novelty well.

            Originally posted by quelsen View Post
            I am sexy..... that is all
            Tell us something we don't know, Honey Badger.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mdrive View Post
              hi paleobird! i just want to come out of lurk mode (new subscriber, just researching PB for now) and want to say first of all congratulations to having your success story published....just a FANTASTIC motivator...

              i'm 61 and found out 3 years ago i have hashimoto's and CAD (the CAD was caused by the extravagant increase of LDL and trigs which came about because of the hashi's) .....i gained about 30 pounds in the last 5 years as my energy level plummeted to depths i never thought possible....i have always been fit, doing gym workouts, cycling, hiking, etc...and i literally could not get up off the couch for almost a year....i'm on thyroid meds now and it seems to help, but i'm convinced my energy level will never return until i lose the excess fat and build my muscle endurance again, hence i found this site..

              also, i want to commend you on your 'food porn'....this is fabulous seeing the pictures as i am a bit of a foodie as well....i know you wrote that you weren't interested in a food blog because you cook without a recipe, which i understand, BUT (here she comes with her big but<g>) would you mind just adding a bit more detail to how you concocted some of your dishes? nothing needed like 2 tablespoons of this and 1 cup of that....just a general list of ingredients and cooking method...i'll understand if that is too much work for you, but dayam, it's almost torture seeing some of the fabulous meals and not quite sure how to make the dish (especially sauces!)

              anyway, thank you again for your marvelous journal here and having read your results and how your health has improved, i'm very tempted to go the PB route...have not read the book, just dove into the forum and landed here...

              beatriz
              Hi beatriz. Welcome to the Birdnest.
              You have a great attitude. Some thyroid issues and weight gain can become a downward spiral, if you let them. Some people just sit back and let them saying, "Oh, poor me, I'll never be able to lose weight<chomp, slurp, chomp>Pass the ice cream,please". It can also be an upward spiral, losing some weight, having more energy, metabolism correction, losing more weight, etc. That looks like the path that you are taking. Good for you.

              I really, really, really urge you to read the book before taking anything on the forum boards too seriously. There are a lot of people doling out a lot of advice some of which is great some of which may or may not apply to you and some of which is outright bull puckey.

              As to the food porn recipes, I will do my best to be more specific where I can. Sometimes I get a great spice mix or a sauce from my middle eastern grocer and have no idea exactly what is in it.

              Again, welcome.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                Tell us something we don't know, Honey Badger.
                S = K log W

                the more information you have in your head the less time you have to live.

                either empty your noggin or get a bigger brain
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                Comment


                • Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                  S = K log W

                  the more information you have in your head the less time you have to live.

                  either empty your noggin or get a bigger brain
                  Crap. I'm screwed.
                  Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

                  If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

                  Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

                  Comment


                  • thank you for the welcome

                    i will indeed get the book....finding grassfed beef is a bit of an issue, and fish is not the greatest here (compared to you lucky ones in CA and up and down the coasts)....i did order some grassfed liver and oxtails this morning...and i really wonder if it will show up still frozen in this hot weather!

                    my diet has never been 'poor' (at least according to the 'normal' healthy eating guidelines) and have always ate plenty of veggies, lean meats, eggs, greek yogurt, etc....the hashi's does really rotten things to your metabolism, feeling excessively fatigued and cold all of the time....

                    i'm back onto a fitness plan, using fun tools to help me stay motivated (polar HRM, cardio tracker for my android, and a food and exercise web program that seems to be fairly accurate, called cron-o-meter)

                    i can tell a bit difference in just one week energy wise....and all i'm doing is a 2 mile walk and various weight exercises (dumb bells at home) stretching and lunges out the wazoo...so getting the eating plan down for optimum nutrition is my next really big goal....and the food pr0n helps! thank again...oh and i just saw the gams pic....wow! those are killer....i AM going to get my hot legs back! thanks for the motivation!

                    Comment


                    • I'm doing well. I just got back from a sun filled Florida vacation and am enjoying the last weeks of summer before go back to work. I am currently doing Whole 30, but I may still try the bread soon to see if it would work for my kids.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                      Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                      Comment


                      • ?
                        The Wolf Cub is a rescue mutt from Baja California so I have no idea what breed he is. I refer to him as my Pure Bred Mexican Street Mutt. A lot of the feral dogs down there are interbred with coyotes so he may be part that and part quien sabe?
                        that is fantastic....do you mind if i ask how he was trained to become your 'service' dog? we have a mexican dog as well....she is beautiful....we found her near a vineyard where we were visiting (don't ask about the wine, or you'll go off the wagon!) we were able to see her 'daddy' (huge dog that looked like lab/rottweiler mix...all black, and the mom was your generic looking mexican street dog and was all white....'garnacha' (our dog's name, named after one of our favorite grape varietals) is mostly white with huge black patches and one eye has a black 'patch' we call her the 'holtstein dog' <vbg>

                        one very lucky dog you have (and us too!)

                        Comment


                        • Wow, you have a busy journal, PB . The bread looks great! I might try it sometime, when I'm ready to step out a bit and start testing again. (Nuts are among my current trigger list sadly. I want to retest butter first, then almond butter - sometime.)
                          I got my keto-meter, and have been at 0.3mmol/L the last 2 mornings. That's about average for a morning reading after an overnight fast - not flash at all considering my current eating patterns!! BUT it should deepen as I go along, and get to the sweet spot of 1 - 3 mmol/L over time. My IBS is still absent , and my mood is fine. There's something to the idea that I was constantly on the edge of carb flu last time I tried the low carb approach. Weight has been down the last 2 times I've measured . . . at a 6 year low now. Happy dance!!
                          Last edited by Jac; 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM.
                          Started Feb 18 2011

                          Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                          Journalling here

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mdrive View Post
                            i will indeed get the book....finding grassfed beef is a bit of an issue, and fish is not the greatest here (compared to you lucky ones in CA and up and down the coasts)....i did order some grassfed liver and oxtails this morning...and i really wonder if it will show up still frozen in this hot weather!

                            my diet has never been 'poor' (at least according to the 'normal' healthy eating guidelines) and have always ate plenty of veggies, lean meats, eggs, greek yogurt, etc....the hashi's does really rotten things to your metabolism, feeling excessively fatigued and cold all of the time....

                            i'm back onto a fitness plan, using fun tools to help me stay motivated (polar HRM, cardio tracker for my android, and a food and exercise web program that seems to be fairly accurate, called cron-o-meter)

                            i can tell a bit difference in just one week energy wise....and all i'm doing is a 2 mile walk and various weight exercises (dumb bells at home) stretching and lunges out the wazoo...so getting the eating plan down for optimum nutrition is my next really big goal....and the food pr0n helps! thank again...oh and i just saw the gams pic....wow! those are killer....i AM going to get my hot legs back! thanks for the motivation!
                            And Rod Stewart sings..."HOT LEGS, you wearing me out. HOT LEGS, you make me scream and shout......" You go girl.

                            Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                            I'm doing well. I just got back from a sun filled Florida vacation and am enjoying the last weeks of summer before go back to work. I am currently doing Whole 30, but I may still try the bread soon to see if it would work for my kids.
                            I'm doing the whole 30 too but I like what Richard at Free the Animal said about this bread having a very limited ingredient list and that the orthorexy about not paleofying anything can be taken to an extreme.

                            Originally posted by mdrive View Post
                            that is fantastic....do you mind if i ask how he was trained to become your 'service' dog? we have a mexican dog as well....she is beautiful....we found her near a vineyard where we were visiting (don't ask about the wine, or you'll go off the wagon!) we were able to see her 'daddy' (huge dog that looked like lab/rottweiler mix...all black, and the mom was your generic looking mexican street dog and was all white....'garnacha' (our dog's name, named after one of our favorite grape varietals) is mostly white with huge black patches and one eye has a black 'patch' we call her the 'holtstein dog' <vbg>
                            one very lucky dog you have (and us too!)
                            The ability that a dog has to sense when someone is going to have a seizure is innate, you can't train them to do it. They either know it or they don't. So, I have jsut given my dog basic obidience training myself about how to behave in public, to be graceful about little kids pulling on his ears, to sit at my feet under the table at a restaurant, etc. Training for other conditions such as assisting a blind or deaf person would require a specialized trainer I would suppose.

                            Originally posted by Jac View Post
                            Wow, you have a busy journal, PB . The bread looks great! I might try it sometime, when I'm ready to step out a bit and start testing again. (Nuts are among my current trigger list sadly. I want to retest butter first, then almond butter - sometime.)
                            I got my keto-meter, and have been at 0.3mmol/L the last 2 mornings. That's about average for a morning reading after an overnight fast - not flash at all considering my current eating patterns!! BUT it should deepen as I go along, and get to the sweet spot of 1 - 3 mmol/L over time. My IBS is still absent , and my mood is fine. There's something to the idea that I was constantly on the edge of carb flu last time I tried the low carb approach. Weight has been down the last 2 times I've measured . . . at a 6 year low now. Happy dance!!
                            Yay!. Welcome to Ketoland! Yes this bread is pretty nutty. Do coconuts bother you?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                              S = K log W
                              the more information you have in your head the less time you have to live.
                              either empty your noggin or get a bigger brain
                              Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                              Crap. I'm screwed.

                              Comment


                              • paleobird: blame my lack of reading comprehension on exhaustion from running after this kid all the time. LOL it is seriously exhausting sometimes. yesterday, I had three bags and he slipped away from me and went tearing off into the library. there was no way to keep up with him. honestly, I was freaking out because half the time I couldn't see him, and he was tearing around like . . . i don't know what. like crazy.

                                I had to be very, very stern with him, which of course then people think i'm just the meanest mother ever. "oh, it's so good he's excited bout the library." yes, I know. but he can't' just run around like a crazy person out of my line of sight. There are other people in the library whom he could harm or disrupt, too!

                                I'm all for him running around, of course, in the right environments, but my goodness! And now he does this new thing where if you grab his hand/wrist when he doesn't' want you too, he goes "ouch! ouch! you are hurting me! it hurts!"

                                Of course, it doesn't hurt at all, but he'll start yelling it as we're walking down the street as if i'm abusing him.

                                Thankfully, the only people giving me the evil eye about it are people who obviously don't have kids. Everyone else who does have kids are giving me the old 'yes, know what you are going through, it's ok. no one is going to call child services on you."

                                It's illegal to spank your children here, but people also realize that sometimes kids just act up/out/crazy. He mostly does this when he wants to run free, but the environment isn't safe, you know? And he'll go "BUT IT IS SAFE!" and "I'M BIG! I CAN DO IT!"

                                So tired. lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X